Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Getting back in the saddle

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Getting back in the saddle Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Getting back in the saddle - 8/8/2020 1:02:35 AM   
ladner

I've been a fan of Gary Grigsby's games for a long time, going back to when he, Joel and others were making titles for SSI, which seemed like the golden age of wargaming. Anyhow, I'm getting back into the saddle regarding WiTP, I realize in some respects I'm barking up the wrong tree since this forum is dedicated to AE, and I only have the older game. I'm giving thought to picking up AE.

The odd thing is that Hearts of Iron IV of all things has rekindled my wargame itch. It was sort of enjoyable up until knocking out the Soviet Union as Germany in 1942 up to the Ural Mountains, attacking through the winter of 1941. The unreality of it made me realize it wasn't my cup of tea. In some respects wish I had saved the money towards AE.

Anyhow and advice on getting started? I'm a glutton for punishment and want to play as Japan. Back when I used to play would play as the Allies, which becomes real easy after a while. Not up for PBEM yet, so any pointers would be for a single player point of view.

I'm taking my sweet, sweet time on turn 2, so much to do. I pulled down Kull's spreadsheet, but since it is AE focused wasn't sure how much was applicable. In general looking for broad brush pointers as a first time Japan player, having to control the economy, with whatever would be applicable to the first title.
Post #: 1
RE: Getting back in the saddle - 8/8/2020 1:16:41 AM   
Shellshock

Hi. I'd seriously consider getting the Admiral's Edition if you could. The original War in the Pacific had so many issues which led to the desire to enlarge and improve it. I'm not sure how many still remember its particulars. It's too bad there isn't a discount for those who owned WITP first.

(in reply to ladner)
Post #: 2
RE: Getting back in the saddle - 8/8/2020 1:45:32 AM   
offenseman

Go ahead and take the plunge. Not only is AE much better but there are some exceptional mods out there. Scenarios, Grand Campaigns, Maps, even improved AI. I doubt you'd be disappointed

Sometimes things said in Nitwit sound very different in English.

(in reply to Shellshock)
Post #: 3
RE: Getting back in the saddle - 8/8/2020 1:59:30 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: offenseman

Go ahead and take the plunge. Not only is AE much better but there are some exceptional mods out there. Scenarios, Grand Campaigns, Maps, even improved AI. I doubt you'd be disappointed

If funds are an issue, Matrix usually offers the game at a steep discount a few times a year, and always at Christmas season.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to offenseman)
Post #: 4
RE: Getting back in the saddle - 8/8/2020 4:02:35 AM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: ladner

I've been a fan of Gary Grigsby's games for a long time, going back to when he, Joel and others were making titles for SSI, which seemed like the golden age of wargaming. Anyhow, I'm getting back into the saddle regarding WiTP, I realize in some respects I'm barking up the wrong tree since this forum is dedicated to AE, and I only have the older game. I'm giving thought to picking up AE.

The odd thing is that Hearts of Iron IV of all things has rekindled my wargame itch. It was sort of enjoyable up until knocking out the Soviet Union as Germany in 1942 up to the Ural Mountains, attacking through the winter of 1941. The unreality of it made me realize it wasn't my cup of tea. In some respects wish I had saved the money towards AE.

Anyhow and advice on getting started? I'm a glutton for punishment and want to play as Japan. Back when I used to play would play as the Allies, which becomes real easy after a while. Not up for PBEM yet, so any pointers would be for a single player point of view.

I'm taking my sweet, sweet time on turn 2, so much to do. I pulled down Kull's spreadsheet, but since it is AE focused wasn't sure how much was applicable. In general looking for broad brush pointers as a first time Japan player, having to control the economy, with whatever would be applicable to the first title.

This is most definitely not the place to seek advice on classical WITP. It's own forum is the right spot for that.

Kull's spreadsheet is most definitely focussed on AE and is of no real value to setting up a turn 2 in classical WITP. The OOB is significantly different, as are the relevant bases. The industrial structure was completely overhauled for AE.

Alfred

(in reply to ladner)
Post #: 5
RE: Getting back in the saddle - 8/8/2020 6:01:45 AM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shellshock

Hi. I'd seriously consider getting the Admiral's Edition if you could. The original War in the Pacific had so many issues which led to the desire to enlarge and improve it. I'm not sure how many still remember its particulars. It's too bad there isn't a discount for those who owned WITP first.

There was back in the day.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Shellshock)
Post #: 6
RE: Getting back in the saddle - 8/8/2020 6:05:54 AM   
rustysi

Not too long ago this puppy was on sale for $8 bucks. Even if you hated it, it would be worth it for that price.

At any rate wait for the next sale and make the jump. This insanity is a whole other animal.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 7
RE: Getting back in the saddle - 8/8/2020 6:06:24 AM   
Shellshock

I just looked in the classic WITP forum. It's not yet in the discontinued game forums, but it looks pretty discontinued in there. Even the crickets have left.

So ladner, if you are a glutton for punishment as you say, than perhaps the Admiral's Edition is for you. As others have suggested you might want to catch one of the holiday sales. Besides, if you really do want to get back in the saddle would you rather do it on a pony or a mechanical bull? Like rustysi said, this insanity is a whole other animal.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Shellshock -- 8/10/2020 5:35:23 AM >

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 8
RE: Getting back in the saddle - 8/8/2020 6:09:43 AM   
Shellshock

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

There was back in the day.

Dang. Really? I must've missed that one.

Oh well. Considering the ratio of dollars spent to hours enjoyed, it still blows away any other game purchase I have ever made.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 9
RE: Getting back in the saddle - 8/8/2020 6:38:07 AM   
rustysi

Yeah, when AE first came out. If you brought it within a certain time after it came out and you had WiTP you got a discount coupon.

(in reply to Shellshock)
Post #: 10
RE: Getting back in the saddle - 8/8/2020 9:03:00 AM   
Torplexed

quote:

I just looked in the classic WITP forum. It's in the discontinued game forums, and it looks pretty discontinued in there. Even the crickets have left.

So ladner, if you are a glutton for punishment as you say, than perhaps the Admiral's Edition is for you. As others have suggested you might want to catch one of the holiday sales. Besides, if you really do want to get back in the saddle would you rather do it on a pony or a mechanical bull? Like rustysi said, this insanity is a whole other animal.

Hmmm. I'll drink to that. In a rowdy bar. With cute cowgirls.

(in reply to Shellshock)
Post #: 11
RE: Getting back in the saddle - 8/8/2020 10:57:52 AM   
ladner

quote:

I just looked in the classic WITP forum. It's in the discontinued game forums, and it looks pretty discontinued in there. Even the crickets have left.

Shellshock appreciate the replies, the classic forum is dead, but that is almost to be expected for a 16 year old game.

(in reply to Shellshock)
Post #: 12
RE: Getting back in the saddle - 8/8/2020 11:03:57 AM   
ladner

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

If funds are an issue, Matrix usually offers the game at a steep discount a few times a year, and always at Christmas season.

My gaming habit is entirely supported by things going on sale, pretty much refuse to purchase an initial release. My income took a hit due to COVID 19, but I can't complain still employed and able to meet obligations.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 13
RE: Getting back in the saddle - 8/8/2020 11:10:43 AM   
ladner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

quote:

This is most definitely not the place to seek advice on classical WITP. It's own forum is the right spot for that.

Kull's spreadsheet is most definitely focussed on AE and is of no real value to setting up a turn 2 in classical WITP. The OOB is significantly different, as are the relevant bases. The industrial structure was completely overhauled for AE.

Alfred

Thanks, I guess. I asked for advice you obliged.

If you haven't been over to WITP classic forum, well it's deader than a doornail. Shellshock said it best, "even the crickets have left".

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 14
RE: Getting back in the saddle - 8/8/2020 11:23:47 AM   
Chris21wen

Me too. Started on the 6 Jul and I've only just reach 1 Jan 42 game time. Took me three weeks to sort the first turn then week and a half to do about ten turns, mainly trying to remember how to play the game. Now I'm flying. It's a big re-learning curve for sure, goodness knows what it's like for a complete novice.

Please note the polite words, not what I was thinking!

(in reply to ladner)
Post #: 15
RE: Getting back in the saddle - 8/8/2020 11:35:35 AM   
Reg

quote:

quote:

Shellshock appreciate the replies, the classic forum is dead, but that is almost to be expected for a 16 year old game.

Hopefully this classic WITP AAR from Cuttlefish will never disappear. You just gotta read it if you haven't already....

Small Ship, Big War - The Voyages of the Hibiki

< Message edited by Reg -- 8/8/2020 10:42:09 PM >

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to ladner)
Post #: 16
RE: Getting back in the saddle - 8/8/2020 1:47:48 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

My gaming habit is entirely supported by things going on sale, pretty much refuse to purchase an initial release. My income took a hit due to COVID 19, but I can't complain still employed and able to meet obligations.

If you are a US military veteran check your state VA as there may be help there.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to ladner)
Post #: 17
RE: Getting back in the saddle - 8/8/2020 5:12:50 PM   
ladner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reg

quote:

quote:

Hopefully this classic WITP AAR from Cuttlefish never disappear. You just gotta read it if you haven't already....

I started to look at the thread you referenced, well written, very well written indeed.

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 18
RE: Getting back in the saddle - 8/8/2020 5:18:50 PM   
Ian R

Does the original WITP work properly on windows 10?

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to ladner)
Post #: 19
RE: Getting back in the saddle - 8/8/2020 7:05:12 PM   
Shellshock

I haven't had classic WitP on my hard drive in years, but I oddly still have map panels. I still arch my eyebrows when I see that long loopy highway that runs from Seattle to Anchorage. Having personally seen the terrain that road supposedly runs over I know that would be quite the engineering feat. I think it was supposed to represent the Alcan highway, but it's in the wrong location.

Legend has it that hairpins and curves in the Alcan highway were designed to help baffle strafing Zeros. It does have those.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 20
RE: Getting back in the saddle - 8/8/2020 7:23:16 PM   
ladner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

Surprisingly yes, I manually added the game to my Steam library, not sure if that is helping with drivers. The only drawback is no screen resizing.

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 21
RE: Getting back in the saddle - 8/8/2020 10:29:23 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

Surprisingly yes, I manually added the game to my Steam library, not sure if that is helping with drivers. The only drawback is no screen resizing.

AFAIK, classic WITP does not use the drivers that help AE work so well with Windows 10. You may get some lagging issues.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to ladner)
Post #: 22
RE: Getting back in the saddle - 8/8/2020 10:54:39 PM   
Reg

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hopefully this classic WITP AAR from Cuttlefish will never disappear. You just gotta read it if you haven't already....

I started to look at the thread you referenced, well written, very well written indeed.

Warning: You'll be hooked....

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to ladner)
Post #: 23
RE: Getting back in the saddle - 8/8/2020 11:39:50 PM   
fcooke

+1 The writing is great. The story is great. You just need to set aside some time to get through it all. But a worthwhile investment.

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 24
RE: Getting back in the saddle - 8/10/2020 3:11:26 AM   
Nami Koshino

quote:

That is quite the interesting game narrative. You find yourself personally cheering for the Hibiki's survival.

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Getting back in the saddle Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI