Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 6/15/2020 6:40:01 PM   
Castinar

Great to hear!!!!! Really looking forward to this one!!!!! Will immediately go to the top of my must stream list!

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 301
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 6/16/2020 11:38:00 AM   
Bleek

Consider my ticket to the hype train purchased.

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 302
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 6/19/2020 5:16:31 AM   
Latisrof

Wow that is really good news guys.

(in reply to Bleek)
Post #: 303
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 6/21/2020 4:12:34 AM   
Drumline2

Thats fantastic to hear Erik! Im sure you may not be able to answer but ill ask anyway just in case you can :)

1) Are there any tid bits of information akin to the ship customization you might be able to share?

2) Do you guys have any kind of timeline expectation between the alpha to beta phases?

Thank you again for keeping us updated and cant wait to hear more!

(in reply to Latisrof)
Post #: 304
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 6/23/2020 1:49:04 AM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Yes, there will be a game editor as in DW1.

Just a quick note to let you all know that a small initial alpha test has begun, organized from our veteran DW1 tester group. When we're ready for a beta test, that will be posted here and we'll be recruiting publicly.

This is excellent news! Thanks, Erik!

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 305
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 6/23/2020 6:14:02 AM   
swizzlewizzle

4 years of work finally getting to beta.. the team must feel pretty thrilled, I imagine. :)

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 306
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 7/4/2020 8:17:27 AM   
Hattori Hanzo

it seems that i came back on this glorious "Distant Worlds" Matrix forum at the right time
Biblical Galactic times await us..

(in reply to swizzlewizzle)
Post #: 307
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 7/5/2020 9:23:08 PM   
Cubano

I have given up on Stellaris. The AI, mid/end game micro-management and other issues have killed it for me.

Help me Erik Rutins, you're my only hope.

(in reply to Hattori Hanzo)
Post #: 308
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 7/6/2020 2:15:07 AM   
swizzlewizzle

Yes. Stellaris looks good in terms of the graphics and presentation, but the actual game systems and performance issues are horrible.

I think it goes to show just how important good graphics, a "sharp" UI, and strong performance are in the current market...

(in reply to Cubano)
Post #: 309
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 7/6/2020 5:09:31 AM   
Retreat1970

Stellaris is a great game. DWU is a great game. SE4 is a great game etc... They're all good in their own ways. I have played all of these 4x games to death but the only one I can fire up still once in a while is Stellaris. Just my preference and opinion it means nothing. I really hope DW2 delivers.

(in reply to swizzlewizzle)
Post #: 310
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 7/8/2020 5:39:37 PM   
OnePercent

Imo they both have strong points, stellaris is nice and shiny and new and appeals to a more broader audience. I like stellaris purely for its exploration of science-fiction concepts, like ringworlds, dyson spheres, eucemenopolis, orbital habitats. Stellaris also emphasizes is more of a culture/ideology vs itself.
I absolutely despise how shallow the combat system is though, and how basic everything looks. Stellaris has better 'sci-fi' overall.

Distant worlds truly shines here, while its scifi is quite dry like Starwars, it makes up for it by intricately detailing every little bit of logistic in the game, every little demand MUST have a supply and it graphically shows this, waging war in distant worlds is also so much fun, where fleet vs fleet doesn't just mean who has more 'fleet power' but who can put the best ship captains in command of the enemy ships, who can coordinate with strike forces and raiding ships to cripple an enemies military fuel depo's etc. This detail is what makes distant worlds special for me.

Now, if they can integrate good science fiction narative into DW2, it may well possibly be the best 4X ever made in existence (assuming it is what the devs want it to be, DW1 but just 'better')

(in reply to Retreat1970)
Post #: 311
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 7/11/2020 10:54:50 AM   
Jorgen_CAB

In my opinion Stellaris was a nice idea but executed very poorly. The game lacks clear focus and their game mechanics interact with the main game in a very poor way which break the AI and leave mechanics functioning on their own and not as a whole. For me Stellaris is not a good game, more like a failed experiment. I hope Paradox make a new attempt and focus on the Grand Strategy theme and remove all the typical 4x micro management systems leave them where they belong.

I can't play Stellaris past 100 years as it bogs down into micro-management hell. Exploration is fun the first ten to fifteen years into the game and you stop reading the events as they mean nothing and are just a flavour text to loot boxes and have no real impact on the game. I actually find the exploration in DW more entertaining as figuring out how to build up your infrastructure based on it is way more appealing to me, there are no such thing in Stellaris as ANY place can produce pretty much any resource. There are no economy to balance in Stellaris other than producing the right building at the right time and it does not really matter where they are built either.

The combat mechanics are really shallow and they don't have a combat AI worth much either. Sure AI will always be AI and once you know how it works you can use it against itself. But AI in Stellaris are particularly inept to the point of being very boring in combat.

I still play the occasional game of Stellaris in the hope it will be more fun this time and always end up disappointed after 50-100 years into the game. My overal rating of Stellaris as a Sci-fi strategy game is probably around average. There are many games I would rate higher than Stellaris at this time. Distant Worlds are definitely one of the best Sci-Fi grand strategy games out there and I hope that the second instalment don't break that trend. From what we heard so far it does not seem likely to happen though.

< Message edited by Jorgen_CAB -- 7/11/2020 11:23:21 AM >

(in reply to OnePercent)
Post #: 312
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 7/11/2020 5:23:25 PM   
Retreat1970

It's funny how I hated micro management in DWU but enjoy it in Stellaris.

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 313
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 7/12/2020 10:17:44 AM   
Ranbir

Might be the interface issue. I prefer fleets/ships in DWU but organising all of that in a tiny scrolling list was frustrating.

"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz

(in reply to Retreat1970)
Post #: 314
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 7/29/2020 6:11:04 PM   
wetpig

I personally find Stellaris severely lacking in scale, space isn't vast and you end up surrounded by empires withing your first 10-30 years of gameplay! In comparison, in a prewarp start in DW:U you can go 10-50 years (I lower the warp speed to flesh things out) without meeting a single empire, space really does feel vast and lonely like it should in Distant Worlds.

DW:U has far more freedom of action than Stellaris, for example; in Stellaris I cant arrange to build mining bases within another empires borders, in DW:U I can.

Despite DW;U's clunky UI it offers a far more organic version of space that deals with the realities of vast distance more convincingly than Stellaris ever can (no fuel usage for instance) due to the inherent limitations in the clauswitz engine which i think is ill suited to a space game.

In my humble opinion, whilst I must admit Stellaris is infinitely easier to interact with it isn't half the game Distant Worlds is since it simply lacks so much in comparison, private econ for instance etc etc....

in a perfect world i would rip Stellaris's UI and events out and plaster them into DW:U's engine...

< Message edited by wetpig -- 7/31/2020 6:46:26 PM >

(in reply to Ranbir)
Post #: 315
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 7/31/2020 5:11:12 PM   
ElanaAhova_slith

Wow. Wow. Did I mention, wow?

Do as you would be done by.

Post #: 316
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 8/2/2020 7:18:26 PM   
Bleek

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElanaAhova_slith

Wow. Wow. Did I mention, wow?

World of Warcraft?

(in reply to ElanaAhova_slith)
Post #: 317
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 8/4/2020 7:46:31 PM   
rxnnxs

I do not play stellaris but only use the music in DW and Star Ruler 2 because thats where stellaris shines.

While you are waiting for DW2, why dont you look again into star ruler 2? it really makes fun. it has almost everything I would like to see in such a space game.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/282590/screenshots/

< Message edited by rxnnxs -- 8/4/2020 7:47:41 PM >

(in reply to Bleek)
Post #: 318
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 8/5/2020 4:55:50 PM   
Webbco

It's almost been 8 months since the first sneak peek. Any chance of another morsel of info about DW 2?

(in reply to rxnnxs)
Post #: 319
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 8/6/2020 3:48:45 AM   
OnePercent

From the last reply from Eric it seems they are doing a closed Alpha test with the core public testers of DW1, so I assume when that's 'finished' they'll open it out to a public beta and we'll get more info then.

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 320
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 8/7/2020 5:42:29 AM   
Rickardus

quote:

Just a quick note to let you all know that a small initial alpha test has begun, organized from our veteran DW1 tester group. When we're ready for a beta test, that will be posted here and we'll be recruiting publicly.

You guys should definitely pass along a Beta code to Quill18 or other 4X enthusiast youtubers. Would be great to see a playthrough and get some feedback, attention from the crowds that love the genre!

Post #: 321
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 8/14/2020 6:40:03 AM   
SyntaxError501

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rickardus

quote:

You guys should definitely pass along a Beta code to Quill18 or other 4X enthusiast youtubers. Would be great to see a playthrough and get some feedback, attention from the crowds that love the genre!

DasTactic FTW!

He got me into Distant World in the first place. No doubt many others aswell.

(in reply to Rickardus)
Post #: 322
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 8/19/2020 7:24:15 AM   
rollerocker

I second DasTactic.

Also can we get an update on the alpha test progress ? :) Pretty pleasee

(in reply to SyntaxError501)
Post #: 323
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 8/26/2020 9:50:34 PM   
Thorgon

will Distant Worlds 2 be Available on Steam?

(in reply to rollerocker)
Post #: 324
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 8/29/2020 7:57:33 PM   
martok

quote:

ORIGINAL: Thorgon

will Distant Worlds 2 be Available on Steam?

I don't see why it wouldn't be. Matrix/Slitherine has been making most of their titles available on Steam for a while now, including Distant Worlds: Universe.

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

(in reply to Thorgon)
Post #: 325
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 8/30/2020 3:16:20 AM   
Thorgon

In the first post on this thread they confirm DW:2 as a 2020 release but theres no store page for it on steam yet even though shadow empires does have a steam store page

(in reply to martok)
Post #: 326
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 8/30/2020 11:47:40 AM   
OnePercent

I bet they got delayed by corona virus and working from home, it wouldn't surprise me if we don't get a release this year

(in reply to Thorgon)
Post #: 327
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 9/5/2020 11:40:27 PM   
Colwolf77

quote:

ORIGINAL: Thorgon

In the first post on this thread they confirm DW:2 as a 2020 release but theres no store page for it on steam yet even though shadow empires does have a steam store page

We're running out of 2020

(in reply to Thorgon)
Post #: 328
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 9/6/2020 1:49:59 PM   
Ranbir

Well we're due for the the next Christmas sneak peak. Maybe it can be an annual event.

"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz

(in reply to Colwolf77)
Post #: 329
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 9/6/2020 3:03:01 PM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ranbir

Well we're due for the the next Christmas sneak peak. Maybe it can be an annual event.

Over the next 10 years.

(in reply to Ranbir)
Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI