Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Nukes

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Nukes Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Nukes - 6/19/2020 4:58:22 AM   
Arkangilos

Has anyone used them? Are they worth it? I have a strong enemy and I’m hoping to research them to wipe their capital but don’t know if I should focus on trying to get them or not.
Post #: 1
RE: Nukes - 6/19/2020 6:21:27 AM   
Kamelpov

Well usually my game ended before i get that as i wipe them with armored and motorized artillery and with heavy walker gundam...

(in reply to Arkangilos)
Post #: 2
RE: Nukes - 6/19/2020 6:50:21 AM   
Nemo84

My one full game so far ended long before nukes were developed, but I did find some GR tactical nuke launchers in a test game. They were basically very deadly rocket artillery. One use only, because I didn't have the tech to rearm them.

Used it on a well-defended minor city. Killed about 1000 defenders and made the rest far easier to beat in regular combat.

(in reply to Kamelpov)
Post #: 3
RE: Nukes - 6/19/2020 7:44:02 AM   
IamMax

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arkangilos

Has anyone used them? Are they worth it? I have a strong enemy and I’m hoping to research them to wipe their capital but don’t know if I should focus on trying to get them or not.

The only nukes I've used are those GR 1 megaton "tactical" launchers. But what I have used is conventional missile artillery, and three battalions of heavy missiles firing at a large city, once, did an enormous amount of damage to every structure in the city. So much so that I never again used them to bombard a city I intended to conquer, because after a couple turns of that the entire place would be in ruins.

So I will extremely surprised if a 100 megaton strike does not render a city worthless.

(in reply to Arkangilos)
Post #: 4
RE: Nukes - 6/19/2020 9:46:03 AM   
olin0111

I used it but only the basic 1 megaton tactical launcher and it's not that spectacular to be honest. It has 30000 firepower compared to 12000 that missle launcher has and also leaves some radiation after the attack in the target and adjacent hexes. The nuke launchers use radioactives as ammo so better stock up if you want to use them extensively. I built an independent regiment that had 3 tactical launchers and used it on enemy stack. There were some casualties but most of the units survived with very low morale and readiness. The attack left around 150 RAD in the area. I made just one attack as this was the last turn of my game which was already won, so take it with a grain of salt. But after the attack I was like" "Is that it?". It's definately a powerful weapon but I felt it didn't do anything that 3 missle launchers couldn't do. However 3 nuke launchers are a lot cheaper to produce than 3 missle launchers. OTOH they use a rare ammo that you can't easily manufacture so unless you have plenty of radioactives you won't be spamming nukes.

In other words there are tradeoffs and nukes don't feel like weapons to end all wars, probably for balance reasons. I guess one thing that sets them apart from other weapons is the radioactive fallout that they leave. But at this point in game everybody is running in envirosuits / combat armor anyway so you would have to spam plenty of nukes to make a certain area unihabitable and cause enemy troops to die of radiation. Another thing is that there are no collateral civilian casualties in this game. When you attack a city you only destroy buildings so you cannot (as gruesome as it sounds) evaporate population centers with nuke strikes. Again, probably balance reasons.

(in reply to IamMax)
Post #: 5
RE: Nukes - 6/19/2020 10:25:09 AM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nemo84

My one full game so far ended long before nukes were developed, but I did find some GR tactical nuke launchers in a test game. They were basically very deadly rocket artillery. One use only, because I didn't have the tech to rearm them.

Used it on a well-defended minor city. Killed about 1000 defenders and made the rest far easier to beat in regular combat.

How much population and workers did it kill?
Did it leave radiation inside the city and/or around it?
How severe was the damage to buildings?
What where the stats?

According to the handbook Atomics ignore calliber calculation, like physical does. But I have no idea what the attack even is - so no idea how much that helps.

(in reply to Nemo84)
Post #: 6
RE: Nukes - 6/19/2020 1:27:56 PM   
Tonzint

Report of attack against city by 100MT ICBM Supergroup (10xlauncher):

- 41,1k civilians killed out of X (all population dies to the nuclear fallout on following turns)
- 7306 damage to assets (all infrastructure crumbles on following turns)
- X number of killed soldiers
- 4000 RADs reported to have been added to the hex (5250 is the true value)
- 500 radioactives used on the attack

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 7
RE: Nukes - 6/19/2020 5:51:36 PM   
zgrssd

4 thousand RAD?
I guess there is a reason Rad Hazard table goes up to 12.8k. In case somebody does that twice.

Is there any relevant decay of that RAD count on the Hex? I mean, half life time would have to run out rather quickly for some of the fallout.

For the effects:
Vehicles and Battledress only give you -500, for 3.5k 3.2k with Radiation Filter tech. Solid Rad Hazard 7 (35% losses, 30% Readiness and Base Morale Cap)
That is beyond anything you can compensate for with buildings. Maybe with a Rad Treatment Center 7 (-2800 for 10k people) you have a chance? But with that, you would need Assets reduction to be cumulative in teh city hex to stand a chance.

(in reply to Tonzint)
Post #: 8
RE: Nukes - 6/19/2020 6:26:51 PM   
Tonzint

Radiation points on the center are 5250. On the next ring of hexes it is 3375. After that 1750, 620 and last 160.

I cannot percieve any relevant decay over 5 turns but I keep observing.

What I later realised that attack of this size destroys the city completely. I tried keeping the city alive by pumping colonist there to build radiation protection but they all died.
As I closed the last asset on the city, T1 Truck Station, the zone ceased existing and the next turn its territory was divided between existing zones.

< Message edited by Tonzint -- 6/19/2020 6:27:06 PM >

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 9
RE: Nukes - 6/19/2020 6:27:36 PM   
IamMax

You'd have to be able to build and operate the rad treatment center after the city lost all of its buildings and many or most of its citizens. Which would take, what, several dozen turns before production penalties?

There wouldn't be anything left to save by the time construction finished. If it ever finished.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 10
RE: Nukes - 6/19/2020 9:28:06 PM   
KingHalford

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tonzint

- 41,1k civilians killed out of X (all population dies to the nuclear fallout on following turns)

Yeah! Now we're talking!

Ben "BATTLEMODE"
www.eXplorminate.co

(in reply to Tonzint)
Post #: 11
RE: Nukes - 6/19/2020 11:00:48 PM   
olin0111

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tonzint

Ok. I take back what I wrote. Apparently population can be killed in this game. You just need more than 3x1MT that I used. That IS a weapon to end all wars. And civilization.

(in reply to Tonzint)
Post #: 12
RE: Nukes - 6/20/2020 12:02:24 AM   
Arkangilos

Beautiful, that’s what I’ll have to shoot for to be sure of victory.

(in reply to olin0111)
Post #: 13
RE: Nukes - 7/14/2020 2:12:12 AM   
Arkangilos

Sorry for bringing this back, but can you nuke them without having units by when using ICBM's or do you have to do a normal attack then do switch?

(in reply to Arkangilos)
Post #: 14
RE: Nukes - 7/14/2020 2:18:45 AM   
Arkangilos

Never mind, figured it out. It's "A"

(in reply to Arkangilos)
Post #: 15
RE: Nukes - 7/14/2020 3:45:04 AM   
Pratapon51

In my recent game, there was a huge buffer of land between my regime and all the other majors, so I was able to expand and tech up in complete comfort. The major on the other side of the pole eventually declared war on me, at which point I immediately struck their cities with all my 10Mt and 50Mt ICBMs. Since they were too geographically distant to actually pose a ground invasion of my territory, they've been withering away.

(in reply to Arkangilos)
Post #: 16
RE: Nukes - 7/15/2020 12:00:37 PM   
GI Seve

Pressing the red button, listening to the wailing of my enemies on their comm net while they wither and die of horrible radiation while drinking beer, smoking massive cuban cigar and nomming on popcorn *evil laughter intensifies*

They said I can't be their God Emperor. I showed them what happens to unbelievers. I sleep like a child with smile on my face.

< Message edited by GI Seve -- 7/15/2020 12:01:44 PM >

HallelujaaGobble!

(in reply to Pratapon51)
Post #: 17
RE: Nukes - 7/15/2020 1:12:44 PM   
Hazard151

Radiation has no decay. Dealing with radiation depends on the rather expensive Radiation Cleansing Plant.

Frankly, nuking enemy cities and establishing new cities outside the radiation zones for an RCP seems to be the best way to go. RCPs may not be very quick, but even at the base level they are pretty effective, even if it takes a while to clear out all the radioactivity.

(in reply to GI Seve)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Nukes Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI