Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Thesis Naval War College Wargaming pre WWII

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Thesis Naval War College Wargaming pre WWII Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Thesis Naval War College Wargaming pre WWII - 7/17/2020 7:32:09 PM   
LowCommand

This is a Very Interesting Thesis about the US Naval War College’s war gaming up to about 1940. Or I find it interesting in that, despite Bywater’s ‘The Great Pacific War’ and his fight over the possibility of defending the Philippines with Roosevelt in the newspapers, the Naval War College kept war gaming the stomping to the islands in one grand expedition. And getting pretty well destroyed in the process. Oh, eventually the truth burned through. And they did get around to looking into Island Hopping, executing War Plan Orange and all the rest. But the fact the Admiral Sims was a big part of the College for a long time may have had something to do with this. For example, he and ‘Hollowing Mad’ had a ‘Little Discussion’ over how to invade an island.’ Sim’s plan was to just grab some Blue Jackets off the warships and take the island. And this was long, long before the US had anything like landing craft. And Sim’s was the guy who pretty much got the US Navy from 6,000 yards as impossibly long range to hitting things at 20,000 and more.

They also tried pretty much any and every way to get the job done. The Grand Circle route, etc, including going through the Panama Canal and attacking Japan from the west via India etc. I suspect that they planned to use the Brit Naval base at Singapore as the primary resupply and repair harbor.

But, to me, the interesting bit is how, slowly and painfully they worked up to something rather like the real war – and just in time.

To us, most of the really interesting stuff is in the last half. Before that, it’s mostly about the staff, the huge size of the gaming rooms and how the place actually operated.

This is the Thesis
https://ia801605.us.archive.org/14/items/in.ernet.dli.2015.193885/2015.193885.Naval-War-Games-A-Study-And-Implementation.pdf

This is Coral and Brass
https://www.marines.mil/Portals/1/Publications/FMFRP%2012-37.pdf?ver=2016-10-20-104738-143

"Mines reported in the fairway,
"Warn all traffic and detain,
"'Sent up Unity, Cralibel, Assyrian, Stormcock, and Golden Gain."
Post #: 1
RE: Thesis Naval War College Wargaming pre WWII - 7/18/2020 4:20:47 AM   
Dili

Thanks!

(in reply to LowCommand)
Post #: 2
RE: Thesis Naval War College Wargaming pre WWII - 7/18/2020 12:00:07 PM   
Leandros

"Coral and Brass" I knew but the other paper was very interesting to me. Tks for posting!

Fred

River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D34QCWQ/?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&ref=series_rw_dp_labf

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 3
RE: Thesis Naval War College Wargaming pre WWII - 7/18/2020 1:49:23 PM   
RangerJoe

I read about Howling Mad. He had a fight with the Navy people so the Marines would be considered actually part of the Navy and Marine officers would be treated as brother officers. Before that, Marines on ship could not use the ship's store. So they would pay fifty cents or even more for something that would cost five or ten cents. This was between the World Wars.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Leandros)
Post #: 4
RE: Thesis Naval War College Wargaming pre WWII - 7/18/2020 4:37:46 PM   
Don Bowen

I recommend: Winning a Future War: War Gaming and Victory in the Pacific War [link=https://www.amazon.com/Winning-Future-War-Victory-Pacific/dp/B084CRYK86/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1595089984&sr=8-1][/link]

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 5
RE: Thesis Naval War College Wargaming pre WWII - 12/1/2021 10:42:53 PM   
RevRick

Twenty years ago, I would have loved it.... Now pushing 73... EGAD!
I am going to take all of my teaching and all of my theology books to the local regional library and/or the local college. That is about 42 boxes of books, or about half of my library. My military history books and Sci/Fi ARE MINE - until my son inherits them.

< Message edited by RevRick -- 12/1/2021 10:44:08 PM >

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 6
RE: Thesis Naval War College Wargaming pre WWII - 12/2/2021 1:39:03 AM   
jedwardpita

Here is a link to the wargames the UK ran to develop anti-submarine tactics. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Approaches_Tactical_Unit

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 7
RE: Thesis Naval War College Wargaming pre WWII - 12/2/2021 10:53:30 PM   
Moltrey

The one thing that really stood out to me from reading "Beans, Bullets and Black Oil" by W.R. Carter was just how much the US Navy had to learn in the first year of the war. Although logistics can make for dry reading, it does help me make lots of connections when it comes to the Pacific War.

(in reply to jedwardpita)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Thesis Naval War College Wargaming pre WWII Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI