Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Supply is killing this game for me

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Supply is killing this game for me Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Supply is killing this game for me - 7/9/2020 9:17:49 AM   
Majick

Hi All,

In every game I learn more about the intricacies of the system. However, every game stalls at some point due to mysterious supply issues which I'm struggling to analayse, partly due to inconsistent labels being attached to different items in game. (Truck Points, AP, Logistical Points, LIP etc etc etc)

I'm on my 5th game, and on the verge of abandoning this title because despite reading the manual, watching DasTactics videos and learning in game, every game ends up with the same sort of logistical mess which weakens my forces and leads to a major defeat. Perhaps someone can help with some answers to basic questions...:

1/ When supply and replacements dry up to units which have surplus capacity on road and rail, from SHQs that have manpower, food and fuel, what is it that is lacking?
2/ How can more of this thing be produced?

I've attached what my SHQ supply screen looks like.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Supply is killing this game for me - 7/9/2020 9:22:51 AM   
Vhalor

Have you checked the bottleneck map mode and made sure there's no problems anywhere?

"Pull and obtain wisdom. Push and invite ruin." ― Cult of LIS

(in reply to Majick)
Post #: 2
RE: Supply is killing this game for me - 7/9/2020 10:01:13 AM   
Majick

Hi Vhalor,

Hmmm well yes indeed there is a bottleneck, now you mention it. The route is yellow up to the ralhead, after which it is black. At the railhead I have a Truck Station II and a Supply Base I. Am I rightt hinking it's the truck station that needs to be expanded?

(in reply to Vhalor)
Post #: 3
RE: Supply is killing this game for me - 7/9/2020 10:17:32 AM   
Vhalor

Yes that's the problem then. Any black parts can lead to huge bottlenecks and as such cause massive supply shortages after that point.

To fix that you need to increase the available logistic points at that area. Remember, apart from upgrading old ones, you can also always build more truck stations in the vicinity as well!

"Pull and obtain wisdom. Push and invite ruin." ― Cult of LIS

(in reply to Majick)
Post #: 4
RE: Supply is killing this game for me - 7/9/2020 10:50:20 AM   
Falke

The Bottleneck overview is the most important for spotting logistical issues. Once you start getting blue routes, you have to start planning on how to increase the flow along thoose routes

(in reply to Vhalor)
Post #: 5
RE: Supply is killing this game for me - 7/9/2020 4:32:48 PM   
brdxman

@Falke second this!

(in reply to Falke)
Post #: 6
RE: Supply is killing this game for me - 7/9/2020 5:23:37 PM   
jwarrenw13

Yes, bottleneck overlay is your friend.

(in reply to brdxman)
Post #: 7
RE: Supply is killing this game for me - 7/9/2020 8:19:53 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Majick

Hi All,

In every game I learn more about the intricacies of the system. However, every game stalls at some point due to mysterious supply issues which I'm struggling to analayse, partly due to inconsistent labels being attached to different items in game. (Truck Points, AP, Logistical Points, LIP etc etc etc)

I'm on my 5th game, and on the verge of abandoning this title because despite reading the manual, watching DasTactics videos and learning in game, every game ends up with the same sort of logistical mess which weakens my forces and leads to a major defeat. Perhaps someone can help with some answers to basic questions...:

1/ When supply and replacements dry up to units which have surplus capacity on road and rail, from SHQs that have manpower, food and fuel, what is it that is lacking?
2/ How can more of this thing be produced?

I've attached what my SHQ supply screen looks like.

There is plenty of Logistics at the SHQ. But what about the entire rest of the way?

Particulary when conquering, it is easy to have the trailing end and the part in between develop a Bottleneck. Use the bottleneck display to find out the weakpoints. Go from the SHQ to the units. If you hit any black segments, upgrade the Logistics there. If possible, start on the end that is still in decent supply. Consider also fixing any red areas - chances are that once the downstream problems are fixed, those will become new bottlencks.

If you could give us a image of the bottleneck display and the initial display, this would allow us to give more precise advice.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 7/9/2020 8:20:27 PM >

(in reply to Majick)
Post #: 8
RE: Supply is killing this game for me - 7/11/2020 3:34:31 PM   
Poliorcetes

Welcome to Logistics hell. If you are lucky it will just be a bottleneck issue (which only shows AP point bottlenecking, not actual supply bottlenecking).
If its replacements you need, go to SHQ and manually buy them and then hope they get delivered.

If you have more than once city, you may be screwed. As its totally unclear how intracity supplies are prioritized vs military supplies. Nor is there any easy way to figure out what the problems are (its rarely just 1 problem, often a combination of problems).

I have yet to finish a game after weeks of play on the easiest settings, with 35 years of wargaming experience, because invariably logistics goes to hell and spending hours trying to figure out the issue is not "fun".

Shame because this game has potential.

(in reply to Majick)
Post #: 9
RE: Supply is killing this game for me - 7/11/2020 3:59:28 PM   
Falke

quote:

ORIGINAL: Poliorcetes

I have yet to finish a game after weeks of play on the easiest settings, with 35 years of wargaming experience, because invariably logistics goes to hell and spending hours trying to figure out the issue is not "fun".

Shame because this game has potential.

The Beta versions include various changes that make the analysis of issues easier and quicker.
eg the resource delta tooltip now makes it clear that only the beginning stocks can be sent out. There were some threads where people did not know this which caused them to not realise that their issue was a lack of resource . Vic is reading and responding

(in reply to Poliorcetes)
Post #: 10
RE: Supply is killing this game for me - 7/11/2020 4:07:44 PM   
Jdane

I found it good practice to look into logistics as soon as blue appears on the bottlenecks map filter (I got this tip from somebody here, thanks for it).

Generally it means it is a good idea to up the logistics capacity as soon as possible, whether by sealing the roads, upgrading some truck stations, maybe try a supply base, or if large volumes of Items are moved, go with rail.

Fiddling with the traffic signs can make do in a pinch, but is rarely a long term solution.

I'm even starting to worry when I see yellow.

But the upside is I don't have many logistics issues.

As Falke said, understanding the sequence of events is also crucial.

< Message edited by Jdane -- 7/11/2020 4:08:00 PM >

(in reply to Falke)
Post #: 11
RE: Supply is killing this game for me - 7/11/2020 9:17:46 PM   
Zyphtan

Wherever logistics points meet between to sources the lowest number is what can be put through the line. If it is to far from your SHQ and you have a low lvl say truck stop and only like 400 heads back towards the SHQ and the SHQ's truck station doesnt get there then you will not be getting much supplies.

Workers need food as well this is what really eats up LP besides the Army. Local producers can help but you really need solid lines of transport back to your SHQ. Your SHQ is showing that it has more then enough points and you said something in the bottleneck view was black. This is most likely your problem.

(in reply to Jdane)
Post #: 12
RE: Supply is killing this game for me - 7/12/2020 1:41:02 PM   
tinjaw

Let me please just add one piece of commentary to put things in perspective. I am not commenting on the specific details of handling supply in this particular game, but about the complexity of supply in actual warfare. It is difficult, and cumbersome, and always the limiting factor as to what combat units are capable of doing. Supply is difficult and will always be the limitation imposed on what you can accomplish.

(in reply to Zyphtan)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Supply is killing this game for me Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI