Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Convoy raiding

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> Convoy raiding Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Convoy raiding - 7/7/2020 1:42:27 AM   
Badbonez

Hello again - just got the game and so I have a few noob questions that the manual doesn't specify or I cannot locate the answer.

Playing Central Powers, Germany is using unrestricted raiding and I have submarines to the west of England on or adjacent to the red convoy lines. The first time I did this I received a message on the number of MPP the UK lost when I ended my turn. But since then I sometimes receive the message that UK lost morale do to convoy raiding, but other times I don't get any messages.

My subs are in supply and they are in Hunt mode. What am I missing? Should I get a count each turn of the number of lost MPPs or not?

Thank you.
Post #: 1
RE: Convoy raiding - 7/7/2020 11:21:23 AM   
Xsillione

You do raid on convoys (with mpp loss noted in the events) if you are adjacent to a convoy line, that are in play, in raid mode, and no enemy ships next to you.

You do the unrestricted raiding, if you are on any of the marked hex with any naval unit and initially agreed for unrestricted choice for the given area, you just get a compiled note for doing this, no exact effect stated.

And you do the mining/blockading of ports (with none map mines), if you are at the red marked hexes.

(in reply to Badbonez)
Post #: 2
RE: Convoy raiding - 7/7/2020 3:50:16 PM   
Badbonez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xsillione

You do raid on convoys (with mpp loss noted in the events) if you are adjacent to a convoy line, that are in play, in raid mode, and no enemy ships next to you.

My subs are adjacent to a red convoy line, they are in hunt mode (there is no 'raid' mode setting, it's either hunt or silent) and they are not next to enemy units. I do not get the MPP loss of the UK in the popup messages.

As stated, the first time I had subs raiding the convoys I received a message indicating the number of MPPs that the UK lost, but only one time. I believe I should see that message every turn if my subs qualify for raiding, which they do.

(in reply to Xsillione)
Post #: 3
RE: Convoy raiding - 7/7/2020 4:23:13 PM   
Hubert Cater

The AI, much like a human player, can and will turn down the transfer of MPPs if they are being consistently sunk via the convoy routes. Perhaps the AI turned off that one particular MPP transfer via convoy? You could try switching sides to see if the AI indeed did this etc.

Also I believe if your subs have zero supply then they will not raid the convoys which could be another factor.

(in reply to Badbonez)
Post #: 4
RE: Convoy raiding - 7/8/2020 12:07:28 AM   
Badbonez

So here's an image of what I am trying to resolve. The convoy line is red, so it should be in use, my sub is set to hunt and has supply. Shouldn't I be getting an accounting of how many MPPs are being lost due to my raiding?

Naturally after posting that image, on my next turn I got this report:

However, I thought the popup I was looking for happened at the end of my turn. So maybe it's not successful every turn?

< Message edited by Badbonez -- 7/8/2020 12:23:33 AM >

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 5
RE: Convoy raiding - 7/8/2020 8:54:36 AM   
Xsillione

In this case the convoy is red so it can run, but the UK player (AI) will decide how much he wants to send, down to zero. If it does not send anything, you cannot sink it. Try checking the mpp income page and figure out the convoys state (not a clear one, but maybe will show something)

(in reply to Badbonez)
Post #: 6
RE: Convoy raiding - 7/8/2020 1:52:57 PM   
Hubert Cater

Correct, it will still show in red as an active convoy, e.g. possible to run as the ports are of sufficient strength and the ports are also friendly etc., but may still run at 0 MPP if the AI has decided to do so.

Not knowing how much the AI is sending, or a human opponent is sending, is part of the fog of war, but if you are not sinking anything on an active convoy that essentially is your feedback on how much is being transferred.

(in reply to Xsillione)
Post #: 7
RE: Convoy raiding - 7/8/2020 6:42:06 PM   
mdsmall

I have made the point in an earlier thread that the game should make it easier for players to review what they are receiving via convoys. At the moment, you get a quick screen flashing by at the end of your turn listing the amount received per convoy but unless you screen capture it, you can't review it. And seeing how much a convoy is down is the only way to know if your opponent is raiding your convoys. The graphs show total amounts received by convoy but not broken down. This is particularly an issue for the U.K and to a lesser degree Germany, since both powers have multiple convoy routes.

In contrast, it is relatively easy to see what impact your raiding is having on an opponent's convoys. It is broken down by raiding ship, convoy route and MPP amounts in the Military Effects Summary which you can call up at any point during the next turn by pressing a hot-key.

I appreciate the overall principle of fog-of-war but I don't understand why the information about what you receiving via convoys is "foggier" than what you are sinking in enemy convoys. Surely, a power would have more accurate records about the cargo vessels that reached their ports every turn, where they came from versus what was expected, compared to what their navies claim to have sunk against enemy convoys.

Michael

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> Convoy raiding Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI