Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Jumping into wargaming.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Jumping into wargaming. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Jumping into wargaming. - 7/29/2020 7:28:18 PM   
Manteuffel2894

Just got War in the East, and still Reading the manual. I want to know what could be a good game path to learn wargames without becoming overhelmed for complexity, what game should i play and master firts, what second and then... I´m a HOI3 Black Ice veteran, i am used to some kind of complexity, but i have read that WITE is far even from a game so complex like HOI3 Bice. In that sense i love a historical acurrate experience, i mean, i love to have a game when the soviets are really weak at the begginig and then a Monster at 1943 and 1944, i would love to experience fighting against hordes and hordes of reds even after a very good barbarossa (Like historically happened). i readed from Reddit that one played recommend to play first Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa before jumping into WITE, i dont know guys what do u think.

PD: i need to say that i am not a multiplayer fan, i prefer to go singleplayer.

< Message edited by Manteuffel2894 -- 7/29/2020 7:40:58 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Jumping into wargaming. - 7/29/2020 7:36:14 PM   
thedoctorking

There is an enormous amount of complexity in this game, no doubt. I am used to playing complex wargames - Advanced Squad Leader, World in Flames, and on the computer HOI and other Paradox titles. This game took me about a year and a thousand hours or so of play to feel like I had respectable skills, and I still get beaten regularly by folks who are more experienced. There's always something new.

The best way to start is to go through this forum looking at AAR's and player guides. Once you master the basic mechanics, get somebody to play you PBEM and explain what they are doing. Best way is to share passwords so you can look at both sides.

That said, the level of historical immersion is unparalleled. You really feel like you are sitting at the big desk at STAVKA or OKH, doing your best to implement the fearless leader's commands. Sometimes you find yourself looking over your shoulder for the NKVD/Gestapo guys to come get you when you make a bad call...

(in reply to Manteuffel2894)
Post #: 2
RE: Jumping into wargaming. - 7/29/2020 7:59:56 PM   
GloriousRuse

As an aside, given WitE2 is in the works and supposedly uses many of the items you find with WitW, you may want to start there. Also, WITW is significantly smaller in scale and allows you to learn your way into it as opposed to potentially crapping out on a 200 turn game because you didn’t know something on turn 8.

You presumably know how to shuffle counters. That’s not the part that adds the complexity. It’s the logistics, the command relationships, the air management, the support units...those add the complexity.

(in reply to thedoctorking)
Post #: 3
RE: Jumping into wargaming. - 7/29/2020 8:47:22 PM   
Hanny

quote:

ORIGINAL: Manteuffel2894

Just got War in the East, and still Reading the manual. I want to know what could be a good game path to learn wargames without becoming overhelmed for complexity, what game should i play and master firts, what second and then... I´m a HOI3 Black Ice veteran, i am used to some kind of complexity, but i have read that WITE is far even from a game so complex like HOI3 Bice. In that sense i love a historical acurrate experience, i mean, i love to have a game when the soviets are really weak at the begginig and then a Monster at 1943 and 1944, i would love to experience fighting against hordes and hordes of reds even after a very good barbarossa (Like historically happened). i readed from Reddit that one played recommend to play first Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa before jumping into WITE, i dont know guys what do u think.

PD: i need to say that i am not a multiplayer fan, i prefer to go singleplayer.

System information overload can easily happen to you if you worry about all the detail, so my advice is to play by intuition, and learn a lot about one thing at a time, start with ground operations, then a rough pass on the economy, as it effects how you fight after all, and leave air till last, get a feel for how/why leaders effect outcomes, why is x allocated to many units to operate effectively?, and how to change that, how terrain influences combat outcomes, how control of hexes makes movement (mps) cost in terms of mps spent cheaper, so work out how to change control of the battle space economically/easier, why do support units matter and how to get them where you want them.

Practice your German first turn v the AI a lot, before going to deep in number of turns played, there are a number of good lets play vids to watch as well, example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-AhPFjzMf0&list=PLbSx_b5pOYvFwl7muMSs9mUaalcfjqZQf

Dont forget to look at the map mod, it enhances the base map.

http://thestrategygamer.com/2017/01/31/war-in-the-east-map-mods/

< Message edited by Hanny -- 7/29/2020 9:06:36 PM >

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Post #: 4
RE: Jumping into wargaming. - 7/29/2020 9:16:15 PM   
Kilo59

Road to Leningrad is a good scenario to start with as a beginner. Not too many units, not too many turns and demonstrates some of the basic game mechanics.

Some good AAR's on the scenario too. https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4773226

(in reply to Hanny)
Post #: 5
RE: Jumping into wargaming. - 7/30/2020 12:14:34 AM   
CapAndGown

If you have read the manual, great. But don't stress remembering everything. I haven't read the full manual yet. Just start by moving units and attacking. Read those sections. See what happens. Then delve in deeper to an area, like supply, or command structure, etc.

I can't say that having other wargame experience necessarily helps, since each is its own thing. There are some concepts that are common, like Zone of Control, and so forth. But each game will have its own rules you have to learn.

(in reply to Kilo59)
Post #: 6
RE: Jumping into wargaming. - 7/30/2020 12:16:49 AM   
56ajax

Start with a small scenario and learn fire and movement and command. Learn how to surround and isolate your opponent. Then how to keep or raise morale and experience. If you are planning to get WiTE2 which is getting closer don't bother with the air war.

Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne

(in reply to Kilo59)
Post #: 7
RE: Jumping into wargaming. - 7/31/2020 3:36:10 PM   
sil01

Ou!
When you're ready, invite me to play and you will have a complete picture of the Red Hordes right in 1942.
43-44 you won't have to wait.
Always at your service.

Post #: 8
RE: Jumping into wargaming. - 7/31/2020 4:43:03 PM   
Hanny

quote:

ORIGINAL: thedoctorking
I am used to playing complex wargames - Advanced Squad Leader, World in Flames, and on the computer HOI and other Paradox titles.metimes you find yourself looking over your shoulder for the NKVD/Gestapo guys to come get you when you make a bad call...

Blast from the past, remember when SL first came out and i ended up with ASL, (both excellent tactical games, when monster games were all the rage TSS had me fighting G/Burg wit a numerical strength counter to go with every Regiment or Btty, which could have been pinned or routed, another counter on top, with or without a leader, yet another counter, and me with my big fingers an all! ) before moving away from board games to focus on computer games, have you seen micropose Second front? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofE6yR0pazE&feature=youtu.be a rather nice computer version of SL.

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

(in reply to thedoctorking)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Jumping into wargaming. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI