Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT: Bonhomme Richard Fire

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: Bonhomme Richard Fire Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT: Bonhomme Richard Fire - 7/12/2020 10:17:39 PM   
ushakov

USS Bonhomme Richard is on fire in the port of San Diego after an on-board explosion. More than 20 crew reported injured, but fortunately nothing life-threatening.

Seeing some reports that firefighters haven't been able to control the blaze and there's a possibility of losing the ship

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/crews-battle-3-alarm-blaze-on-military-assault-ship/2363877/

https://twitter.com/engineco16/status/1282417596759814145

Post #: 1
RE: OT: Bonhomme Richard Fire - 7/12/2020 10:31:16 PM   
Shellshock

Bad. Looks like the whole hanger deck is involved. Makes me wonder if the Navy will be willing to invest in repairing a heavily damaged 22 year old ship even if she survives.

(in reply to ushakov)
Post #: 2
RE: OT: Bonhomme Richard Fire - 7/12/2020 11:55:30 PM   
Dante Fierro

Whoa. Looks like she was just in an engagement. Good that no lives were lost though.

(in reply to Shellshock)
Post #: 3
RE: OT: Bonhomme Richard Fire - 7/13/2020 2:56:53 AM   
spence

quote:

Makes me wonder if the Navy will be willing to invest in repairing a heavily damaged 22 year old ship even if she survives.

So what does the Navy have waiting in the wings ready to be built to replace a 40 odd thousand ton LHD? Hate to say it but repair seems the better option but then again I did my time in the USCG where ships that were just 22 years old got FRAM'd.

(in reply to Dante Fierro)
Post #: 4
RE: OT: Bonhomme Richard Fire - 7/13/2020 6:32:27 AM   
Leandros

Interesting to note that CNN this morning didn't even mention the incident. Can't be too serious, then. I mean, CNN is, after all, a very reliable institution. It was on BBC and all the Scandinavian news-sites. And, of course, the Russian.....

Fred

River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D34QCWQ/?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&ref=series_rw_dp_labf

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 5
RE: OT: Bonhomme Richard Fire - 7/13/2020 11:29:12 AM   
fcooke

The USN has not had a good run recently. Collisions and now this. I am beginning to wonder about the training standards.

(in reply to Leandros)
Post #: 6
RE: OT: Bonhomme Richard Fire - 7/13/2020 12:26:20 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: fcooke

The USN has not had a good run recently. Collisions and now this. I am beginning to wonder about the training standards.

If it was under repair/refit, I would first suspect the yard crews. Welding on avgas tanks is never good joss ...

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 7
RE: OT: Bonhomme Richard Fire - 7/13/2020 12:27:26 PM   
CV10

quote:

ORIGINAL: Leandros

Interesting to note that CNN this morning didn't even mention the incident. Can't be too serious, then. I mean, CNN is, after all, a very reliable institution. It was on BBC and all the Scandinavian news-sites. And, of course, the Russian.....

Fred

From Yesterday and today:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/13/us/uss-bonhomme-richard-fire-monday/index.html

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/12/us/ship-explosion-san-diego-naval-base/index.html

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2020/07/12/navy-ship-fire-san-diego-uss-bonhomme-richard-sot-vpx.cnn

I'm not sure if it got mentioned on TV this morning, but then again, we're in a 24 hr news coverage world now and I might have missed it.

< Message edited by CV10 -- 7/13/2020 12:48:23 PM >

(in reply to Leandros)
Post #: 8
RE: OT: Bonhomme Richard Fire - 7/13/2020 12:37:11 PM   
CV10

Glad that no one was killed, and here's hoping that the injured enjoy a speedy recovery.

It'll be interesting to see if the ship can be repaired, or if it's been damaged beyond repair.

< Message edited by CV10 -- 7/13/2020 12:39:22 PM >

(in reply to CV10)
Post #: 9
RE: OT: Bonhomme Richard Fire - 7/13/2020 1:08:46 PM   
geofflambert

Still on fire.

"Sobeck, commander of Expeditionary Strike Group 3, told the Union-Tribune that the Navy thinks the fire began somewhere in a lower cargo hold where marine equipment and vehicles are stored.

The fire was not a fueled by fuel oil, hazardous materials or electrical causes, Sobeck told the newspaper. It was fueled by paper, cloth, rags or other materials in a standard fire. He said he is not concerned about the air quality or toxicity around the fire.

The explosion was probably caused by a change in air pressure, he told the Union-Tribune."

I sure am glad the air pressure doesn't change very often. I mean you're more likely to get hit with a tornado or anticyclone, right?

(in reply to CV10)
Post #: 10
RE: OT: Bonhomme Richard Fire - 7/13/2020 1:37:53 PM   
RangerJoe

The rapid increase in heat with no relief valve probably caused the explosion. Think of a pressure cooker with the steam relief valve stuck.

Those were probably dirty, greasy rags that probably were not stored correctly. Probably some may have had a highly volatile cleaner on some as well.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 11
RE: OT: Bonhomme Richard Fire - 7/13/2020 1:51:32 PM   
Leandros

quote:

ORIGINAL: CV10
I'm not sure if it got mentioned on TV this morning, but then again, we're in a 24 hr news coverage world now and I might have missed it.

It was nothing on here this morning but I see they are running it now.

Fred

https://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=113524

https://www.navy.mil/index.asp

< Message edited by Leandros -- 7/13/2020 1:57:23 PM >

River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D34QCWQ/?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&ref=series_rw_dp_labf

(in reply to CV10)
Post #: 12
RE: OT: Bonhomme Richard Fire - 7/13/2020 2:01:17 PM   
RangerJoe

Heavy fires, Naval Support helping to fight the fires.

It is probably that it would get repaired since the hull should be intact. It should be in better shape than the USS Cole and it is in a better location.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Leandros)
Post #: 13
RE: OT: Bonhomme Richard Fire - 7/13/2020 2:12:06 PM   
fcooke

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

If it was under repair/refit, I would first suspect the yard crews. Welding on avgas tanks is never good joss ...

Didn't one one of the LA class SSNs get taken out by the yard crew? IIRC she never went back into service.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 14
RE: OT: Bonhomme Richard Fire - 7/13/2020 2:21:29 PM   
Shellshock

quote:

Didn't one one of the LA class SSNs get taken out by the yard crew? IIRC she never went back into service.

Probably, the USS Miami.

quote:

On 23 May 2012, during a scheduled maintenance overhaul, USS Miami suffered extensive damage from a fire, which was later determined to have been part of a series of fires started deliberately by a civilian shipyard worker who was seeking time off from work. The Navy determined it would be uneconomical to repair the submarine and decided to decommission and scrap her instead.

Sabotaging a Navy ship to get some down time. Geez. Who needs enemy agents with that domestic mentality?

< Message edited by Shellshock -- 7/13/2020 2:37:11 PM >

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 15
RE: OT: Bonhomme Richard Fire - 7/13/2020 2:39:12 PM   
Shellshock

Just as a postscript to that story, the worker who started that fire on the Miami is still in jail. Casey Fury is serving his sentence in Fort Dix, New Jersey, and is scheduled to be released Aug. 4, 2027. In a telephone interview with the Portsmouth Herald five years ago, Casey said he was pressured by a public defender to plead guilty to arson, was on multiple prescription drugs during that time and if he lit the submarine on fire, he doesn’t remember doing it.

< Message edited by Shellshock -- 7/13/2020 2:40:25 PM >

(in reply to Shellshock)
Post #: 16
RE: OT: Bonhomme Richard Fire - 7/13/2020 2:40:42 PM   
fcooke

I thought it was an accident, did not realize it was intentional. I hope that person is in prison for a long time. And that probably a billion dollar asset.

(in reply to Shellshock)
Post #: 17
RE: OT: Bonhomme Richard Fire - 7/13/2020 2:49:09 PM   
durnedwolf

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Still on fire.

"Sobeck, commander of Expeditionary Strike Group 3, told the Union-Tribune that the Navy thinks the fire began somewhere in a lower cargo hold where marine equipment and vehicles are stored.

The fire was not a fueled by fuel oil, hazardous materials or electrical causes, Sobeck told the newspaper. It was fueled by paper, cloth, rags or other materials in a standard fire. He said he is not concerned about the air quality or toxicity around the fire.

The explosion was probably caused by a change in air pressure, he told the Union-Tribune."

I sure am glad the air pressure doesn't change very often. I mean you're more likely to get hit with a tornado or anticyclone, right?

That story sounds familiar - like back in the day at Roswell...

Attachment (1)

DW

I try to live by two words - tenacity and gratitude. Tenacity gets me where I want to go and gratitude ensures I'm not angry along the way. - Henry Winkler.

The great aim of education is not knowledge but action. - Herbert Spencer

Post #: 18
RE: OT: Bonhomme Richard Fire - 7/13/2020 3:21:40 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: durnedwolf

quote:

Still on fire.

That story sounds familiar - like back in the day at Roswell...

That looks like aluminium backed fabric.

― Julia Child

(in reply to durnedwolf)
Post #: 19
RE: OT: Bonhomme Richard Fire - 7/13/2020 8:05:06 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Still on fire.

Fire starting in rags sounds like the classic spontaneous combustion of oily materials. Slow oxidation of the oil builds up heat in the middle of the materials that have insulating properties. Its a poor mechanic/worker that doesn't know about that hazard. Even with light industrial equipment in the facility I managed, we made sure the contract mechanic had a fireproof can to dispose of his rags.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 20
RE: OT: Bonhomme Richard Fire - 7/13/2020 9:30:20 PM   
Bodei

I heard they were switching from bombs to torpedoes when it happened...

(in reply to ushakov)
Post #: 21
RE: OT: Bonhomme Richard Fire - 7/14/2020 1:15:44 AM   
Footslogger

I saw this "Sensational" article.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/1-000-degree-blaze-continues-to-rage-aboard-aboard-navy-ship-in-san-diego/ar-BB16H1yW?ocid=msedgdhp

Steel begins to melt at 2,700 degrees Fahrenheit.

(in reply to Bodei)
Post #: 22
RE: OT: Bonhomme Richard Fire - 7/14/2020 1:36:40 AM   
fcooke

Sad to say - if you cannot get a fire out in a warship in 24 hours something is very wrong......

(in reply to Footslogger)
Post #: 23
RE: OT: Bonhomme Richard Fire - 7/14/2020 1:42:47 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Sad to say - if you cannot get a fire out in a warship in 24 hours something is very wrong......

The earlier info about Naval Support being called in to help with firefighting implies that there is no crew aboard, just the dockyard people who are unlikely to be properly trained in firefighting. The ship would have no power to operate its firefighting systems, everything would have to originate from shore.

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 24
RE: OT: Bonhomme Richard Fire - 7/14/2020 3:24:02 AM   
geofflambert

The report was that the ship was nearly completely unmanned when the fire started and those that were left were in the process of deboarding.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 25
RE: OT: Bonhomme Richard Fire - 7/14/2020 10:09:07 PM   
geofflambert

Attachment (1)

Post #: 26
RE: OT: Bonhomme Richard Fire - 7/15/2020 1:38:00 AM   
Anachro

I'm seeing reports of "damaged beyond repair" and 1000+ degree fires raging below.

Post #: 27
RE: OT: Bonhomme Richard Fire - 7/15/2020 6:22:59 AM   
Yaab

Those raging rags!

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 28
RE: OT: Bonhomme Richard Fire - 7/15/2020 12:42:08 PM   
JohnDillworth

Still looking for a photo saw yesterday form an overhead helicopter. Flight deck is completely burnt through on about 40% of the deck. Everything I can see through the deck is ash. Might be burnt through numerous decks. Mast has also seemed to have collapsed into the deck. This is going to be a write off.

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 29
RE: OT: Bonhomme Richard Fire - 7/15/2020 12:56:18 PM   
JohnDillworth

Found this photo. I saw a high-res version of this yesterday but it quickly got wiped from the internet. Probably classified but here is a thumbnail form my browser cache

Attachment (1)

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: Bonhomme Richard Fire Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI