Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Titans of Steel: Warring Suns is a great tactical game!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Titans of Steel: Warring Suns is a great tactical game! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Titans of Steel: Warring Suns is a great tactical game! - 8/4/2003 9:09:02 PM   
Paul Vebber

Sci-Fi or not - if you like "man - to - man" tactical combat this game is just FANTASTIC.

Its learning curve was a little steep to me, but once it "clicks" it becomes second nature.

And the depth of strategy and (not to mention the whole Titan design trade-off "game within the game") keeps you trying "just one more tweak" after your clock gets cleaned.

I have a bad feeling a lot of folks here will dismiss this game as "another kiddee mech robot game". Nope, this is a TACTICAL WARGAMERS DELIGHT!

DON'T let the sci-fi subject matter put you off! The typicall small number of units gives a feel of tension like a western gunfight, and the combat, when it gets intense is almost like a Naval engagment!

PURE GAME DESIGN BRILLIANCE here from Viscous Byte!

DON'T MISS IT just because of its futuristic setting!
Post #: 1
- 8/5/2003 4:35:28 AM   
LarkinVB

Thanks Paul.

The strength of TOS: WS is a tactical combat which did evolve over 5 years of playing, testing and feedback. Weapons, systems, skills, attributes and cost are balanced in a way 'usual' games can't match as they are not played for such a long time.

I'm pretty sure that TOS: WS patches might touch technical issues but will only scratch the game engine which is tested in numerous battles. I do accept that this company is primarly dedicated to historical wargames and therefore I'm very thankfull that we (Vicious Byte) did get the chance by Matrixgames to be released at all.

I really hope and look forward that players buying TOS will recognize the beauty of game design which went into TOS: WS
It was founded by some unknown guy called Ralph Reed who did the first attempt to recreate turn based battletech combat on computer on the amiga computer 10 years ago. Even now players are asking for a 'real' turn based mech computer game which wasn't fullfilled by Mech Commander (I or II) at all.

I do hope players will like TOS: WS for what it is : Deep tactical combat spiced up with deep character development.

(in reply to Paul Vebber)
Post #: 2
- 8/5/2003 9:26:45 AM   
NefariousKoel

I haven't tried the new incarnation yet, but I did try out the older Titans long ago and it reminded me of tabletop Battletech. Interesting. I like to blow shiz up! :D

Post #: 3
Do you have the ballzz ? - 8/6/2003 6:34:21 AM   
Thorgrim

Kiddee game is something that this game surely is not. This is a game for real men. Now, are you a real man? :D

Iceman

Post #: 4
- 8/6/2003 6:40:23 AM   
Fred98

Is it turn based or continous time?

Post #: 5
- 8/6/2003 7:10:18 AM   
Thorgrim

Time based, somewhere in between. Great system, gives a higher sense of realism. Check it out for yourself, with the free downloadable version.

Iceman

Post #: 6
- 8/6/2003 7:21:20 AM   
LarkinVB

I would call it time sliced turn based system. Each titan/jock has to action modes (attack/move) which will take a defined number of game seconds to complete. All actions are put into a queue and the game time is increased till the next action is pending. So each player will take its turns but not in a standard IGO-UGO fashion. There is no waiting in netgames that one player does complete all of his actions before sending his turn. Its a constant flow of actions instead but no realtime at all. When your turn/action is up you have as much time as you do need to consider your next attack/move for the active unit.

Message understood ? :D

Post #: 7
- 8/6/2003 7:49:59 AM   
Ross Moorhouse

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Joe 98
[B]Is it turn based or continous time? [/B][/QUOTE] Joe come around and I will show you the game.

Ross Moorhouse

Project Manager
www.csosimtek.com
Email: rossm@csogroup.org

Post #: 8
- 8/6/2003 7:59:54 AM   
Fred98

I will download the demo.

There is a genra in wargaming that is missing.

Where you have a squad and you control each man in the squad.

The PC game 101st Airborne and the board games Ambush! and Patrol! Each covered this genre.

But all are obsolete.

If you took the best features of each game and made a new game it would fill a gap.

And I am of the view that infantry combat is partly “turn based” and partly “continuos time”. So it would need to incorporate both depending on the situation.

Titans of Steel seems to sound a bit like this.......

Post #: 9
- 8/6/2003 8:16:07 AM   
LarkinVB

Don't get confused as the so called 'demo' is the old freeware version. You could check for the turn sequence but should note that WS is much much more than what the freeware had to offer. All aspects were improved and lots of stuff was added.

Post #: 10
- 8/6/2003 9:50:00 AM   
Ross Moorhouse

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LarkinVB
[B]Don't get confused as the so called 'demo' is the old freeware version. You could check for the turn sequence but should note that WS is much much more than what the freeware had to offer. All aspects were improved and lots of stuff was added. [/B][/QUOTE] It sure is. The full VB/atrix version isso far ahead of the freeware one it's not funny. I hated the freeware version. But having watched VB develope it its a top notch prduct now.

Ross Moorhouse

Project Manager
www.csosimtek.com
Email: rossm@csogroup.org

Post #: 11
- 8/6/2003 4:34:11 PM   
Thorgrim

In terms of gameplay, the differences are basically cosmetic. Sure v1.4 looks awful now that you've seen WS, but the game is still great if you don't mind the graphics. WS had some rules enhancements, and new weapons and lots of new functionalities, but the game is still the same one. It plays the same. It feels the same.

Iceman

Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Titans of Steel: Warring Suns is a great tactical game! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI