Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

random thoughts while playing

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> random thoughts while playing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
random thoughts while playing - 6/23/2020 5:53:26 PM   
eddyvegas

Scavenging material should have the same readout at the bottom right as any other harvested material. If you click on a metal deposit you get a nice bar at the bottom right with the mining difficulty and the amount. Yet scavenge is relegated to a tiny box with tiny hard to read text.

When in the Management screen, a second click on a selected tab should close the screen and go back to the map. I don't know how many times I've done this, thinking it would close the screen, but it doesn't. It should.

I would kill for a custom pointer that changed shape and color depending on which mode you were in. Move in white, build road a tiny bulldozer, traffic lights a, er, tiny traffic light, etc etc. Something where there would be no mistaking what mode you were in. Again, about 8% of my clicks are backing out of a mode I didn't know I was in.

More as I think of it while playing.
Post #: 1
RE: random thoughts while playing - 6/24/2020 1:27:14 PM   
eddyvegas

Ctrl-click units in the hex contents display, bottom left, to select several units at the same time. You have 5 units that move at the same speed, but a 6th unit is much slower. Ctrl-click the 5 units. Boom, Group Move suddenly becomes useful.

(in reply to eddyvegas)
Post #: 2
RE: random thoughts while playing - 6/24/2020 5:32:12 PM   
Munashe

I agree that we need better move controls. For example, a group strategic move. It's tedious to click back and forth so many times when moving around OHQs. It makes me not want to use strategic move even when there's no other reason not to. If there's already some way to strategic group move, and I just haven't found it, I'd like to hear it. I'd like to see a "goto asset" option in the asset management screen. So I can do something to instantly jump to that asset on the main game map.

(in reply to eddyvegas)
Post #: 3
RE: random thoughts while playing - 6/26/2020 7:28:58 AM   
eddyvegas

One hotkey that activates Traffic Light mode, and hides all your units, all with one touch. Same goes for Build Road.

(in reply to Munashe)
Post #: 4
RE: random thoughts while playing - 6/26/2020 12:13:52 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: eddyvegas

One hotkey that activates Traffic Light mode, and hides all your units, all with one touch. Same goes for Build Road.

Already in:
"T", "1" and "R" respectively.

(in reply to eddyvegas)
Post #: 5
RE: random thoughts while playing - 6/26/2020 12:32:42 PM   
eddyvegas

That is 2 touches. I said 1 touch.

< Message edited by eddyvegas -- 6/26/2020 12:33:18 PM >

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 6
RE: random thoughts while playing - 6/26/2020 2:04:52 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: eddyvegas

That is 2 touches. I said 1 touch.

Are you still trying to manage your Logistics Via Trafficsigns and Road Building? Because otehrwise I can not think why it would come up that often.

Just upgrade the Truck Stations already!

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 6/26/2020 2:05:13 PM >

(in reply to eddyvegas)
Post #: 7
RE: random thoughts while playing - 7/2/2020 7:06:21 AM   
eddyvegas

The game should remember the last screen position you had when you End Turn. I am usually fighting a war and I want to go back there right away. Quite often that is far away from my home base. More screen adjusting. Every turn. Please do this.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 8
RE: random thoughts while playing - 7/2/2020 9:55:50 AM   
GodwinW

Yes of course he's using traffic signs. Not using them would be quite inefficient. It's wrong advice you're giving him, to ignore the whole traffic sign side of logistics.
Besides you're criticizing building roads?
That's just weird.

< Message edited by GodwinW -- 7/2/2020 9:56:51 AM >

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 9
RE: random thoughts while playing - 7/2/2020 2:56:16 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: GodwinW

Yes of course he's using traffic signs. Not using them would be quite inefficient. It's wrong advice you're giving him, to ignore the whole traffic sign side of logistics.
Besides you're criticizing building roads?
That's just weird.

You know that there is room between "I make a Maze of traffic signs" and "I never use traffic signs", right?

And that I am not anywhere close to the extreme end you put me on, right?

I do not need that interface anywhere remotely often enough, that 1 extra press could mater.

(in reply to GodwinW)
Post #: 10
RE: random thoughts while playing - 7/2/2020 3:17:34 PM   
GodwinW

quote:

ORIGINAL: zgrssd

You know that

I am not anywhere close to the extreme end you put me on, right?

No I didn't, your statement did not make that clear to me. That's why I was very surprised by it.

quote:

ORIGINAL: zgrssd

I do not need that interface anywhere remotely often enough, that 1 extra press could mater.

I feel the same way.

< Message edited by GodwinW -- 7/2/2020 3:18:01 PM >

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 11
RE: random thoughts while playing - 7/5/2020 4:12:07 PM   
eddyvegas

A second press on the S key should send you back to whatever mode you were in before (probably Move Mode). It is more efficient to use fuel first, then supply. So, you're already in Move Mode, move guy, hit S, use supply, hit S again, move dude etc etc. This way you never move your hand or search for the M key.

(in reply to GodwinW)
Post #: 12
RE: random thoughts while playing - 7/10/2020 10:18:38 AM   
eddyvegas

Hey! Why don't you tell me when a new artifact appears? That's kind of a big deal! I'd say it deserves a Vid, along with a notice during turn start that stuff has finished building that turn. Why hide this not only vital info, but hide this positive feedback that makes the player feel like he is advancing, discovering, progressing?

(in reply to eddyvegas)
Post #: 13
RE: random thoughts while playing - 7/17/2020 6:27:29 AM   
eddyvegas

Clicking 'No Changes' when setting percentages for a Decision should NOT require a confirmation click. Just go to the next one, please.

(in reply to eddyvegas)
Post #: 14
RE: random thoughts while playing - 7/24/2020 7:54:46 AM   
eddyvegas

A new game, or a loaded game, should start with the side panels already open. (edit) Why would one ever close those panels in the first place? You are gaining a tiny amount of map real estate...for what?

Buying or selling something should automatically update the money readout at the upper left.

< Message edited by eddyvegas -- 7/24/2020 7:57:44 AM >

(in reply to eddyvegas)
Post #: 15
RE: random thoughts while playing - 7/25/2020 10:14:30 AM   
eddyvegas

A -nomovies tag to skip the intro 'video'.

A button on the main menu, 'Continue Current Game'.

(in reply to eddyvegas)
Post #: 16
RE: random thoughts while playing - 7/25/2020 5:45:10 PM   
eddyvegas

When getting strategem cards at the beginning of the turn, the mouseover should spell out exactly what the effect is. I'm afraid just saying 'it's an effect' is not going to cut it.

(edit) OK, info when getting the cards would be very nice, but many cards, even when they are in your deck, still don't say what they do on mouseover. What is a new (Steam) player going to think when he sees that an important part of the game is not explained fully?

< Message edited by eddyvegas -- 7/25/2020 5:52:51 PM >

(in reply to eddyvegas)
Post #: 17
RE: random thoughts while playing - 8/6/2020 6:05:06 PM   
eddyvegas

Support for 5 button mouse. Everyone has one by now.

Middle mouse click-hold to drag the map.

Scroll wheel active in EVERY menu in the game. No need for those "1" "2" "3" buttons. Roll the wheel. Especially onerous when looking for a guy to lay a Strategem on.

Complete redo of the Construct Road screen. White screen covers up map. A radial wheel would do the trick. Elegance.

(in reply to eddyvegas)
Post #: 18
RE: random thoughts while playing - 8/18/2020 8:50:04 AM   
Lailah

A few thoughts from playing:

Profile sucks. I'd originally put this as profile demands suck, and they do, but the actual problem is that profile sucks. IT's super neat conceptually, but it's handled badly mechanically. Bluntly: Give the Supreme Council a trio of linear tech sets that increase profile based on BP investment; one slider on the priorities screen, then a second popup asking you what you're going to focus on (With a stopping point?) It's absurd that the government can't actively shape its basic policy on a national level, only have it arise reactively. And like, the reactive part happening is itself fine! Most of the numbers on them seem legit! But it's absurd that it's all or even most of it. Additionally, the Supreme Council kinda doesn't have much to do once BP production has taken off and the high command is levelled up. This gives it more of a purpose (and is the most sensible place to put it). If you're not gonna give us the ability to actively shape policy, then remove Profile demands. Those are either pure RNG, or by far the most video game-y demands, as either I have repeatable zone events to pour PP into to change it (which feels weird as **** diagetically), or I can't do anything except hope sufficient events come in to alter it, which is annoying and not fun, nor is it an interesting question in the vein of "What would it cost to do this, and do I think it is worth it?"

Relatedly, a Profile-related GUI touch up:

In the Management: Profile screen, when mousing over a regime feat, I would add another section of text. "Happy factions may gift you the following stratagems". Put the card in on the regime feat, like the regular strategems, because there's definitely room for that. I had _no idea_ where my like, zoos, Militia boosters and such, were coming from until I accidentally happened on the strategem encyclopedia. I thought the factions were generating it based on their own profiles, not on my regime feats. It would more easily communicates another cool thing that the system does, that it gives the information about anyway, so it isn't intentionally obscuring it.

Also relatedly, I would seriously drop some of the high numbers in profile shifts for unit feat events. Even taking it as indicative of broader trends (Which diagetically, they never are), it's still super weird to make 8 points of progress towards potentially brutal enforcement of the law, on a 100 point scale, because an NCO happens to be really good at his or her job. Publicly humiliating senior officials in government is usually worth 3-5 points, wtf is a mascot in the 67th Batallion in bumfuck nowhere doing giving 5? Dropping them substantially also gives the benefit that you might have more reasons to think about which game-mechanical boost you want for that particular unit (which feels like why we have the dang events in the first place), because the profile one is just overwhelming in comparison.

The "Aux Profile: Average relationship with your cults" tooltip in the Regime Profile Bar might be the worst tooltip in the game, I think. Really easy to improve though: Just... put the cults' opinions in under the tooltip itself. Bam, now super useful.

I'm not sure by how much, but I would seriously consider nerfing the Relations bonus to most leader positions. Putting stooges into just about every position is way too dang useful compared to taking risks on people who might not adore me. A flat 50% bonus for existing and liking me? And you're not actively undermining me (Potentially, you're even doing what I want to get the people to like my regime, since you have really high happiness, so you're probably from a friendly faction) You need 100 skill + stat to average out to that high. Even starting from the position that relations should be big, this is so big as to be overwhelming to most other concerns. A 20% feels too high from a simulation perspective (granted, from that perspective individuals mattering so much is already annoying me, but putting that to the side...) , but even more than that, a 20% boost still requires 70 stat + skill difference to start to reach average parity on assuming I'm understanding die rolls correctly, and even cap1 stooges do still gain experience and skills. Give me reasons to take risks on skilled characters. As is, there isn't much of one. The exceptions appear to be SHQ and OHQ commanders - I'm honestly not sure what Relation does for an SHQ commander (It's fine if it's nothing beyond being a ward against rebellion tbh!), and for an OHQ commander, like, passive exp helps, but compared to skills? Probably not so much. Those folks probably do not need a nerf. But Governors and directors def. do.

Limit solar panels somehow. Maybe a total number of rural assets per zone??? Maybe backend their manpower efficiency? For my own personal play, I kinda just refuse to place them anywhere but one hex per city just to feel like other things are relevant. I tend to get annoyed at sci fi video games making solar too weak, so I suppose this is just the monkey's paw finally curling there.

If Faction Happiness is based off of anything passive, communicate that in their report. I can't tell one way or the other if it's totally static like regimes or slides up and down like characters, since I'm not monitoring them close enough.

A No Scrolling button for No Changes to Task priority/annual budgets would be useful.

< Message edited by Lailah -- 8/18/2020 9:39:08 AM >

(in reply to eddyvegas)
Post #: 19
RE: random thoughts while playing - 8/18/2020 12:16:23 PM   
Soar_Slitherine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lailah

I'm honestly not sure what Relation does for an SHQ commander (It's fine if it's nothing beyond being a ward against rebellion tbh!), and for an OHQ commander, like, passive exp helps, but compared to skills? Probably not so much.

High Relation gives up to +20 to all of a leader's skill rolls.

(in reply to Lailah)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> random thoughts while playing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI