Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Carrier tactical strike question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Tech Support >> Carrier tactical strike question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Carrier tactical strike question - 7/26/2020 4:44:26 PM   
swdw

Score: 0
Why are carrier tactical strikes against land units basically useless?

They had dive bombers, torpedo planes as level bombers, and in later years, the Hellcats and Corsairs were also used for close air support.

I've hit a land unit with as many as 6 carrier airstrikes in a row (not in a town), and had it lose 0 strength points. All carriers were set to naval / tactical mode as the local fighters had been eliminated, and they had an aircraft value between 8 and 10. Land unit started with an entrenchment value of 2 and had an anti aircraft strength of 1. Naval weaponry was at 2. Fighter level was 3. Happened fairly frequently. I've had to pull tactical and medium bombers from the European theater, and change the overall strategy because of this.

This was not needed during WWII as the carrier air groups were as, if not more effective than a land based tactical air group with the same number of aircraft attacking.
Post #: 1
RE: Carrier tactical strike question - 7/29/2020 2:17:56 AM   
Torplexed

Score: 0
Interesting. A few weeks ago there was a thread in the SC2 War in Europe forum complaining about how overpowered carrier air power is, especially at the beginning of the game and how ineffectual it becomes towards the end.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4825251

(in reply to swdw)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Tech Support >> Carrier tactical strike question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI