Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apbarog(A) vs OPilot(J)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apbarog(A) vs OPilot(J) Page: <<   < prev  62 63 [64] 65 66   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 8/26/2020 2:26:31 AM   
BBfanboy

If you haven't already tried it, sometimes putting them in rest/training mode seems to make the upgrade happen sooner. Whether that is because of a check of the upgrade path and fixing any missing TOE items I don't know.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 1891
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 8/26/2020 11:49:41 AM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alamander

Yes for the general device... but is the upgrade path for that device entered into the unit information as well? And if so, is that information then transferred to the /c element when the division is divided? That may be the crux of the problem. If that is the problem, it should eventually upgrade; it is just slower to do so.

I found the old post by Pax in which he explains that if the device does not have an upgrade path in the unit ToE, it is much slower to upgrade. Here is a link to the discussion on this issue.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4160597&mpage=2&key=upgrade�

Not really applicable to this case, at the time there were loads of mistakes especially in the Japanese OOB hitting hard AA guns especially I recall.

If what you say was applicable in this case, it would effect the A/B/C fractional units not just one of the fractional units.

(in reply to Alamander)
Post #: 1892
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 8/26/2020 11:52:16 AM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

If you haven't already tried it, sometimes putting them in rest/training mode seems to make the upgrade happen sooner. Whether that is because of a check of the upgrade path and fixing any missing TOE items I don't know.

Pretty sure he did that, I would move to another location and see if that resets the calculation, but he might have done that too.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1893
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 8/27/2020 5:44:34 PM   
apbarog

17 Feb 44

Mine clearing continued at Hong Kong, as did the slow US battleship bombardments. Over 1500 casualties there. It's been brutal. Having AKEs at nearby Swatow means that most of the time, the battleships can bombard every day. Once Hong Kong is taken, cruisers will be based there and will start bombarding Canton, up the river, every day.

US fighters swept Rabaul again but found no enemy planes. US bombers did minor damage to the airfield.

Lots of enemy bombers hit the Chinese at Ichang. P-47s and P-38s were there on LRCAP, and did well, but couldn't stop all the bombers. B-24s returned the favor, hitting enemy troops at Ichang. Lots of US bombers hitting the trapped enemy pocket at Canton/Hong Kong. Kanhsien was hit also.

Total air losses were 12 Oscars, 10 Nicks, 7 Sonias, 1 Peggy and 1 Sally, for the cost of 3 P-38s and 2 P-47s.

Enemy counter attack north of Sian failed. Both sides are attempting to reinforce here. One of the Chinese corp here is trying to leave to the west, with all squads disabled from the initial river crossing. I had given the one undamaged Chinese corp a very good leader yesterday, and it made a difference.

Ground combat at 82,39 (near Sian)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 27126 troops, 238 guns, 48 vehicles, Assault Value = 751

Defending force 19004 troops, 140 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 341

Japanese adjusted assault: 384

Allied adjusted defense: 841

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), op mode(-), leaders(+), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
3635 casualties reported
Squads: 15 destroyed, 377 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 20 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 12 disabled

Allied ground losses:
396 casualties reported
Squads: 33 destroyed, 7 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Assaulting units:
110th Division
24th Division
North China Area Army

Defending units:
29th Chinese Corps
95th Chinese Corps
8th Group Army

The last enemy on Pescadores was eliminated. Two US divisions, two artillery units, and an amphibious support unit will be picked up and taken back to Manila to prepare for Japan. Transports were waiting at nearby Takao for this.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1894
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 8/27/2020 10:45:04 PM   
apbarog

18 Feb 44

More of the same bombing today. It does look like there is something lurking between Shanghai and Japan. The same 2 US subs in that area that had 10/10 DL yesterday had it again today, and a float plane attacked one.

Troops are reloading at Pescadores to go back to Manila to rest and prep for Japan. A huge number of Allied troops will move out of Swatow today, alleviating the over-stacking problem there. Not that it is a problem, really. The Chinese invasion bases have over 250k supply, despite supply being pulled into the Chinese interior.

Finally! The upgrade issue with the US infantry division on Takao resolved itself, with the "C" part upgrading to the 57mm guns. 19 guns were drawn from the pool. It did so with 9 extra guns in the pool, which is coincidentally the same number in the pool after the "A" and "B" parts upgraded on the same day. Probably just a random chance of upgrading. Maybe a very wild guess theory that the pool has 9 guns in it but thinks it has 0. Who knows. All I know is that the problem is resolved. I've put the 57mm guns in the pool back on stockpiling, so that this doesn't occur with other units, and I can continue upgrading them otherwise.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1895
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 8/27/2020 11:21:16 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: apbarog

18 Feb 44

More of the same bombing today. It does look like there is something lurking between Shanghai and Japan. The same 2 US subs in that area that had 10/10 DL yesterday had it again today, and a float plane attacked one.

Troops are reloading at Pescadores to go back to Manila to rest and prep for Japan. A huge number of Allied troops will move out of Swatow today, alleviating the over-stacking problem there. Not that it is a problem, really. The Chinese invasion bases have over 250k supply, despite supply being pulled into the Chinese interior.

Finally! The upgrade issue with the US infantry division on Takao resolved itself, with the "C" part upgrading to the 57mm guns. 19 guns were drawn from the pool. It did so with 9 extra guns in the pool, which is coincidentally the same number in the pool after the "A" and "B" parts upgraded on the same day. Probably just a random chance of upgrading. Maybe a very wild guess theory that the pool has 9 guns in it but thinks it has 0. Who knows. All I know is that the problem is resolved. I've put the 57mm guns in the pool back on stockpiling, so that this doesn't occur with other units, and I can continue upgrading them otherwise.

Could those 9 guns be today's production, or even this week's production? Maybe this is like picking up resources at a port that also produces them and no matter how much you try you never get to 0 because today's production cannot be loaded until tomorrow.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 1896
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 8/27/2020 11:30:15 PM   
apbarog

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

18 Feb 44

Could those 9 guns be today's production, or even this week's production? Maybe this is like picking up resources at a port that also produces them and no matter how much you try you never get to 0 because today's production cannot be loaded until tomorrow.

Production is 20 guns per month.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1897
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 8/28/2020 12:38:58 AM   
Alamander

Basically the same as with my tanks, except my tanks had the = adjacent to the device. As I mentioned, I think, for whatever reason, the 37mm tank guns in that unit did not have an upgrade path specified for the unit (only for the device in general), like the sound detectors on Honshu and this seems to make upgrades slower, as PaxMondo mentioned some time back in the post I shared.

I also think that your red support level may have played a role in slowing the upgrade. I noticed that my tanks also had less support than necessary, but my sound detectors (the ones without the =) did not, and the sound detectors upgraded more quickly than the tanks (about 4-5 days on average, compared to 2 weeks for the tanks).

< Message edited by Alamander -- 8/28/2020 12:40:10 AM >

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 1898
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 8/29/2020 11:45:38 PM   
apbarog

19 Feb 44

Tennessee, California and Oklahoma bombarded Hong Kong. 707 casualties and major base damage.

Tojos from Okinawa swept Miyako-Jima, the closest US held island. It has a size 1 airfield. No CAP. 27 Sallys with 27 Zeros then attacked, doing very little damage in severe storms.

Enemy bombers hit US troops at Kanhsien. 8 P-47s were overhead, using range 2 CAP from Kukong, but they couldn't engage the bombers, nor the ones that arrived afterwards. Moderate damage to the troops. US bombers then hit the Japanese at Kanhsien, and did significant damage to them. 2 P-38 squadrons are now moved to Kukong to dedicate a LRCAP over Kanhsien.

The enemy's 3rd Tank Divison is spotted way, way in northern China, on the easternmost trail. A small Chinese unit is in its way. B-26s bombed the enemy tanks, doing very little damage, but now movement is seen back to the southeast. Not sure what OPilot was thinking here. The trail has been blocked, albeit minimally, for years. He could break through with the armor, I think, but supply would be impossible on that very long trail.

Another foolish Chinese river crossing, just north of Sian. This one ran into 2 enemy divisions.

Ground combat at 83,40 (near Sian)

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 32333 troops, 121 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 1142

Defending force 28596 troops, 248 guns, 66 vehicles, Assault Value = 862

Allied adjusted assault: 207

Japanese adjusted defense: 1825

Allied assault odds: 1 to 8

Combat modifiers
Defender: leaders(+)
Attacker: shock(+), disruption(-)

Japanese ground losses:
850 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 82 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 9 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Guns lost 9 (2 destroyed, 7 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
6653 casualties reported
Squads: 165 destroyed, 437 disabled
Non Combat: 4 destroyed, 56 disabled
Engineers: 12 destroyed, 23 disabled
Guns lost 55 (3 destroyed, 52 disabled)

Assaulting units:
24th Chinese Corps
27th Chinese Corps
40th Chinese Corps
38th Group Army

Defending units:
35th Division
8th Division

One Chinese corp is wrecked. The others are ok, but may not be strong enough to hold. Doesn't really matter here, to be honest. Neither side is going to achieve much here. OPilot has not weakened the northern front near Sian, and that's not all bad for the Allies.

I considered pulling the trigger on the Okinawa landings, but I won't yet. The armor prepped for Naha is still way down south, at Ternate. And armor will be needed. The invasion will wait for that unit, so it'll be 10 days or so before loading begins. The main show, for now, is still the Hong Kong/Canton pocket.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1899
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 8/31/2020 1:52:24 AM   
apbarog

20 Feb 44

Sub Runner missed light cruiser Tama south of Tokyo. Appeared to be heading south. But near Nagasaki...

Sub attack near Fukue-jima at 100,59

Japanese Ships
CV Kaga, Torpedo hits 1
CA Mikuma
CA Myoko
CA Chokai
CA Takao
CL Kiso
CS Nisshin
DD Takanami
DD Kazegumo
DD Hatsuzuki
DD Asashio
DD Hayashimo
DD Asashimo
DD Hamanami

Allied Ships
SS Angler, hits 4

SS Angler launches 6 torpedoes at CV Kaga

First confirmed carrier sighting in awhile. Had suspected they were between Nagasaki and Shanghai, and they may have been.

OPilot did probing artillery attacks at Sian and to the north of Sian. One hex is more vulnerable for the Chinese than the others.

Still reducing the enemy division at Temuloh on Malaya. The end isn't too far away, with the enemy combat strength down to 33.

OPilot swept and bombed Ishigaki. Moderate base damage. I hadn't moved CAP to the islands east of Formosa, but today the big carriers will move adjacent and range CAP. There's a risk of naval bombers going into a big CAP at Okinawa, so massive fighter sweeps of Naha and Nago are ordered.

Lots of US support units, currently at bases on the Chinese coast, start to prep for bases on the southern island of Japan.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1900
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 8/31/2020 6:50:10 AM   
CaptBeefheart

quote:

Lots of US support units, currently at bases on the Chinese coast, start to prep for bases on the southern island of Japan.

[Smiley grinning and rubbing hands together] Ah, the main act we have been waiting for. Looking forward to this.

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 1901
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/1/2020 1:41:36 AM   
apbarog

21 Feb 44

2 US YMS's go to Hong Kong to sweep mines. Despite the daily bombardments of 5 battleships, the guns are still firing, at least to some extent. YMS 315 will probably sink today, with damage at SYS 23/FLOT 98-32/ENG 4-0/FIRE 10. The good news is that all mines have been swept at Hong Kong.

Yesterday, submarine Bang had a dud torpedo hit on a sub chaser near Toyohara. Today, it hit and sank sub chaser Ch 44 in that area.

13 A-36s tried to LRCAP Ichang but got overwhelmed by 37 Franks. Franks that were in Thailand are now in China. I need more and better planes in central and northern China, but the focus is on the Hong Kong/Canton pocket, for now.

I had a plan of moving the big US carriers adjacent to Ishigaki, east of Formosa. They would be 7 hexes from Naha and Nago, able to hit any shipping there. I ordered many fighter sweeps of Naha and Nago. The sweeps to Nago didn't fly due to weather. The sweeps to Naha didn't go well, despite using P-47s and P-38s, and running into Georges and Zeros. Fortunately, the enemy swept Miyako-jima with Tonys, otherwise they would have been above Okinawa also.

I had moved a big Fletcher class destroyer group to Ishigaki. With the big carriers adjacent, they should be protected. But my carriers stayed by Takao, leaving the destroyers without air cover. Jills and Judys from Okinawa attacked, and somehow every torpedo and bomb missed the destroyers. Flak losses were very heavy, shockingly heavy. So, it wasn't a disaster.

Total air losses were 6 Georges and 4 Zeros for the cost of 15 P-47s and 9 P-38s. Terrible results. Range probably played a role, with it being 9 hexes to Naha. Long range sweeps. At Ishigaki, 21 Judys and 6 Jills were shot down by flak from the destroyers. 12 A-36s were lost over Ichang.

I've had a problem moving my big carriers around since the Chinese invasion. I have 5 carrier task forces, and a big destroyer covering force. One carrier task force leads, and the other 5 task forces are set to follow. This is the third instance of the gaggle barely moving or not moving at all, when ordered to move further. Fuel is definitely not a problem. All ships have over 90% of their fuel. I think it's just something with having so many task forces set to follow.

I'm sending all the ships to Takao, where I will disband the task forces, and reform them into new task forces. I will have to consider not having them follow each other in future operations.

11 days until the first B-29 squadron arrives at Aden. Practically speaking, the war is already won with the ability to put B-29s on Formosa and Luzon. But we want to see Japan invaded. And so we shall.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 1902
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/2/2020 5:17:00 PM   
apbarog

22 Feb 44

Submarine Rock spotted a big combat task force near Tokara Retto. It would turn out to have carriers. Rock didn't get a shot with the first sighting, and then missed destroyer Susuzuki with 4 torpedoes. In the same area, sub Mingo sank sub chaser CHa-40.

Hong Kong was given the daily treatment of 5 slow US battleships bombarding. The base will be taken as soon as the British can walk there.

US planes based at Munda attacked shipping at Rabaul. This was a mistake on my part. I'd had them set up to hit shipping at Rabaul some days ago, but back then, I did fighter sweeps that cleared the way. However, the shipping that I was after had left, so the bombers didn't fly. I'd since rested the sweepers, but left the naval bombers set up, and still with the range to go all the way to Rabaul. The enemy had moved fighters back into Rabaul.

Morning Air attack on TF, near Rabaul at 106,125

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid detected at 62 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 23 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zero x 34
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 27

Allied aircraft
FM-1 Wildcat x 17
SBD-5 Dauntless x 48

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
FM-1 Wildcat: 6 destroyed
SBD-5 Dauntless: 7 destroyed, 16 damaged
SBD-5 Dauntless: 1 destroyed by flak

Japanese Ships
DD Fumizuki
DD Satsuki
DD Minazuki
DD Nagatsuki

Actual losses were 26 SBDs and 13 FM-1s. Sloppy play on my part.

Big Allied attack at Kanhsien, with the Chinese crossing a river. Lots of US bombers supporting. The Chinese took most of the losses, which I'm fine with.

Ground combat at Kanhsien (81,57)

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 23154 troops, 243 guns, 207 vehicles, Assault Value = 1259

Defending force 13948 troops, 87 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 394

Allied adjusted assault: 685

Japanese adjusted defense: 162

Allied assault odds: 4 to 1 (fort level 3)

Allied Assault reduces fortifications to 0

Combat modifiers
Defender: forts(+), disruption(-), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+)

Japanese ground losses:
2579 casualties reported
Squads: 16 destroyed, 220 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 17 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 13 disabled
Guns lost 17 (2 destroyed, 15 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
889 casualties reported
Squads: 3 destroyed, 89 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 37 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 5 disabled
Vehicles lost 15 (2 destroyed, 13 disabled)

Assaulting units:
640th Tank Destroyer Battalion
627th Tank Destroyer Battalion
2/5th Armoured Regiment
102nd(Sep) Infantry Regiment
1st (Spec) Cavalry Division
86th Chinese Corps
100th Chinese Corps
I US Corps
7th War Area

Defending units:
70th Division
6th Ind.Infantry Brigade
34th Const Co
1st JAAF AF Coy

Northeast of Canton, another satisfactory Chinese attack.

Ground combat at 78,58 (near Canton)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 32893 troops, 158 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 1116

Defending force 10439 troops, 68 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 343

Allied adjusted assault: 529

Japanese adjusted defense: 138

Allied assault odds: 3 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: leaders(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
621 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 143 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 12 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled

Allied ground losses:
812 casualties reported
Squads: 6 destroyed, 80 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 9 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled

Assaulting units:
54th Chinese Corps
34th Chinese Corps
98th Chinese Corps
10th Group Army
16th Group Army
25th Group Army
7th Artillery Regiment

Defending units:
65th Division

US big carriers reformed at Takao and were not spotted. I now have 4 big carrier task forces instead of 5. CVE task forces were at Swatow. Many FM-1 squadrons upgraded to FM-2s. The CVEs and CVs will rendezvous southwest of Takao, in a spot that has been a blind spot for the Japanese.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1903
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/3/2020 12:14:28 AM   
apbarog

22 Feb 44

Attachment (1)

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 1904
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/3/2020 10:40:38 PM   
apbarog

23 Feb 44

After yesterday's ill-advised naval strike on Rabaul, F4U-1s, Spitfires and P-38s swept Rabaul. 9 Zeros and 11 Tojos were shot down, for the cost of 9 F4U-1s, 8 Spits and 2 P-38Gs.

Enemy planes hit the Chinese in the clear terrain at Sian. US bombers heavily bombed enemy troops in the Canton/Hong Kong pocket.

Kanhsien was captured with heavy enemy losses.

Ground combat at Kanhsien (81,57)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 36605 troops, 286 guns, 368 vehicles, Assault Value = 1186

Defending force 12109 troops, 86 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 206

Allied adjusted assault: 985

Japanese adjusted defense: 66

Allied assault odds: 14 to 1 (fort level 0)

Allied forces CAPTURE Kanhsien !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: disruption(-), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
6288 casualties reported
Squads: 284 destroyed, 32 disabled
Non Combat: 109 destroyed, 17 disabled
Engineers: 37 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 58 (33 destroyed, 25 disabled)
Units retreated 4

Allied ground losses:
344 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 37 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 7 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 3 disabled
Vehicles lost 6 (1 destroyed, 5 disabled)

Defeated Japanese Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
1st (Spec) Cavalry Division
627th Tank Destroyer Battalion
2/5th Armoured Regiment
86th Chinese Corps
102nd(Sep) Infantry Regiment
640th Tank Destroyer Battalion
100th Chinese Corps
I US Corps
7th War Area

Defending units:
70th Division
6th Ind.Infantry Brigade
34th Const Co
1st JAAF AF Coy

Bacolod, an island in the Philippines, was captured. The only enemy bases in the Philippines that are still enemy controlled are Cebu and Davao.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1905
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/5/2020 3:01:45 AM   
apbarog

24 Feb 44

Scamp got a dud torpedo hit on E Nomi near Tokara Retto.

Lots of enemy air activity hitting Kanhsien, just after the Allies captured the base. It was very effective but too late to make any difference.

Lots of B-24s hit the huge airfield at Hankow. I'd noticed that many planes were coming from that direction. Nicks were defending. 10 were lost to fighter sweeps and to the bombers. 4 B-24s were lost. Minor base damage. A handful of enemy planes destroyed on the ground.

The enemy at Temuloh is almost destroyed. The reduction continues. The enemy at Bacolod in the Philippines is destroyed. The Australians there begin to prep for nearby Cebu, to help another Australian brigade that has been there but isn't strong enough to defeat the enemy. No rush here. The enemy isn't going anywhere.

Could be a carrier battle today.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1906
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/5/2020 10:28:03 AM   
Lowpe

quote:

How many planes does your deathstar field?

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 1907
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/5/2020 3:58:43 PM   
apbarog

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

quote:

How many planes does your deathstar field?

I'll check later. I have every big US carrier there, and I think 5 CVL's.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1908
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/5/2020 4:51:27 PM   
apbarog

Carriers include Lexington, Saratoga, Yorktown, Huey, Dewey, Essex, Bunker Hill, Intrepid, Enterprise, Hornet and Wasp. There are 7 light carriers. Aircraft totals:

580 F6F-3
18 F4U-1A
238 SBD-5
136 SB2C-1C
107 TBF-1
108 TBM-1C

A couple of land-based fighter squadrons may cover from adjacent islands.

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 1909
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/5/2020 5:13:13 PM   
CV10

Good luck and happy hunting!

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 1910
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/7/2020 1:26:28 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Where is Louie? The world wonders.

Good luck.

Cheers,
CB

(in reply to CV10)
Post #: 1911
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/7/2020 4:59:40 PM   
apbarog

quote:

ORIGINAL: CaptBeefheart

Where is Louie? The world wonders.

Good luck.

Cheers,
CB

Gotta love a plan that takes over a year to reveal itself. At least the "Duck" characters existed in this time frame. I honored brave ARD Dewey with a carrier name. Then I had to come up with something for the other 2 carriers. It just worked.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 1912
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/7/2020 5:00:39 PM   
apbarog

The enemy moved transports to Okinawa, with a battleship TF and a carrier TF adjacent. It was a long replay. Details soon.

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 1913
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/7/2020 6:34:06 PM   
apbarog

25 Feb 44

Redfin spotted a 3 battleship TF near Naha. Torpedoes missed a destroyer. Bluefish missed I-183 near Babeldaob with 2 torpedoes.

22 P-47s swept Nago, finding 18 Zeros. Many Zeros were shot down.
16 P-38Js swept Naha and found 42 Tojos and 42 Tonys. Some enemy shot down but the Lightnings were massacred. They did soften up the CAP, at least.
11 P-38Hs swept Nago, finding just 3 Zeros. All were destroyed.
35 F4U-1As swept Nago, but found no enemy planes.

Then the fireworks started.

17 Jills, 25 Judys and 15 Jacks attacked the US carriers. The enemy came from Okinawa. Pretty much every enemy plane was shot down before getting to target. CAP was 14 P-47Ds and 312 F6F-3s.

US carrier planes launched, but not against the carriers. They went after targets at Naha.

Morning Air attack on TF, near Naha at 95,66

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid detected at 77 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 28 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-44-IIb Tojo x 34
Ki-61-Ic Tony x 36

Allied aircraft
F6F-3 Hellcat x 119
SB2C-1C Helldiver x 34
SBD-5 Dauntless x 34
TBM-1C Avenger x 18

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIb Tojo: 1 destroyed
Ki-61-Ic Tony: 3 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F6F-3 Hellcat: 5 destroyed
SB2C-1C Helldiver: 1 destroyed, 11 damaged
SB2C-1C Helldiver: 1 destroyed by flak
SBD-5 Dauntless: 1 destroyed, 10 damaged
TBM-1C Avenger: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
xAP Tatsuta Maru, Bomb hits 4, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAP Asama Maru, Bomb hits 12, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Akishimo, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
xAP Shanghai Maru, Bomb hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Shimozuki, Bomb hits 2, on fire
CL Kuma, Bomb hits 4, on fire

Japanese ground losses:
5398 casualties reported
Squads: 60 destroyed, 78 disabled
Non Combat: 89 destroyed, 138 disabled
Engineers: 5 destroyed, 5 disabled
Guns lost 66 (44 destroyed, 22 disabled)

That was it for the morning phase. But in the afternoon, bigger strikes. The weather turned for the worse.

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Iriomote at 90,65

Weather in hex: Light cloud

Raid detected at 119 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 30 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5c Zero x 50
B6N1 Jill x 18
B6N2 Jill x 53
D4Y2 Judy x 54

Allied aircraft
P-47D2 Thunderbolt x 14
F6F-3 Hellcat x 387

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5c Zero: 5 destroyed
B6N1 Jill: 3 destroyed, 7 damaged
B6N1 Jill: 3 destroyed by flak
B6N2 Jill: 33 destroyed, 6 damaged
B6N2 Jill: 2 destroyed by flak
D4Y2 Judy: 34 destroyed, 3 damaged
D4Y2 Judy: 4 destroyed by flak

No Allied losses

Allied Ships
CV Huey
CV Yorktown, Torpedo hits 2, heavy damage
BB Washington
CVL Independence
CV Lexington
BB North Carolina
CVL Monterey

30 bombers got to target to release bombs or torpedoes.

US aircraft returned the favor.

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Naha at 96,66

Weather in hex: Thunderstorms

Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 29 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zero x 6
A6M5c Zero x 54
N1K1-J George x 2

Allied aircraft
F4U-1A Corsair x 18
F6F-3 Hellcat x 82
SB2C-1C Helldiver x 102
SBD-5 Dauntless x 94
TBF-1 Avenger x 18
TBM-1C Avenger x 51

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5c Zero: 5 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F6F-3 Hellcat: 8 destroyed
SB2C-1C Helldiver: 4 destroyed, 7 damaged
SBD-5 Dauntless: 1 destroyed, 15 damaged
SBD-5 Dauntless: 2 destroyed by flak
TBM-1C Avenger: 2 damaged

Japanese Ships
CV Zuikaku, Bomb hits 3, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
CV Taiho, Bomb hits 5, heavy fires
BB Yamashiro, Bomb hits 4
CV Shokaku, Bomb hits 4, on fire
DD Susuzuki
CV Katsuragi, Bomb hits 11, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
CA Mogami
BB Mutsu, Bomb hits 3
CA Mikuma, Bomb hits 2, on fire
CA Myoko, Bomb hits 5, on fire
BB Fuso, Bomb hits 2
BB Nagato
DD Hamanami
DD Naganami
DD Takanami
CL Kiso
DD Yugumo
DD Niizuki, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DD Kazegumo
CA Takao

And another.

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Naha at 96,66

Weather in hex: Thunderstorms

Raid detected at 78 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 33 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zero x 2
A6M5c Zero x 23
N1K1-J George x 2

Allied aircraft
F6F-3 Hellcat x 31
SB2C-1C Helldiver x 27
SBD-5 Dauntless x 68

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5c Zero: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F6F-3 Hellcat: 1 destroyed
SB2C-1C Helldiver: 4 destroyed, 2 damaged
SB2C-1C Helldiver: 1 destroyed by flak
SBD-5 Dauntless: 7 destroyed, 15 damaged

Japanese Ships
CS Nisshin, Bomb hits 4, on fire
CV Shokaku, on fire
CA Mogami
CV Taiho, heavy fires
CV Katsuragi, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Wakazuki
CV Zuikaku, Bomb hits 7, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Takanami
CA Myoko, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
CL Kiso
DD Yugumo
DD Susuzuki, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CA Mikuma, on fire

Fragmented US strikes followed, but fortunately the enemy CAP over the carriers was weakening.

18 TBF-1s found 9 Zeros and a George, losing some aircraft, but missed all targets.
18 TBM-1Cs with 20 F6F-3 found 30 Tojos and 26 Tonys at Naha. US aircraft were lost and no torpedoes were dropped.
18 TBM-1Cs found 5 Zeros and a George over the carriers. 7 bombers missed with their torpedoes.

27 Judys then attacked US carriers unescorted. 383 Hellcats took care of them. No bombs dropped.

18 TBF-1s found 3 Zeros, losing a few aircraft.

CV Shokaku, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage

34 SBD-5 arrived, and the enemy CAP had been depleted.

CA Chokai, Bomb hits 2, on fire
CV Shokaku, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
CV Zuikaku, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
CA Mikuma, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CV Taiho, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires

18 more TBM-1Cs dropped.

CA Myoko, Torpedo hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage

And 18 more TBM-1Cs.

CV Taiho, Torpedo hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
CA Myoko, Torpedo hits 4, and is sunk
CV Katsuragi, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk

Yorktown is SYS 22/FLOT 73-57/ENG 23-17/FIRE 0. It shows movement of 2 hexes per phase at full speed and 0 hexes per phase at normal speed. I'll risk additional damage with a full speed run towards Taihoku. It is 5 hexes away.

Total air losses were: (numbers in parentheses were lost on sunk ships)

92 A6M5c Zero (16)
82 D4Y2 Judy (3)
59 B6N2 Jill (8)
29 D4Y1 Judy
21 D4Y3 Judy (21)
17 A6M5 Zero
12 B6N1 Jill
11 Tony
10 Jack
5 Tojo
2 Pete (2)

44 F6F-3
24 SBD-5
22 TBM-1C
19 SB2C-1C
13 TBF-1
12 P-38J

49 US pilots were KIA, 4 of which had been aces. 14 became aces. 1 became a double ace.

The enemy carriers were protecting a big convoy going to Naha. The large loss of life for the troops on the xAPs is even bigger than the numbers show. If any of the other huge xAPs sink, the numbers will be much higher. With the invasion of Okinawa just a week or so away, hitting this convoy was important. Of concern is the enemy battleships. The bomb hits on them were insignificant, and they will be a worry for the invasion beaches. This close to Japan, Japan doesn't really need carriers, and it could be argued, shouldn't have needed carriers to cover troop convoys inbound to Okinawa.

It was interesting to see a number of 250 pound bombs from the SB2C-1Cs not penetrate carrier flight decks, and more than a few others hit hull armor. The battle took place at a range of 6 hexes, which allowed the TBFs to carry torpedoes. They wouldn't have at 7 hexes. And we all know what happens at 8 hexes.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1914
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/7/2020 8:03:05 PM   
BBfanboy

Wow! Great move at a critical moment! Well done!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 1915
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/7/2020 8:48:31 PM   
BBfanboy

PS - could you post the day's air loss screen when you get a chance? Interested to see if the KB had significant ground losses to confirm carriers went down.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1916
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/7/2020 8:58:58 PM   
apbarog

The air losses are already listed in the post above. One carrier sunk for sure. Others have to be in bad shape, if not sunk.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1917
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/8/2020 8:34:55 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

The air losses are already listed in the post above. One carrier sunk for sure. Others have to be in bad shape, if not sunk.

Sorry about that - I was looking for the Intel Report screenie and overlooked that you had the aircraft ground losses in brackets in your post.

I don't give Shokaku, Zuikaku or Taiho much chance of surviving, even if they disband into Naha. The availability of nearby bases probably saved a few of his aircraft.

If his BBs give chase, they are likely to get close to your CVs about the time you restock your torps ...

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 1918
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/9/2020 12:12:10 AM   
apbarog

26 Feb 44

Sub Grunion spotted the enemy battleship group leaving the Okinawa area. I figured that the Japanese would retreat along the island chain back to Japan, and it appears that they did. Grunion was on an island, which meant shallow water. It was attacked by destroyers Suzukaze and Yamakaze, both of which drop groups of 4 depth charges. In the shallow water, I feared the end for Grunion. But it was only hit by 1 depth charge. Fortunately, both destroyers ran out of depth charges quickly. They weren't fully stocked. So Grunion will survive with SYS 14/FLOT 40-32/ENG 0/FIRE 0 and head back to Manila.

I moved a battleship group to bombard the enemy in the hex between Hong Kong and Canton. They had to move through Hong Kong to get to the hex. The river starts past that hex, so the battleships can go that far. However, for whatever reason, the ships went to the hex and didn't bombard. I've now ordered them to bombard Hong Kong on the way out. I need to reassign the slow battleships to the Okinawa campaign.

No sign of the enemy carriers or the enemy transports near Okinawa. They've either fled the area or sank.

Yorktown sprinted towards Taihoku but came up one hex short. It gained 2 SYS damage and 4 FLOT damage, but should make it to port tonight and start repairing damage, assisted by an AR. Lots of CAP provided, and some destroyers guarding the port.

Things are moving for the Okinawa invasion. Troops have begun to load on Luzon, and lots of assault shipping is headed to Formosa to load the bulk of the troops. Lots of xAPs are headed to Takao to then move to the Chinese coast to pick up US troops. They'll go back to Luzon to prep for the invasion of Japan.

OPilot has said that he thinks that I'll get the 3 to 1 auto victory in 1944, and that we'll discuss whether to continue the game at that point. I want to see Japan invaded, having never been involved in a game with that before. But I'd understand if he surrenders before that. He could be worse off than I know about. I've cut off most of the oil quite awhile ago. It's entirely possible that the Japanese economy has collapsed.

But I think that autovictory won't happen until after the invasion of Japan.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1919
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/9/2020 3:27:33 AM   
CaptBeefheart

I have had pretty much zero luck shore bombarding the enemy in non-base hexes, or even at hexes where I own the base. However, I think I saw somewhere on this forum recently that you can get results if you select "remain on station" so they bombard during the day. Of course, that subjects your vessels to the possibility of daylight airstrikes.

Would be great to see an invasion of Japan and at least a month of gameplay after that. That's rare territory for AARs.

Cheers,
CB

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 1920
Page:   <<   < prev  62 63 [64] 65 66   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apbarog(A) vs OPilot(J) Page: <<   < prev  62 63 [64] 65 66   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI