Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Transferring game to new computer....?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Transferring game to new computer....? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Transferring game to new computer....? - 7/16/2020 1:14:44 AM   
Flying Tiger

I think the title says what i need to ask. I've updated my computer but cannot figure how to get any of the saved games from the old clunker. Having invested several years into the game i dont want to just abandon the campaign and start again. I suspect it would mean walking away from the game :(.

So, how do i transfer the save game and continue playing?!

Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Transferring game to new computer....? - 7/16/2020 1:25:11 AM   
Anachro

I have done this multiple times. First, you'll need to install the game normally on your new PC using the installation files from when you bought the game. After that, simply copy the folders from your old PC (using a USB stick or Dropbox, etc) to your new PC, I usually put them in a folder on the Desktop. After that, simply go into your copied folder and to your game's shortcut, right click on the shortcut and go to properties (i.e. the area where you'd change your switches for the game like -px 1920 -py 1080) and update youe "Start in" and "Target" lines or w/e they are called to reflect the folders new location.

(in reply to Flying Tiger)
Post #: 2
RE: Transferring game to new computer....? - 7/16/2020 1:30:53 AM   
Anachro

Also, just to be sure, are you saying you've updated your Windows or something? Or did you buy a new PC? Do you have access to your old installation files/folder?

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 3
RE: Transferring game to new computer....? - 7/16/2020 6:56:47 AM   
Ian R

If you registered the game, log in to the store, go to your game page, download again, install, and your registration code number will be there. You should only need to go to the 1.26b beta download from here to further patch.

If you have the standard install, it should be that you go to C:/Matrix Games/War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition/save and copy the files with names like wpae012.pws etc to drop in your new save folder. They will then show up on your save list in game.

If you have a lot of modded scenario files, etc, then you could bulk copy all the sub directories, move them over to paste on your new machine, and tell it to skip any files that are already there.

Also, you can probably copy across your shortcut, but the new machine might work better with some change to your switches.

Edit - if you don't have your registration code number, there is a way to recover it on your old computer if it does not appear on your game page on the matrix site.

< Message edited by Ian R -- 7/16/2020 7:04:55 AM >

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 4
RE: Transferring game to new computer....? - 7/16/2020 9:12:36 AM   
GetAssista

I just copied the game files and then copied the registry information for the game (where the license is stored). Works fine transferred from Win 7 to Win 10

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 5
RE: Transferring game to new computer....? - 7/16/2020 9:42:50 AM   
Ian R

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

I just copied the game files and then copied the registry information for the game (where the license is stored). Works fine transferred from Win 7 to Win 10

Personally, I don't know where the registry info is. That would be easier though.

I did remember though that if you cut and paste the serial number into the installation prompt it rejects it - you need to type it in.

< Message edited by Ian R -- 7/16/2020 9:43:13 AM >

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 6
RE: Transferring game to new computer....? - 7/16/2020 3:39:48 PM   
Zorch

Another way to work the problem is to take the hard drive out of your old computer and connect it to the new one using a hard drive docking station.

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 7
RE: Transferring game to new computer....? - 7/16/2020 6:57:01 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

I recently changed computers and it was not a big deal

I had to copy from CD to USB drive because the new laptop doesn't have a CD player. But game installed without any issue from USB, serial number was accepted

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 8
RE: Transferring game to new computer....? - 7/17/2020 2:29:16 AM   
Flying Tiger

Thanks guys! Much appreciated.

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Transferring game to new computer....? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI