Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Help with island hopping

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Help with island hopping Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Help with island hopping - 7/11/2020 9:29:30 PM   
landorl

I'm on my second game with the allies. The first time I didn't manage my supplies well, and lost China by the end of 1942, and lost Stalingrad, Leningrad and Moscow by early 1943. I lost North Africa, and managed to chew up 15 American units invading Spain. It was a disaster.

Second playthrough. I'm doing better with supplies, and am beginning to break the Germans in Russia, and US and England are doing well in Africa and have taken Sicily. I am having a hard time in the Pacific though. I can't bring enough land forces to break Japanese units there. I have landed on a couple of Islands with Marine units, but I do 1 or two damage per turn, which they then repair.

How can I effectively take islands in the Pacific?
Post #: 1
RE: Help with island hopping - 7/11/2020 9:40:38 PM   
LordOfPants

Bring gun ships to bombard the town/unit and to sit next to the port. If you reduce their supply to 0, they can't repair, and bombarding the town will also reduce entrenchment and readiness. Bring carriers (or nearby land-based air) to take a bigger chunk out of the unit. Don't forget that your transports get a double attack, once on the way in as a ship and once after landing. Also, remember that it's called island hopping - only take the ones you need, you can just bypass a lot of Japanese forces.

(Most of my experience is in WIE, if there's specific stuff for this version I'm sure people will point it out).

(in reply to landorl)
Post #: 2
RE: Help with island hopping - 7/12/2020 12:17:02 AM   
Xsillione

You need to bring enough guns to destroy a unit fast, you can do it with the landing craft (the preinvasion strike is powerful, if you spent enough on amphib tech), than use BBs and other capitals if not in city, and CVs if in a city, also good idea to starve them before landing with smaller ship.

You more or less build a landing train, the most western island is already starved, CVs and BBs clear and you land with little to no opposition, the second one is under starvation with blockaded port and leftover bombings, the east most island is under clearing and securing. Yes, this needs total control of the seas, but you play with the US, so it is a must and you have the mpp for it. Sooner or later you reach Japan, and treat it as big island, same stuff, just with more, and hopefully by that time you won in china and you can use it as airbase and also get help from the Chinese airforce. They also can boost your LV numbers with more troops.

(in reply to LordOfPants)
Post #: 3
RE: Help with island hopping - 7/12/2020 1:58:26 AM   
landorl

Thanks! I never tried to attack with landing craft. I thought they were too vulnerable.

(in reply to Xsillione)
Post #: 4
RE: Help with island hopping - 7/12/2020 6:59:51 PM   
LordOfPants

they're vulnerable to being attacked by ships and air units, but they are rarely and barely hurt by attacking land units.

(in reply to landorl)
Post #: 5
RE: Help with island hopping - 7/14/2020 3:32:11 PM   
amandkm

Oh, and this may seem obvious, but if you are going up against live units (as opposed to seizing vacant real estate), be sure to use special forces.

A corps sent via AV is handy for grabbing empty islands, but it will wither against even a garrison unit, since supply will drop to 0 after the turn it lands.

(in reply to LordOfPants)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Help with island hopping Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI