Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Naval war mod?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Naval war mod? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Naval war mod? - 11/1/2018 11:25:52 PM   
Hairog

Has anyone done a mod of the naval game? If so where can I look into it? I tried a search and nothing comes up...nothing ever comes up. I have the search engine in this forum.

Anyway, I want to see if modifying the war on the high seas is possible and or worth the effort.

WW III 1946 Books
SC3 EAW WW Three 1946 Mod and Naval Mods
WarPlan and WarPlan Pac Alpha and Be
Post #: 1
RE: Naval war mod? - 11/3/2018 6:04:58 PM   
ThunderLizard11

Would be great as AI is weak on naval side of things

(in reply to Hairog)
Post #: 2
RE: Naval war mod? - 11/6/2018 8:38:06 AM   
TheBattlefield

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hairog

Has anyone done a mod of the naval game? If so where can I look into it? I tried a search and nothing comes up...nothing ever comes up. I have the search engine in this forum.

Anyway, I want to see if modifying the war on the high seas is possible and or worth the effort.

I have not heard of a special naval war mod. But various existing modifications have tried to change aspects of the naval war. Please look in the respective Readme files.

For example, in my Elite Forces mod, I ventured into submarine warfare. My goal was to make the efficiency of destroyers, submarines and carrier ships a bit more historically intuitive and variable. The introduction of new research areas, the adaptation of existing research, the permanent reduction of unit strengths as well as a cautious optimization of combat strengths and damage avoidance were finally the trick.

(in reply to Hairog)
Post #: 3
RE: Naval war mod? - 11/7/2018 1:37:50 AM   
Hairog

Hey kirk23,

In studying the stats of WWII, you see certain facts...
1. Capital ships were not sunk by gunfire. In fact not that many were sunk at all but damaged and relegated to port for repairs. Most that were sunk were on suicide missions by the Japanese or in port by sneak attack (mini-subs, erstwhile allies like the Royal Navy and the French fleet or air attack like Pearl Harbor.
2. Two exceptions were the US and British Carriers and the British cruisers. A good number were sunk by air attack.
3. Surface engagements, without air units involved, were incredibly rare.
4. Subs and destroyers were sunk by the hundreds. Cruisers by the dozens. The British lost a lot of Cruisers.
5. Bombs, torpedoes and mines did the most damage
6. Transports and merchant marine were sunk by the thousands... thousands.... I was amazed at how many.

Still trying to find a good list for the Japanese losses.

I have to confess I haven't played your mod yet but will look into it. Thanks

quote:

The introduction of new research areas, the adaptation of existing research, the permanent reduction of unit strengths as well as a cautious optimization of combat strengths and damage avoidance were finally the trick.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Hairog -- 11/7/2018 1:41:54 AM >

WW III 1946 Books

(in reply to TheBattlefield)
Post #: 4
RE: Naval war mod? - 11/7/2018 2:07:18 PM   
TheBattlefield

Hello Hairog,

I have to admit that I probably did not really understand your approach to a naval game mod yet. (I am old and slow )

As a basis for adjustments in unit behavior the bare loss numbers of naval units during World War II seem less helpful at first glance. These are likely to be primarily the result of operational (miss) planning, availability of units and components and ultimately also various random variables. Even in the vanilla version of the game, in the end I occasionally sent large parts of my fleet to the bottom of the sea - or not lost a single capital ship. Strategy and luck.

What bothered me from the start was the combat behavior of some units, which does not always lead to the intuitively expectable possibilities and combat results for the affected weapon class.

For example, the submarines have typical features such as silent move and alarm diving. At the same time these units baffle (I'm exaggerating something) with the robustness of a cruiser, the escape behavior of a speedboat with cloaking device and on the offensive with the strike power of a river gunboat.

From a submarine, I would rather expect a high degree of fragility and - depending on the constellation - moderate chances of escape on the defensive. At the same time, in the event of a successful attack, I would expect at least an immediate loss of serious "operational capability" on the part of the opponent.

Basically, I think that the presentation of the naval warfare in the current version of the game is quite successful. Small adjustments with the editor here and there make everything even better ... even if only for personal taste.

(in reply to Hairog)
Post #: 5
RE: Naval war mod? - 11/7/2018 8:28:23 PM   
Hairog

I suggest that we should strive to let the players accurately simulate the successful tactics, strategies of WW2. The land and air systems do an excellent job of fulfilling that goal. I am always amazed at how closely a historical strategy mimics history, yet how drastically changing those historical choices can logically alter the outcomes in this simulation.

I would just like to see the naval phase of the game be as successful.

WW III 1946 Books

Post #: 6
RE: Naval war mod? - 11/8/2018 3:29:05 AM   
mroyer

quote:

Still trying to find a good list for the Japanese losses.

From "World War II, A Statistical Survey" by John Ellis, p261
Japanese Naval Losses
Aircraft Carriers 19
Battleships 8
Cruisers 37
Destroyers 134
Submarines 130

-Mark R.

(in reply to Hairog)
Post #: 7
RE: Naval war mod? - 11/9/2018 2:08:32 AM   
Hairog

Thanks mroyer. Culled from Wiki, by my counting, there were 86 BB/BC/DN involved in WW2 of those 21 were sunk in combat. 10 by aircraft bombs and torps, 6 by naval guns and or torps, 4 by submarines and 1 by mines. 'Some like the Bismark were damaged by planes then ganged up on by all sorts of mayhem but the planes did the critical hit. Many of the Japanese BBs were on suicide missions and took damage from every weapons system mentioned.
I consider the critical hit as the one that doomed the ship. Hence the Bismark was doomed by a torpedo launched from a RN Swordfish that damaged it's rudders preventing any effective defense or fleeting.

WW III 1946 Books

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 8
RE: Naval war mod? - 11/9/2018 12:31:10 PM   
TheBattlefield

quote:

I would just like to see the naval phase of the game be as successful.

The forum has repeatedly questioned the presentation and interaction of aircraft carriers, destroyers and submarines. In addition, the supposedly unrealistic implementation of the maximum march range of ship units (and aircraft) was noted in relation to the turn lengths simulated in the game (weekly / monthly).

Where do you see the weaknesses of the current version?

< Message edited by TheBattlefield -- 11/9/2018 12:35:26 PM >

(in reply to Hairog)
Post #: 9
RE: Naval war mod? - 11/11/2018 1:18:39 AM   
Hairog

1. would be the swarming effect. Where ships or groups of ships,come from the far flung reaches of the world to attack a lone unit. Sometimes that unit retreat six time or more and ends up surrounded. I don't think I've ever read an account of a ship being surrounded at sea. Blockaded in port possibly but not surrounded in the ocean.
2. Individual ships steaming around was rare unless they were raiders. Most operations were performed by task forces. I guess it could be argued that each DD/CA/CL unit represents a task force of destroyers etc. or a flotilla. But again there were not many DD based task forces that I know of. I suppose the game could be said to represent the flotilla of screening DD, but they should have to stay with the ships they are screening.
3. Surface ships see and engage each other too often in the open sea. Historically surface fleets sans carriers or land based planes, met each other at choke points.
4. The carnage is too great during most naval battles in game. I suppose it could be argued that they are not sunk but limp back home to be never repaired or scuttled like so many actually were. So like land units being seemingly wiped out by tactical air...they aren't really destroyed but made inoperable for an extended period of time. If this is indeed the case there should be some way of making this fact better known.
5. Repair times are way...way too fast. A battleship limps home to a major port with one point remaining and is repaired in one turn. Whether it is a couple of weeks or even months. it still isn't kosher.

I know the point of the game is to be fun and fast as well as accurate as possible. I'm just trying to figure out how to do all that within the current design parameters.

By the way I'm having some interesting results with using high avoidance, increased zones of control, high damage when a hit does occur and two strikes instead of one. It creates more attempts but less damage over all but with more critical hits. In addition the DD actually screen and prevent surface ships from getting to the CVs etc. As was truly the case.

I've also increased the MMPs cost to repair a ship by a considerable amount. This seems to effectively simulate increasing the repair times since you and the AI simply run out of resources. I keep you informed on how it goes.

Found another list of battleship losses. The author came to a number of different conclusions as to what the cause of their demise was than I did. He leaned even heavier on the side of attacks by planes than I did.

"As a side bar….

A list of Battleships sunk during WW2 due to enemy action (full list on wiki)

Arizona - air attack
Barham - submarine attack
Bismark - air & final Surface ships
Fuso - air attack
Hyuga - air attack
Isa - air attack
Kirishima - surface attack
Haruna - air attack
Hiei - surface attack
Kongo - submarine attack
Mushasi - air attack
Mutsu - exploded, faulty ammunition
Oklahoma - air attack
Prince of Wales - air attack
Roma - air attack
Royal Oak - submarine attack
Scharnhorst - surface attack
Tirpitz - air attack
Yamashiro - air attack, finish off by surface attack
Yamato - air attack.
20 sunk (did not include French Navy at Oran or Italian Navy at Toranto)

Only 3 sunk by purely surface action, 2 sunk by surface vessels after air attacks crippled them - the rest by submarine and aircraft."

WW III 1946 Books

Post #: 10
RE: Naval war mod? - 11/12/2018 2:28:45 PM   
TheBattlefield

quote:

1. would be the swarming effect. Where ships or groups of ships,come from the far flung reaches of the world to attack a lone unit. Sometimes that unit retreat six time or more and ends up surrounded. I don't think I've ever read an account of a ship being surrounded at sea. Blockaded in port possibly but not surrounded in the ocean.

Yep. But that's exactly what happened in real live. Remember the "Graf Spee". But I think I understand what you want to suggest. Therefore, during the beta phase I suggested that a extended "forced march" should be defined as the (defensive) preset movement for ships. At the same time, there should be an optional offensive "Search & Battle Mode" with very short range.

quote:

2. Individual ships steaming around was rare unless they were raiders. Most operations were performed by task forces. I guess it could be argued that each DD/CA/CL unit represents a task force of destroyers etc. or a flotilla. But again there were not many DD based task forces that I know of. I suppose the game could be said to represent the flotilla of screening DD, but they should have to stay with the ships they are screening.

Right, so far I have understood the smaller ship units up to the light cruiser as a symbol of a battle group. I would not want to change anything here, as the decision to split up or merge ship units should not be dictated by the game.

quote:

3. Surface ships see and engage each other too often in the open sea. Historically surface fleets sans carriers or land based planes, met each other at choke points.

On the one hand, this may be a desired effect of the strategy chosen by both players, on the other hand, here I agree with you, this is somewhat unrealistically supported by a very large offensive "range of action", at least in relation to an "active" search. See Point 1.

quote:

4. The carnage is too great during most naval battles in game. I suppose it could be argued that they are not sunk but limp back home to be never repaired or scuttled like so many actually were. So like land units being seemingly wiped out by tactical air...they aren't really destroyed but made inoperable for an extended period of time. If this is indeed the case there should be some way of making this fact better known.

Well, yes. A matter of taste. Here, too, the high level of abstraction of the game probably demands a small tribute. If all units have a strength of "10", the only differences between destroyer and battleship are the pure combat values. That is little and therefore of course difficult. If up to 20 strength points could be awarded, the damage model would look a bit different. From my point of view, this could also benefit the land units in order to make a better distinction of the troop units in terms of their size. (On this occasion, even these unfortunate "elite strength points" could be replaced by a more differentiated "green to veteran" experience system)

quote:

5. Repair times are way...way too fast. A battleship limps home to a major port with one point remaining and is repaired in one turn. Whether it is a couple of weeks or even months. it still isn't kosher.

This point will be fixed with the next edition of the game.

quote:

By the way I'm having some interesting results with using high avoidance...

I can confirm. In this way I have achieved very positive results in my "Elite Forces" mod with destroyers and submarines.

quote:

Found another list of battleship losses. The author came to a number of different conclusions...

Basically, I would like to see strategic freedom, if possible, put above personal preferences and a tactical freedom of choice is not cut by overly restrictive gametechnical narrowing.

(in reply to Hairog)
Post #: 11
RE: Naval war mod? - 11/13/2018 1:54:26 AM   
Hairog

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheBattlefield

quote:

quote:

Yep. But that's exactly what happened in real live. Remember the "Graf Spee". But I think I understand what you want to suggest. Therefore, during the beta phase I suggested that a extended "forced march" should be defined as the (defensive) preset movement for ships. At the same time, there should be an optional offensive "Search & Battle Mode" with very short range.

The Graf Spree was loose from Sept to Dec. and was caught by chance on a hunch by three cruisers. There were 8 Task Forces formed to find the GS but only one had any luck. Kind of shows how hard it was to initiate surface combat without planes. Even then she could have escaped the cruisers but chose to attack instead.. Now the Bismark was indeed swarmed. But that involved planes.

quote:

quote:

Right, so far I have understood the smaller ship units up to the light cruiser as a symbol of a battle group. I would not want to change anything here, as the decision to split up or merge ship units should not be dictated by the game.

I would tend to agree but some consideration should be given to common sense. There was a reason that all navies chose task forces as the standard organizational structure. I would suggest that studies, experience and common sense dictated this choice. There must be some practical reason why this was the choice of many navies.

quote:

quote:

On the one hand, this may be a desired effect of the strategy [quotechosen by both players, on the other hand, here I agree with you, this is somewhat unrealistically supported by a very large offensive "range of action", at least in relation to an "active" search. See Point 1.

Agreed

quote:

quote:

Well, yes. A matter of taste. Here, too, the high level of abstraction of the game probably demands a small tribute. If all units have a strength of "10", the only differences between destroyer and battleship are the pure combat values. That is little and therefore of course difficult. If up to 20 strength points could be awarded, the damage model would look a bit different. From my point of view, this could also benefit the land units in order to make a better distinction of the troop units in terms of their size. (On this occasion, even these unfortunate "elite strength points" could be replaced by a more differentiated "green to veteran" experience system)

I like this idea...a lot! I'll try battleships at 10, CA 9, CL 8, DD 7 etc.and see what happens.

quote:

quote:

This point will be fixed with the next edition of the game.

Very good news!

quote:

By the way I'm having some interesting results with using high avoidance...

quote:

I can confirm. In this way I have achieved very positive results in my "Elite Forces" mod with destroyers and submarines.

Excellent news.

quote:

Found another list of battleship losses. The author came to a number of different conclusions...

quote:

Basically, I would like to see strategic freedom, if possible, put above personal preferences and a tactical freedom of choice is not cut by overly restrictive gametechnical narrowing.

I agree with the exception that you have to take into account there were reasons for certain standard practices and the limitations of the equipment, physics etc.

WW III 1946 Books

Post #: 12
RE: Naval war mod? - 11/13/2018 11:52:05 AM   
TheBattlefield

quote:

I like this idea...a lot! I'll try battleships at 10, CA 9, CL 8, DD 7 etc.and see what happens.

Please don't expect too much here. You will need a wider range of strength points to "feel" a size/armor effect within the game. I have set the strength points for submarines to 5, in order to achieve a noticeable difference in fragility to the surface ships. At the same time I had to introduce a very high damage avoidance, in order to reduce unrealistic total losses in an attack and to take into account a kind of "covert" attack. A residual risk remains and can be further reduced (among other effects) by the new research area "Submarine Warfare".

(in reply to Hairog)
Post #: 13
RE: Naval war mod? - 3/14/2019 11:48:41 PM   
Hairog

Sorry I missed this response. We've progressed quite far in the Naval Mod and the discussion has moved to the World At War forum.

Here

We need more beta testers and ideas like you have presented. I believe we have a real chance at making a game changer here...pun intended.

WW III 1946 Books

Post #: 14
RE: Naval war mod? - 7/17/2020 11:04:38 AM   
swdw

Will be interesting to try this once I'm done with the vanilla campaign. First thing I noticed taking into account the units in production, was the ratios of ship types between the US and Japan in 1941 were off. Did some math to figure out about how many of each ship type a unit in the game represented. It wasn't straight forward because of the numbers being off. But with what I finally came up with, Japan was closer to historical but not quite correct. The US numbers were the issue.

So far I'm in 1943 and I agree, reading through your threads and discussions on this, the combat did need modding.

Being a Naval war history buff, this was bugging me. Glad to see you tackled it.

< Message edited by swdw -- 7/17/2020 11:44:50 AM >

(in reply to Hairog)
Post #: 15
RE: Naval war mod? - 7/17/2020 11:44:27 AM   
swdw

BTW, the BIG item missing from this game is seaplane search. No PBY squadrons modeled, and no scout planes from cruisers. The Japanese and British were much more prevalent in their use of these than the US, but one of the reasons cruisers were used for scouts was because of the seaplanes.

(in reply to swdw)
Post #: 16
RE: Naval war mod? - 7/17/2020 4:49:52 PM   
Elessar2

The issue with the current build is that you can crank the radius of search to whatever your desired radius might be, but anything within that radius is certain to be seen. You can then do manual searches, but since the tracks are only 3 hexes wide you aren't very likely see anything, and have now wasted a full attack. Either give a percentage chance for the default spotting radius to see something (decreasing the farther away from the unit the enemy is), or have a separate "Reconaissance" command available, which will search out to the limits of the scenario designer's settings there, in all directions. Either way I think a percentage chance of spotting is the way to go-and note we already have the notion of randomly spotted enemies implemented, via the Spying tech. At least put a toggle in there for Imperfect Air Recon.

(in reply to swdw)
Post #: 17
RE: Naval war mod? - 7/18/2020 5:26:39 AM   
Hairog

What I have done is to give the Recon Task Forces (which had seaplanes) a search radius of 4 to represent the one plane per ship limit. The Hunter Killer Task Forces have a radius of 6 and the Fast CV TF a range of 8 to represent more planes out searching.

The Maritime air units have a search range of 8 representing the PBYs etc.

Another layer is the Attack avoidance percentage. For a CV TF the avoidance is 70%. So even is you slide up next to a Fast Carrier TF you only have a 30% chance of scoring a hit or two. This adds an element of luck as well. Unfortunately this does not apply to air attacks, but then again very few air attacks in WW2 failed to find the enemy. Correct me if I'm wrong but I can't think of any. Now the attacks might not have been successful in inflicting heavy damage but the still found the enemy and attacked.
m

WW III 1946 Books

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 18
RE: Naval war mod? - 7/18/2020 9:23:04 PM   
Elessar2

That happened plenty of times. First one to come to mind would be Hornet's dive bombers in Midway, for example; got lost going out, came back and couldn't find their own carrier either.

(in reply to Hairog)
Post #: 19
RE: Naval war mod? - 7/19/2020 5:06:30 AM   
Hairog

Can you cite a few more Elessar2?

Thanks
Harry

WW III 1946 Books

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 20
RE: Naval war mod? - 7/19/2020 5:49:06 PM   
Elessar2

Coral Sea, a twilight raid on May 7 by the Japanese failed to find the US task force before sundown, tho in the twilight some did (and tried to land on the American CV's).

6 TBFs got separated from their companion dive bombers at Santa Cruz and couldn't find the enemy.

(in reply to Hairog)
Post #: 21
RE: Naval war mod? - 7/22/2020 4:04:55 AM   
Hairog

Good stuff. I only could find one major strike that failed to find it's target in the Battle for the Philippine Sea out of the four. Quite frankly I was amazed and thought all the write ups were lacking in information. The fact that no US attacks were launched at all on the first day was astounding to me. I think the proximity fuse and the terrible skills of the Japanese naval airmen, helped us dodge a bullet. Four major attacks to zero and we won by shooting down the majority of the attacking planes. My experience in researching other battles was who got their first won. Did we know the Japanese were out of good pilots? If not we should have gotten our ass kicked, but the proximity fuse increases our AA hit rate by a factor of 7. But still no attacks to four, amazing.

Anyway so Philippine Sea 1 out of 5 major attacks failed to find their target.

Midway - a whole bunch of small attacks from ground based planes at Midway. I'll count those as two major strikes with all finding their targets. Lets call the three different attacks from the US carriers as separate attacks so another three and one at the end of the day for 6 with all finding their targets. The Japanese launched 2 and all found their targets.

Midway 8 out of 8 major attacks finding their targets.

Coral Sea - what a confused mess with miss identifications galore but from what I can gleam from Wiki all the strikes found their targets. Now their targets were not what was reported but that's another story. They all seem to have connected with their reported targets.

One write-up counted 6 major attacks another 5 and another 8 so I'm going with 5 out of 6 finding their targets.

So out of these 3 major engagements both sides launched a total of 19 major attacks with 16 finding their target for a 84% success rate.

WW III 1946 Books

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Naval war mod? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI