Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

tech tree and energy

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> tech tree and energy Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
tech tree and energy - 6/23/2020 8:31:02 PM   
chb75

I found the tech tree with too many tech not properly "spaced"

For example laser is far better than gauss rifle but booth are in the same tier, often I got laser before gauss: maybe with shield, at endgame gauss can have a reason.. but i doubt.. laser should be a tier higher .. as is terribly effective (with laser minors are just tiny nuisance).

Also padded enviro->combat armor->heavy combat armor come very fast in quick order: usually there is no reason not to use the last one : maybe if there is a very low metal output.. but they are way too useful better to pay 2/3 metal more and not to have to rebuild lost regiments.

Most of resorce generators are in the same tier with tiny differences, once you reserched 1 kind ther isnt any need to have the other (usually).

finally my main point:
solar plants are too efficient.. why to build for example a volcano generator that consume more or less the same but need
1) to find a volcano
2) use water
to have more or less the same result ?

Just building a solar plant in a city then the energy is .. endless and cheap so -> enldess resources
Solar plants should have higher cost in hi tech, or lower max output so that you need to build in the open and a lot (maybe not in forest or cities).
maybe with an output inverse to rain otuput.. my idea is to nerf them..and a lot!

just some idae!
Post #: 1
RE: tech tree and energy - 6/23/2020 10:15:33 PM   
zgrssd

Never got to try the Volcano Generator.
What is Worker Upkeep, production cost, Production?
Do you need stuff like rare metals or High tech parts for building it? Or just Metal, IP and Machines?

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 6/23/2020 10:16:06 PM >

(in reply to chb75)
Post #: 2
RE: tech tree and energy - 6/24/2020 6:24:39 AM   
Gozzon

Laser get's completely wrecked by liquid armor. You might also discover gauss way before you discover laser has been case for me in quite a few games and I definitely do not sit and wait for laser to be discovered. Something to keep in mind.

Solar panels definitely are way too cheap and it is really easy to just spam them when you need power. Maybe they could require 1 hi-tec component per level to build so that they are pushed a bit further in when they can be built and promotes upgrading them more than spamming them everywhere.
Having a production penalty proportional to rainfall sounds interesting

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 3
RE: tech tree and energy - 6/24/2020 8:00:35 AM   
Munashe

From a gameplay perspective, solar is the best, and I hold out for it as much as possible. From a realism perspective, it really shouldn't cost more. It's possible to just use cheap reflective mirrors to focus the sunlight for heat to drive turbines. (Salt, water, whatever) Solar could easily be argued down in cost, or there could be a steam based solar plant that consumes water and takes a good chunk of metal to build. Rather than nerfing solar, I think something like a volcano powered geothermal plant should receive a big buff. I also wouldn't mind seeing the power output of solar be reduced if the cost stayed the same. Making solar take advanced parts just rubs me the wrong way. I like the idea of having more modifiers affecting things based on the planet you're on. Atmosphere density, rain, distance + star type(?), elevation(?) all affecting solar energy output. You may be better off with some other power plant if your planet is a couple AU from the parent star.

I'd also agree with the general thread premise that the tech tree could use some adjusting. I saw a desire for more control over how research is focused, related to the way you can easily kill a game by failing to get a power plant while opening up too many research paths. Some way to direct focus onto a section of the tree could fix that issue; it would take away from some of the random nature of the current research system, but that might be for the better. There's still a ton of randomness the player has to account for.

(in reply to Gozzon)
Post #: 4
RE: tech tree and energy - 6/24/2020 8:20:09 AM   
Lovenought

Wind speed would be important too, I think. Super fast winds presumably mean dust and grime gets all over everything, necessitating constant cleaning. I know the dust storms on Mars would be the biggest blow to solar there.

(in reply to Munashe)
Post #: 5
RE: tech tree and energy - 6/24/2020 12:10:46 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lovenought

Wind speed would be important too, I think. Super fast winds presumably mean dust and grime gets all over everything, necessitating constant cleaning. I know the dust storms on Mars would be the biggest blow to solar there.

I think the part where it only receives less then 50% of the Earth Solar Radiation due to distances and dust in the air is a bigger factor.

Cleaning is what the Upkeep and Production cost workers do. But on mars it is low enough that Solar Suplemented Rovers can work there.

If I wanted to make them more variable, I would change the Solar Radiation footprint of the planets.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 6/24/2020 12:11:35 PM >

(in reply to Lovenought)
Post #: 6
RE: tech tree and energy - 6/24/2020 7:51:30 PM   
Clux

I think than by far the most useless tech is the Gas Powered Small Arms, since it has lower attack than the previous tech and the reduction on ammo usage doesn't make it worth it, since if you are really struggling making more ammo, you won't have enough resources to afford using lower quality troops than your opponents. Therefore, it should have an attack/defense value of the median between automatic rifles and laser rifles.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 7
RE: tech tree and energy - 6/24/2020 7:53:08 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Clux

I think than by far the most useless tech is the Gas Powered Small Arms, since it has lower attack than the previous tech and the reduction on ammo usage doesn't make it worth it, since if you are really struggling making more ammo, you won't have enough resources to afford using lower quality troops than your opponents. Therefore, it should have an attack/defense value of the median between automatic rifles and laser rifles.

I think it should jsut be lower tech. It is a 18th century invention, after all.

(in reply to Clux)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> tech tree and energy Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI