Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 8/31/2020 11:10:23 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

I would keep the navy recon and instead use a small land-based FP squadron to train recon pilots
I like to recon as much as I can, specially since experienced Allied players like to ambush

I avoid using IJA for naval search or ASW, but that is more for role playing reasons

otherwise, I agree. I definitively want experienced pilots out of Nates and Claudes

The problem with the floatplanes is they're already going to be working off a large pilot deficit from Dec 7th. The shipboard squadrons will eat the initial pool of experienced pilots, and then you're hard pressed to get enough trained pilots for resized squadrons into to Jakes and onto the frontlines.

The initial IJN recon force is very small, and uses the same airframe as the IJA until the Judy-C comes along. The IJA has the excess recon squadrons to carry water in the meantime, and a much bigger reserve of pilots to support it.

Once you're into 1943 and flush with floatplane pilots then switching to recon floatplane training is the best course, but until then I'm convinced in using the existing IJN recon for training until you get a plane worth flying in the Judy-C.

Every one of those 70 EXP IJN recon pilots that dies in a Babs is one that never gets to do crazy 20 hex recon missions...

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 151
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 8/31/2020 11:57:36 PM   
Lowpe

I will be sending PB ASW Task Forces into the Soc Trang circle of Dutch death...and avoiding it with everything else.

It is always interesting to see how the local Captains plot their courses...here the large CA force at Kota Bharu comes up with a convoluted path to the destination hex, and then hopefully a run straight north into Saigon for re-arming.

3rd Air Division, with 4 hex range, will head to Kota Bharu to give torpedoes to a lot of bases, Patani (for TB) Kuantan and Kota Bharu for Betties and Nells. This should seal off the Strait of Malacca if I can avoid Cap Traps...will be sweeping a lot this day.

You can see I left Singora and Patani empty. Will be occupying them with RTA fractional divisions, while most other troops are heading for prize of Singapore by ship.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 8/31/2020 11:59:42 PM >

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 152
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 9/1/2020 12:23:37 AM   
Lowpe

Marshalls...here is a nasty surprise should Lady Lex and Big E come calling very early...often the ships in port are a tempting target early on. There is a small chance he can get here on Dec 8th for a strike. Of course nothing spotted yet...and with Wake taken, the KB at Singers, this has to be a really tempting strike...but it most likely would be in a few more days so that the American CVs can meet up and provide mutual support.

He probably won't come...but rather look to stop invasions around Baker Island and west.

I need to tinker with the squadron settings, here and create lots of task forces running away, plus figure out how to take Makin & Tarawa without losing ships.

Note the 24th is in command and will greatly at coordinating naval strikes.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 9/1/2020 12:55:34 AM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 153
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 9/1/2020 12:40:01 AM   
Lowpe

Was able to fully form up the 13th KuK-1 at Roi now has 41 planes (max is 36)…

Was able to upgrade some floatplanes at Truk...so I should be able to upgrade the Claudes to Zeroes too I think, depending upon command chain.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 154
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 9/1/2020 12:53:41 AM   
Lowpe

By playing the upgrade game, I will shortly have 3 squadrons of 27 Zeroes here in the Marshalls a chutai of 8 Rufe and a chutai of 9 Claudes at Truk.

I can't increase the Rufe squadron, as it is set to expand in 43 nor the Chutai of Claudes at Truk. I stripped the pilots from the Claude chutai and set them to training. I don't see any reason to upgrade the Claudes to Zeroes at this point, although I certainly could.

I was also able to upgrade the Betty detachment to Nells and have it rejoin the parent at Roi (they have such great range).

So that is a very significant increase in air power in the Marshalls.

I flew the Claudes from Roi to Ponape, and one is disabled. I could upgrade now to Zeroes and then load them unto the Taiyo or await the 1 plane repairing and fly them to Truk for their upgrade...currently the Taiyo is west of Truk.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 9/1/2020 12:57:55 AM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 155
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 9/1/2020 1:04:12 AM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

I've put a lot of thought into how to manage the initial pilot pools and training programme for to provide Japan with the best start. You might already be doing some of this, however. So far, my process has been:

1. Dump everyone flying a Nate with decent EXP (60+) into the reserve and use them to feed your frontline Oscar squadrons. Backfill with rookies and make the Nates training squadrons (except where needed for rear area CAP).

2. Dump all the decent IJA bomber pilots in China, Manchuria and Japan into the reserve. They'll feed the IJA bomber formations on the frontline, and act as a cadre for ASW training. The squadrons in Manchuria start the training programme, the China squadrons get rookies for on-the-job learning. The squadrons in Japan get the good EXP pilots to start building ASW skill.

3. Take one Betty/Nell squadron off the frontline to start IJN 2E training regime, and use the pilots as a reserve. This hurts operationally, but I think it's worthwhile to have the reserve and jump start the training process.

4. IJN land-based floatplane units need stripped of pilots to serve the ship-based squadrons and the patrol squadrons. Replace the lot with rookies and start a crash course ASW/NavS training regime. This hurts a bit, but there's not enough Jakes to go around before 6/42 and I don't rate the capability of the other IJN floatplanes. By the time you get Jakes enough for the land-based squadrons, your pilots should be in reasonable condition.

5. Move all recon squadrons in China, Manchuria and Japan off the frontline, bar one squadron in China for operational purposes. Let them train the existing pilots with NavS, then rotate to training a fresh batch. As the IJA recon pilot pool builds, you can rotate the squadrons back into operational duties (timed so they'll be shifting over to the Dinah rather than the Babs at this point).

6. Pull all the IJN recon squadrons off the frontline, train existing pilots with NavS for a bit, then start a fresh Recon/NavS regime with rookies. By the time the Judy-C rolls off the lines, you should have a nice pool of weathered pilots, backed up by a solid cadre of trained ones, and enough floatplane squadrons to shift Recon training to them.

7. Any IJN fighter pilots in Claudes get pulled off the frontline, replaced with rookies and set to train. IJN fighter pilots are like gold-dust until the squadrons get resized and training ramps up.

Essentially, the theme is to draw down some of Japan's Dec 7th advantages in terms of pilot quality to provide some depth to the pilot pools, stalling for better airframes and using the reduced frontline capacity to jumpstart the training programme on day one.

This plan does have the impact of drawing down Japan's frontline capacity by a good margin, but Allied starting assets in the DEI are so weak that it shouldn't be serious.

As always thanks for the insights.

I do do a fair bit of this...but I just can't see myself taking off a Betty or Nell squadron this early. I generally will use only torpedo bombers to train pilots for them, and then graduate them into the Nell squadrons I use for search to gain experience and then into attack squadrons.

I usually end up transferring some of the Betties/Nells out of the SRA to cover other areas early...I fully expect Lok to come calling somewhere unexpected early on. Perhaps Guam, Perhaps Makin, Marshalls, Rabaul etc., etc. Need to cover my bases...

I do not want to end up using 3000 Jakes over the course of the game as a vp gift to the Allies from naval search, and would much rather use Dinah II and III in the naval search role. Jakes can do recon at 28K, but I fear they will need really strong skills to do so with any degree of accuracy. Gonna give it a try.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 9/1/2020 1:08:27 AM >

Post #: 156
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 9/1/2020 1:52:33 AM   
RangerJoe

The IJA Babs ad the IJN Babs should use different engines so they should be different air frames and pools.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 157
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 9/1/2020 11:24:47 AM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

I've put a lot of thought into how to manage the initial pilot pools and training programme for to provide Japan with the best start. You might already be doing some of this, however. So far, my process has been:

1. Dump everyone flying a Nate with decent EXP (60+) into the reserve and use them to feed your frontline Oscar squadrons. Backfill with rookies and make the Nates training squadrons (except where needed for rear area CAP).

2. Dump all the decent IJA bomber pilots in China, Manchuria and Japan into the reserve. They'll feed the IJA bomber formations on the frontline, and act as a cadre for ASW training. The squadrons in Manchuria start the training programme, the China squadrons get rookies for on-the-job learning. The squadrons in Japan get the good EXP pilots to start building ASW skill.

3. Take one Betty/Nell squadron off the frontline to start IJN 2E training regime, and use the pilots as a reserve. This hurts operationally, but I think it's worthwhile to have the reserve and jump start the training process.

4. IJN land-based floatplane units need stripped of pilots to serve the ship-based squadrons and the patrol squadrons. Replace the lot with rookies and start a crash course ASW/NavS training regime. This hurts a bit, but there's not enough Jakes to go around before 6/42 and I don't rate the capability of the other IJN floatplanes. By the time you get Jakes enough for the land-based squadrons, your pilots should be in reasonable condition.

5. Move all recon squadrons in China, Manchuria and Japan off the frontline, bar one squadron in China for operational purposes. Let them train the existing pilots with NavS, then rotate to training a fresh batch. As the IJA recon pilot pool builds, you can rotate the squadrons back into operational duties (timed so they'll be shifting over to the Dinah rather than the Babs at this point).

6. Pull all the IJN recon squadrons off the frontline, train existing pilots with NavS for a bit, then start a fresh Recon/NavS regime with rookies. By the time the Judy-C rolls off the lines, you should have a nice pool of weathered pilots, backed up by a solid cadre of trained ones, and enough floatplane squadrons to shift Recon training to them.

7. Any IJN fighter pilots in Claudes get pulled off the frontline, replaced with rookies and set to train. IJN fighter pilots are like gold-dust until the squadrons get resized and training ramps up.

Essentially, the theme is to draw down some of Japan's Dec 7th advantages in terms of pilot quality to provide some depth to the pilot pools, stalling for better airframes and using the reduced frontline capacity to jumpstart the training programme on day one.

This plan does have the impact of drawing down Japan's frontline capacity by a good margin, but Allied starting assets in the DEI are so weak that it shouldn't be serious.

As always thanks for the insights.

I do do a fair bit of this...but I just can't see myself taking off a Betty or Nell squadron this early. I generally will use only torpedo bombers to train pilots for them, and then graduate them into the Nell squadrons I use for search to gain experience and then into attack squadrons.

Losing the Betty/Nell squadron is manageable if you're disciplined in how you use them - the IJN never does a mission that can't be done by IJA bombers. The loss is definitely felt in Dec 42, but once the first phase has settled down I think it becomes less noticeable.

quote:

I usually end up transferring some of the Betties/Nells out of the SRA to cover other areas early...I fully expect Lok to come calling somewhere unexpected early on. Perhaps Guam, Perhaps Makin, Marshalls, Rabaul etc., etc. Need to cover my bases...

He likes his NorPac raids, and he snuck some subs into the Sea of Japan to flip empty bases on the northern shore of Honshu. That was sneaky.

quote:

I do not want to end up using 3000 Jakes over the course of the game as a vp gift to the Allies from naval search, and would much rather use Dinah II and III in the naval search role. Jakes can do recon at 28K, but I fear they will need really strong skills to do so with any degree of accuracy. Gonna give it a try.

I think the Jakes are just the price you pay for good DL as Japan. Given the comparatively few patrol squadrons to cover a lot of ocean and lack of radars to drive DL up, I think the Jakes are worth the price. It's the inshore work, and particularly at night that I think they really do work for Japan.

Dinah's only take you so far, in my experience, and the Jake/AV combo is just super flexible.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 158
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 9/1/2020 11:25:59 AM   
scondon87

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

The IJA Babs ad the IJN Babs should use different engines so they should be different air frames and pools.

Correct, they are different airframes in game.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 159
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 9/1/2020 12:41:59 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: scondon87

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

Correct, they are different airframes in game.

Operationally, they're effectively identical. Same range and almost identical characteristics.

(in reply to scondon87)
Post #: 160
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 9/1/2020 1:50:45 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

I guess if you don't use the IJN Babs for front line service, you wouldn't need to add a production line for them, which is good;

I think I would start with using them for a few turns to maybe a week, in lower risk places, within normal range, then when the need for recon is reduced, make them trainers

Post #: 161
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 9/1/2020 2:01:50 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

I guess if you don't use the IJN Babs for front line service, you wouldn't need to add a production line for them, which is good;

I think I would start with using them for a few turns to maybe a week, in lower risk places, within normal range, then when the need for recon is reduced, make them trainers

I have no production line for babs

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 162
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 9/1/2020 5:58:41 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

quote:

quote:

I have no production line for babs

which makes sense,

this is a carry forward from the times, long ago, when I was copying Mike Solli's aircraft production details

in my last (currently abandoned) Japan vs AI game I decided not to build IJN Babs and just keep squadrons below maximum if needed be... I also kept building Petes, but more for role playing reasons

Are you planning to use Emily flying boat patrols? I think I prefer Mavis for the simple fact it will fly more often;

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 163
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 9/2/2020 10:42:56 AM   
PaxMondo

A6M8 uses Ha-33 engine, and has higher DUR ... you get more damaged aircraft, fewer lost pilots as compared to the 5c.

Pax

(in reply to RADM.Yamaguchi)
Post #: 164
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 9/2/2020 12:27:48 PM   
Lowpe

Yes, on Emily. By the time the arrive, they will receive hopefully expert level pilots trained in naval attacks, and will make up a corp of special night naval attack squadrons aimed at hitting Allied carriers and invasions something I wouldn't do in a normal game.

Yes, I am looking forward to the A6M8 greatly, and consider it a poor mans George if I can get it super early. I devoted 5 factories to the Ha33, and currently have 117 in pool. Problem is Vals, Jakes, Mavis, and Nell use them....so some of those planes will be in short supply early on.

I am going with the Topsy 1 (Ha5 engine) early until the pools run out then Topsy II.

No production of any single engine light bomber, nor naval recon, nor babs army recon.

Generally speaking I find that after the early chaos, Betties and Nells are best used as naval search or bombing in China to gain experience....So Dinah won't be pulling the naval search alone. Jakes will be pulling a lot of night naval search where losses are much noticeably less than daytime naval search.

Guess I can put Jake on subs too. My goodness.

I never really had a problem with losing Babs recon in 1942.

I am such an intel gathering freak that I will never sting on recon/search and I keep most recon squadrons as recon (those that can switch into fighters) with the exception of the recon that goes night fighter.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 9/2/2020 12:29:27 PM >

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 165
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 9/2/2020 12:43:53 PM   
Lowpe

A little Japanese subterfuge, using waypoints to mess with Allied intel...I probably will tweak this yet again and set up a false deep destination point...something like Denpassar or Timor or Dili etc. Let him think I am going deep and exposed when in reality I am looking to consolidate where I am now and get coverage up.

Generally I like to try and minimize losses early in this chaotic expansion phase, and look to engage any Allied SAGs at night with small multiple task forces.

Jolo will become a rearming base for destroyers, which I will ask a lot of in the following days, plus the Kates and Vals will fly from there as soon as it is taken. Trick is getting the AD there and then keeping it alive.

Boise, Houston, Marblehead and some destroyers are in the neighborhood!

PS: I like to use support ships as escorts since they won't default to unload cargo, and I also think it gives them a bit of an advantage in avoiding combat.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 9/2/2020 12:45:05 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 166
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 9/2/2020 12:56:03 PM   
Lowpe

I need Cagayan, Davao and Cebu to close out runway threats in this area. Low flying float planes and cats will always be a problem, but perhaps I can set up a few traps for them here early on.

Allies have strong dl on all IJN task forces.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 167
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 9/2/2020 2:05:43 PM   
Lowpe

So, the question is this day will Lok consider his starting Navy disposable or will he pursue some flank speed runs to escape with them. I am thinking he will attempt to escape with Houston, Boise, Marblehead, Repulse and Mauritius. Need to cover both bases though.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 168
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 9/2/2020 2:23:13 PM   
Lowpe

Okay, you min maxers….how in the world does Chichi get to select Southern Army for a change?

I want to change quite a few bases this game, so fly off some of the air mobile troops to garrison these islands and Hokkaido, maybe some of the Kuriles, etc., etc.

Normally I would free up a small unit with AV, ship it to the desired base, convert it to say General Defense and then convert the base to General Defense...

Obviously I am missing something here that lets Chichi change...anyone know what it is?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 169
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 9/2/2020 2:32:34 PM   
Lowpe

Just realized Tokyo and Osaka start with forts 9.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 170
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 9/2/2020 2:38:39 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Okay, you min maxers….how in the world does Chichi get to select Southern Army for a change?

I want to change quite a few bases this game, so fly off some of the air mobile troops to garrison these islands and Hokkaido, maybe some of the Kuriles, etc., etc.

Normally I would free up a small unit with AV, ship it to the desired base, convert it to say General Defense and then convert the base to General Defense...

Obviously I am missing something here that lets Chichi change...anyone know what it is?

Maybe that was an historical change that was programmed in the game?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 171
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 9/2/2020 2:54:53 PM   
RADM.Yamaguchi

any combined fleet LCU allows you to change the base to Southern Army

glad i could contribute something

< Message edited by RADM.Yamaguchi -- 9/2/2020 2:55:32 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 172
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 9/2/2020 3:22:29 PM   
RangerJoe

I don't know if you know this but you can make a mine sweeping TF with just Ansyu PBs in it but only if there is a type of mine sweeping ship in the hex. The Ansyu PBs will slowly sweep mines at 1 or 2 per cleaning session BUT they can survive a mine blast, although heavily damaged. If you own the port, they will form an escort TF and immediately disband into it. It is cheaper than losing a minesweeper.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to RADM.Yamaguchi)
Post #: 173
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 9/3/2020 12:13:30 AM   
Lowpe

Finished the 2nd turn, which is usually pretty conservative for me as Japan. Sweeps, small strikes, etc. Waiting to see how Lok responds...

Post #: 174
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 9/7/2020 11:20:42 PM   
Lowpe

According to Lok, his first turn is almost done....

he especially mentioned this strike, which is the first of many Mavis/Emily strikes for this game.

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Kiungshan at 71,61

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid spotted at 19 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Japanese aircraft
H6K4 Mavis x 12

Japanese aircraft losses
H6K4 Mavis: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
DD Thracian
DD Scout, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk

Aircraft Attacking:
12 x H6K4 Mavis launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Naval Attack: 2 x 18in Type 91 Torpedo

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 9/7/2020 11:21:06 PM >

Post #: 175
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 9/9/2020 10:41:57 AM   
Lowpe

Dec 8, 1941

What promises to be a bloody day...

Near Jolo the IJN Destroyer Squadron does their duty, protecting the Yusen N that dropped troops off at Jolo…

Attachment (1)

Post #: 176
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 9/9/2020 10:42:37 AM   
Lowpe

They continue on and find the stricken Marblehead...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 177
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 9/9/2020 10:43:28 AM   
Lowpe

And then the action moves to Singers with a lone minelayer making a beeline to Palembang...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 178
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 9/9/2020 10:58:29 AM   
Lowpe

Swing back to Jolo area, and the Chokai does alright further depleting the American cruisers ammo and hurting the Houston, sinking the Bulmer...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 179
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 9/9/2020 10:59:19 AM   
Lowpe

Then the reports start coming in from near Singapore again, and again...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI