Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How's this game?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> How's this game? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How's this game? - 6/24/2020 1:17:00 AM   
ThunderLizard11

This one's different than the usual Matrix/Slitherine fare I'm used to. How do people like it and what type of player does it appeal to?
Post #: 1
RE: How's this game? - 6/24/2020 1:19:46 AM   
Clux

Its very different and its kinda hard to get into at first. Its a great game for players who likes 4X and wargaming games. If you are really curios about it, search a YT series :)

(in reply to ThunderLizard11)
Post #: 2
RE: How's this game? - 6/24/2020 1:27:52 AM   
Lovenought

I like it, but it still has a bunch of kinks. Biggest one that seems to get a lot of people is that the RNG is a bit too severe at the moment in a few areas, which is compounded by how much of a time investment it is. I haven't had terrible experiences with that, but i've only played three games, and i'm still only at turn 68 on my first serious game (where I know what i'm doing. Quit the others because I messed up horribly, but learned a lot in the process.)

By RNG I mean you might not start with resources like steel (unless playing on Beginner). Or might start in some other really bad position that becomes apparent over time. And unless you know a lot about planetary physics you are going to be re-rolling a lot during game creation until you get whatever type of planet you want. And ofc there are bugs and performance issues and such here and there, but that's with every new game, and none of them (that i've encountered) are game-breaking. And a few weird design choices, but most of them are getting cleaned up after player feedback.

Overall I really enjoy it, it's the first videogame i've really sunk my teeth into in several months. I think i've put in at least 20 or more hours so far. Maybe 30. Don't know for sure because it's not on Steam yet, so it doesn't track.

I really love these kinds of grognardy games, and i'm loving this. It gives me flashbacks to War In The West. It's less like Civilisation or Hearts of Iron and more like Aurora 4X, or Dwarf Fortress, or Gary Grigsby's War in the West/East/Pacific. If you like anything like that you'll probably like this. If you're the kind of person who loves diving into something, having no idea what you are doing, and slowly unraveling it all and mastering it. A lot of trial and experimentation, manual referencing, and forum posting

< Message edited by Lovenought -- 6/24/2020 1:29:02 AM >

(in reply to ThunderLizard11)
Post #: 3
RE: How's this game? - 6/24/2020 1:30:10 AM   
mroyer

I'm typically a WW2 gamer - going way back to 1970s. I use to read sifi, long ago, but never really gamed it. I stumbled onto Shadow Empire by chance and, on a lark, decided to give it a go. As Clux says, it's difficult to get into - lots of things going on - but boy, so far I've had a blast with it. To me it feels familiar in that it's core wargame mechanics have a very mid 20th century feel. But, overlay on top of that an economic, political and social backdrop that you need to manage. They give your military actions real meaning beyond just the collection of victory points. This is very cool.

Then there's the whole planet generation thing... so awesome.

-Mark R.

(in reply to Clux)
Post #: 4
RE: How's this game? - 6/24/2020 1:38:27 AM   
eddieballgame

A unique blend of 4X & rpg combined with a UI that that lets you handle a plethora of decisions & actions in a streamlined manner.
There is also multiplayer via email or some other method to transfer a small file & 'hotseat'.
The large free manual combined with multiple YouTube videos (DasTactics +++) & the all important engaged 'dev' & community will ensure this gem will become a proverbial classic.

< Message edited by eddieballgame -- 6/24/2020 3:14:15 AM >

(in reply to Lovenought)
Post #: 5
RE: How's this game? - 6/24/2020 2:55:16 AM   
budd

It's like Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa and Advanced Tactics Gold had a baby, and the baby was on steroids. It's a 4X with a more wargaming bent.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to eddieballgame)
Post #: 6
RE: How's this game? - 6/24/2020 3:49:56 AM   
FAA

It’s quite hardcore, as it can simulate a great variety of settings, some of which are extremely hard. Beginner makes things easier, but don’t expect a walk in the park. It’s a harsh, unforgiving world, and you need to play accordingly.

< Message edited by FAA -- 6/24/2020 3:55:04 AM >

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 7
RE: How's this game? - 6/24/2020 4:42:05 AM   
jwarrenw13

I agree with FAA. I don't think the RNG are too severe. It is just, as FAA said, "a harsh, unforgiving world."

(in reply to FAA)
Post #: 8
RE: How's this game? - 6/24/2020 4:43:11 AM   
diamondspider

If you want a picture of this game, imagine a boot stomping on the human face, forever...

Kidding! It is one of my top 5 favorite games ever and best recent game by far. Finally a very deep and complicated game doesn't have a boring WWII theme (and here by boring I mean that the first 10,000 hours of playing these games were not boring but, eventually, unless one is a huge fan of a theme, it inevitably comes). Distant Worlds is probably the last game that came a little bit close, but this game is at least 10x more complex.

(in reply to FAA)
Post #: 9
RE: How's this game? - 6/24/2020 6:00:02 AM   
Zyphtan

New Favorite game. I have so many games and lots of them I love but this game is fantastic and it really draws you in. I saw Rimmy play it and show off some of the systems and knew I had to play it. Been having a blast. A game has never drawn me in so much that I will actively participate in discussions and try to further my knowledge of the game and it's mechanics.

I don't think I'll look at civ again lol

(in reply to diamondspider)
Post #: 10
RE: How's this game? - 6/24/2020 6:10:44 AM   
eddyvegas

As you can see from my post count, I would never buy a wargame. Terrible sound and graphics, way too many rules, who cares about the Franco-Prussian war anyway. But I saw a post, then a youtube, then I dithered for a couple days, but I had money in my PayPal, so I went for it. Got down to a planet, looked at the graphics and the buttons, and said, 'man, you just wasted 30€'.

Well here we are 2 weeks later, and not only am I still playing the heck out of it, but in my opinion it's the most addictive game I've played since Rimworld. Yes it's janky as heck, yes the sound effects and voice acting are terrible, yes the UI is like a Frankenstein monster with different arms and legs attached to the body. Doesn't matter. This game, somehow, broke through the jank.

I also made a UI mod for the game, it's in the Graphic Mods section.

Anyway, I like this game. And I shouldn't.

Post #: 11
RE: How's this game? - 6/24/2020 8:20:29 AM   
Tchey

I love the idea of wargames and 4X.
I dislike "real war settings" like WW I or II, Napoleon etc, i find them very boring, not appealing at all, for some reason.
I love sci-fi and post-apo themes in general.
I dislike game with "XX amount of units at start, deal with them", unless it’s Chess or similar...
I love base building and growing my civilisation.
I love indie games usually, with depth hidden behind complexe GUI or barebone visuals.

So far, i really like a lot Shadow Empire.

< Message edited by Tchey -- 6/24/2020 8:22:13 AM >

(in reply to eddyvegas)
Post #: 12
RE: How's this game? - 6/24/2020 8:26:54 AM   
Fleshbits

You aren't going to get an unbiased opinion when asking on the game's official forums...

(in reply to Tchey)
Post #: 13
RE: How's this game? - 6/24/2020 8:45:42 AM   
diamondspider

quote:

You aren't going to get an unbiased opinion when asking on the game's official forums...

I can 100% guarantee you that I am giving my unbiased opinion on how much I like the game. If someone wants an opinion about a game that is unbiased how can this be achieved?

(in reply to Fleshbits)
Post #: 14
RE: How's this game? - 6/24/2020 9:20:32 AM   
Fleshbits

quote:

ORIGINAL: diamondspider

I can 100% guarantee you that I am giving my unbiased opinion on how much I like the game.

If you weren't in love with the game you wouldn't be here.

quote:

ORIGINAL: diamondspider
If someone wants an opinion about a game that is unbiased how can this be achieved?

Pretty hard to do for a game that hasn't been released and most people haven't heard of.

After it has, any public review system does fine.

< Message edited by Fleshbits -- 6/24/2020 9:22:29 AM >

Post #: 15
RE: How's this game? - 6/24/2020 7:28:57 PM   
Grotius

Well, there have been a couple public reviews, yes? Generally very positive, but noting that the UI is quirky and the graphics are not fantastic. That's my take on it: terrific, innovative, addictive gameplay -- but the UI, graphics and especially the documentation could use an upgrade.

Explorimate has an extremely detailed and favorable review here: https://explorminate.co/what-to-expect-shadow-empire/

Wargamer has also reviewed it favorably, but I think that site has some affiliation with Matrix or Slitherine, doesn't it?

(in reply to Fleshbits)
Post #: 16
RE: How's this game? - 6/24/2020 8:24:09 PM   
willgamer

Hard to learn...

Harder to master....

Harder yet to put down and go to bed.....

Rex Lex or Lex Rex?

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 17
RE: How's this game? - 6/24/2020 9:05:29 PM   
bradley364

Addictive AF. Like other's have said, I have never tried a game of this caliber and complexity. But after binging DasTactic's videos, and skimming the manual, I jumped in. It was tough, but I am learning, and getting better, but it still feels like I'm just getting started.

(in reply to willgamer)
Post #: 18
RE: How's this game? - 6/24/2020 9:29:55 PM   
josefrees

Definitely fun and interesting game. the hard part is just getting comfortable with the core and figuring out how to do what you wanna do but I’ve played a few games that work the same way in certain areas. Like combat and army management is a lot like HoI4 but with a few more wrinkles.

(in reply to bradley364)
Post #: 19
RE: How's this game? - 6/24/2020 9:52:41 PM   
jwarrenw13

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fleshbits

What I think you meant to say is that most people who are discussing the game on the game's official forum have a positive opinion toward the game and are likely to say positive things about it or they would not be playing it and wouldn't be posting.

That is not bias. Bias has a negative connotation that implies prejudice, as defined by Merriam-Webster "an inclination of temperament or outlook especially : a personal and sometimes unreasoned judgment : PREJUDICE'." Merriam-Webster defines prejudice as "(1) preconceived judgment or opinion (2): an adverse opinion or leaning formed without just grounds or before sufficient knowledge."

I am not biased toward SE. I have a positive opinion of it after playing a good many hours.

(in reply to Fleshbits)
Post #: 20
RE: How's this game? - 6/24/2020 11:09:55 PM   
ShadeAuthority

People who are on the forum will like the game. If they didn't like it, why would they be here? Matrix are not censoring views; some posts have been highly critical of e.g. logistics, and they weren't censored. Vic even endorsed the constructive feedback.

(in reply to jwarrenw13)
Post #: 21
RE: How's this game? - 6/24/2020 11:27:19 PM   
Rosseau

I have been wargaming my whole life, which means I am older. And this game (for me) is harder than my day job. It demands (for me) far too much of a time and brain investment for the "gratification" 30-40 hours later. If you're lucky.

I will simply wait a few years until there are some mods available to make the game easier to break into.

But that is me, and I'm in the minority. There are some very good comments here. I would respectfully consider giving a bit less credence to those with a low post count who love the game to death.

OTOH, based on the unusually active forum for a new game release, it's obvious the design has brought new people into the fold. My guess is young and highly intelligent people!

(in reply to ShadeAuthority)
Post #: 22
RE: How's this game? - 6/25/2020 12:05:31 AM   
ShadeAuthority

Soren Johnson said there's no such thing as an easy level that's too easy. One negative of what I'm seeing is people getting crushed on beginner if they start in the wrong area. "Beginner" should be for beginners; not for people that have watched 15 hours of DasTactic videos.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 23
RE: How's this game? - 6/25/2020 1:31:26 AM   
Smidlee

All they have to do is to add one or two armies , one or two zones and they should easily handle the minors on beginner.

(By default it's on beginner difficulty so maybe Vic should change the default on two armies and one zone.)

< Message edited by Smidlee -- 6/25/2020 1:34:20 AM >

Post #: 24
RE: How's this game? - 6/25/2020 1:56:28 AM   
Jdane

Or at the very least, perhaps label some game start options as « recommended for beginner ».
But indeed, making it the default on beginner difficulty makes much sense.

I find it somewhat a pity people can be intimidated by the admittedly massive manual, when there's a tutorial in it - the whole chapter 4 « How to play ».
It might be a wise move to split it from the rest as a separate PDF file and call it « Tutorial ». This way people might be more likely to find it.

I've met some methodical people who told me honestly « Oh, thanks for the tip, I've yet to reach chapter 4. » Such a shortcut might come up handy.

< Message edited by Jdane -- 6/25/2020 1:58:29 AM >

(in reply to Smidlee)
Post #: 25
RE: How's this game? - 6/25/2020 2:41:10 AM   
mek42

I've been playing for less than a week and it is already on the desert island list.

I've done many learn and restart runs. Currently, I've savored the moment where I wanted to go more mechanized, but not enough fuel. I can make fuel from food, but not enough water. I can mine for water, but power consumption is a concern. If I do make more fuel I can use some fuel for power, but I need to research that tech first. I've started to make some fuel though andnam having power issues. If I turn off the lights at the bureaucrat offices, some of the furloughed staff are scientists, which means a delay to power plants. I have two small fights going on and two majors on my opposite border, one of which is blackmailing me. If one (or, Syndic forbid both) attack, I'll be eaten like a fish sandwich.

That was about 10 turns ago. In the end, I closed a metal mine and put my science team on half days. I couldn't slow down my factories; I needed to keep up on troop replacements. Now I've finished one minor war, am slowly wrapping up the other* and the blackmailing major has been eaten by two other majors, now on my border. If either of them attacks right now - fish sandwich. But I'm building factories, developing infrastructure. Maybe in another 10 - 20 turns I could attack a neighbor.

There's been other games, notably Skyrim and Ryzom where I've just sat and enjoyed a scenic view. This is the first time I've caught myself simply basking in the existance of the game.

(in reply to Jdane)
Post #: 26
RE: How's this game? - 6/25/2020 2:45:25 AM   
jwarrenw13

quote:

ORIGINAL: ShadeAuthority

Soren Johnson said there's no such thing as an easy level that's too easy. One negative of what I'm seeing is people getting crushed on beginner if they start in the wrong area. "Beginner" should be for beginners; not for people that have watched 15 hours of DasTactic videos.

I could see something like a tutorial planet option, with a set easy planet with a good beginning setup for new players to get them going. The advice entries could be expanded for that specific planet to give a great deal more advice and serve as something of a tutorial. I'm pretty good with complex games, but I did not feel even a little bit comfortable with this game until I went through most of DasTactic's tips and tricks Youtubes, and I usually don't watch more than 30-60 minutes of Youtubes for a game. I've started 8 or so games now and am finally sell into a game, 100+ turns, and I am still learning something about the game every turn.

Which leads to one piece of advice. I play with the manual open, and between turns I will often refer to it when I'm not looking at something else.

Post #: 27
RE: How's this game? - 6/25/2020 2:55:02 AM   
Rosseau

Thing is I'm not getting crushed by the enemy. I am struggling (on beginner) just to get enough resources to make the game interesting. I have a metal mine, for example, but still not enough metal to do much. As I said somewhere else, give me a file to modify to get some resources, and I can be on with my virtual life.

And then I read the posts and screen shots on the logistics, with traffic lights to manage, roads snaking everywhere, etc. And I admit, it's simply not gonna be fun.

(in reply to jwarrenw13)
Post #: 28
RE: How's this game? - 6/25/2020 3:31:05 AM   
diamondspider

quote:

And I admit, it's simply not gonna be fun.

For you. These kind of games are very dependent on taste... most kinds of games are dependent on taste, but these kind of high complexity games much more so. A game like this cannot be scored on a scale that generally applies... at least I think so.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 29
RE: How's this game? - 6/25/2020 6:31:48 AM   
Fleshbits

I dunno guys. I keep hearing about complexity, but I am not finding myself making many decisions.

Need this resource->Build it/Find it
Decision makes guy happy->Do it
Faction too big to conquer->Make friends
Fighting enemy->Move troops to front line.
Enemy going around line->Move line

is about all I have to think about. Not trying to bash the game, I see potential, but I am curious what kinds of decisions you find yourselves making?

< Message edited by Fleshbits -- 6/25/2020 6:32:27 AM >

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> How's this game? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI