Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

when is it time for MP??

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> when is it time for MP?? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
when is it time for MP?? - 7/23/2020 2:13:31 PM   
boldairade

i mean, clearly not now. it took me 3 days and nearly a year in game to even make one paradrop.

but seriously, at what point is it time to play MP(and by that i mean get the snot kicked out of me, but be happy about it)
Post #: 1
RE: when is it time for MP?? - 7/23/2020 2:15:42 PM   
sillyflower

When you can find an opponent at a similar stage as a player.

As to being happy about losing, that's an entirely different issue. If I applied your test to myself, I would never have started playing PvP in any game in the last 60 years.

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/23/2020 2:18:33 PM >

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to boldairade)
Post #: 2
RE: when is it time for MP?? - 7/23/2020 6:24:16 PM   
boldairade

i'm enjoying your last kingdom aar.

as far as enjoying losing, i don't get mad until i think i have a chance(which is usually about 3 games before i ACTUALLY have a chance...)

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 3
RE: when is it time for MP?? - 7/23/2020 7:05:25 PM   
ncc1701e

@boldairade - I have asked myself the same question. And finally I have jumped in. I have lost ALL my PBEM so far but I do not regret it. You will learn much more seeing others than the AI.

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

(in reply to boldairade)
Post #: 4
RE: when is it time for MP?? - 7/23/2020 9:08:46 PM   
sillyflower

quote:

ORIGINAL: boldairade

i'm enjoying your last kingdom aar.

as far as enjoying losing, i don't get mad until i think i have a chance(which is usually about 3 games before i ACTUALLY have a chance...)

That's kind of you to say so.

I do have a couple of regular opponents who have never beaten me in anything for many years, but if everyone was like me the world would be an even more worrying place.

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

(in reply to boldairade)
Post #: 5
RE: when is it time for MP?? - 7/23/2020 9:59:59 PM   
MorningDew

Best way to learn, and makes playing against the AI boring. Jump in!

Post #: 6
RE: when is it time for MP?? - 7/24/2020 8:28:35 PM   
kennonlightfoot

The problem with playing the AI is that tactics that work easily against it will get you destroyed against a real player. It just creates bad habits. It is useful for learning the mechanics of the game but that is about it.

(in reply to MorningDew)
Post #: 7
RE: when is it time for MP?? - 7/24/2020 9:16:01 PM   
sillyflower

Very true!

web exchange

(in reply to kennonlightfoot)
Post #: 8
RE: when is it time for MP?? - 7/24/2020 9:16:33 PM   
sillyflower

deleted -double post

web exchange

Post #: 9
RE: when is it time for MP?? - 7/25/2020 2:21:59 AM   
baloo7777

quote:

ORIGINAL: kennonlightfoot

quote:

The problem with playing the AI is that tactics that work easily against it will get you destroyed against a real player. It just creates bad habits. It is useful for learning the mechanics of the game but that is about it.

It's a problem finding someone on the same level more or less to play. There is no way to gauge your abilities or anothers. For example, I see plenty of people looking for opponents that are a "good" Axis/Allied player. Ok. The game has been out less than 1 year, but there are many expert or very good players. I tried as a "newb" to pbem this game (though having played since the 1970s and online since 2005 or so). And just as you said, the AI (even at a high setting) is nothing like a human player. I lost 2 games badly and had one opponent stop playing for weeks and then resign. I still don't completely understand how some of the mechanics work as it is mostly under the hood. Do I now start seeking an opponent for pbem? If I continue to try playing the AI, will I learn anything useful? The bigger question is, if the server has less then 200 games going usually, does that mean only 400 people bought the game? I think the vast majority play the AI on this (and most) wargames.

JRR

Post #: 10
RE: when is it time for MP?? - 7/25/2020 5:08:34 AM   
sveint

Multiplayer is always good. Just play and have fun. Some of my most fun games have been losses.

(in reply to baloo7777)
Post #: 11
RE: when is it time for MP?? - 7/25/2020 10:28:30 AM   
Pfand

I remember thinking the same thing about my first job, and I had 3 years in college to prepare, study, and practice. And guess what? I was totally unprepared for day 1 of actual work.

So while the AI may be useful to learn basic fundamentals and mechanics, I agree that you won't really learn the practical application outside of playing real people who can organically react to your strategies, and come up with unexpected surprises for you to deal with. I also think the slower pace of multiplayer allows more time to think about the consequences of ones moves, as I sometimes find myself breezing through with the AI without as much thought about my actions as I would do with a human opponent.

For what it's worth, I'm in the same boat. Pretty sure anyone here could curb stomp me. My current game against normal Allied AI saw France hold on until December of '40, North Africa crumble, and I was woefully unprepared for Barbarossa by the time the historical date rolled around.

With that said, if you are uncomfortable with your skills to play good players, I'm certainly willing to offer you a more level playing field if you would like to break into multiplayer on the shallow side.

Edit: I don't know why my post says "in reply to sveint." I was replying to the original post. My apologies to sveint, I know you are one of said good players who would curb stomp me.

< Message edited by Pfand -- 7/25/2020 10:30:39 AM >

(in reply to sveint)
Post #: 12
RE: when is it time for MP?? - 7/25/2020 10:42:54 AM   
boldairade

pfand, sure, let's have a go!

i have no idea how to set up MP here on matrix, do you?

i'd like to be the axis, but if you really want to be them, i'll play the allies.

(in reply to Pfand)
Post #: 13
RE: when is it time for MP?? - 7/25/2020 11:08:57 AM   
Pfand

quote:

ORIGINAL: boldairade

pfand, sure, let's have a go!

i have no idea how to set up MP here on matrix, do you?

i'd like to be the axis, but if you really want to be them, i'll play the allies.

I'm perfectly fine with playing Allies, though I have next to no experience with them. Should be interesting and a learning experience for sure.

To be honest, I'm not sure. I believe you log in to the multiplayer server from the game menu using your Matrix info, and then select a scenario (Europe 1939 for example), a side, and a password (which the other player would then need.)

Since the Axis moves first, I imagine the player playing them would need to be the one creating the game. Then I believe you make your moves, save game/end turn should upload the save to the server which the other player would then be able to access to join/play their turn.

I could be way off, but it makes sense from what I can see. Maybe one of the vets will chime in.

(in reply to boldairade)
Post #: 14
RE: when is it time for MP?? - 7/25/2020 12:26:51 PM   
sillyflower

That is how to set up a game Phand. If you want any house rules eg no axis sea invasions via the Africa loop it's best to sort these ASAP. Also sometimes a good idea to agree on no. of turns per week /day if either of you is really bothered but it's best not to rush turns and to inform opponent if there's going to be an significant delay, as a (very) few people do fall out about that.
Either player can set up the game - you just have to choose your side as well as the agreed scenario - europe '39 is best. Make sure diplo is off -it should be and PM your oppo with the p/word

Then just enjoy crushing your opponent's forces, and him psychologically with trash talk if you are both OK with that sort of thing. You can write using the 'message' icon which is co-located with reports.

GL to both of you and may the sneakier man win.

web exchange

(in reply to Pfand)
Post #: 15
RE: when is it time for MP?? - 7/25/2020 5:16:38 PM   
kennonlightfoot

Probably the one thing that makes the transition to opponent play so difficult is the lack of detail documentation on how the game works. The manual tells you how to click and gives an overview of what is going on but most of the details of how things work is buried in posts on these forums. So far the game doesn't have a large enough audience for someone to put out a Wiki on it. Most of the tiny details that get your plans destroyed I have found out about when someone does it to me. Like invasions on the Caspian Sea.

I still haven't found out why as Allies my ships can't touch Axis subs or surface ships but when playing the Axis they are routinely wiped out. Am I doing something wrong or is my Navy cursed?

Post #: 16
RE: when is it time for MP?? - 7/25/2020 5:40:35 PM   
sillyflower

see the thread on raider mode for ships

web exchange

Post #: 17
RE: when is it time for MP?? - 7/26/2020 1:33:12 AM   
Pfand

Thanks much, sillyflower!

boldairade, I've sent you a PM with further details and questions. Looking forward to our game, I imagine we will both learn a ton.

Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> when is it time for MP?? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI