Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Aussiematto (Allies) v amandkm (Axis) AAR 1.07 full game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> AAR >> Aussiematto (Allies) v amandkm (Axis) AAR 1.07 full game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Aussiematto (Allies) v amandkm (Axis) AAR 1.07 full game - 9/22/2020 12:42:36 AM   
amandkm

And now comes round two, swapping sides, can I manage to change History?

Japan moves cautiously, advancing upon Changshi, overwhelming an exposed Chinese Corps. In the Mediterranean, the Italians take advantage of relative peace to get some needed training time.

News of Polish outrages leads to war, and the Luftwaffe, having crept into forward positions, leads the way with a three-wave assault upon Warsaw. Combined with Infantry and Armor strike, the Capital falls in short order. Surely surrender will soon follow, but the brave Poles do not yet capitulate, even with the heavy losses suffered.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by amandkm -- 9/22/2020 11:56:15 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Aussiematto (Allies) v amandkm (Axis) AAR 1.07 full... - 9/23/2020 1:01:48 AM   
amandkm

A second series of attacks destroys several Polish formations, leading the Rydz-Smigly regime to sue for peace. In the west, a French advance into the Saar is repulsed and a riposte nearly destroys a French army in the field. Central China is the scene of the bloodiest fighting in the east, as a Chinese army cowering behind fortifications, is routed. The Axis are content for their performance to date, but the entry of several of the Commonwealth nations into the war is sobering news indeed.

(in reply to amandkm)
Post #: 2
RE: Aussiematto (Allies) v amandkm (Axis) AAR 1.07 full... - 9/24/2020 6:44:02 AM   
Aussiematto

Outrageous fascist aggression in Poland cannot be ignored. Even Chamberlain demands action. France and Britain "come to Poland's aid" by sitting quietly in their barracks and ports, aside from the desultory advance into the Saar, followed by a hasty retreat. Poles are not surprised, given the history of their nation, and nevertheless continue the fight until utterly overwhelmed. China reacts like a lumbering sleeping dragon, slowly getting itself into position to avenge the brutal invasion. Raw consscript peasants, armed with muskets and a few rifles, are no match for Japanese skill. Changsha looks doomed!

Meanwhile Stalin initiates 5-MONTH plan for technology development and wonders if it was wise killing off all his generals except the dumb party loyalists...

< Message edited by Aussiematto -- 9/26/2020 10:59:28 PM >

I still remember cardboard!

(in reply to amandkm)
Post #: 3
RE: Aussiematto (Allies) v amandkm (Axis) AAR 1.07 full... - 9/24/2020 2:59:14 PM   
John B.

Hooray for another AAR!

(in reply to Aussiematto)
Post #: 4
RE: Aussiematto (Allies) v amandkm (Axis) AAR 1.07 full... - 9/25/2020 12:48:46 AM   
amandkm

More slow, but measurable progress in China, as two more armies are mown down by the Veteran Japanese Army. The Chinese have a seemingly bottomless well of manpower, though.

In the West, forces freed with the fall of Poland are given leave to visit home. Funny how many seem to live near the Low Countries, though...

< Message edited by amandkm -- 9/25/2020 2:20:03 AM >

(in reply to amandkm)
Post #: 5
RE: Aussiematto (Allies) v amandkm (Axis) AAR 1.07 full... - 9/25/2020 5:53:01 AM   
Aussiematto

China reels at the onslaught! General Feng marshalls a defence of Yanku, and sends emissaries to Mao pleading for help. General Zhu holds Chengchow, throwing back an overeager army at the northern defences. Peng maintains a watching brief opposite Wuhan... armies there not yet engaged in their deep defences. And China dispatches Xue to provide command in the south, where Changsha is under severe threat from elite armies: he ordered III Corps to make a heroic sacrifice in front of the city, knowing all too well this unit will be tossed aside and every man killed. Nothing yet threatens Nanning, but the troops look nervously over their river line to the quiet Jap forces there.

Spies reveal that, contrary to some forecasts, the Axis forces are focused on immediate building and deployment - limited new research is currently being undertaken though in time that will change, no doubt.

No real sign yet of the U-boat menace: is the Kriegsmarine plotting something more daring or hiding its strength for later? Equally the RN is comfortable to let Norway earn its keep propping up the Nazi economy... they will keep!

And now Tommy waves across the Libyan border to some Italians who are enjoying a late-year holiday in the sand. Hm. I wonder what they are up to?

(in reply to amandkm)
Post #: 6
RE: Aussiematto (Allies) v amandkm (Axis) AAR 1.07 full... - 9/26/2020 1:34:28 AM   
Aussiematto

III Corps has been duly sacrificed to defend the women and children of Changsha... utterly destroyed and yet, now the 12th Army steps forward to seek glory in total war. Furious research efforts are underway to build weapons that might give China a fighting chance, even as its paltry airforce is shot from the skies by IJN pilots, practicing no doubt for a sterner foe in the Pacific in coming years. The SHQ ponders the battle field - so far, Japan is moving slowly. The 3-army and air assault on Changsha is as many predicted but the cluster of armies defending Tsingyuan is a surprise. Perhaps they mean to assault the north? And, south, our trade still survives - no sense yet of Nanning being a target and Chnegchow has been probed but not attacked

Everywhere else, it's the phony war...

Post #: 7
RE: Aussiematto (Allies) v amandkm (Axis) AAR 1.07 full... - 9/26/2020 3:04:48 AM   
amandkm

Early snow freezes the Western front, given the lack of allied action, perhaps they intend to sue for peace? That foxy Chamberlain could be up to something...

Combined air and land strikes send the 12th army into the undying lands to join their fellows, yet perhaps their sacrifice was not in vain, as they manage to shoot down a number of Japanese planes. Combined Fleet HQ notes with concern just how slow their pilot training programs take. Perhaps some thought should be paid to that?

Post #: 8
RE: Aussiematto (Allies) v amandkm (Axis) AAR 1.07 full... - 9/27/2020 2:05:39 AM   
Cpuncher

I nominate this one for the best AAR award. Very pleasant to read and gives a clear picture of the situation. It will be nicer though if there can be a month/date associated with the actions. Also we are still demanding screenshots (like the old saying: a picture is worth 1000 ...).

(in reply to amandkm)
Post #: 9
RE: Aussiematto (Allies) v amandkm (Axis) AAR 1.07 full... - 9/27/2020 4:00:57 AM   
amandkm

Feb 1940, Brussels falls and French forces are pushed back, the remaining Belgian forces mopped up in short order. A probing corps takes Lille and finds a line of British Defenders from the Channel to the neighborhood of Paris. Tommy is making a stand.

In the east, two more Chinese armies are gravely damaged, but neither destroyed. (Note: I had destroyed one in my first move, but the PBEM server didn't upload the move, so I had to redo it, with lesser results)

Also, I had a picture, but it was from the first move, so have to wait a month before I am able to illustrate the offensive/

(in reply to Cpuncher)
Post #: 10
RE: Aussiematto (Allies) v amandkm (Axis) AAR 1.07 full... - 9/27/2020 4:45:55 PM   
amandkm

Mar 1940, The blitzkrieg continues, as a demoralized French army disintegrates under German attack. Off Kenya, the Graff Spee sights a flotilla of transports and, after ordering them to heave to, opens fire, sending the Smuts HQ to a watery grave.

Weather in the north of China freezes the lines in place, but continued attacks off Changsha claim another Chinese army, and the last line of fortification screening the city are destroyed. Surely the city cannot long hold?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by amandkm -- 9/27/2020 4:47:07 PM >

(in reply to amandkm)
Post #: 11
RE: Aussiematto (Allies) v amandkm (Axis) AAR 1.07 full... - 9/28/2020 1:04:17 AM   
amandkm

April, 1940. The German push continues, with the maginot line being pierced and French armies screening Paris being swept aside. A panzer division, under sustained air assault, reels backward in disarray, but reserves are deployed to sustain the assault.

The RN belatedly finds Graff Spee and does significant damage, but not quite sinking the raider.

In China, no armies are lost, but heavy losses are inflicted upon the Chinese defenders.

(Tale of the tape, Chinese losses stay above the MPP line, so they are getting weaker

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by amandkm -- 9/28/2020 11:44:48 PM >

(in reply to amandkm)
Post #: 12
RE: Aussiematto (Allies) v amandkm (Axis) AAR 1.07 full... - 9/28/2020 1:53:34 AM   
Aussiematto

So the fight continues.

In China, Xue commands a line of corps, holding Nanning, Kwelin, and Hengyang, with no real,pressure there.General Peng is responsible for Changsha where all the action is. The forts are gone and armies hold the city and the road to the west. New forces are being thrown in there. A brave thrust disrupted his medium bombers and now the battered corps retreats to safety. Zhu n Feng hold the north, both responsible for Chengchow. A single Japanese army is battered but survives. I have ordered some limited offensive action there but worry about losses and morale. My engineers are hard at work in the south where the main pressure will soon breach my line. Thinking ahead, SHQ is planning a retreat to the mountains around Chungking. While losses are worse than new troops, I have made a decent defence I think.

Off Africa, we find the Graf Spee and sink it and now go after the Deutschland, sighted off Capetown. The loss of Smuts is a heavy blow, however.

France is a mess. April, heavy rain, and the french army is in tatters. Only the Brits stand between Paris and the nazi horde. Last ditch recruitment stiffens the line but the end is near. Meanwhile Mussolini seems to be gearing up for war ... what to do?

(in reply to amandkm)
Post #: 13
RE: Aussiematto (Allies) v amandkm (Axis) AAR 1.07 full... - 9/28/2020 3:01:47 AM   
amandkm

May 1940, A British Corps is shattered, but buys time for the French defending Paris to... what? Reports are reaching High Command of French troops abandoning their positions holding the Maginot line. Heartened, the offensive presses on.

A quick thrust into Egypt seizes the Siwa Oasis.

In the Indian Ocean, the Graf Spee is avenged as a British Cruiser joins it on the bottom.

China sees another month of dead and dying Chinese defenders. They are holding up the attack, though, and Tojo is beginning to have doubts, as the Chinese have a seemingly bottomless well of manpower.

Post #: 14
RE: Aussiematto (Allies) v amandkm (Axis) AAR 1.07 full... - 9/28/2020 4:25:31 AM   
Aussiematto

Stalin receives reports of the growing fascist menace and while, for now, he hides his forward armies in the digital fog, he orders intensive preparations to be made, investing in certain technologies which might prove useful, while ordering other wasteful research to stop, due to the objective conditions of correct historical development. It is not giving too much away to say that, as in other parallel WaW universes, the aircraft engineers have been retrained as trench diggers! But, as for the rest, Beria keeps all secrets secret indeed.

France deploys its last hope, a heavy tank regiment to defend paris. C&C is shot, with one HQ busted and another barely functioning. Brits run from paris and the last army moves into their defensive works. Meanwhile, Weygand orders all troops that can to flee to British territory to continue the fight, joining those sneaky Spanish engineers who are toiling in the desert of Egypt. The RN observes subs in the Indian ocean but scores hits on the Deutschland, elsewhere its carriers hammer a foolish Italian corps probing into Egypt, just 1/10th of the corps remains after bombers and infantry smash it.. no doubt to beat a retreat!

Japan gets keen, testing and probing along the line but China holds and another army of brave peasants is raised, deployed, and prepares to die. Basically, every time the three elite armies from Japan kill an army outside Changsha, i replace it. Not perfect but ... holds them off for now. I rebuild the casualties of the last brutal battle and strengthen the line in the north. So far, so good. Probably Yamamoto is benefiting, with shiny new naval toys!? Lots of research, not much building.

Meanwhile, great relief in Allied ranks. Now iceland has joined, victory is assured! :)

(in reply to amandkm)
Post #: 15
RE: Aussiematto (Allies) v amandkm (Axis) AAR 1.07 full... - 9/28/2020 11:40:10 AM   
amandkm

Curses! The Rakehells from Reykjavík shall be our doom! Unless, just maybe, Iraq rallies to our side?

Post #: 16
RE: Aussiematto (Allies) v amandkm (Axis) AAR 1.07 full... - 9/28/2020 11:42:52 PM   
amandkm

June, 40

Continued movement in France, but at a slowing pace. Allies are doing a good job of slowing the inevitable. Meanwhile, French North African forces attack the Italian Garrison in Libya, and cruisers in the Indian Ocean bleed each other- but the British are closer to repair than the Deutschland.

In China, another Chinese army defending Changsha is obliterated.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by amandkm -- 9/28/2020 11:45:02 PM >

(in reply to amandkm)
Post #: 17
RE: Aussiematto (Allies) v amandkm (Axis) AAR 1.07 full... - 9/29/2020 12:46:19 AM   
Aussiematto

Let's focus on France. It's the end of June and, broadly speaking, I am pleased with the defence so far. It's likely Paris falls next turn but, possibly, France will hang on until August since the Italians are just doing a holding operation and Lyon and Marseilles look safe for now. I have not been doing screen shots (too much to give away) but if you look back at the nice graphic from amandkm, I will step you through what happened.

The Char-bis tanks of the heavy mob attacked the paras - 3 hits to 2. This is good. reduces that para unit nicely. I reinforced everything else as much as I could and just am hanging on to Paris. 4 entrenchment by the start of amandkm's next turn but, sadly, the bombers will do their work and the city is doomed. The Brits, sensing that all is lost, are running for the coast in an unseemly rush. The garrison in Le Havre will provide cover even if it is destroyed. The RAF redeploys to the UK to stave off Sealion should that be on the cards. My hunch is not, since amandkm is playing cautiously but let's see. Can I get the BEF and its corps in support out in time?

The RN is doing good work. The Deutshland blundered into a naval asset off Madagascar and has been sunk. The sub is now being shadowed by a destroyer. Meanwhile a cruiser that attempted to sneak into the Channel has been bombed, shelled and torpedoed to the bottom. Oh, the French navy did help a bit ;). No reason to hide it, I've also now deployed the RN to cover the seaborne retreat just in case the Kriegsmarine is massing somewhere. There's no sign of the majority of the subs (no action on the convoy lanes) so one needs to be careful.

Meanwhile in Africa and the Middle East...

Iraq has indeed decided to establish at Baathist regime and we are punishing it with sanctions, while the Indians prepare to occupy it sooner or later. The Italians are holding in the Libyan desert, having nearly smashed my desert recce force and we are building strength there while the commonwealth troops start to destroy the East African Italians. Carriers deploy into the Gulf to lend support as Platt leads a Sudanese corps against the eager East African garrison which, surprisingly, moved against Khartoum. Massawa will be easier as a result. Boers engage the troops in Ethiopia but it's not decisive. The decision to fight hard in France has meant we are underresourced there. I am doing the usual supply interdiction in the med while the French have attacked Tripoli without limited success. That was probably an error, despite me using 2 corps (covering Tunis with the Madagascan garrison to keep metropolitan morale high). I am wondering if, instead, I should have shifted an HQ there and the airpower? They never seem to do much good in France. The Italian destroyer has escaped into the gulf, by the way, which was a side effect of having to chase down the German cruisers. The carriers can deal with it.

China continues to be a bloodbath at Changsha. Without entrenchments, another army crumbles and the IJN is getting good at close air support (I am realising that massing the IJN carriers near Nanning is useless - the terrain bonus is too high - so good play by amandkm to hit units in open fields). But, we are rebuilding all the time, and some new tactics have been deployed, improving morale. China's holding action is, most likely, just ensuring that the IJN is at full strength for the pacific war: I am not so much defending China, as amandkm is not attacking it.

The game feels neatly poised. While not every game ends up as a Russo-German death match, this one looks like it will (I have one at the moment vs another opponent where it is September and my Russkis are entrenched on the Dnepr, still holding Smolensk, Kiev, Dnepropetrovks, Polotsk, etc, and the only threat is massed panzers breaching the defensive works near Leningrad one turn earlier than expected ... but, in that game, the Brits have taken terrible naval losses and are desperately holding Cairo - only my decision to build a Brit engineer unit is saving me, while the fact three Italian armies were deployed to East Africa is draining my Indian manpower badly).

(in reply to amandkm)
Post #: 18
RE: Aussiematto (Allies) v amandkm (Axis) AAR 1.07 full... - 9/29/2020 3:23:05 PM   
amandkm

Jul, 1940

Good and Bad... with a little indifferent thrown in.

Bad first, France holds out! I had him teed up but launched my Paratroops too soon. If I'd waited, I could have waltzed into Paris. Now he has one more month, which will compress my Balkan timetable to an annoying extent.

Indifferent. The French attack on Tripoli does nothing, and The Egyptian Front is doubtless being fortified by French Engineers (Another annoyance of missing my timetable for France)

Good. Changsha falls, and with it, I shift the balance there further in my favor. Taking MPP away from China, adding to Japan, and inflicting far more losses than I've taken. It is a slow sort of war, as opposed to the Storms in France, but it is enough for now, to allow me needed time and space, openings for future gains, and a growing economy, which will prove vital in the coming years.

On balance, I thin we are about even at this point. I am a little behind in Europe, and a little ahead in Asia.

Post #: 19
RE: Aussiematto (Allies) v amandkm (Axis) AAR 1.07 full... - 9/29/2020 9:07:57 PM   
amandkm

Aug, 1940 After a ferocious defense, France sues for peace. Took about two months longer than I'd planned, so Balkans will have to be done on a tight schedule now.

Asia is comparatively quiet, for a change.

(in reply to amandkm)
Post #: 20
RE: Aussiematto (Allies) v amandkm (Axis) AAR 1.07 full... - 9/30/2020 1:33:27 AM   
amandkm

Late Aug, 1940. The Italian Navy, absorbed with evading RN task forces, stumbles across a convoy reinforcing Egypt, but is too spent to do more than minor damage, as the Wermacht takes a well-earned rest after forcing the French surrender.

Fortune smiles upon the greater East Asian Co-Prosperity sphere, though, as the Japanese drive past Changsha gains momentum, taking Hengyang and with only disorganized remnants of Chinese corps facing them, one of which is destroyed by the quartet of elite Japanese armies. Fighting also picks up near Chengchow as well.

(in reply to amandkm)
Post #: 21
RE: Aussiematto (Allies) v amandkm (Axis) AAR 1.07 full... - 9/30/2020 9:28:19 AM   
Aussiematto

All hands to the wheel! Man the pumps!

The torrent of aggression laps at the shores of England but, no doubt, the bruising long campaign in France has earned the plucky Brits a reprieve from invasion. While the BEF deploys back home , bolstering already impressive defences, Lord Gort undertakes a perilous trip to Egypt, barely escaping the Regia Marina’s attention. He is accompanied by at least one infantry unit, building our desert army and ensuring full command and control.

The RM, eager to sink that transport, falls into the eastern med trap, losing a sub, destroyer, and battleship! Meanwhile carriers appear west of Malta and another of Mussolini’s outmatched battle wagons sinks, torped by destroyers. The med looks to be a bright spot in the gloom, with 3 indian corps hammering on Baghdad’s front door and carrier borne fighter-bombers hitting the Italians besieging Kismayo. The out of supply Italians simply fold and die, 7 to nothing in one turn. Addis is cornered, and low. massawa will be longer ... a corps digs in.

China is ... poised. Yes, Changsha has gone and some rear guards were brutally slaughtered, but Nanning and Chengshow still hold. It is October and the weapons factories are beginning to work now. 8 corps and 4 armies have perished but a line of forts awaits those elite Jap infantry. The weather will turn to our favour too. The continued quietude of three Japanese armies near Yanku makes us ponder what the real plan is?

Side note: all four french units in Brit territory ****ed off when Paris surrendered. At. Least i have some forts, but I doubt I will ever use them ... o’Connor is planning the desert ride!

Jolly good fun, against a testing opponent!

(in reply to amandkm)
Post #: 22
RE: Aussiematto (Allies) v amandkm (Axis) AAR 1.07 full... - 10/2/2020 2:53:37 AM   
amandkm

Oct, 1940

The Netherlands, having hoped to avoid the war, find that, when their turn came, they were all alone. They fall at the first onslaught. Heavy losses are inflicted upon the British Army in Western Egypt, while in Asia, the Japanese encounter the last Chinese line (until the next one) defending Kweichow. Another city changes hands as Kwelin falls, and more Chinese are lost than their economy can replace.

Spirits are high in the Axis capitals

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by amandkm -- 10/2/2020 2:57:18 AM >

Post #: 23
RE: Aussiematto (Allies) v amandkm (Axis) AAR 1.07 full... - 10/2/2020 5:02:07 AM   
Aussiematto

O Connor makes errors in the desert and Churchill demands answers! Of course,it was Churchill who initially demanded aggressive action....the sub hunt goes on, with one downed off Scotland, and now the RN needs to find the one off Spain. Meanwhile, nothing can be done about the one in the Indian ocean, since the med remains a dangerous place. The Luftwaffe slaughters the Albacore torpedo bombers over Sycracuse ... east africa is stubbornly defended. Only the prompt conquest of Iraq (which Germany gave up on in the face of 3 Indian corps) is a bright spot to a bad month.

China digs in. Forts block the Southern road to the capital, while the engineers are sent north. Kwelin indeed falls but Nanning will be defended to the hilt. New weapons are provided and at least some comfort comes from the slow progress around Yanku. Mao remains inscrutable, however...

(in reply to amandkm)
Post #: 24
RE: Aussiematto (Allies) v amandkm (Axis) AAR 1.07 full... - 10/2/2020 9:34:16 PM   
amandkm

Nov, 1940 The Italians absolve the British Army of any responsibility for their actions with a series of attacks that smash the unit beyond any hopes of rallying together. The desert is stained with Italian and British blood, and to what end?

German forces move southwest through the alps, skiers no doubt, looking for a jolly holiday near Sarajevo, or Belgrade, perhaps...

In China, the advance begins to slow, but attacks are launched with the goal of further attrition the Chinese defenders.

Post #: 25
RE: Aussiematto (Allies) v amandkm (Axis) AAR 1.07 full... - 10/4/2020 3:46:02 AM   
amandkm

Jan, 1941, A convoy of tanks bound for Egypt is intercepted and sank by the RN. As the lines freeze in place, word from the Balkans of the fall of Belgrade sends shockwaves through Europe.

In the East, the attack on Southern China begins as wave after wave of Japanese planes pound the corps holding Nanning, followed by attacks in Echelon from three sides. Battered, the corps disintegrates and the city falls in a month, severing foreign trade with the outside world.

(in reply to amandkm)
Post #: 26
RE: Aussiematto (Allies) v amandkm (Axis) AAR 1.07 full... - 10/7/2020 1:25:59 AM   
Aussiematto

The Nazi horde has stormed into the Motherland and all comrades are called to arms! Comrade Stalin leads the heroic defence of the workers and peasants paradise himself!

It is July, and the reports flood into Stavka of the necessary measures that Marxist Leninist doctrine demands we take.

Meretskov commands the northern front, with two armies and two corps holding the line between Riga and Daugavpils. He holds firm as two or more panzer divisions approach, with infantry in support. Our armored train harrasses one of the panzer units without effect and withdraws. Timoshenko reports he has arranged a strong defence at Orsha, covering the Smolensk defensive works. While Zhukov is unable to stop the defeat of Kiev’s defenders, attacked by bombers and tanks, the Germans are unable to occupy and XVI corps marxhes bravely to its doom to reoccupy the city. There is no time for them to entrench, so their fate is sealed next month. Will they buy time for the 2 corps and 2 armies behind the river! Dnepropetrovsk is handily covered by an army which reminds a Bulgarian corps how tough the fighting will be. And, in Leningrad, Voroshilov screens the Finnish attempt to recover the ithsmus while engineers dig and dig to thwart the impending panzer thrust from the south. The Baltic fleet cuts off possible German naval movement of troops to the north. Heroes of the revolution! We cannot say more for fear of spies but there is movement and planning across the great socialist nation.

The Brits are now redeploying from East Africa. Siwa oasis is back in the hands of the desert army but more importantly, Indian troops counter the italians from Mersa Matruh. Tactical bombers and carrier borne attacks destroy the battered 10th Italian army. 7th armored charges forward, bashes a german corps, then swaps so the Indians dan dig in. The germans appear to lack an HQ so more indians flood forward. Benghazi and Tobruk are blocked by the RN. Most of the Regia Marina is sunk and thus the RN controls the sealanes. All goes well, though Turkey’s growing closeness to Hitler is a concern and our diplomats go to work with sacks of gold...

On the arctic convoy route the RN also shows its mastery. Older class U boats, no tech, start to be picked off. Carriers and destroyers work in tandem, with battleships used for spotting. The cruisers Suffolk and Norfolk sink a destroyer that should be back in port, but then run into the Bismark. Ouch! We also deploy destroyers south, noting subs off Spain and withdraw from the blockading in Brittany. The RN strategy has been patience this game, aided by early defeats of some KM assets which mean we have a lot of superiority in numbers.

Meanwhile, in China, there have been some reverses but the line is strong. Xue has four armies and two corps, many in forts, holding kweichow and chungking from the south. Peng still holds the line at Wuhan, with three armies and several corps. Xue counter attacks against Chengchow doing damage but a few survivors hang on! We still have weapons parity so China feels safe for now. The USA took a dim view of Japan invading Indochina last turn ... when will they join?

(in reply to amandkm)
Post #: 27
RE: Aussiematto (Allies) v amandkm (Axis) AAR 1.07 full... - 10/21/2020 1:54:49 AM   
Aussiematto

Churchill is staggered by the sudden appearance in England of 3 FSJ divisions AND some elite Nazi special forces! Home Guard mobilises and the RN is recalled to help defend these green and pleasant lands. The shock is overwhelming, all the more so because the Western Desert is full of the main British force, battering away at stubborn German units around Tobruk. The campaign in the desert is slow, this time, because a German army and corps, even without HQ, take some shifting. India is doing its bit but now we wonder if some might be needed back home?

The Sealion invasion may have something to do with the slow Axis progress in China and Russia. It's December 1941 and although the Dnepr is cleared, comrades hold strong positions before Rostov, the defences at Smolensk and Gomel are not even in the front line, and only now is a blitzkrieg developing towards Leningrad. China struggles on - not doing that well, but better than sometimes. A stray army sits in Canton maing sure Hong Kong is safe, for now. Key cities remain in Allied hands as the main effort of Jap aggression shifts to the pacific where the DEI have fallen, New Guinea surrenders and the Phillipines and Hawaii are under threat. My error in defending Singapore lightly will prove an error - it falls next turn.

the war is at a tipping point now: Germany has opened up its own second front on the beaches and playing fields of England. What to do?????

Post #: 28
RE: Aussiematto (Allies) v amandkm (Axis) AAR 1.07 full... - 10/26/2020 2:47:31 AM   
Aussiematto

In case anyone is wondering, Sealion has taken on a distinctLy Welsh flavour. Hampered by the poor performance in Russia, this daring gambit has produced a maelstrom of Nazis in the UK. All of wales is now occupied by italians, romanians, slovaks and germans, with paras and special forces holed up in England proper. However, i managed to get battleships into action at Bristol and the port is stuffed now. Supply has run out and my mixed bag of brits, mostly AA, Home guard, RAF and a couple of armies are starting to get on top. Canadians transported into Plymouth and the US 1st army arrived. I THINK i have saved the Uk.

This probably spells the end of the game. China is static, the IJN took a pounding off Hawaii and while Singapore has fallen, we snuck into Thailand and are threatening Indochina. The Chinese army in Canton did sterling, work holding up the attack on HK so Thailand did not fall. Phillipines still in allied hands though SF swarm the islands! Turkey lurched to the far right and my Indians in Iraq now have some work to do ...

Post #: 29
RE: Aussiematto (Allies) v amandkm (Axis) AAR 1.07 full... - 10/28/2020 6:23:16 AM   
Aussiematto

Thanks to amandkm ... gave me a real fight and fright in this one.

We end up with the Germans battered into submission in Wales, at some cost to the Allies in production, research and a Few naval assets. Russia is holding as planned, around Smolensk, Leningrad, etc. only Rostov is under threat. Finland under pressure. Turkey came in but, because I had parked a large Indian outfit in Iraq, plus Sudanese, this probably was not a wise move by the Turks. We are landing Brits on the coast and, I suspect, Greece will soon join the war on our side.

Only the Japs are scoring well ... but China remains a stalemate. i still have Chengchow, for now, though it falls next turn.but i am breaking through towards Henyang (all the armies are up north), and the Chinese light tanks are scooting up the Indon highway. The big win was Hawaii, but at thr cost of 3 CV

Oh, and French partisans took Paris for a turn before they were wiped put by pzgrenadiers!

Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> AAR >> Aussiematto (Allies) v amandkm (Axis) AAR 1.07 full game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI