Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

World War Z, a situation, not an AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> AAR >> World War Z, a situation, not an AAR Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
World War Z, a situation, not an AAR - 7/20/2020 4:48:06 PM   
jwarrenw13

In my latest full game, Medusa planet, beginner level, turn 120, playing with the beta rules, I managed somewhat deliberately to create a huge two-front faceoff with the one remaining superpower that is about to kick off, and just thought I would show it to you as an example of situations that can occur.

I was brought to this position when I conquered the third major power and then a minor power that had become almost major power size, and then a whole host a spiders and crustaceans and the such.

In the end I made a conscious decision to mop up all the alien biology zones and not confront the remaining major power. I wanted to prolong the game and get further along in research and development than I had in past games. That worked well and nearly led to a win on points. I was above 50 and was leading the other power by 23 points, scooping up the last of the alien zones and somewhat disappointed that the other power was not taking action to keep from losing, though I had paid blackmail money several times to keep them peaceful.

Then suddenly the other power made a couple of major offensives into alien controlled zones to keep me from winning on points, knocking the point differential down to 20 points. That is where it stands now.

Score

Dystopia 60.2
Hornsekt 39.6

I was actually glad to see Hornsekt finally take action and wonder if Vic put something in the game to trigger that action if a major power is about to lose on points, or if it was a coincidence. You can see the cluster of units on the bottom right of the map where Hornsekt just finished an offensive in the last alien controlled area, leaving only one alien holdout on a snowy mountaintop.

So now I am arranging my forces for a two front world spanning war against Hornsekt. My plan is to win by attacking east toward Geopeak and west toward Errisnow, which are the closest zone cities. Capturing either should likely give me a win.

Looking at our forces, I am outnumbered by Hornsekt but have an advantage in mobile and armored forces. I hope to win by rapid movement and encirclements. It should be interesting. I plan one more turn of preparation and then the offensive.

TOTAL FORCES
Hornsekt-183K
Dystopia-130K

TANKS
D-1620
H-840

MOTORIZED
D-2160
H-180

GUNS - this one concerns me
D-100
H-1780

< Message edited by jwarrenw13 -- 7/20/2020 9:14:18 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: World War Z, a situation, not an AAR - 7/29/2020 10:39:53 AM   
Galahad78

Nice! Eager to see how it develops. Never got so far in my games

(in reply to jwarrenw13)
Post #: 2
RE: World War Z, a situation, not an AAR - 8/6/2020 6:29:35 AM   
KingHalford

That looks interesting, eager to see what happens!

Ben "BATTLEMODE"
www.eXplorminate.co

(in reply to Galahad78)
Post #: 3
RE: World War Z, a situation, not an AAR - 8/6/2020 7:24:57 AM   
Malevolence

Nice! Watchlisted.

Also, save the start savegame and link it after your done here. Might be an interesting scenario to try for others too.

What do your respective governments look like? Why do we care about each of these powers?

My bet is on you. I don't think it's possible to lose this game.

< Message edited by Malevolence -- 8/6/2020 7:28:32 AM >

Nicht kleckern, sondern klotzen!

*Please remember all posts are made by a malevolent, autocratic despot whose rule is marked by unjust severity and arbitrary behavior. Your experiences may vary.

(in reply to KingHalford)
Post #: 4
RE: World War Z, a situation, not an AAR - 8/10/2020 1:29:19 PM   
Malevolence

Any updates?

*Please remember all posts are made by a malevolent, autocratic despot whose rule is marked by unjust severity and arbitrary behavior. Your experiences may vary.

(in reply to Malevolence)
Post #: 5
RE: World War Z, a situation, not an AAR - 8/11/2020 3:37:29 AM   
Daza99

quote:

ORIGINAL: Malevolence

Nice! Watchlisted.

Also, save the start savegame and link it after your done here. Might be an interesting scenario to try for others too.

What do your respective governments look like? Why do we care about each of these powers?

My bet is on you. I don't think it's possible to lose this game.

That is another handy feature i didn't really think about until now, where autosaves are made for every round, making it possible to share a first round save/scenario with others like this.

< Message edited by Daza99 -- 8/11/2020 4:56:26 AM >

Post #: 6
RE: World War Z, a situation, not an AAR - 8/12/2020 5:05:09 AM   
Malevolence

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daza99

quote:

ORIGINAL: Malevolence

That is another handy feature i didn't really think about until now, where autosaves are made for every round, making it possible to share a first round save/scenario with others like this.

I'm still waiting for GodwinW to settle our bet.

(in reply to Daza99)
Post #: 7
RE: World War Z, a situation, not an AAR - 8/12/2020 5:54:18 AM   
jwarrenw13

Oh, wow. Sorry. I didn't see any posts for the next few days and thought there was no interest. Then I got distracted with the process of retiring from my job as a high school English teacher (that awful corruption of English known as American English), the second retirement of my life, and I kind of forgot about this game. Then I got a PM and checked and saw an audience waiting on me to finish and thought oh crap, let me see if I have a save from that game. I had started a new game but fortunately had not deleted the last couple of turns from the Dystopia game. So let me give you a brief summary.

Basically I attacked as shown in my plan above and got a win on points. But to be honest I was in an awkward position, outnumbered and with heavy casualties, and if I had continued the game I would have had to retreat and consolidate in both areas and am not sure I could have held Geopeak and Errissnow. The AI was pressing me hard in a couple of areas. And if the victory rules had been different, I would not have pushed so hard at the end. It would have been fun to continue, or even to play it out differently as a game to the death, but I decided to upate to 1.05 and then got distracted, as I noted.

Anyway, here is the end game situation. And apologies for not noticing people waiting on an update.

Victory for Dystopia!

This shows the heavy casualties I took in my attack.

Overview map

A more detailed look

Post #: 8
RE: World War Z, a situation, not an AAR - 8/12/2020 5:56:45 AM   
jwarrenw13

And I do not have that start game save.

(in reply to jwarrenw13)
Post #: 9
RE: World War Z, a situation, not an AAR - 8/12/2020 7:12:23 AM   
Daza99

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwarrenw13

And I do not have that start game save.

What about the autosaves? the game should autosave each round.

(in reply to jwarrenw13)
Post #: 10
RE: World War Z, a situation, not an AAR - 8/12/2020 2:41:08 PM   
jwarrenw13

Sorry. I'm kind of OCD about such things, and I delete save games once I get a big stack of them. I just kept the last couple of turns. Everything else is a new game I started.

Malevolence, who reminded me to post an update, wanted to know why we should care about these two powers. Well, it was right against wrong. Good against evil. Dystopia was a liberal democracy with an acceptance of capitalism and a belief in the mind. Hornsekt was a theocratic state (meritocracy 65, government 54, heart 70). They were religious fanatics.

I also noted in coming to grips with them that militarily they build a lot of siege infantry and MG infantry, and their MG infantry had the quad machineguns. As I noted earlier, I was taking a lot of casualties in my attacks at the end of the game.

Look at them. They even call their leader Lord.

(in reply to Daza99)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> AAR >> World War Z, a situation, not an AAR Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI