Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What's the State of John Tiller's Squad Battles Series?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> What's the State of John Tiller's Squad Battles Series? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What's the State of John Tiller's Squad Battles Series? - 6/28/2020 2:22:05 PM   
Freigeist83

How do you see the current state of John Tiller's Squad Battles Series?

Are you actively playing it or plan to purchase more titles?

Or have you moved on to other games?
Post #: 1
RE: What's the State of John Tiller's Squad Battles Ser... - 6/28/2020 6:17:27 PM   
Blond_Knight

About six months ago I bought Eagles Strike and Red Victory. A couple months before that they released the map editor for all the SB games, updated the artwork, and made a few rules changes.
I modded both games so that the weapons dont lose their effectiveness, since most games are shorter than a supply shortage would normally become apparent.

BTW all non-new releases are going on sale on the JTS site starting 7/1.

(in reply to Freigeist83)
Post #: 2
RE: What's the State of John Tiller's Squad Battles Ser... - 6/28/2020 7:04:09 PM   
Simulacra53

Squad Battles is not getting the same level of JTS / WDS attention as the other series.
I believe the main / only development is community driven by a single guy and he’s really doing his best to keep the series alive.

JTS / WDS should actually give SB the same gold level and beyond treatment as the series is more accessible than the operational games and could introduce new players to the JTS brand.

But that’s just MY opinion - you know what they say about those - and not meant as criticism.

(in reply to Freigeist83)
Post #: 3
RE: What's the State of John Tiller's Squad Battles Ser... - 6/28/2020 7:10:43 PM   
RangerJoe

I disagree. It is criticism but constructive criticism and not destructive criticism.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Simulacra53)
Post #: 4
RE: What's the State of John Tiller's Squad Battles Ser... - 6/28/2020 7:11:44 PM   
Simulacra53

...again, I have to emphasize the amount of development that went into to other series during the last few years, which JTS offered for free to everyone with a valid serial. Not a few companies would try to sell such upgrades as DLC or v2.0 and v3.0 games. Some like Modern Campaigns Gold update were a complete surprise.

The latest updates introduced with Waterloo and Scheldt 44 will also be applied to other Campaign games.

Post #: 5
RE: What's the State of John Tiller's Squad Battles Ser... - 6/28/2020 7:16:49 PM   
Simulacra53

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

I disagree. It is criticism but constructive criticism and not destructive criticism.

You are right.
Normally I don’t care if I break some eggs, but l just have a weak spot for JTS and WDS.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 6
RE: What's the State of John Tiller's Squad Battles Ser... - 6/29/2020 11:34:10 PM   
gamer78

I like both designs and scenario notes of Ed 'Volcano man' in France'14 and Squad Battles - First World War. Scenario notes were quite informative.

Post #: 7
RE: What's the State of John Tiller's Squad Battles Ser... - 11/19/2020 10:08:40 PM   
Warhorse

I'm hoping to get the SB-WW2 Mod out the end of this month, November. It is based on Advance of the Reich and covers early war up to and including the Blitzkrieg as far as release scenario's! Desert War is next, an add-on to this mod.

The team and I have been working very hard to get this to the point it is now, there are over 700 vehicles, and 28 country's represented in this version, with 37 scenario's with this version. Several of these are original ones touched up and updated to reflect changes in equipment not existing before, so stand by! There are several in this that are great team games, so hopefully we can get some more people to play this series?! Here is a list of the country's in the game, those in red are not in yet, but will be shortly with the Desert add-on after this release.

Germany
Italy
Rumania
Hungary
Finland
Russia
Poland
Norway
Britain
France
Netherlands
Belgium
FrenchVichy
Greece
Yugoslavia
US
ItalyAllied (New Zealand)
RumaniaAllied
FrenchFree

GermanySS
RussianGuards
USAB
BritainAB
Canada
USMarine
NVA(Axis Russian Guards)
VC (Axis Russia)
ARVN(Ethiopia)
Australia
SouthKorea (Allied Slovakia)
GermanAB
Japanese
NorthKorea (Axis Slovakia)
Chinese
VietMinh (Axis Chinese)
Mujahideen(Allied Bulgaria)
Nationalist (Blue Division)
Republican
Argentinean (Axis Bulgarian)
South African

Attachment (1)

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to gamer78)
Post #: 8
RE: What's the State of John Tiller's Squad Battles Ser... - 11/20/2020 1:41:27 PM   
Para87

That's incredible work Warhorse. Certainly going to check it out.

(in reply to Warhorse)
Post #: 9
RE: What's the State of John Tiller's Squad Battles Ser... - 11/20/2020 7:47:40 PM   
Warhorse

Awesome, we are stoked about it!

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Para87)
Post #: 10
RE: What's the State of John Tiller's Squad Battles Ser... - 11/20/2020 8:06:17 PM   
wodin

PBEM with t he lads over at Blitz is superb. The game is a feature or two away from being the best top down turn based tac game ever.

(in reply to Warhorse)
Post #: 11
RE: What's the State of John Tiller's Squad Battles Ser... - 11/20/2020 8:30:56 PM   
Warhorse

I agree, just wait till this mod is out, even better! Where else can you pitch Ethiopians against Italians in 1935? Two scenario's involving them, and 6 more to come after release and I have some time, right now too busy testing!

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 12
RE: What's the State of John Tiller's Squad Battles Ser... - 11/20/2020 11:02:55 PM   
Rosseau

I own almost all of the SB titles. And for me, and I am probably not completely alone, the Database Editor, which is not available in any other JTS game, is huge fun to play with.

However, I do agree with Wodin (above) that a few tweaks will help the game immensely.

I understand that WDS needs to get permission from John Tiller to make any changes, but I get the feeling that JT is not open to significant changes to the engine (beyond just graphics) that I'm sure WDS could do?

(in reply to Warhorse)
Post #: 13
RE: What's the State of John Tiller's Squad Battles Ser... - 11/21/2020 12:15:06 AM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rosseau

I own almost all of the SB titles. And for me, and I am probably not completely alone, the Database Editor, which is not available in any other JTS game, is huge fun to play with.

However, I do agree with Wodin (above) that a few tweaks will help the game immensely.

I understand that WDS needs to get permission from John Tiller to make any changes, but I get the feeling that JT is not open to significant changes to the engine (beyond just graphics) that I'm sure WDS could do?

I'd like to see multi level buildings and a new way to count ammo as the current method I feel lets the game down badly, doesn't tale lo9ng for an MG42 to be like a pea shooter. Do something with those and I can't see how it can be beaten. OLast I'd maybe increase details regarding armour and vehicle damage, though I'm happy with how it is, it's just the ammo thing and multi level buildings

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 14
RE: What's the State of John Tiller's Squad Battles Ser... - 11/21/2020 11:29:18 AM   
Warhorse

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rosseau

I'd like to see multi level buildings and a new way to count ammo as the current method I feel lets the game down badly, doesn't tale lo9ng for an MG42 to be like a pea shooter. Do something with those and I can't see how it can be beaten. OLast I'd maybe increase details regarding armour and vehicle damage, though I'm happy with how it is, it's just the ammo thing and multi level buildings

My mod addresses the stupid ammo count thing, and also the combat effectiveness of armor and weapons penetration values. They have all been redone. Based the armor on effective armor and adjusted for how the game handles it. Many new ammo loads as well. Would like to see a way to limit special loads as well, but alas, without an active programmer, none of the programming changes will be implemented. This mod is my last attempt to revitalize the SB series, if I get the same response I have received so far with posts at the Blitz and elsewhere, just not worth my time to advance it anymore. I love the series, but I get no help from anyone, except a few volunteers. Rich Hamilton had wanted me to work at reinstating the side views as a option, after some complaints. I started on it, but it is a huge undertaking with all the additions as of the updates, that due to lack of interest, am not pursuing that at all now, not worth my time. So, hopefully this mega mod will generate some interest, especially from that of John tiller, this series was his baby, if not, I'm done with it, and will just tinker at it for my own means.

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 15
RE: What's the State of John Tiller's Squad Battles Ser... - 11/21/2020 11:34:57 AM   
terminator

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blond_Knight

About six months ago I bought Eagles Strike and Red Victory. A couple months before that they released the map editor for all the SB games, updated the artwork, and made a few rules changes.
I modded both games so that the weapons dont lose their effectiveness, since most games are shorter than a supply shortage would normally become apparent.

BTW all non-new releases are going on sale on the JTS site starting 7/1.

Winter Sales are approaching...

< Message edited by terminator -- 11/21/2020 11:42:41 AM >

(in reply to Blond_Knight)
Post #: 16
RE: What's the State of John Tiller's Squad Battles Ser... - 11/21/2020 1:32:29 PM   
Blond_Knight

quote:

reinstating the side views as a option, after some complaints. I started on it, but it is a huge undertaking

Yeah I noticed when I tried putting the old portrait graphics back in place that I would have to go back and change every unit pic in every OOB file. Too big of PITA.

(in reply to Warhorse)
Post #: 17
RE: What's the State of John Tiller's Squad Battles Ser... - 12/1/2020 9:12:15 PM   
Warhorse

Ok, just uploaded the mod so it is available now. This mod is for the base game Advance of the Reich, so you must own that game to use this mod in it.
To prepare, make a folder called SBWW2, copy your AoTR contents and paste into this new folder.
1)organize the contents of the new folder by extension, remove all map, oob, and scn files, as well as all the folders.
2)Unzip the download into the new folder.
3)find the executable JSGME.exe and activate it, this will bring up dialogs about a mods folder, hit ok and close, this will ensure the mods folder is ready to go, this contains scenario-specific terrain, which will be alerted to your attention in the scenario description, if it uses Winter, Desert, Fall, etc.
4)If a scenario does call for special terrain, activate JSGME pick the terrain from the left pane, hit the right-hand arrow in the center to enable, then close once it is done loading, reverse procedure to uninstall.
5)There are a number of original scenario's in the release that have been modified to use the infantry graphics correctly, ie leaders are single men, squads three.
6)This is, for now only a 2D view mod, due to the extensive additions of equipment, and the disasterous state the 3D are in at the moment, I am not addressing them at this time, so I have ommitted them, as 3d will not show most equipment.
6)This is also top-down based, so no way will the original side views work, and am not going to address that either, way to much work involved.
7)in the notes folder are lists of alternate units for making scenario's, and a few terrain type files, explaining differences from normal terrain, if any
Special thanks to John Pirman and Ashley McLeod for the excellent help in creating scenario's and playtesting, as well as Javi, (Pepe Botijo) for playtesting as well.
Work will now begin on a add-on to this mod called Western Desert, already started on the graphics, so the team will be making scenario's for this next, as soon as I add the few countrys not available yet!
Any questions please feel free to email me, if you would like to help on Western Desert and have time, please don't volunteer then not help, please contact us, we could use some guys making scenario's that have done so before!

I didn't want to post a link to a JT game on Matrix forums, so please go to the Blitz to download!

In the third party mod section of Squad Battles-https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/showthread.php?tid=74114&pid=440819#pid440819

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Blond_Knight)
Post #: 18
RE: What's the State of John Tiller's Squad Battles Ser... - 12/2/2020 7:06:02 AM   
Para87

Christmas has come early. Excellent thanks

(in reply to Warhorse)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> What's the State of John Tiller's Squad Battles Series? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI