Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Aegis upgrade timeline

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Aegis upgrade timeline Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Aegis upgrade timeline - 8/9/2020 11:12:04 PM   
thewood1

Does anyone have a "definitive" source for the timeline on Tico and Burke Aegis upgrades? My Janes Fighting Ships reference is from 2011 and was wondering what other people have found that is more recent and up-to-date.

I can go through budget statements from the last few years, but hoping to avoid that.
Post #: 1
RE: Aegis upgrade timeline - 8/10/2020 12:35:03 AM   
DWReese

I actually researched this last year.

As of the end of 2019 (which of course has already occurred), 11 Ticos were supposed to have been refitted with the upgraded AEGIS system. This was believed to be tied to RIM-161 Ballistic Missile (SM-3) System which was (is) to be operational at this time.

I believe that the John Paul Jones was the first ship to be used as a test platform, in early 2017, firing the -161. As I said earlier, since that time, they were supposed to have a total of 11 ships upgraded by the end of 2019.

The info is pretty easy to find, but I don't have it for you at this particular moment. I might be able to locate it for you if no one else offers anything up in the mean time.

Doug

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 2
RE: Aegis upgrade timeline - 8/10/2020 2:37:38 AM   
thewood1

Are you sure those 11 are complete. I read that several cruisers were still in dock in the middle of the upgrade. And that's not really what I'm asking. I am looking which Ticos and Burkes went in for the upgrade and when.

Also, there are have been a series of significant upgrades over the last 20 years. I am not looking for the latest, but the timeline of those upgrades. I know they are in the DoD budgets, which are accessible, but difficult to get through. I was hoping there was a source that consolidated it all. So if its easy, bring it.

< Message edited by thewood1 -- 8/10/2020 2:38:20 AM >

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 3
RE: Aegis upgrade timeline - 8/10/2020 3:47:33 AM   
DWReese

quote:

11 Ticos were supposed to have been refitted with the upgraded AEGIS system

As I said, 11 Ticos were supposed to be refitted. In answer to your question, I'm not sure of anything. That is only what the report said at that time. I only researched the topic because I was interested in the RIM-161 ballistic missile interceptor. Beyond that, I don't know anything else.

The "easy-to-find" info that I was referring to was the research that I had found about the 11 Ticos that were supposed to be refitted. But, that doesn't sound like the data that you were interested in.

Good luck with your quest, and I'm sorry that this info didn't help you out.

Doug

< Message edited by DWReese -- 8/10/2020 3:53:34 AM >

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 4
RE: Aegis upgrade timeline - 8/10/2020 4:09:19 AM   
JFS737

Not sure Definitive... Wiki has some info. I have a spreadsheet based from that with some additional updates... Not really definitive. Let me know if you would like to see it.

Regards,
John

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 5
RE: Aegis upgrade timeline - 8/10/2020 10:39:00 AM   
thewood1

Thanks for the offer. But I'll wait and see if anyone pops in with something. If not, I'll track it down through the budget docs.

(in reply to JFS737)
Post #: 6
RE: Aegis upgrade timeline - 8/10/2020 2:31:09 PM   
TheOttoman

This is literally from today:
https://www.navyrecognition.com/index.php/news/defence-news/2020/august/8833-bae-systems-unit-to-modernize-two-us-navy-arleigh-burke-class-destroyers.html

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 7
RE: Aegis upgrade timeline - 8/10/2020 2:49:56 PM   
TheOttoman

USS Jason Dunham’s (DDG 109) completed DSRA on 9 July.

Also, it's possible that the whole modernization process gets scrapped
https://news.usni.org/2020/03/12/navy-considers-reversing-course-on-arleigh-burke-class-life-extension

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 8
RE: Aegis upgrade timeline - 8/10/2020 9:06:24 PM   
kevinkins

I think this info falls between classified and public (via the budget docs) which makes any info murky at best right now. Do US analysts have access to China / Russian budget documents?

“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to TheOttoman)
Post #: 9
RE: Aegis upgrade timeline - 8/10/2020 9:21:26 PM   
thewood1

Its all in the budget docs. It just takes time to sort through them. You have to compare YoY to see what was committed and what was actually done. There's a good chance its in the fleet disposition sites as well. You can compare budgets to ships going in for refit and have a pretty educated guess at the timeline.

But that is like real work. Just exhausting any resources before I start doing that. Not sure what Russia and China have to do with it.

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 10
RE: Aegis upgrade timeline - 8/10/2020 9:41:02 PM   
kevinkins

Russia and China don't have anything to do with the OP per se. But my question is re: US access to Russian or China's defence budget documents. I don't think they are as public as the US has. This is a concern. So you brought up a good point even if was not the intention of the OP.

“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 11
RE: Aegis upgrade timeline - 8/10/2020 10:53:37 PM   
thewood1

Regardless of the results of my search, found this updated doc useful.

https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/RL/RL33745

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Aegis upgrade timeline Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI