Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: By the Numbers: Another Solo Global War AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> RE: By the Numbers: Another Solo Global War AAR Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: By the Numbers: Another Solo Global War AAR - 8/31/2020 9:28:53 PM   
rkr1958

Turn 11. May/June 1941. US Entry.

1. A biggie ... the US player is able to pass the war appropriations option immediately increasing his production multiplier from 0.5 to 0.75.

Attachment (1)

Ronnie

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 271
RE: By the Numbers: Another Solo Global War AAR - 8/31/2020 9:29:55 PM   
rkr1958

Turn 11. May/June 1941. Economics.

Attachment (1)

Ronnie

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 272
RE: By the Numbers: Another Solo Global War AAR - 8/31/2020 9:30:24 PM   
rkr1958

Turn 11. May/June 1941. Production Spiral. Axis.

Attachment (1)

Ronnie

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 273
RE: By the Numbers: Another Solo Global War AAR - 8/31/2020 9:30:46 PM   
rkr1958

Turn 11. May/June 1941. Production Spiral. Allied.

Attachment (1)

Ronnie

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 274
RE: By the Numbers: Another Solo Global War AAR - 8/31/2020 9:31:25 PM   
rkr1958

Turn 11. May/June 1941. Global Map. Control.

Attachment (1)

Ronnie

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 275
RE: By the Numbers: Another Solo Global War AAR - 8/31/2020 9:31:49 PM   
rkr1958

Turn 11. May/June 1941. Global Map. Units.

Attachment (1)

Ronnie

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 276
RE: By the Numbers: Another Solo Global War AAR - 8/31/2020 9:32:13 PM   
rkr1958

Turn 11. May/June 1941. Global Map. Active Axis.

Attachment (1)

Ronnie

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 277
RE: By the Numbers: Another Solo Global War AAR - 8/31/2020 9:32:35 PM   
rkr1958

Turn 11. May/June 1941. Global Map. Active Allied.

Attachment (1)

Ronnie

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 278
RE: By the Numbers: Another Solo Global War AAR - 8/31/2020 9:33:01 PM   
rkr1958

Turn 11. May/June 1941. Victory Totals.

Attachment (1)

Ronnie

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 279
RE: By the Numbers: Another Solo Global War AAR - 9/1/2020 1:56:31 PM   
cfinch

for scripting Finland "northern front" - the soviets had garrisons on the border and the Finns were more or less only concerned with reclaiming their lands. so allow the Finns to move no further than 1 hex from their original borders (or even only into original borders) thereby forcing at least 1 or 2 garrisons to hold the rail hexes that would be ZOC'd (near Salla)
i think this would more or less follow historical pattern (the 1 or 2 garr would really be spread over a much larger section of the border but so would the Finns - more at a brigade level)
the Finns had zero interest in attacking russia (maybe there were some elements, on a roll of 10 once a year maybe the government changes? +1 or +2 if Leningrad is taken). They survived as an independent country post war due to this

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 280
RE: By the Numbers: Another Solo Global War AAR - 9/1/2020 5:28:46 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: cfinch

for scripting Finland "northern front" - the soviets had garrisons on the border and the Finns were more or less only concerned with reclaiming their lands. so allow the Finns to move no further than 1 hex from their original borders (or even only into original borders) thereby forcing at least 1 or 2 garrisons to hold the rail hexes that would be ZOC'd (near Salla)
i think this would more or less follow historical pattern (the 1 or 2 garr would really be spread over a much larger section of the border but so would the Finns - more at a brigade level)
the Finns had zero interest in attacking russia (maybe there were some elements, on a roll of 10 once a year maybe the government changes? +1 or +2 if Leningrad is taken). They survived as an independent country post war due to this
Those are sort of my thoughts too on this script.

MWiF is a fantastic game and I do like having the same hex scale for the entire map. I'm not sure many folks have made the connection, and I really hadn't until recently, but there are 360 columns (0-359) and 195 rows (0-194) of hexes.

Since columns correspond to longitude this means that the (horizontal) width of each hex is equivalent to 1-deg of longitude. That is, 360 hex columns mapped to 360-degrees of longitude.

Now to determine the (vertical) height of each hex required that the most northern and southern points on the map be pinpointed. For the north we have 4 map references that I can find which are: (1) Point Barrow, (2) Cape Bathurst, (3) Spitzbergen and (4) Novaya Zemlya. These references, respectively, have latitudes: (1) 71.4 deg, (2) 70.6 deg, (3) 78.75 deg and (4) 74.9 deg. So if I just take a straight average of these I get 73.9 deg. Given the artistic license involved in making the hex map let's just round up to 75 degrees latitude as the northern border of hex.

Now for the southern border I took three reference points: (1) Cape Horn, (2) Macquarie and (3) South Georgia, which have latitudes, respectively, of: (1) -56.0, (2) -54.5, (3) -54.1. So let's say the latitude of the southern border of the map is -55 deg latitude. This means that the 195 hex rows span approximately 130 degrees of latitude, which gives us a (vertical) height of 1.5 degrees of latitude per hex.

Lets take hex height first. The equivalent distance of 1.5 degrees of latitude is almost invariant to where you are on the earth. I say almost because the earth isn't a perfect sphere. It's an ellipsoid with a equatorial radius of 6378 km, or 3963 miles, and a polar radius of 6357 km, or 3949 miles. However, assuming a sphere and the equatorial radius, 1 degree of latitude is approximately 111 km, or 69 miles. This means that hex height is approximately 166.5 km, or 103.5 miles, no matter where you are on the map.

Now width is a bit more tricky. The equivalent distance between 1 degree of longitude does matter where you are on the earth even assuming a perfect sphere. Specifically, when assuming a sphere, 1 deg of longitude equals 111 km, or 69 miles only at the equator. At 40 degrees in latitude either north or south 1 degree shrinks to 85 km, or 53 miles. And at the poles, the distance shrinks to 0. Fortunately, the map doesn't go all the way to the poles. At the northern map edge (75 deg north), 1 degree of longitude equals 29 km, or 18 miles. At the southern edge (55 deg south), 1 degree of longitude equals 64 km, or 40 miles. Coincidentally,
the latitude of Moscow is 55.6 deg north which means that the with of a hex near Moscow is 64 km, or 40 miles.

Ok, I admit to not only going down but getting very lost in a rabbit hole. What does all this mean and where am I going with it. Let's get back to Finland and Murmansk. Murmansk is almost 69 deg north latitude, which means that a hex width near Murmansk is only 40, or 25 miles. While the height remains 166.5 km, or 103.5 miles. That's quite a bit of distortion as moving 1 hex east-west, which is a distance of 25 miles, is treated the same as moving 1 hex north-south, which is a distance of 103.5 miles.

The map distortions, unit scales (i.e., armies/corps/division) and game scope (i.e., strategic) make it very difficult to accurately reflect or model the war in this region with MWiF. To wrap up, therefore, I don't believe it's such a bad thing to script things that far north to force them to be a bit more realistic.

Ronnie

(in reply to cfinch)
Post #: 281
RE: By the Numbers: Another Solo Global War AAR - 9/1/2020 5:55:39 PM   
Grotius

Interesting rabbit hole. One mitigating factor might be the geometry of MWIF hexagons. MWIF uses hexes that have pointy tops, and that means MWIF hexes are taller than they are wide. Maybe your analysis already accounts for this?

As Amit's website on hexagons puts it, "In the pointy orientation, a hexagon has width w = sqrt(3) * size and height h = 2 * size. The sqrt(3) comes from sin(60°)," where size is the half the distance from the center of hex to a hex point. For more details, see https://www.redblobgames.com/grids/hexagons/

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 282
RE: By the Numbers: Another Solo Global War AAR - 9/1/2020 6:39:07 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

Interesting rabbit hole. One mitigating factor might be the geometry of MWIF hexagons. MWIF uses hexes that have pointy tops, and that means MWIF hexes are taller than they are wide. Maybe your analysis already accounts for this?

As Amit's website on hexagons puts it, "In the pointy orientation, a hexagon has width w = sqrt(3) * size and height h = 2 * size. The sqrt(3) comes from sin(60°)," where size is the half the distance from the center of hex to a hex point. For more details, see https://www.redblobgames.com/grids/hexagons/
Cool ... no my analysis didn't account for this correction. Let me take a look and see if I understand how to apply this correction.

Ronnie

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 283
RE: By the Numbers: Another Solo Global War AAR - 9/1/2020 7:20:45 PM   
Centuur

quote:

Strangely enough, this is only partly true. Mannerheim himself wrote after the war that there were large opposition parties who wanted to add Karelia to Finland. He silenced them by promising that if Germany would take Leningrad, he would start moving the Finnish army further into Karelia.
So I would suggest to skip the roll and simply state that if Germany controls Leningrad, the Finns can move into the USSR.

Peter

(in reply to cfinch)
Post #: 284
RE: By the Numbers: Another Solo Global War AAR - 9/1/2020 7:49:07 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

Cool ... no my analysis didn't account for this correction. Let me take a look and see if I understand how to apply this correction.

Given MWiF hex orientation with the hex points north/south, the proper definition of height is point to point which is 2 degrees in latitude or 138 miles. The width I did have correctly defined at 1 degree in longitude.

Now lets consider moving 1 hex. We can directly move 1 hex east or west, which would is equivalent to moving a distance equivalent to 1 degree in longitude.

Or we can either move 1 hex northwest, northeast, southwest or southeast. That is, we can't move directly north/south. We must zigzag to move north/south. If I've done my trig correctly (please verify if interested), if we do zigzag north/south 1 hex we move an distance equal to sqrt(4*width^2+9*height^2)/4

So below I've provide calculations below for hex width, height and approximate distance moved for 4 different latitudes. Again, if I've done my trig correctly those numbers are close to my initial numbers but fit the theory correctly. I hope that is ...

Attachment (1)

Ronnie

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 285
RE: By the Numbers: Another Solo Global War AAR - 9/1/2020 7:51:21 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

quote:

Strangely enough, this is only partly true. Mannerheim himself wrote after the war that there were large opposition parties who wanted to add Karelia to Finland. He silenced them by promising that if Germany would take Leningrad, he would start moving the Finnish army further into Karelia.
So I would suggest to skip the roll and simply state that if Germany controls Leningrad, the Finns can move into the USSR.

I like it. Simple and it makes sense. Would you allow the Finns to move into the borderlands north of Leningrad and eventually help with the siege? Did that happen historically?

Ronnie

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 286
RE: By the Numbers: Another Solo Global War AAR - 9/1/2020 11:37:15 PM   
cfinch

the e-w distortion is a reason some designs (inc original wif iirc) use map boxes. I've always been interested in trying to "distort" (ie expand as you move away from the equator) the map hexes to accommodate this such that a hex at Murmansk (25mi) would be ~2x as wide as a hex at 40 deg (53mi)

painful and probably painful to look at as well but thoughts like gaps between hexs tp show the "faster" movement etc and maybe larger and larger hexes to fill some of those gaps as you move away from the equator...

i wonder what this would make the map look like ;-)

i also wonder what it would do to the relative speed of units (maybe they are "targeted" at roughly 40 deg lat? and move to slow at extreme N/S lats but too fast at equator?) and how it might change play in the far north...

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 287
RE: By the Numbers: Another Solo Global War AAR - 9/2/2020 3:36:07 PM   
Centuur

quote:

quote:

quote:

I like it. Simple and it makes sense. Would you allow the Finns to move into the borderlands north of Leningrad and eventually help with the siege? Did that happen historically?

I would say that they are allowed to move into all Finnish controlled 1939 hexes. I would not allow them to attack Leningrad, since they stopped moving when they reached the 1939 borders of their country.
To prevent Soviet attacks on the border hexes I would lift the no-attack possibility the moment the USSR decides to attack Finnish units inside the borderlands. Historically, the Soviets only defended against the Finns until 1944.

Peter

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 288
RE: By the Numbers: Another Solo Global War AAR - 9/2/2020 5:13:35 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I would say that they are allowed to move into all Finnish controlled 1939 hexes. I would not allow them to attack Leningrad, since they stopped moving when they reached the 1939 borders of their country.
To prevent Soviet attacks on the border hexes I would lift the no-attack possibility the moment the USSR decides to attack Finnish units inside the borderlands. Historically, the Soviets only defended against the Finns until 1944.
I like it! Simple, elegant and I feel historical.

Historically, the US never declared war on Finland during WW2. They did declare war on all the other German allies (i.e., Hungary, Bulgaria, Romania). The US did severed diplomatic relations with Finland on June 30, 1944 in an effort to force Finland to seek a "settlement" with the Soviet Union and Great Britain. As I understand it an armistice was signed in Moscow on September 19, 1944.

Interestingly, the US reestablished diplomatic relations with Finland on September 1, 1945 just shortly after the end of WW2.

Ronnie

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 289
RE: By the Numbers: Another Solo Global War AAR - 9/2/2020 5:23:24 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

the e-w distortion is a reason some designs (inc original wif iirc) use map boxes. I've always been interested in trying to "distort" (ie expand as you move away from the equator) the map hexes to accommodate this such that a hex at Murmansk (25mi) would be ~2x as wide as a hex at 40 deg (53mi)

painful and probably painful to look at as well but thoughts like gaps between hexs tp show the "faster" movement etc and maybe larger and larger hexes to fill some of those gaps as you move away from the equator...

i wonder what this would make the map look like ;-)

i also wonder what it would do to the relative speed of units (maybe they are "targeted" at roughly 40 deg lat? and move to slow at extreme N/S lats but too fast at equator?) and how it might change play in the far north...

It's kind of poignant I think that the map, game scope and unit scale all three "wrapped" a bit at the northern and southern edges. Of course, it's only the northern edge that's significant as much didn't happen on land and in the air along the southern map edge.

I've seen it brought up here, but by whom I forget, that the adaptation of WiF to computer would have been a great opportunity to make a realistic 3-D world map with no edges. The link Grotius provided https://www.redblobgames.com/grids/hexagons/ included discussion on cube (3-D) hexes, which were the author's apparent preference as illustrated by his comparisons in the table below.

When I get the time I plan to really go through his article and algorithms in detail.

Attachment (1)

Ronnie

(in reply to cfinch)
Post #: 290
RE: By the Numbers: Another Solo Global War AAR - 9/3/2020 3:07:16 AM   
brian brian

I know the newest CE map had the projection and the results in near polar regions re-considered. Few games have a map that covers as much as _World_ in Flames.

There would be a simple solution to dialing in the accuracy of Scandinavia; simply re-define where the equator sits to say the 'Arctic Circle' and re-draw everything.

I have never been too concerned with such details, but using hexagons in wargaming is sometimes re-considered but I think the most common conclusion is that hexes are the best trade-off.

One of the best solutions I have ever seen was in the space RPG Traveller from the now defunct Games Designer Workshop several decades ago now. Here is how they handled mapping a planet:

In the polar regions, a 'unit' or whatever can move along the horizontal band from hex to hex in the different triangles; really with a counter it could just sit on the band itself as that is just part of the hexagon effectively. The result for the "Pole" is the tips to the triangles - one hex.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by brian brian -- 9/3/2020 3:09:44 AM >

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 291
RE: By the Numbers: Another Solo Global War AAR - 9/3/2020 2:10:13 PM   
Centuur

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I like it! Simple, elegant and I feel historical.

Historically, the US never declared war on Finland during WW2. They did declare war on all the other German allies (i.e., Hungary, Bulgaria, Romania). The US did severed diplomatic relations with Finland on June 30, 1944 in an effort to force Finland to seek a "settlement" with the Soviet Union and Great Britain. As I understand it an armistice was signed in Moscow on September 19, 1944.

Interestingly, the US reestablished diplomatic relations with Finland on September 1, 1945 just shortly after the end of WW2.

That armistice was also a diplomatic highlight for Finland. The President of Finland signed a treaty in 1944 with Germany that there would not be a one sided agreement between Finland and the Soviets. However, he didn't consult the prime minister or any other government officials. So the Finnish government was free to act and did reach an armistice with the Soviet Union, after the Finnish president resigned from office...

Peter

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 292
RE: By the Numbers: Another Solo Global War AAR - 9/3/2020 4:40:00 PM   
cfinch

re the comment to remove no-attack rule - there were attacks but iirc more skirmishes, at least beyond some northern boundary. At the scale of this game, at minimum I'd suggest a no advance rule so eliminating or retreating a Russian off the rail line would ZOC it only temporarily (until a new unit moved in). A better, i think, option would be to not allow attacks because the ones in the war would never have been at this scale (unless you are placing Divs along the border) and even at Div strength i think the highest result would be flipped.
I think the Soviets were happy harassing the border but mostly where there were some German (mountain iirc) troops holding the line. They knew they could send units to smother the Finns whenever but had more important things to do than stir a hornet's nest. Same for the Finns

re the Ge mountain troops in N Finland, after the armistice the Russians linked up with the Finns and chased the Ge troops into Norway and they then marched until they got to a railhead (not sure they may have marched most of the length of No) and thence to Oslo to hop to De and thence to the west front

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 293
RE: By the Numbers: Another Solo Global War AAR - 9/4/2020 4:55:15 AM   
Courtenay

I have always felt that the original WiF map, with its off-map hexes for the north of Finland, was a much better representation of the Finnish front than anything that put regular sized hexes up there.

The problem is that the unit density in the central Finnish front was very low, but not zero. Both sides had a few regiments there, and that was enough to stop the other side from moving through the area. This is impossible to replicate with WiF's unit scales and standard hex sizes.

(in reply to cfinch)
Post #: 294
RE: By the Numbers: Another Solo Global War AAR - 9/4/2020 4:57:24 AM   
Courtenay

In War in the Pacific, the problem of mapping a globe onto a plane was handled by giving naval and air units ranges, and stating that a hex was 60 miles across in the tropics, 50 miles in the temperate zone, and 40 miles across in the arctic.

I thought I knew how to play this game....

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 295
RE: By the Numbers: Another Solo Global War AAR - 9/4/2020 4:39:22 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: Courtenay

In War in the Pacific, the problem of mapping a globe onto a plane was handled by giving naval and air units ranges, and stating that a hex was 60 miles across in the tropics, 50 miles in the temperate zone, and 40 miles across in the arctic.
Interesting. Are those statue or nautical miles. If the later (i.e., nautical) then this implies that each hex was approximately 1 degree across in longitude.

Ronnie

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 296
RE: By the Numbers: Another Solo Global War AAR - 9/4/2020 5:02:07 PM   
cfinch

allowing for mid map differences not being too extreme it should generally work. When the scandanavia map was introduced maybe the breakdown rule is not optional for units moving into that theater, so Div only map
and maybe even allowing further break down to brigade size (max one or two Divs per side?) so you can cover what is needed with one or two corp size units (I think north of some point there was only one corp or so of Ru units protecting the frontier)

now if you want a major offensive up there it will be more to scale but (unfortunately) with a lot more units show more proper ZOC and force concentration

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 297
RE: By the Numbers: Another Solo Global War AAR - 9/7/2020 5:33:42 PM   
rkr1958

Soviet/Finnish Sietzkrieg

I'm sure one could come up with a set of house rules for 2 or more players to achieve what the following script does. I was trying to do that but decided since I'm playing this solo that wasn't necessary. I decided I would just "script" the thing and leave any such competitive house rules to those more interested and talented at rule writing that me.

The Script.

1. The script remains in effect as long as the Soviets control Leningrad.
2. Allies will garrison Murmansk with 2 Soviet army/corps and 1 division.
3. Allies will garrison Petsamo with 1 white print Finnish corps and 1 ski division.
4. Both city garrisons will be met at the end of every impulse for as long as this script remains in effect.
5. Allied units will not enter any Finnish hex outside of the borderlands.
6. Axis units will not enter any hex outside of the original borders of Finland.
7. The allies will not cut the Arctic Highway and the axis from Salla will not cut the Murmansk rail-line.
8. Finnish units, including air and naval, may only be used to attacked Leningrad if the Soviets have attack Finnish units from Leningrad or any Finnish units outside of the borderlands.

< Message edited by rkr1958 -- 9/7/2020 5:35:40 PM >

Ronnie

(in reply to cfinch)
Post #: 298
RE: By the Numbers: Another Solo Global War AAR - 9/12/2020 10:05:28 PM   
rkr1958

Turn 12. Jul/Aug 1940. CWAKE.

Attachment (1)

Ronnie

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 299
RE: By the Numbers: Another Solo Global War AAR - 9/12/2020 10:06:07 PM   
rkr1958

Turn 12. Jul/Aug 1940. Resource Lending / Grants.

Attachment (1)

Ronnie

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> RE: By the Numbers: Another Solo Global War AAR Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI