Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[Fixed] Database Viewer Scroll Speed

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [Fixed] Database Viewer Scroll Speed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[Fixed] Database Viewer Scroll Speed - 8/11/2020 7:30:56 PM   
lamboman43

I doubt this is a bug since it has been around since the game launched, but the scroll "speed/distance" when scrolling (with the scroll wheel) the list of aircraft, ships, etc. in the database viewer is just too much. Like this person said in this thread from a year ago:
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4717535
quote:

ORIGINAL: Radiorobot

When using the 'Database viewer' and seemingly only while doing so the scroll bar increments by far too much. Instead of incrementing by 3 or so entries like in the 'Add new unit' window it increments by several dozen entries and in very odd increments at that. For example, if I scroll down from the top of the list by three increments it will always only require two increments to reach back to the top. Going further I found going 4 and 5 down only requires 3 up, 6 and 7 down requires 4 up, so on and so forth.

the database viewer scrolls dozens of entries with each increment used on the scroll wheel. This is especially apparent when scrolling through the weapons section as it is very long and can't be filtered by country. For example, the first weapon entry at the top of the displayed list is the "AK-176MA 76mm HE", and when I scroll down exactly one notch using my scroll wheel, it jumps to the "125kg GPB --Generic" weapon entry. In between those two entries is probably one hundred other entries for weapons.

Similar results occur when looking through the other DB sections, though it seems to be related to the number of entries that are being filtered to you. For example, when scrolling through the section for satellites (with no other filters), it only scrolls a few entries at a time instead of the 100+ entries when you are viewing the weapons section. It should be known that the satellite section of the DB is MUCH smaller than the weapons section, which seems to corroborate with my theory that the scroll speed is based on the number of database entries being filtered to the user.

Basically, what I would like to see instead, is the database only scrolling ~3-5 entries at a time REGARDLESS of the number of entries being presented to the user.

Other notes: I tried to change the scroll speed by specifically changing my mouse settings as well as the settings for mouse behavior in Windows, but that didn't seem to do anything at all. This leads me to believe it is C:MO it self that is "at fault" here. Especially given that the Database Viewer in C:MANO seemed to scroll only a few entries at a time.

If you need more info or clarification like screenshots or even video, I will try to provide it as best as possible. This is a fix that would alleviate my biggest complaint with C:MO and I would litteraly kiss the person that can fix it for me.

< Message edited by apache85 -- 8/14/2020 1:01:29 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Database Viewer Scroll Speed - 8/11/2020 7:42:00 PM   
thewood1

Funny, I was just looking at this over the weekend. I had always assumed it was my mouse and was screwing around with settings. I don't think it was always like that. I think there was a revamp of the database viewer a while ago and it seemed to have started there.

Frankly, that db viewer has always been kind of hinky. Its gotten better over the years, but I have just learned to live with it in my list of priorities. But it would be nice to have act more like a Windows window with smooth scrolling, copy/paste, image pasting, etc. There would be nothing better than to be able to just paste an image or description directly into the viewer.

Overall a low priority and have never bother with even putting it in the feature request thread.

(in reply to lamboman43)
Post #: 2
RE: Database Viewer Scroll Speed - 8/12/2020 2:27:01 AM   
Rory Noonan

Logged for investigation.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 3
RE: Database Viewer Scroll Speed - 8/12/2020 2:59:05 AM   
boogabooga

I just want to add a little weight to the OP that I have trouble with DB scroll as well, and would also appreciate a fix. :)

(in reply to Rory Noonan)
Post #: 4
RE: Database Viewer Scroll Speed - 8/12/2020 3:00:40 AM   
boogabooga

Accidental double post

< Message edited by boogabooga -- 8/12/2020 3:01:03 AM >

(in reply to Rory Noonan)
Post #: 5
RE: Database Viewer Scroll Speed - 8/12/2020 11:50:36 AM   
tylerblakebrandon

I've only noticed an issue for larger groups such as when scrolling through the US units. For some of the smaller nations that still have enough units to scroll through the scroll speed is normal.

(in reply to boogabooga)
Post #: 6
RE: Database Viewer Scroll Speed - 8/12/2020 4:26:51 PM   
lamboman43

quote:

ORIGINAL: thewood1

Funny, I was just looking at this over the weekend. I had always assumed it was my mouse and was screwing around with settings.

That's what I thought for the longest time as well. Eventually, I decided I would do some investigating and play around with my mouse settings and then came to my conclusion. I even went through several .ini and lua files to see if there were any settings that corresponded with scroll speed in the database viewer and weren't able to find any that affected it. I did thoroughly mess up my secondary window size settings though lol

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 7
RE: Database Viewer Scroll Speed - 8/12/2020 8:05:30 PM   
Battelman2

Adding on to this, the scroll speed used to be constant no matter what- but I noticed recently that the scroll speed now depends on how many entries are in the list. i.e., one scroll "unit" moves the list >100 entries when looking at ALL aircraft, but moves the list ~5 entries when looking at aircraft of some small nation with relatively few entries.

(in reply to lamboman43)
Post #: 8
RE: Database Viewer Scroll Speed - 8/13/2020 7:50:24 AM   
michaelm75au

The Database Viewer list box will now move +/- 3 'rows' on the turn of the mouse wheel.

Michael

(in reply to Battelman2)
Post #: 9
RE: Database Viewer Scroll Speed - 8/24/2020 8:38:34 PM   
lamboman43

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm75au

The Database Viewer list box will now move +/- 3 'rows' on the turn of the mouse wheel.

Wait, so I'll actually see this in a coming update? I told you I would kiss the person that got it fixed... so here you go! :*
Or if you're ever in south-east Wyoming or northern Colorado, I can buy you a drink or dinner.

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [Fixed] Database Viewer Scroll Speed Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI