Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Base Units

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Base Units Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Base Units - 6/23/2020 9:37:30 PM   
trutyjoh

Playing Bitter Victory and have run across Base Units. Seem to be per division These units are marked as supply units and are fairly powerful. they tend to slip away during combat, unless surrounded... , Both sides have them but aside from a supply source (are they independent?, or must they trace a LOS? ...) not sure of there value or how I should use them... THeynare different from Corp/Army HQ's...
Post #: 1
RE: Base Units - 6/23/2020 11:05:14 PM   
Hellen_slith

Hello, the base unit as shown below has that big "dot" that designates it as a supply unit. I'm not 100% sure, but these are mobile, independent supply (that don't need to "trace" their supply) but I could be wrong about that. Their effective supply radius is 4 hexes, and you can see that they do not carry much firepower -- obviously, they are not "front line" combat units.

Edit: see also, section 8.3 Unit Special Capabilities (page 39 of manual):

"SUPPLY UNITS: Increases the Supply Level in each supplied location that can trace a path no longer than the Supply Radius to the Supply unit. Additionally, Supply Units multiply supply distribution to adjacent Cooperative units by 1.5. There is no effect on Unsupplied locations."]

So, this unit does TWO things: (1) increases supply levels to SUPPLIED LOCATIONS that can trace a path to the unit within the unit supply radius -- in this case, 4, AND (2) gives 1.5x supply distribution to ADJACENT COOPERATIVE UNITS -- in this case, since this Supply is "ARMY SUPPORT", units that have that Tan background. I think I said those right.

So, two functions: one related to map / supply, and one related to increasing distribution to adjacent tan units.

I hope this helps!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Hellen_slith -- 6/23/2020 11:23:52 PM >

(in reply to trutyjoh)
Post #: 2
RE: Base Units - 6/24/2020 12:45:40 PM   
Custer7

Hellen_slith, that is an excellent answer. They do extend the range of a formation supply to the front. They are the rear area troops. The place the guns and butter go to first before redistributed to the line units. Plus the upper level mechanics, M.A.S.H. medical section, other support troops and green replacements. With a 40% proficiency they are not so good in combat. The transport vehicles and porters in the unit contribute to the supply level when not moved. Destroying the enemies supply unit reduces their supply level too.

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 3
Depot ICON - 6/24/2020 1:24:57 PM   
rhinobones

Note that the depot icon supplied with TOAW IV shows the depot as a solid ball. However, in screen shots you’ll see that many players use the alternative depot icon provided in the original TOAW icon set (TOAW III and earlier versions). Mods for this alternative icon are available.

Regards

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

(in reply to trutyjoh)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Base Units Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI