Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Empire of the Sun

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Empire of the Sun Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Empire of the Sun - 7/4/2020 6:06:45 PM   
Alamander

Where are your 12 divisions? You have 12 free divisions to start the game. You left the 38th from Hong Kong in China, which leaves you only 11 free divisions. We know that the Imperial Guards and 21st are at Mersing, and presumably you have another division coming down the road in Malaysia. Be careful that you do not try to bite into too many apples at once.

Even without the units from Alor Stor, your opponent with probably have approximately 500 AV in Singapore, including anti-tank guns, some decent artillery, and the good Aussie units. The river crossing is quite likely to completely trash one of your divisions, somewhere in the neighborhood of 220 squads disrutped, unless you can get lucky and have the armor cross first. Be sure to have base with 20k supply to withdraw the trahed unit, place it with an HQ, and divide it if necessary to speed up the recover of disabled devices. Having bases with 20k supply and HQs is a key to maintaining pace in the early war. You cannot have divisions sitting around for 6 weeks trying to recover their combat effectiveness.

Clark Field and Bataan are tough nuts to crack. Clark is x3 terrain, and you can expect level 3 forts there, which means you are likely to trash at least 1 division trying to break through there. Remember that you must plenty of anti-armor devices there to deal with the 2 U.S. guard Stuart battalions. Bataan can be even trickier. It is only X2 terrain, but the allied coastal artillery is nasty. You cannot linger long at Bataan and must attack quickly or the artillery will ravage you. You can bring every heavy artillery piece from Manchuko and slug it out or try offshore BB bombardments of Bataan. Expect to lose a couple BBs for a few months to damage from mines if you elect to employ them at Bataan. Firing that coastal artillery will eat through the allied supply stockpiles quickly, but not quickly enough unless have all the heavy artillery in your possession there.

Also, remember that range is key to artillery sieges. You want long-range guns when faced with long-range guns. Your 75mm are fine when dealing with Chinese, Indian, or like division, but when tangling with British, U.S., or Aussie divisions and artillery you want to be sure that you have some 10 cm guns or better.

The 11 heavy artillery units in Manchuria can be very helpful at this point in the game for any place that you enounter an allied redoubt that cannot be easily overwhelmed, either at Singapore, on Luzon, or even Java, if the Dutch take to the mountains. Later these can be used defensively on key islands bases or anywhere you create a stronghold in good terrain that is not easily overwhelmed. The 24, 28, and 30cm guns can be very effective against ships if placed anywhere an invasion is expected. Be sure to place a few other units with gun devices in these locations to absorb bombardements and hopefully leave these big guns undisrupted and undisabled.

< Message edited by Alamander -- 7/4/2020 6:23:41 PM >

(in reply to DesertWolf101)
Post #: 121
RE: Empire of the Sun - 7/4/2020 6:22:46 PM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alamander

Where are your 12 divisions? You have 12 free divisions to start the game. You left the 38th from Hong Kong in China, which leaves you only 11 free divisions. We know that the Imperial Guards and 21st are at Mersing, and presumably you have another division coming down the road in Malaysia. Be careful that you do not try to bite into too many apples at once.

Even without the units from Alor Stor, your opponent with probably have approximately 500 AV in Singapore, including anti-tank guns, some decent artillery, and the good Aussie units. The river crossing is quite likely to completely trash one of your divisions, somewhere in the neighborhood of 220 squads disrutped, unless you can get lucky and have the armor cross first. Be sure to have base with 20k supply to withdraw the trahed unit, place it with an HQ, and divide it if necessary to speed up the recover of disabled devices. Having bases with 20k supply and HQs is a key to maintaining pace in the early war. You cannot have divisions sitting around for 6 weeks trying to recover their combat effectiveness.

Clark Field and Bataan are tough nuts to crack. Clark is x3 terrain, and you can expect level 3 forts there, which means you are likely to trash at least 1 division trying to break through there. Remember that you must plenty of anti-armor devices there to deal with the 2 U.S. guard Stuart battalions. Bataan can be even trickier. It is only X2 terrain, but the allied coastal artillery is nasty. You cannot linger long at Bataan and must attack quickly or the artillery will ravage you. You can bring every heavy artillery piece from Manchuko and slug it out or try offshore BB bombardments of Bataan. Expect to lose a couple BBs for a few months to damage from mines if you elect to employ them. Firing that coastal artillery will eat through the allied supply stockpiles quickly, but not quickly enough unless have all the heavy artillery in your possession there.

Also, remember that range is key to artillery sieges. You want long-range guns, especially when faced with long-range guns. You 75mm are fine when dealing with Chinese, Indian, or like division, but when tangling with British, U.S., or Aussie divisions and artillery you wantto be sure that you have some 10 cm guns or better.

Good question. Here is a list of the allocation of the 12 divisions:

China - 1
Philippines - 2
Malaya - 7
New Guinea/So Pac - 1
Burma - 1

I think my opponent has a lot more than 500AV at Singapore, more like 900AV all together. Besides Alor Star and Kota Bharu he withdrew most of his forces into the perimeter.

The Philippines will clearly not fall fast. My plan was to pocket him and wait him out while I dealt with other priorities, but the concern is there at this stage that I may not even be able to take Manila. The artillery advice is solid - I brought some heavy pieces out of China and plan to bring more from the Kwantung Army.

(in reply to Alamander)
Post #: 122
RE: Empire of the Sun - 7/4/2020 6:26:14 PM   
DesertWolf101

Alamander, you mentioned that I should bring anti-tank weapons to deal with the Stuart battalions. I was thinking about that - are the at-gun battalions any good on offense? They don't seem to allow for orders for deliberate or even shock attack. Does their presence in the hex imply their use in the attack even if they are not given such orders?

Post #: 123
RE: Empire of the Sun - 7/4/2020 6:32:47 PM   
Alamander

quote:

ORIGINAL: DesertWolf101

I think my opponent has a lot more than 500AV at Singapore, more like 900AV all together. Besides Alor Star and Kota Bharu he withdrew most of his forces into the perimeter.

The Philippines will clearly not fall fast. My plan was to pocket him and wait him out while I dealt with other priorities, but the concern is there at this stage that I may not even be able to take Manila. The artillery advice is solid - I brought some heavy pieces out of China and plan to bring more from the Kwantung Army.

Unless he reinforced Singapore with the 18th British Division or an Indian division, I doubt that he will have more than 600 AV there. He may have slightly more if he was able to get the nice Sikh regiment from Kuantan withdrawn intact. With 7 divisions in Malaysia, you can only hope that he reinforced Singapore. It will fall quickly. Just make sure that you cross the river in force and in combat mode with an army HQ and a command HQ prepped and in range. HQs make a major difference in unit combat effectiveness and raw AV calculation.

The heavy artillery is nice, but by judicious in fighting long, drawn-out sieges. Since units use supply as a whole, stacking artillery with a division or 2, but only setting the artillery to bombard while leaving the division set to "defend" will ease the supply cost of sieges substantially, since the division does not produce results equivalent to its use of supply in bombard mode.

< Message edited by Alamander -- 7/4/2020 6:34:58 PM >

Post #: 124
RE: Empire of the Sun - 7/4/2020 6:49:58 PM   
Alamander

One more thing about that heavy artillery. You need a level 3 port with naval support (just 20 or so will do) to offload the 28 and 30 cm guns. So, if you bring them to Luzon, you will probably have to offload them at Batangas. There is a bug, I think, in the program, where if you try to offload it in a port that is too small, it will teleport back to whereever it was loaded. I encountered this years ago playing the AI and learning the game. I have not since tried to offload these devices anywhere but a size 3 port with naval support, so I am not sure if that bug has been fixed or not in the newer beta.

< Message edited by Alamander -- 7/4/2020 6:50:24 PM >

(in reply to Alamander)
Post #: 125
RE: Empire of the Sun - 7/4/2020 6:57:29 PM   
Alamander

quote:

Alamander, you mentioned that I should bring anti-tank weapons to deal with the Stuart battalions. I was thinking about that - are the at-gun battalions any good on offense? They don't seem to allow for orders for deliberate or even shock attack. Does their presence in the hex imply their use in the attack even if they are not given such orders?

No. The AT guns won't help much on Bataan. Your best anti-tank weapon at this point are IJA combat engineers. Also, you have several divisions with heavy infantry squads. Japanese heavy infantry has enough anti-armor to disable Stuarts. If you are playing stock, check the 5th division. It is a monster: heavy infantry, 90 exp., with good artillery support. Very good division to switch over after Singapore to Luzon (and then to Burma).

Bring some armored regiments, and you will probably also want to upgrade the type 89A tanks on Luzon to type 97 tanks. Then send these upgraded regiments to Burma. Once you begin encountering Valentin and Shermans, you will want Type 1 tanks, which requires another upgrade from the type 97.

To keep vehicle point use down, do not upgrade all your armor devices, leave some, especially in China, on the type 89, a few on type 97, and the most important and most likely to encounter Shermans and Valentins, upgrade to the type 1 in June or July.

< Message edited by Alamander -- 7/4/2020 7:00:54 PM >

Post #: 126
RE: Empire of the Sun - 7/4/2020 7:05:01 PM   
DesertWolf101

And in terms of being able to upgrade my units I need them to be in base with good supply and in range of a command HQ - is that right?

(in reply to Alamander)
Post #: 127
RE: Empire of the Sun - 7/4/2020 7:10:53 PM   
Alamander

quote:

And in terms of being able to upgrade my units I need them to be in base with good supply and in range of a command HQ - is that right?

I don't think you need an HQ present. As long as you are in a base with 10K+ supply you should be able to upgrade.

The same rule applies to the anti-tank guns. Eventually, you do want to upgrade them all to 47mm, but I tend to do it gradually, leaving some on the slow-fire 37mm you get to start the war, some upgraded to the rapid-fire 37mm, and the ones in Burms in 42 upgraded to 47mm. Armament points are generally not as precious as vehicle points so you can be a little more liberal in your upgrades of non-vehicle devices. As with all things Japan though, in moderation.

Post #: 128
RE: Empire of the Sun - 7/4/2020 7:15:33 PM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

quote:

I don't think you need an HQ present. As long as you are in a base with 10K+ supply you should be able to upgrade.

The same rule applies to the anti-tank guns. Eventually, you do want to upgrade them all to 47mm, but I tend to do it gradually, leaving some on the slow-fire 37mm you get to start the war, some upgraded to the rapid-fire 37mm, and the ones in Burms in 42 upgraded to 47mm. Armament points are generally not as precious as vehicle points so you can be a little more liberal in your upgrades of non-vehicle devices. As with all things Japan though, in moderation.

Thanks

(in reply to Alamander)
Post #: 129
RE: Empire of the Sun - 7/5/2020 2:36:05 AM   
DesertWolf101

January 1, 1942

Submarines

During the night, SS KXI kicks off the New Year with a torpedo into the side of APD Tade near Sidate. Tade did not last long before she toppled over and sank.

North Pacific

The Americans continue the pounding of Adak, this time bringing in the big guns. Battleships Tennessee, California, West Virginia, and Maryland, the heavy cruisers San Francisco and Minneapolis, and the light cruisers Concord, Detroit, and Raleigh light up the island. Almost made me wish I had gone with the Pearl Harbor strike!

Sumatra

Japanese reinforcements, consisting of an SNLF unit, lands at Palembang. 21 139WH-3 bombers attempt to interfere with the landing, mortally damaging an AK but losing half a dozen to patrolling Zeros.

Burma

Oscars and Nates sweep over Toungoo encountering the first AVG squadron. The Flying Tiger numbers are reduced with about 9 shot down allowing the following G3M strike in support of the trapped paratroopers there to proceed with few losses.

China

Zeros on CAP intercept 6 Chinese DB-3M bombers near Nanyang, shooting down 5 of them.

Post #: 130
RE: Empire of the Sun - 7/5/2020 2:40:35 AM   
RangerJoe

But if you hit them hard at sea, you can sink them permanently. Are those ships hitting the mines that you placed there? Dodging the torpedoes from your subs as well?

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Post #: 131
RE: Empire of the Sun - 7/5/2020 2:48:15 AM   
DesertWolf101

January 2, 1942

Submarines

Near the US, I-20 attempts to torpedo AK Mana but misses.

Near Palembang, O19 launches four torpedoes at heavy cruiser Mogami but fails to hit.

S/SW Pacific

Japanese troops land at Luganville.

Sumatra

Reinforced and with the Dutch garrison reeling from daily bomber strikes, the Japanese attack and take Palembang. The oil and refinery infrastructure is almost entirely intact!

Philippines

Japanese troops take Butuan, pushing the allied forces on Mindanao back to their last remaining base on the island.

Burma

Another Oscar sweep goes over Toungoo, knocking out the now significantly fewer H81-A3 fighters and tangling with a Buffalo squadron.

Post #: 132
RE: Empire of the Sun - 7/5/2020 2:51:39 AM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

But if you hit them hard at sea, you can sink them permanently. Are those ships hitting the mines that you placed there? Dodging the torpedoes from your subs as well?

Subs are on their way to attempt to intercept, I had only captured the island about a week ago and I did not anticipate that my opponent would react so quickly and forcefully here.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 133
RE: Empire of the Sun - 7/5/2020 2:17:32 PM   
Alamander

quote:

Sumatra

Reinforced and with the Dutch garrison reeling from daily bomber strikes, the Japanese attack and take Palembang. The oil and refinery infrastructure is almost entirely intact!

This is the biggest thing in the beginning of the war for Japan that all Japanese players should always remember. Whatever happens on Luzon, Malaysia, Java, at Pearl, or SoPAc, or whatever secondary advance Japan makes, nothing is as important as the oil. So long as you take the oil mostly intact, you can consider the beginning of the game a success, regardless of how many allied casualties you inflict or whether or not you trashed a couple divisions in Malaysia or Luzon.

< Message edited by Alamander -- 7/5/2020 2:18:15 PM >

Post #: 134
RE: Empire of the Sun - 7/5/2020 7:07:25 PM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

quote:

Sumatra

This is the biggest thing in the beginning of the war for Japan that all Japanese players should always remember. Whatever happens on Luzon, Malaysia, Java, at Pearl, or SoPAc, or whatever secondary advance Japan makes, nothing is as important as the oil. So long as you take the oil mostly intact, you can consider the beginning of the game a success, regardless of how many allied casualties you inflict or whether or not you trashed a couple divisions in Malaysia or Luzon.

Quite right, I breathed a huge sigh of relief once Palembang was taken.

(in reply to Alamander)
Post #: 135
RE: Empire of the Sun - 7/5/2020 7:27:37 PM   
DesertWolf101

January 3, 1942

Submarines

I-20 sights and engages AKV Hammondsport south of San Diego with two torpedoes but misses. I wish the submarine captain had fired a bigger spread!

Singapore

With one division left clearing up the rear, 6 divisions (2,520 unadjusted AV) worth of Japanese troops cross into Singapore against the 876 Allied AV that managed to make it to the city. The result was not too bad, achieving a 1 to 1 ratio and reducing fortifications to 2. Casualties were about even at around 5,000 each, with 11 Japanese combat squads destroyed and 340 disabled for 84 Allied combat squads destroyed and 164 disabled. The disruption rates across my force however were shockingly high – forcing me to rest the Japanese army before I could even contemplate more attacks.

Philippines

The Allied presence on Luzon is down to Bataan, Clark, and Manila. Manila was my priority as it produced supply and involved less daunting terrain. While a Japanese force kept the pressure on Clark with bombardments, another Japanese force of 940 AV attacked the 10 Allied units at Manila, including 5 PA divisions. The first Japanese deliberate attack was less than optimal however, netting less than 1 to 2 odds and failing to reduce the fortifications. Fortunately, casualties were fairly light.

Borneo

A Japanese fast transport force lands troops at Balikpapan. I was very fortunate to not hit the mines that were laid here by my opponent.

Celebes

Japanese troops land at Kendari.

Burma

The trapped Japanese paratrooper unit attempts to breakout at Toungoo but its effort is blunted by the timely arrival of the 10th Burmese Rifle Battalion.

China

After sweeps go in and meet no opposition, Sally bombers hit Sian airfield, destroying a few H81-A3 fighters on the ground.

Post #: 136
RE: Empire of the Sun - 7/5/2020 7:38:23 PM   
DesertWolf101

January 4, 1942

Submarines

In the Java Sea, RO-33 launches four torpedoes at CL Tromp but misses.

North Pacific

At Shikuka, my minesweepers discover an enemy minefield and begin sweeping it. Undoubtedly my opponent’s subs in action.

S/SW Pacific

Japanese troops land at Milne Bay.

Borneo

Balikpapan is seized. Unfortunately, 60 out of the 240 oil wells are damaged.

The SNLF units finally cross the river into Tarakan, but the defense holds for now.

Burma

19 B-17Ds bomb the trapped paras at Toungoo,

China

A Tojo sweep catches two AVG fighters over Changteh and knocks them out.

Pingsiang is taken by the Empire.

Post #: 137
RE: Empire of the Sun - 7/5/2020 7:52:55 PM   
DesertWolf101

January 5, 1942

Submarines

AK Maliko is hit with a torp and sinks like a rock near San Diego. Nearby, I-22 attempts to strike AK Makua with two fish but misses.

North Pacific

Adak Island receives more visiting shells from Allied cruisers.

S/SW Pacific

Japanese forces land at Horn Island and seize it.

Philippines

With the fall of Surigao, the last Allied base on Mindanao is taken.

Borneo

Japanese troops take Kuching.

Sumatra

Pushing out from Palembang, Japanese troops take Praboemoelih.

Burma

An Oscar sweep cleans out the Allied CAP over Toungoo. B-17Ds once again pound the trapped paratroopers there, but the following Allied attack on the ground fails to eliminate them.

China

The 4th Independent Mixed Regiment crossed over from Vietnam and made its way to Nanning over the past week. An assault by the regiment successfully takes the town as the Chinese scramble to assemble enough forces in the area to stop the larger Japanese army marching in from Wuchow.

Post #: 138
RE: Empire of the Sun - 7/5/2020 8:04:10 PM   
DesertWolf101

January 6, 1942

Aside from the usual bombing raids in China, Singapore, and the Philippines, nothing much happened this turn.

Submarines

Having escaped the Japanese torpedoes the last turn, AK Makua now sinks after being hit by two from I-21.

China

Kanhsien is taken by a Japanese armored car company.

Post #: 139
RE: Empire of the Sun - 7/5/2020 8:20:27 PM   
DesertWolf101

January 7, 1942

Submarines

DMS W-13, previously damaged from a collision during the engagement with the Dutch PT-boats at Samarinda, is sunk in the Makassar Strait after being hit by two torpedoes from SS KXV.

I-15 turns the small craft YP-98 into matchsticks near Victoria.

North Pacific

Yet another cruiser bombardment disrupts my base force and prevents it from building forts and airfields at Adak. What more, an Allied amphibious landing arrives and disembarks troops from the 161st Infantry Regiment on the island! Fortunately, the Allied troops suffer considerable disruption and disablements in the freezing north.

Burma

More dogfights over Burma as Japanese forces seek to cross the river into the hex north of Pegu.

Post #: 140
RE: Empire of the Sun - 7/6/2020 11:22:27 AM   
DesertWolf101

January 8, 1942

Submarines

Near Formosa, the Permit hits TK Eiyo Maru with a torpedo but the Mk14 thankfully duds.

I-21 sinks AK San Anselmo off the Californian coast. Nearby, I-20 sinks AKL White Wing.

North Pacific

As US troops continue to land at Adak, four battleships pound the resident Japanese base force. SBD and TBD bombers join in on the fun from the American carriers.

Malaya

Japanese tank regiments capture Kuantan, the last Allied base in Malaya besides Singapore.

Borneo

Once again my opponent snuck in Swordfish aircraft into Bandjermasin from where they hit one of my AKs with two 500lb bombs, damaging her so heavily I was forced to scuttle her.

China

Japanese troops take over Kukong.

-----

I'm not thrilled by the Allied push in the North Pacific but I trust the weather to slow things down while I try to gather up some reinforcements.

Post #: 141
RE: Empire of the Sun - 7/6/2020 11:40:42 AM   
DesertWolf101

January 9, 1942

Submarines

I-7 sinks AK Clevedon near Canadian waters.

Near Tokyo, Trout suffers a torpedo malfunction against AK Kamikaze Maru.

Singapore

The Japanese forces at Singapore, having recovered enough from the high disruption suffered during the crossing, attempt a deliberate attack. Despite 2 to 1 odds in my favor, Japanese casualties were relatively high with 115 combat squads destroyed and 207 disabled. The Singapore garrison lost 117 with 85 disabled.

Philippines

I try another attack at Manila with slightly better results of 1 to 1 odds. Additional Japanese reinforcements are coming in to hopefully finally take the city.

New Guinea

Japanese troops land at Lae.

Meanwhile, a Japanese parachute operation attempts to take Merauke but is surprised to find a Dutch aviation unit there.

Sumatra

Japanese troops take Lahat.

Philippine Sea

Japanese destroyers Uzuki and Yuzuki find and sink the 6 surviving British MTBs from Hong Kong that were out of fuel and slowly attempting to make it to allied lines.

Burma

Japanese naval bombers vaporize a Burmese rifle battalion that was attempting to block the Japanese river crossing north of Pegu, paving the way for an unopposed move into the hex next turn.

China

Japanese paratroopers land at an ungarrisoned Ankang and seize it.

Post #: 142
RE: Empire of the Sun - 7/6/2020 12:29:35 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

I'm not thrilled by the Allied push in the North Pacific but I trust the weather to slow things down while I try to gather up some reinforcements.

You should be thrilled. Those slow BB have like 35 night experience, and are very vulnerable to small destroyer squadrons. The bad weather makes them especially vulnerable. The fleet carriers aren't much better.

Allies got to play with their toys before they are ready.

I have sunk so many ships in the North Pacific because AFB's don't think and instead feel they have to hit hard with everything they have somewhere. No better place for Japan to fight in early 1942 the USN.

Post #: 143
RE: Empire of the Sun - 7/6/2020 12:36:22 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

quote:

You should be thrilled. Those slow BB have like 35 night experience, and are very vulnerable to small destroyer squadrons. The bad weather makes them especially vulnerable. The fleet carriers aren't much better.

I have sunk so many ships in the North Pacific because AFB's don't think and instead feel they have to hit hard with everything they have somewhere. No better place for Japan to fight in early 1942 the USN.

Yes, feed the King and Snow crabs.

If you put DDs on low aggression, they should go in and launch torpedoes then withdraw if faced with combat vessels. Make sure that you have an AD available for reloads if the ports are not large enough to handle torpedo reloads. Two or Three DDs in a task force would be optimal for such raids.

Don't forget MTBs and minisubs either.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 144
RE: Empire of the Sun - 7/6/2020 12:40:30 PM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

quote:

Yes, feed the King and Snow crabs.

If you put DDs on low aggression, they should go in and launch torpedoes then withdraw if faced with combat vessels. Make sure that you have an AD available for reloads if the ports are not large enough to handle torpedo reloads. Two or Three DDs in a task force would be optimal for such raids.

Don't forget MTBs and minisubs either.

Hmmm interesting. Might try to be more active in this area in the future. My opponent is covering his back though, extensive night and day search in the area from what I can tell.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 145
RE: Empire of the Sun - 7/6/2020 1:01:29 PM   
DesertWolf101

January 10, 1942

Submarines

AK Arizonian goes down to I-26 east of Hawaii.

S/SW Pacific

5 Allied destroyers shell the Japanese Raiding Regiment at Marauke. At the same time, my opponent flew in elements of the 53rd Australian and the Sparrow Battalions (likely by PBY). The resulting Japanese shock attack by the Raiding Regiment therefore fails.

Kavieng finally falls with the arrival of an SNLF unit.

Philippines

Another Japanese deliberate attack at Manila with the arrival of reinforcements takes down the fortifications to 0. I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel here, but really can’t see a way to tackle Clark anytime soon.

Java

The first sweep over Java goes in from Palembang. Zero fighters dominate, shooting down the few Buffalos on CAP. Betty bombers follow the sweep and destroy a couple of Vildebeests on the ground.

Burma

20 Oscars intercept a dozen B-17Ds over Burma, hitting them numerous times which if the intel report is to be believed led to the loss of 5 of the bombers.

Japanese and Thai troops finally make it into the hex north of Pegu, arriving just before the 1st Burma Division.

Post #: 146
RE: Empire of the Sun - 7/6/2020 1:13:18 PM   
DesertWolf101

January 11, 1942

Submarines

Despite the malfunctioning of a torpedo, I-21 takes down AK Harpoon off the coast of California.

North Pacific

I rush reinforcements to Attu and Amchitka islands with fast transports, set up a float transport plane operation to supply the 7th base Force at Adak (now entirely deprived of supply), and dispatch submarines to the area, which finally begin to arrive.

Philippines

Despite being hit by more than 100 Japanese bombers, the garrison at Manila survives yet another Japanese attack. Hopefully the next one gets through.

Borneo

Tarakan finally falls to the Japanese. Thankfully despite the numerous attacks the oil is completely intact.

Post #: 147
RE: Empire of the Sun - 7/6/2020 1:22:43 PM   
DesertWolf101

January 12, 1942

Submarines

I-1 attempts to interfere with the Allied operations around Adak but is sighted and damaged by escorting destroyers.

Philippines

Finally, Manila falls to the Empire! The defending garrison, principally composed of five Filipino infantry divisions and associated HQ and base force units, is wiped out.

China

The 38th division finally arrives at Liuchow and attacks but does not succeed against the strengthened Chinese garrison. The division settles in and awaits reinforcements.

Post #: 148
RE: Empire of the Sun - 7/6/2020 1:34:17 PM   
DesertWolf101

January 13, 1942

Submarines

Near Kodiak, I-5 sinks AKL Mapele with its deck gun.

Despite the damage sustained in the previous turn, I decide to keep I-1 around Adak in the hopes of getting in a successful strike. This turned out to be a bad decision as the submarine is sighted again and suffers even more damage. Time for the sub to head back home.

New Guinea

Amateur hour – I accidentally dump the 144th Regiment in the adjacent hex instead of at Merauke. Mortified by the misclick, I scramble to load up the transports again.

Sumatra

Oosthaven is taken by the 2nd Tank Regiment.

Burma

Aided by airstrikes and fast moving units, I successfully corner the 1st Burma Division as it attempts to withdraw to the north.

Post #: 149
RE: Empire of the Sun - 7/6/2020 1:51:14 PM   
DesertWolf101

January 14, 1942

Submarines

Thanks to I-21, AK Mormacmar becomes a reef near the U.S. West Coast.

North Pacific

The 34th and 161st Infantry Regiments attempt a deliberate attack but the 7th Base Force holds on despite high disruption and low supply.

Singapore

The third attack does the trick; the fortress city falls to the Empire! 33 units along with thousands of squads and devices are eliminated. Unfortunately, all the light and heavy industry, the resources, and the shipyard are entirely wrecked.

Java

Finding no more resistance over Batavia, Zeros sweep over Kalidjati and knock out half a dozen Buffalo fighters.

Burma

Despite several Oscar sweeps going in and cleaning the CAP over the 1st Burma Division in the morning, the afternoon strike by a Nell formation on the divison met more AVG resistance. 8 Nells are lost during the day.

------

With Singapore under Japanese control, I start preparations for the next target: Java.

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Empire of the Sun Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI