Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New windows or frames?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Lua Legion >> New windows or frames? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New windows or frames? - 9/20/2020 4:35:34 PM   
ReddZed

(copied from Mods and Scenarios who said "wrong forum"...hopefully this is more appropriate)

Hey, I've been playing with the editor and would love to model a Private Military Contractor (PMC) who have to purchase all their weapons, fuel, servicing, etc. from local markets and pick up mercenary missions etc to pay the bills.

So I'm curious, is there enough capability in the Lua environment to open custom windows to display finances, markets, maintenance...maybe even add buttons to them?

I've scanned through some of the various resources and I am not hopeful, but wanted to double check.

Thanks in advance.
Post #: 1
RE: New windows or frames? - 9/20/2020 5:42:30 PM   
TheOriginalOverlord

quote:

ORIGINAL: ReddZed

(copied from Mods and Scenarios who said "wrong forum"...hopefully this is more appropriate)

Hey, I've been playing with the editor and would love to model a Private Military Contractor (PMC) who have to purchase all their weapons, fuel, servicing, etc. from local markets and pick up mercenary missions etc to pay the bills.

So I'm curious, is there enough capability in the Lua environment to open custom windows to display finances, markets, maintenance...maybe even add buttons to them?

I've scanned through some of the various resources and I am not hopeful, but wanted to double check.

Thanks in advance.

What game is this?

Semper Fi!

Jeremy

(in reply to ReddZed)
Post #: 2
RE: New windows or frames? - 9/20/2020 6:36:59 PM   
ReddZed

I was interested in building this as a mod/scenario for CMO.

Wasn't sure if there was sufficient support/access to the game functions to do what I wanted - from what I could see in the docs, Lua is just being used for automation/scripting of existing game actions.

(in reply to TheOriginalOverlord)
Post #: 3
RE: New windows or frames? - 9/20/2020 9:45:34 PM   
KnightHawk75

The only thing you can do to spawn a window is the really the special message window which you can fill with html to display\format information. Example: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=4828868
For buttons not really other than using Special Actions that invoke an action or question with a yes\no\cancel dialog, or simple text input (ie show a simple text list and have user enter a number etc) followed by taking specific steps based on the input given.

You can sort of accomplish what you're talking about in terms of building the functionality via SA's to purchase and manage stocks or take missions etc but it's not gonna be 'pretty' persay. If one could use full LUA (perhaps with pro version) with external module access and io namespace re-enabled, instead of the sandboxed version, you could easily do what you wanted by just invoking and building your own .net winforms etc.

< Message edited by KnightHawk75 -- 9/20/2020 9:47:53 PM >

(in reply to ReddZed)
Post #: 4
RE: New windows or frames? - 9/21/2020 12:44:25 AM   
Rory Noonan

Hey ReddZed,

Like the others mentioned, the Command Lua API has a set of user interaction options that primarily rely on the Special Action functionality and pop-ups. In the past I've used this to allow players to 'order' munitions and request reinforcements etc, it works pretty well.

If there's something specific you need let us know and we'll look at adding it

(in reply to KnightHawk75)
Post #: 5
RE: New windows or frames? - 9/21/2020 9:39:59 AM   
ReddZed

Thanks KnightHawk75 - that has both answered my question and given me some food for thought on how I might be able to implement some of this idea.

Rory Noonan - it's VERY early days for this idea, but I'll certainly let you know :)

(in reply to Rory Noonan)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Lua Legion >> New windows or frames? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI