Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Yamato Wreck Images

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Yamato Wreck Images Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Yamato Wreck Images - 7/30/2003 12:04:21 PM   
pry

Came across this by accident. Several images of the Yamato wreck taken in 1999. I don't know if anyone is interested but these are the 1st images of the wreck I have ever seen.

http://www.warship.get.net.pl/Japonia/Battleships/1941_Yamato_class/Wreck/_Yamato_wreck_02.html
Post #: 1
- 7/31/2003 3:25:01 AM   
Snigbert

Cool pictures, thanks.

"Money doesnt talk, it swears. Obscenities, who really cares?" -Bob Dylan

"Habit is the balast that chains a dog to it's vomit." -Samuel Becket

"He has weapons of mass destruction- the world's deadliest weapons- which pose a direct threat to the

(in reply to pry)
Post #: 2
- 7/31/2003 3:41:39 AM   
Ron Saueracker

Saw them a while back. Quite the devastation. I'm still looking for an overall view or line drawing of the wreck of HMS Hood.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to pry)
Post #: 3
!! - 7/31/2003 4:11:09 AM   
mariovalleemtl

Many thanks!

mv

(in reply to pry)
Post #: 4
- 7/31/2003 4:46:09 AM   
jcjordan

Cool, didn't know it had been found & mapped as I thought it sunk in real deep waters of the Pacific.

(in reply to pry)
Post #: 5
- 7/31/2003 7:57:54 AM   
pry

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ron Saueracker
[B]Saw them a while back. Quite the devastation. I'm still looking for an overall view or line drawing of the wreck of HMS Hood. [/B][/QUOTE]

Speaking of total devestation... The Hood is in thousands of little chunks spread out over a large swath of the ocean floor I doubt creating a map or Diorama would be possible. There are some great pictures of the Hood wreck here

http://hmshood.com/hoodtoday/2001expedition/hood/index.html

at the bottom there are several links to the images.

(in reply to pry)
Post #: 6
- 7/31/2003 8:31:11 PM   
Genda

Thanks for the great posts!

(in reply to pry)
Post #: 7
!!! - 8/2/2003 10:57:56 PM   
mariovalleemtl

I would love to see the Shinano, the bigest CV of the war.

mario

Attachment (1)

(in reply to pry)
Post #: 8
- 8/3/2003 8:33:14 AM   
Nikademus

i want Mr Ballard to go back to Midway and make another attempt to find the rest of the carriers involved. The images of Yorktown were stunning and the one photo of a piece of wreckage from the Kaga located at Combinedfleet.com are tantilizing.

It'd be very cool to see those other four carriers......and after that the wreck of the Mikuma.

(in reply to pry)
Post #: 9
- 8/3/2003 10:03:06 AM   
pry

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nikademus
[B]i want Mr Ballard to go back to Midway and make another attempt to find the rest of the carriers involved. The images of Yorktown were stunning and the one photo of a piece of wreckage from the Kaga located at Combinedfleet.com are tantilizing.

It'd be very cool to see those other four carriers......and after that the wreck of the Mikuma. [/B][/QUOTE]

Add Lexington, Indianapolis, Juneau, Musashi and Wahoo to my list for Dr. Ballard

(in reply to pry)
Post #: 10
- 8/4/2003 12:58:31 PM   
madflava13

I agree, but no one knows where the Wahoo is, and the Lady Lex is in really really deep water, so it's probably unlikely...

"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."

(in reply to pry)
Post #: 11
Re: Yamato Wreck Images - 8/4/2003 4:23:18 PM   
Spearhead

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pry
[B]Came across this by accident. Several images of the Yamato wreck taken in 1999. I don't know if anyone is interested but these are the 1st images of the wreck I have ever seen.

http://www.warship.get.net.pl/Japonia/Battleships/1941_Yamato_class/Wreck/_Yamato_wreck_02.html [/B][/QUOTE]

There was lately a topic in one magazine about Yamato and its destruction-in detail.Pretty cool story and pics and there was briefly mentioned other Japanese biggest battleships and that carrier too.As the story tells the Yamato took in several torpedoes from sub whose name i really cant recall and slowly sank till its main caliber ammo mostly blew up and then followed the secondary ammo for AA and smaller caliber guns and this teared Yamato apart and it went down fast and painfully with over 3000 men.This is as much as i remember from this topic,there may be some mistakes but in general it should be correct.

Man,his woman and his rifle make up the perfect trio for making love and making war.

(in reply to pry)
Post #: 12
Sub??? - 8/4/2003 7:48:48 PM   
fcooke

Yamato was sunk by CV based air attack, not a sub. She was torpedoed earlier in the war by a US sub, but survived.

(in reply to pry)
Post #: 13
torpedos - 8/4/2003 8:56:13 PM   
mogami

Hi, Shinano was sank by a sub. I can't recall if it was Yamato or Musashi that took 40 bomb hits and over a dozen torpedos before sinking. (and they say the damage control parties were not that well trained. A USN crew might have kept the ship afloat even after all the damage)

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to pry)
Post #: 14
Re: Sub??? - 8/4/2003 9:22:52 PM   
Spearhead

[QUOTE]Originally posted by fcooke
[B]Yamato was sunk by CV based air attack, not a sub. She was torpedoed earlier in the war by a US sub, but survived. [/B][/QUOTE]

Very possible.Asi said i read the topic long time ago and couldnr remember all the stuff.There were some text about other big battleships too and maybe is changed the names accidentally.Besides,who knows all the weird japs names anyway ;)

Man,his woman and his rifle make up the perfect trio for making love and making war.

(in reply to pry)
Post #: 15
- 8/4/2003 11:30:02 PM   
mdiehl

[QUOTE]There was lately a topic in one magazine about Yamato and its destruction-in detail.Pretty cool story and pics and there was briefly mentioned other Japanese biggest battleships and that carrier too.As the story tells the Yamato took in several torpedoes from sub whose name i really cant recall and slowly sank till its main caliber ammo mostly blew up and then followed the secondary ammo for AA and smaller caliber guns and this teared Yamato apart and it went down fast and painfully with over 3000 men.This is as much as i remember from this topic,there may be some mistakes but in general it should be correct.[/QUOTE]

Yamato's demise is documented in detail viewable at [url]www.combinedfleet.com.[/url] Click on the operational history for BBs and the Yamato.

Yamato's exact cause of death is unknown. She would not, however, have been savable even if a USN crew had been aboard. The second bomb to hit Yamato, a 1000 pounder, set a fire in her secondary magazine aft and destroyed the water mains in that and adjacent compartments. The 2ndary mag fire fire may eventually have detonated the main magazine, but the explosion may have been caused by some other source.

Yamato seems not to have been especially invulnerable to air or torpedo atttack. The account of her demise is similar to those of Bismarck and Prince of Wales. Lots or pummeling and eventual loss. In Yamato's case, the whole thing took about two hours.

[QUOTE]1232: A lookout spots American planes 25 degrees to port, elevation 8, range 4,375 yards, moving to port. This is the first wave of 280 aircraft .....

1423: Sunk: The YAMATO's No. 1 magazine explodes and sends up a cloud of smoke seen 100 miles away. She slips under followed by an underwater explosion. The YAMATO sinks at 30-22 N, 128-04 E.[/QUOTE]

Prince of Wales took ten torpedoes. Repulse 12. Yamato, 12, Musashi, 19. Pretty much consistent with the differences in displacement between the bunch, although the Repulse seems to compair favorably with all of them given the effort given to sink a ship of such comparatively small displacement. OTOH, maybe all that the demise of these ships prove is that with total air supremacy, during the interval between the delivery of a mortal wound and the final plunge, a whole lot more ordnance can get dropped.

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?

(in reply to pry)
Post #: 16
- 8/4/2003 11:43:55 PM   
mdiehl

I'd like to see underwater picks of Asiatic fleet. Especially [I]Houston[/I] and [I]Pillsbury[/I]. I doubt that IJN records give much detail on [I]Pillsbury's[/I] position when sunk, but her crew deserve an on site memorial.

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

(in reply to pry)
Post #: 17
Re: Re: Yamato Wreck Images - 8/5/2003 12:23:31 AM   
Nikademus

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Spearhead
[B]There was lately a topic in one magazine about Yamato and its destruction-in detail.Pretty cool story and pics and there was briefly mentioned other Japanese biggest battleships and that carrier too.As the story tells the Yamato took in several torpedoes from sub whose name i really cant recall and slowly sank till its main caliber ammo mostly blew up and then followed the secondary ammo for AA and smaller caliber guns and this teared Yamato apart and it went down fast and painfully with over 3000 men.This is as much as i remember from this topic,there may be some mistakes but in general it should be correct. [/B][/QUOTE]

Hi Spearhead.

Go here for more details.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30880&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

Yamato was killed more efficienty by the US airmen after their experiences with her sister Musashi which absorbed incredible punishment. So with Yamato they strove to place the majority of the torpedo hits to one side.

(in reply to pry)
Post #: 18
- 8/5/2003 12:50:16 AM   
showboat1

Underwater wreck exploration is such a wonderful exercise. The photos of the Yorktown just take my breath away. Anyone seen the photos of all the Bikini Atoll ships that were sunk? The Saratoga's in a particularly good spot as you can dive the wreck using scuba gear.

I too would love for Ballard to return to Midway and find the remaining ships lost there. By the way, does anyone know if he found any wreckage of the Hammann lying near the Yorktown.

SF3C B. B. New USS North Carolina BB-55 - Permission is granted to go ashore for the last shore leave. (1926-2003)

(in reply to pry)
Post #: 19
- 8/5/2003 1:01:17 AM   
Nikademus

i would love to go to Bikini some day and scuba the wreck of the Saratoga....i've seen photos and descriptions. Heh....a little wary of all that live oridinace still sitting on her hanger deck. Its kind of amazing in this age of "safety first" memorial warships that such wrecks are so open.

Then again, there isn't the same liability issue if someone accidently pokes a fused bomb on an unmaintained sunken warship and blows himself to the surface a tad bit more quickly then the scuba manual instructions recommend

:D

(in reply to pry)
Post #: 20
Re: torpedos - 8/7/2003 2:26:55 PM   
Matt Erickson

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mogami
[B]Hi, Shinano was sank by a sub. I can't recall if it was Yamato or Musashi that took 40 bomb hits and over a dozen torpedos before sinking. (and they say the damage control parties were not that well trained. A USN crew might have kept the ship afloat even after all the damage) [/B][/QUOTE] Hi If remeber the book "decision at leyte" correctly the mushashi took an enourmous ammount of damage so much so her cpatain had her afloat with "water washing over the deck" no more counter flooding was possible, but was affraid to turn her toward the beach because he was affraid she would capsise,I have'nt read that book since high school many many years ago but that part stood out very vividly the captian seemed very capable indeed.

(in reply to pry)
Post #: 21
- 8/7/2003 2:30:32 PM   
Matt Erickson

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nikademus
[B]i would love to go to Bikini some day and scuba the wreck of the Saratoga....i've seen photos and descriptions. Heh....a little wary of all that live oridinace still sitting on her hanger deck. Its kind of amazing in this age of "safety first" memorial warships that such wrecks are so open.

Then again, there isn't the same liability issue if someone accidently pokes a fused bomb on an unmaintained sunken warship and blows himself to the surface a tad bit more quickly then the scuba manual instructions recommend

:D [/B][/QUOTE] don't forget the prinz eugen hero of the battle with the hood her hull still breathes air! talk about unsinkable!

(in reply to pry)
Post #: 22
Re: Houston - 8/7/2003 7:43:14 PM   
Genda

It is my honor to take care of 2 Houston survivors at our VA hosp
and one of them is the heart of the Houston Survivors group.

He tells me the Houston is in fairly shallow water. The outline of the hull can be seen from the surface in calm seas. The ship is the subject of souvenir hunters from Indonesia because of it is so easy to dive to. Items being removed and sold off include items up to and including the 5" deck guns in size.

Obviously the remaining Houston survivors are outraged, but unable to stop this practice.

Genda

(in reply to pry)
Post #: 23
- 8/7/2003 10:09:03 PM   
mdiehl

I am sorry to hear that about [I]Houston.[/I] If it is any consolation, the looters can rip her to shreds but they'll never get near her heart.

(in reply to pry)
Post #: 24
- 8/7/2003 10:11:31 PM   
mdiehl

People focus on the wrong things. Musashi and Yamato did not weather an unusual amount of damage for a BB, especially considering their displacement, and much of the damage that they sustained was substantial overkill. Like the [I]Titanic[/I], anything with sufficient displacement will float for a while even if the vessel is doomed from the first hit.

(in reply to pry)
Post #: 25
- 8/8/2003 9:57:22 PM   
dwesolick

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mdiehl
[B]I am sorry to hear that about [I]Houston.[/I] If it is any consolation, the looters can rip her to shreds but they'll never get near her heart. [/B][/QUOTE]

I was born and raised in Houston, TX. I visited the (BB) USS Texas many times. The bell of the USS Houston was retrieved by divers many years ago (60s or 70s, I think) and is on display aboard the Texas.

They say a ship's soul resides in its bell. If so, the Houston's soul is perfectly safe.

"The Navy has a moth-eaten tradition that the captain who loses his ship is disgraced. What do they have all those ships for, if not to hurl them at the enemy?" --Douglas MacArthur

(in reply to pry)
Post #: 26
- 8/8/2003 11:08:11 PM   
TIMJOT

How about the Perth? It must be close by the Houston and in shallow water as well.

The Pillsbury will probably never be found, likewise the DeRyuter, Java and Exeter. The Java sea is just too big and deep

I wonder why the Woods Hole crew never went to Iron bottom sound. Its deep, but all the ships should be clustered around a relatively small area.

(in reply to pry)
Post #: 27
- 8/8/2003 11:53:31 PM   
dwesolick

Hi Timjot,

Bob Ballard and his crew went to Guadalcanal a few years back. I got the resulting book ("The Lost Ships of Guadalcanal") for about $15 (mint, used...abebooks.com).

The book is chock full of amazing photographs of most of the famous (and some not so) ships that fought around Guadalcanal.

A short, icomplete list includes: HMAS Canberra, USS Quincy, USS Atlanta, Kirishima (sound familiar Sniggy?:p ), Ayanami, and many others.

I believe there is also a National Geographic video concerning the above. I know there is one for Midway (I have it:) ).

"The Navy has a moth-eaten tradition that the captain who loses his ship is disgraced. What do they have all those ships for, if not to hurl them at the enemy?" --Douglas MacArthur

(in reply to pry)
Post #: 28
- 8/9/2003 12:25:10 AM   
TIMJOT

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dwesolick
[B]Hi Timjot,

Bob Ballard and his crew went to Guadalcanal a few years back. I got the resulting book ("The Lost Ships of Guadalcanal") for about $15 (mint, used...abebooks.com).

The book is chock full of amazing photographs of most of the famous (and some not so) ships that fought around Guadalcanal.

A short, icomplete list includes: HMAS Canberra, USS Quincy, USS Atlanta, Kirishima (sound familiar Sniggy?:p ), Ayanami, and many others.

I believe there is also a National Geographic video concerning the above. I know there is one for Midway (I have it:) ). [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks dwesolick,

I didnt realize Ballard had gone to GD. I will have to look up the book. I did see the Midway NatGeo Doc. The Yorktown pics were great too bad they couldnt find any of the IJN CVs though.

(in reply to pry)
Post #: 29
- 8/13/2003 5:18:49 AM   
Matt Erickson

Hi I rememberr many years ago a TV program was produced that focused on the ships sunk in an around thew south pacific I can't for the life of me remeber what the name of it was,alot of footage was focused on bikini anyone know the name of the show? produced an shown around 1976 or 77...cheers.

(in reply to pry)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Yamato Wreck Images Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI