Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Methane synthesis is pointless

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Methane synthesis is pointless Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Methane synthesis is pointless - 6/20/2020 5:39:15 PM   
YppY

I do not see why you would ever want to build a methane synthesis plants over a synthetic fuel refinery. The only positive is that initially it takes less workers to build. But that is far outweighed by how much more expensive it is in resources. On top of that subsequent upgrade turns cost more while synthetic fuel refineries cost less and never increase.
Also methane synthesis plants says it binds CO2 with water but it uses no water in production.

Personally I feel that the cost of the two plants should be flipped while requiring water in methane synthesis production. That way synthetic fuel refineries is more inline with how expensive the other plants that produce metal and rare metal out of nothing. And it would give you and interesting alternative on planets where it is possible to do methane synthesis but where you might be strapped for water.

That or make there production cost different amounts of power and workers to at least make them different, so to give you a choice in what you can spare the most. And up the build cost of synthetic fuel refineries, it is too cheep compared to the cost of all other buildings.
Post #: 1
RE: Methane synthesis is pointless - 6/20/2020 6:20:14 PM   
zgrssd

Do you only play on Planets with breathable atmosphere?
Because that would explain why you do not care about using more workers on the expansion of the domefarm to feed that Biofuel Refinery.
Lack of fuel indicates lack of Biosphere and Breathable atmosphere.

Also, I did not yet get around to unlock this building. Could you please post a screenshoot of how the T1 and following look?

(in reply to YppY)
Post #: 2
RE: Methane synthesis is pointless - 6/20/2020 7:58:54 PM   
YppY

No I'm talking any planet. What I'm comparing is the methane synthesis plants and a synthetic fuel refinery, they are in the same tech group and fill the same role. I think the biofuel refinery works very well and gives you an interesting choice of producing a lot of fuel but it being more labor intensive since it uses food.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by YppY -- 6/20/2020 7:59:20 PM >

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 3
RE: Methane synthesis is pointless - 6/20/2020 8:00:38 PM   
YppY

Other part.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to YppY)
Post #: 4
RE: Methane synthesis is pointless - 6/20/2020 8:33:50 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: YppY

No I'm talking any planet. What I'm comparing is the methane synthesis plants and a synthetic fuel refinery, they are in the same tech group and fill the same role. I think the biofuel refinery works very well and gives you an interesting choice of producing a lot of fuel but it being more labor intensive since it uses food.

Thanks, with that we can talk

The main issue when comparing it to a Biofuel Plant, is that the cost for food is a unknown. If I could use open Air farms? No question, Biofuel is better.
In that case Biofuel + Open Air Farm is even a contender vs the Oil Drilling Facility! 500 Fuel on paper is very nice, but you can put it only on specific spots and Difficulty propably makes it a whole lot less production, nevermind the waste of upgrading the dang thing!

But if you got to add 5000 workers, 2 Machines, 200 Metal, 10 IP for a T1 Domefarm to the T1 Biofuel Planet? Maybe even the costs for a Wind Trap to get the water?
- Methane Synthesis is without a question, more worker efficient. It's energy consumption can be run on 1 T1 Solar Panels, wich are nowhere close to the 5000-6000 Worker you would have to add.
- In Construction resourcs and time, Methan Plant looses easily. Machines, High Tech parts, even Rare Metals (it still wins in workers).
- If you compare how much fuel you can get out of 1 Hex asset, it is also better on each tier:
T1: 250/200 Fuel
T2: 1000/800 Fuel
T3: 2250/1800 Fuel
Here it is a good 25% better

(in reply to YppY)
Post #: 5
RE: Methane synthesis is pointless - 6/20/2020 9:03:41 PM   
YppY

I'm not talking about biofuel. Biofuel is fine. I'm saying a methane synthesis plants is pointless compared to a synthetic fuel refinery. Just compare this to the images above.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 6
RE: Methane synthesis is pointless - 6/20/2020 9:04:14 PM   
YppY

Other part.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to YppY)
Post #: 7
RE: Methane synthesis is pointless - 6/20/2020 9:41:24 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: YppY

I'm not talking about biofuel. Biofuel is fine. I'm saying a methane synthesis plants is pointless compared to a synthetic fuel refinery. Just compare this to the images above.

Oh yes, vs those values the Plants it has no chance. But I think something is wrong with this building.
Construction cost for Manpower are always as high or lower then production manpower cost (this helps ensuring you got a good amount of workers for production, when it finishes). This building breaks the pattern. I think it is bugged.

(in reply to YppY)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Methane synthesis is pointless Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI