Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is there any way to run Shadow Empire in a window?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Is there any way to run Shadow Empire in a window? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is there any way to run Shadow Empire in a window? - 6/3/2020 6:08:30 PM   
tomchick

I don't see any option to run in a window within the game preferences, but is there perhaps some sort of .ini file modification or command line parameter?

-Tom
Post #: 1
RE: Is there any way to run Shadow Empire in a window? - 6/3/2020 6:12:27 PM   
Shards

Hi Tom,

Yep, there's a file you can alter.

windows.txt in the root directory.

Change to something like:

dpi_by_windows=off
windowed_mode=on
windowed_mode_w=1920
windowed_mode_h=1080

Ta

(in reply to tomchick)
Post #: 2
RE: Is there any way to run Shadow Empire in a window? - 6/4/2020 8:55:13 AM   
tomchick

Perfect! Is there any reason it's not an option from within the ingame settings? It seems like something a fair number of people might want to uee.

-Tom

(in reply to Shards)
Post #: 3
RE: Is there any way to run Shadow Empire in a window? - 6/4/2020 9:11:59 AM   
Vic

Hi Tom,

You might be a smaller minority than you think.

And my to-do list is always overflowing. So there is always something to work on that more people like to see.

Best wishes,
Vic

< Message edited by Vic -- 6/4/2020 9:12:12 AM >

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

(in reply to tomchick)
Post #: 4
RE: Is there any way to run Shadow Empire in a window? - 6/4/2020 4:14:09 PM   
SundiataWTF

I'm with Tom. I'd like a windowed mode so I can put the manual up on the other half of the screen -- easier to learn that way, at least for me.

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 5
RE: Is there any way to run Shadow Empire in a window? - 6/4/2020 4:54:29 PM   
Bleek

I have an ultrawide screen, going windowed mode for this type of game is the norm for me too.

(in reply to SundiataWTF)
Post #: 6
RE: Is there any way to run Shadow Empire in a window? - 6/4/2020 4:56:30 PM   
Vic

I am taking note guys. Luckily it is possible, though not very user friendly.

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

(in reply to Bleek)
Post #: 7
RE: Is there any way to run Shadow Empire in a window? - 6/4/2020 5:00:15 PM   
Bleek

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vic

I am taking note guys. Luckily it is possible, though not very user friendly.

It's okay, I've just edited the ini - simple enough!

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 8
RE: Is there any way to run Shadow Empire in a window? - 6/4/2020 5:27:27 PM   
SamMAVRS

even after doing all that in the windows.txt file the scaling is still so tiny. i tried all the way from 720p to 4k nothing changed no matter the sizes

(in reply to tomchick)
Post #: 9
RE: Is there any way to run Shadow Empire in a window? - 6/4/2020 5:31:42 PM   
SamMAVRS

omg the text was so tiny in 4k i didnt see the tiny gfx panel.

(in reply to SamMAVRS)
Post #: 10
RE: Is there any way to run Shadow Empire in a window? - 6/4/2020 5:32:10 PM   
EagleMountainDK

quote:

ORIGINAL: SamMAVRS

even after doing all that in the windows.txt file the scaling is still so tiny. i tried all the way from 720p to 4k nothing changed no matter the sizes

Have you tried the difference resolution options under "PREFS -> Gfx & Resolution"? There are 7/8 (125% DPI), 3/4 (150% DPI) and 5/8 (175% DPI).

(in reply to SamMAVRS)
Post #: 11
RE: Is there any way to run Shadow Empire in a window? - 6/4/2020 5:55:40 PM   
Bleek

Also try setting your Windows scaling to 125 or 150%.

(in reply to EagleMountainDK)
Post #: 12
RE: Is there any way to run Shadow Empire in a window? - 6/4/2020 6:52:00 PM   
kaliyama

+1 to all the earlier comments. I'm following this thread and will buy when there's good in-app support for high-res/widescreen monitors (i'm on 3440 x 1440). I have been burned on this with other matrix products not working properly on higher resolution monitors. If the game was on steam i'd buy without hesitation since I could get a refund, but without an easy refund policy i'm being asked to take a gamble on everything working right. Setting windows scaling to 125%-150% means I can't use any other programs. :(

(in reply to Bleek)
Post #: 13
RE: Is there any way to run Shadow Empire in a window? - 6/4/2020 8:48:17 PM   
eddieballgame

quote:

ORIGINAL: EagleMountainDK

quote:

ORIGINAL: SamMAVRS

Have you tried the difference resolution options under "PREFS -> Gfx & Resolution"? There are 7/8 (125% DPI), 3/4 (150% DPI) and 5/8 (175% DPI).

I am only getting '7/8 (125% DPI)' option, but all is well never the less.

(in reply to EagleMountainDK)
Post #: 14
RE: Is there any way to run Shadow Empire in a window? - 6/4/2020 11:33:24 PM   
Ibram

Where do you see Gfx and Resolution? under Prefs I only see sound effect and music volume

(in reply to eddieballgame)
Post #: 15
RE: Is there any way to run Shadow Empire in a window? - 6/4/2020 11:44:20 PM   
Vormithrax

You have to load into a game to see the full options menu. The 'Prefs' option from the main menu only has the sound and music options.

(in reply to Ibram)
Post #: 16
RE: Is there any way to run Shadow Empire in a window? - 6/5/2020 4:08:20 AM   
Arflec

I've edited the windows.txt file as noted above and am still getting the game full screen with the task bar overlaid on the bottom of the screen. I assume I am making a dumb mistake, but anyone have any ideas?

(in reply to Vormithrax)
Post #: 17
RE: Is there any way to run Shadow Empire in a window? - 6/5/2020 6:37:18 AM   
Vic

@Arflec,

Mmmhh...
Did you specify windowed_mode_w and windowed_mode_h values lower than your current screen resolution?

Best wishes,
Vic

(in reply to Arflec)
Post #: 18
RE: Is there any way to run Shadow Empire in a window? - 6/5/2020 3:20:47 PM   
Arflec

Vic:

Thanks for the reply. I had tried various screen resolution settings with the same results. I ultimately rebooted because of some other flakiness with my system and now I get full screen at desktop resolution with no task bar, so all's well that ends well, as I prefer to play that way. I really appreciate your taking the time to respond and am loving the game so far.

Arflec

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 19
RE: Is there any way to run Shadow Empire in a window? - 6/13/2020 8:00:34 PM   
Reanimator

I generally don't even buy war games if they don't have the ability to do windowed mode and lack wasd camera controls. I made an exception for shadow empires because I enjoy your other games so much, so I would be more than pleased if you add the option to the main gui. I'm enjoying it so far, thanks for the hard work.

(in reply to Arflec)
Post #: 20
RE: Is there any way to run Shadow Empire in a window? - 7/16/2020 2:35:18 AM   
AdmiralEntropy

+1 to adding a way to enter windowed mode in the UI, or at least put something in the manual. Otherwise you can only find out how to do it by first figuring out how to search the forum ;)

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 21
RE: Is there any way to run Shadow Empire in a window? - 7/16/2020 10:50:56 AM   
Sieppo

I think the game is by default on borderless (windowed) more, so alt tabbing is no hassle. Not sure though (not at home), not had any problems with alt tabbing but some people with less powerful systems might have. Was looking for the setting as usual first thing after installed but forgot about it since had no actual problems.

(in reply to AdmiralEntropy)
Post #: 22
RE: Is there any way to run Shadow Empire in a window? - 7/16/2020 8:31:54 PM   
ch53A/Dvet_slith

There is a minimize screen option inside the pref's tab. I know it doesn't fit the bill but at least you can switch out the screens to read your manual running in the background.

(in reply to Sieppo)
Post #: 23
RE: Is there any way to run Shadow Empire in a window? - 7/16/2020 9:09:03 PM   
Twotribes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sieppo

I think the game is by default on borderless (windowed) more, so alt tabbing is no hassle. Not sure though (not at home), not had any problems with alt tabbing but some people with less powerful systems might have. Was looking for the setting as usual first thing after installed but forgot about it since had no actual problems.

Most of the people here are saying they want 2 things up at same time so alt tab isn't helpful to them specifically nor is the preference that allows you easily to get to windows in game. I don't need windows mode as I dont have a screen big enough to utilize double stuff. The in game preference setting is fine for me but I can see where those with big screens could use it.

(in reply to Sieppo)
Post #: 24
RE: Is there any way to run Shadow Empire in a window? - 7/17/2020 1:04:51 PM   
ZiggyMaca

If you un-screen lock the mouse in the options, you don't need to alt-TAB. The only thing that is annoying could be that the map will scroll in direction of the mouse on the other screen till you click on the other screen or desktop.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 25
RE: Is there any way to run Shadow Empire in a window? - 7/18/2020 8:37:10 PM   
RocketMan

If I set the screen resolution in the windows.txt file to match my screen resolution (2560x1600), the bottom of the window is pushed off the screen. It looks like the windows bar on top of the window is not accounted for in the window size, thus making the vertical dimension more than the vertical pixel setting and pushing the bottom of the window off screen.

To get the full window to be visible I have to set windows.txt at 2560x1569.

It also starts out about 20 pixels off from the left side of the screen for some reason.

< Message edited by RocketMan -- 7/18/2020 8:41:57 PM >

(in reply to ZiggyMaca)
Post #: 26
RE: Is there any way to run Shadow Empire in a window? - 7/19/2020 10:48:17 AM   
Vic

quote:

ORIGINAL: AdmiralEntropy

+1 to adding a way to enter windowed mode in the UI, or at least put something in the manual. Otherwise you can only find out how to do it by first figuring out how to search the forum ;)

modding the windows.txt file is actually not a supported feature. It works for most people, that is why we mentioned it on the forums :)

(in reply to AdmiralEntropy)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Is there any way to run Shadow Empire in a window? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI