Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Top tournament

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> Top tournament Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Top tournament - 8/19/2020 11:30:52 AM   
Hadros

Hey!
Some Matrix games have tournaments.
Shall we create our own?

Idea:
8 experienced players
2 games per round, both sides
When draw > most major wins > still draw, most victory points for the next round
Min 5 turns a week, better 5 a day ofcourse ;)

Open for suggestions!
Post #: 1
RE: Top tournament - 8/20/2020 10:37:16 PM   
Harrybanana

I would be interested even though I am not sure if I qualify yet as an experienced player. But whether I play or not I would prefer waiting until version 8 is released. At 5 turns per week and assuming both games are played simultaneously it would still take 8 months to play all 150+ turns of each round. With 8 players there would be 3 rounds before a Victor is declared. So that would be about two years. I understand that your 5 turns per week is the minimum, but I think that there would need to be a 10 turns per week minimum. Also I would suggest that in case each player wins one game the winner should be decided on the basis of total combined VPs (assuming this get fixed) if the Axis win both games and the turn the Allies won on if the Allies win both games.

(in reply to Hadros)
Post #: 2
RE: Top tournament - 8/21/2020 8:18:52 AM   
Hadros

Thanks for your reply Harrybanana. Let's see if more people are interested and have ideas.

(in reply to Harrybanana)
Post #: 3
RE: Top tournament - 8/21/2020 12:58:13 PM   
ago1000

Given a single or group of smaller scenario(s) of maybe 5-10 turns tops, during a period of the war where both sides are of relative equal strength then a tournament style format could be followed. Whereby players need to play both sides. The African campaign is a good example of a smaller scenario. Another idea would be to create a "what if" scenario like Operation Sealion.

My only experience with online play has games ending in usually an hour or less time. If you are with a team, then it's a lot less, maybe 10 minute games, usually best of seven. This is a huge time commitment especially playing HvH for some with the 1939 scenario, while at the same time life happens. I believe you require a map that allows to complete this type of game within a week or less.

I'm not a history buff, but I do enjoy this game, maybe if people here could list possible scenario that could be created, others who are interested might start modding them. Even if we can start with one scenario at first and build from that it could be a start.

I believe if there is less time to commit and the map created allows for multiple strategies, then I'm sure a group of players would be interested. Including myself and I'm no expert.

Great Idea by the way, Hadros.

I would suggest creating a list of criteria that the scenario should contain and then build from that. A tournament map so to speak.

(in reply to Hadros)
Post #: 4
RE: Top tournament - 9/4/2020 11:24:25 AM   
Hadros

Not more people interested?

(in reply to ago1000)
Post #: 5
RE: Top tournament - 9/4/2020 2:00:14 PM   
kennonlightfoot

I'll be interested but who is going to design some short scenarios for it? I recommend more than 10 turns so there will be enough "room" for some tactics. If you make them to short, it becomes a bash them until the timer runs out situation. My guess would be to aim for about 20-24 turn scenario (that would correspond to a normal summer campaign). Doesn't need to be balanced if you can arrange victory relative to historical situation. Something like the 1942 front in Russia ending on Oct 1st.

(in reply to Hadros)
Post #: 6
RE: Top tournament - 9/4/2020 8:58:03 PM   
Hadros

We could use the scenario's already provided.
Something like this.
First round scenario 1944.
Second round 1942.
Finale 1939.

(in reply to kennonlightfoot)
Post #: 7
RE: Top tournament - 11/7/2020 10:26:14 PM   
ComadrejaKorp

I am interested in the idea, personally I would play complete games from 39, I know it seems crazy but with serious players it could work.
Mirror games, victory for whoever wins both games, if each one wins a game, the one who has been eliminated later continues, if they both resisted until the end, who obtained more victory points in their game as defeated continues.
I have played 10 mirror Pbems, they have lasted 2 months maximum. If we are 8 players, 4 on one side and 4 on the other, the tournament would last 6 months (for 16 players it would last 8 months).
When the next update comes out, it would be a good time to start, Personally I don't care that the tournament is long, I always have 4 games running.

(in reply to Hadros)
Post #: 8
RE: Top tournament - 11/8/2020 10:25:10 AM   
MagicMissile

If someone starts it Ill gladly play. I also dont really care how long it takes. I play a bit of chess on chess.com not very good but it is fun and I am still in some tournaments that started in 2017 so I got patience .

/MM

(in reply to ComadrejaKorp)
Post #: 9
RE: Top tournament - 11/8/2020 4:07:38 PM   
michaelCLARADY

I could go with a tourney built around the 1939 Scenario. Duration does not bother me. I am in Round 3 of a Chess.com tourney that started in late 2017.

1) Allow 24 hours to respond to a new turn. Require a martrix forum note to opponent after each completed turn. Time stamp keeps things honest if one must claim a Win on time. Tourney Director is final judge.
2) Mirror Games-
A) 2 Games won by same Player
B) 1 Game each- earliest takedown of both Ger/It
C) 1 Game each- no takedown of both Ger and It? Most CUM VP's prevails.
3) Winners of Round 1 match up for Round 2 etc
4) Concession of Games after Turn 50 or so where no come from behind is plausible highly encouraged.

(in reply to MagicMissile)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> Top tournament Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI