Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Minefields

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Minefields Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Minefields - 6/20/2020 7:54:23 PM   
GodwinW

I would like to be able to put down minefields (can be done by any Infantry but requires x amount of Ammunition to be collected and consumed on the Hex (so it ties into having a decent supply for a decent time on that hex) and also being able to clear them with a Minesweeper (just move into the hex with a Minesweeper unit and they're gone).

Anti-tank mines and anti-personnel mines both (2 different types).

I think it may be a nice addition which opens up new strategies.

"His border is undefended! Let's go!"

Recon of 100 or higher on the hex indicates their presence.

Should be a third row tier tech. Later than RPG's and before Lasers. Imo.
Post #: 1
RE: Minefields - 6/20/2020 8:11:48 PM   
zgrssd

Mines are likely intrinsic part of any Subunit deployment.
And the "Claymore Expert" unit feat is specifically about adding mines to defensive planning.
Having mines blow up your troops when they already fighting uphill into ruins (both ways), is also not going to help defeat majors.

Mining a whole hex? That is a lot of ammo. And particulary infantery is really good at just going around mines. There have been (and still area) borders like this. But those were Cold War era results.

Also you do not need any special mine sweeper vehicle. All you need is some infanterists with knives.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 6/20/2020 8:12:49 PM >

(in reply to GodwinW)
Post #: 2
RE: Minefields - 6/21/2020 10:56:26 AM   
GodwinW

quote:

ORIGINAL: zgrssd

I just thought I throw in that I do not think it nessesary - or even problematic. So Vic knows where to put it on "the list of things to add/change"

Yes, you do that for an inordinate amount of my suggestions (and probably those of others). It's something I do not enjoy. Probably because you don't simply say "I don't think it's necessary.", but you try to undermine my wish with, to me, irrelevant arguments.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 3
RE: Minefields - 6/21/2020 11:30:51 AM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: GodwinW

quote:

ORIGINAL: zgrssd

I just thought I throw in that I do not think it nessesary - or even problematic. So Vic knows where to put it on "the list of things to add/change"

Yes, you do that for an inordinate amount of my suggestions (and probably those of others). It's something I do not enjoy. Probably because you don't simply say "I don't think it's necessary.", but you try to undermine my wish with, to me, irrelevant arguments.

If Vic likes the idea, what I write is irrelevant either way. But that is just how things are in sugestion forums.

Thanks for the feedback on not writing "I think" often enough.

(in reply to GodwinW)
Post #: 4
RE: Minefields - 6/21/2020 12:36:35 PM   
Tchey

"Mining a full hex cost lots of ammo", yes, but no.
An hex is about 200km, but the scale is "stupid" in many ways, and "nice" in other ways.
Sure you can avoid a mine field in a 200km large space, but you can also avoid a 300 Gunmen troops then, or even a 10K men group with vehicles, actually.
But gameplay-side, no, you cannot. If there is even jut one small unit, you can’t avoid it.
So, gameplay-side, for me it would make sense to have minefields, bunkers, barbed-wire, and other fixed defensive structures.
I’d quite like having something similar to an "anti-road" (barbed-wire-like), to at least guard some borders from being taken too easily by anything walking in.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 5
RE: Minefields - 6/21/2020 12:47:55 PM   
Cornuthaum

Something that lets me increase the max entrenchment values possible on a hex (like you can only have 50 max entrenchment on a plains hex) would be nice - trenchlines, barbed wire, bunkers, you know, all those nice things

(in reply to Tchey)
Post #: 6
RE: Minefields - 6/21/2020 1:06:50 PM   
Hazard151

Don't think of the unit in the hex as static. It's not 100 men or more sitting still in their bases; they are actively patrolling throughout the region looking for indications of enemy forces, and it's highly likely that a good chunk of the battles are a result of raids on the supply lines or the threat there of. Given the large distances it's nearly inevitable that is one of the few ways available to force an engagement.

(in reply to Tchey)
Post #: 7
RE: Minefields - 6/21/2020 1:11:24 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tchey

Sure you can avoid a mine field in a 200km large space, but you can also avoid a 300 Gunmen troops then, or even a 10K men group with vehicles, actually.
But gameplay-side, no, you cannot. If there is even jut one small unit, you can’t avoid it.

The difference is that those 300 to 10k men are actively looking for you and want you to give them some space (ideally around 200km )

Mines are just lying around, slowly decomposing, until someone literally steps on them or gets in their (sensor) space. They are not very "proactive in target aquisition".

Maybe as strips on the Hex border, to act somewhat like a River or Escaprment would? But the game already favors defense heavily. And my biggest worry about anything that adds to defense, is to make the ruins in the Major Capitols even harder to attack.
Maybe if they set teh minimum entrechnment to something like 100, without adding to any hexes that already have more then that? Then they could not add to the already really high 250 of Ruins.

(in reply to Tchey)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Minefields Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI