Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

This game is begging for a good Warhammer mod.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> This game is begging for a good Warhammer mod. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
This game is begging for a good Warhammer mod. - 6/27/2020 12:16:37 PM   
timariot

With any sci-fi strategy game and any mods developed for it, its almost obligatory for a Warhammer 40K, Star Trek and sometimes Aplha Centuri and Halo mod to be made for it. Imagine how amazing it would be with a Warhammer mod that changes the graphics and mechanics to such a cool setting.

Dev, if you're reading this, please make modding accessible in the near future or at least part of the roadmap. Countless classic strategy and other genre games are kept alive and kicking sometimes decades after release due to mods. Civilization 3 and 4; Medieval 2 total war, Mount and Blade Warband; Myth series; and many many more who still have life due to the dedicated efforts of modders, who require no financial support or compensation whatsoever beyond the devs making the game more accessible to modders. the recently remastered Command and Conquer and their decision to release their source code has already paid dividends, as many interesting mods are being developed.
Post #: 1
RE: This game is begging for a good Warhammer mod. - 6/27/2020 1:39:19 PM   
zgrssd

Modding support is planned down the road, once the base game mechanics have a bit solidified.

And yes, this game would be well fitting for Warhammer 40k. The Units remind me a lot of the Imperial Guard. And Battledress basically is Astartes class Power Armor.

(in reply to timariot)
Post #: 2
RE: This game is begging for a good Warhammer mod. - 6/27/2020 8:48:54 PM   
Elver

At the risk of stating the obvious, more than anything it begs for a Fading Suns mod...

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 3
RE: This game is begging for a good Warhammer mod. - 6/27/2020 9:54:25 PM   
JamesHunt

A Fading Suns mod would be certainly an exciting thing.

(in reply to Elver)
Post #: 4
RE: This game is begging for a good Warhammer mod. - 6/27/2020 10:27:02 PM   
Journier

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elver

At the risk of stating the obvious, more than anything it begs for a Fading Suns mod...

with space exploration expansion, allowing you to start going world to world rebuilding your galactic empire.

This game screams the need for this. EOTFS is the epitomy of gaming

(in reply to Elver)
Post #: 5
RE: This game is begging for a good Warhammer mod. - 6/28/2020 12:02:52 AM   
hagamablabla_slith

I'd love to see a mod for it. This game's features are so expansive that they could make a great game for almost any setting.

(in reply to Journier)
Post #: 6
RE: This game is begging for a good Warhammer mod. - 6/28/2020 2:44:23 AM   
MC456

Unless things changed I don't think Vic has plans of creating an in-depth editor like the one for Advanced Tactics Gold. I think he said somewhere that it would likely be a simple editor if anything. But then again, things can change.

Huge Warhammer fan btw. Was hoping someone would make a 40k mod for ATG.

(in reply to hagamablabla_slith)
Post #: 7
RE: This game is begging for a good Warhammer mod. - 6/28/2020 2:54:30 AM   
timariot

I hope he does change his mind. As other members have pointed out he does plan on introducing modding later down the track, though how extensive it will be, remains to be seen. I think the success of the game will determine how far he is willing to go to support it. Its already become a instant classic and i think its surprised everyone from the devs to the players what a truly unsuspecting gem this has turned out to be. If the momentum continues then i think he'll receive more support to polish this game.

(in reply to MC456)
Post #: 8
RE: This game is begging for a good Warhammer mod. - 6/28/2020 7:15:25 AM   
JamesHunt

More in-depth modding options would amplify Shadow Empire´s popularity.

I believe that this is the reason that Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa somewhat got forgotten - despite being one of the best and most revolutional counter based wargames - was its complete lack of meaningful modding and customization. Yes there was the community project but lets face it, it never offered modders and scenario makers to employ the unique features like the event or relationship system, tying modder hands to only generate rather dull and generic scenarios.

I can imagine there might be this fear that mods might take away ideas from a dev or the novelity of new ideas when a mod already featured this but let´s stay real this is almost never the case but more the opposite. Also by taking a look at the market, it is evident that projects with in-depth modding options are more likely enjoying popularity and longetivity while those that oppose it are dead rather fast when the first excitement wave weared off. There are entire game series that became succesful and popular just because modding.

< Message edited by JamesHunt -- 6/28/2020 7:36:40 AM >

(in reply to timariot)
Post #: 9
RE: This game is begging for a good Warhammer mod. - 6/28/2020 7:58:54 AM   
Tchey

WH40K is over-done whenever modding is possible. Even worst would be Star Wars.
And it’s too often badly done, just "look at my new texture". Gameplay change ? Hm...

Fading Suns would be nice. I played and mastered a few games from PnP.

Any other creative mods, not linked to a license, would be great anyway.

Actually, having a fresh new universe is part of what i like in Shadow Empire.
No ork, no jedi, no napoleon, no greec, no britany... Yes !

(in reply to JamesHunt)
Post #: 10
RE: This game is begging for a good Warhammer mod. - 6/28/2020 8:10:02 AM   
basilstaghare

I wouldn't hold my breath on any total conversion mods...Vic has said in podcasts and on steam that basically the game is hardcoded and many aspects are not modable:

Vic on Steam:
"Except for the graphics and sounds this is basically a non-moddable game.

Complexity, partial hard-coding of the game is a big reason, but also the fact I am still expecting to add a lot of content to the game in the years after release and I don't want to invalidate any community efforts (which would had to be done again after each patch). Third but not least is I cannot turn all my games in little wargame design studios :)

On the positive side in time I am open to start gradually opening up some parts to editors. But I would like to do that in such way that these editors will be safe to use and any community work would be re-usable after official patches."

(in reply to Tchey)
Post #: 11
RE: This game is begging for a good Warhammer mod. - 6/30/2020 4:17:00 PM   
JamesHunt

Sounds to me like a political correct version of: "I don´t want to allow modding for my game"

That mods need to stay up with patches is nothing new and far from "invalidating" effort, alot of other game communities are facing the same and see no problems with that. To say this limitation is because of "care for modders" might sound very charming but lets stay real we know that this has absolutely nothing to do with the real reasons.

I understand that some might have this fear that modders would take away ideas that devs might want to monetize but most devs that didn´t lockdown modding only profited from it. Some of the most successful games - also when it comes to profit - only became that way because of modding. Not happy to see this and I believe this will only limit the game´s potential and be a loss/loss situation for the complete SE community. Anyways devs of course are free to decide over their project as they see fit.

< Message edited by JamesHunt -- 6/30/2020 4:23:41 PM >

(in reply to basilstaghare)
Post #: 12
RE: This game is begging for a good Warhammer mod. - 6/30/2020 4:38:15 PM   
GodwinW

quote:

ORIGINAL: Journier

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elver

with space exploration expansion, allowing you to start going world to world rebuilding your galactic empire.

This game screams the need for this. EOTFS is the epitomy of gaming

I have been dreaming of this too :P

(in reply to Journier)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> This game is begging for a good Warhammer mod. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI