Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Naval mod - suicidal behaviour

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> MODS and Scenarios >> Naval mod - suicidal behaviour Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Naval mod - suicidal behaviour - 7/30/2020 7:35:48 PM   
PongoDeMer

Playing British, with the World at War Naval mod selected, I have just had a damaged Battleship taskforce retreat away from nearby friendly ports, almost all the way to Taranto where it collided with an Italian Battleship taskforce which sank it with all hands. This struck me as being highly unrealistic. Has anybody else experienced anything like this?

I have now deleted all my Naval mod saves and I am starting the campaign again with the bog standard version of the game.

Pongo de Mer.
Post #: 1
RE: Naval mod - suicidal behaviour - 7/31/2020 3:03:59 AM   
seydlitz22513

The problem is with the standard game not with any mod. This behaviour happens all the time with the Naval AI where badly damaged ships sail away from home ports and safety and go on an extremely stupid suicide mission in the opposite direction straight towards the enemy.

(in reply to PongoDeMer)
Post #: 2
RE: Naval mod - suicidal behaviour - 8/8/2020 8:51:43 PM   
ThunderLizard11

Yes - have reported this as well a long time ago.

(in reply to seydlitz22513)
Post #: 3
RE: Naval mod - suicidal behaviour - 8/9/2020 3:02:49 PM   
Elessar2

The naval AI is in serious need of an overhaul; over the lifespan of the series the land AI has been given the vast bulk of attention from the devs, which to a certain extent makes some sense (esp. since we never had a Pacific Theatre until about a decade ago). And before someone says it, a few solidly coded core AI routines are worth a dozen+ AI scripts.

The main issue is that what works on land doesn't work on the water, and that is mostly because sea combat is generally much more bloody. As the Russians you can probably afford to keep moving your new builds towards the front, for delaying purposes if nothing else, even if the bulk of them get killed, since they are relatively easily & quickly replaced. Do that with the core of your fleet against a superior foe and you (the country in question at least) just lost the game.

Just one suggestion, and I'll shut up; offensive FLEET scripts probably would need to be hooked into the enemy unit reports so that the AI "understands" that the enemy fleet is still stronger, and thus will delay any offensives/invasions.

(in reply to ThunderLizard11)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> MODS and Scenarios >> Naval mod - suicidal behaviour Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI