Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT: Russian Warship Collision

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: Russian Warship Collision Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT: Russian Warship Collision - 9/23/2020 3:14:08 PM   
BBfanboy

It appears the USN isn't the only navy to suffer the misfortune of collision with commercial ships ...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-shipping-crash-denmark/russian-navy-vessel-container-ship-collide-in-danish-waters-idUSKCN26E1UI

< Message edited by Admiral DadMan -- 9/23/2020 3:35:50 PM >

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Post #: 1
RE: OT: Russian Warship Collision - 9/23/2020 4:12:38 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

It appears the USN isn't the only navy to suffer the misfortune of collision with commercial ships ...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-shipping-crash-denmark/russian-navy-vessel-container-ship-collide-in-danish-waters-idUSKCN26E1UI

Bumper ships!

But how does Switzerland build and launch merchant ships? I don't think that the river there are really large enough to send large merchant ships down them.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2
RE: OT: Russian Warship Collision - 9/23/2020 4:40:08 PM   
fcooke

A little odd. Why would a small ASW ship need to be in Danish waters (assuming the article has its facts straight).

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3
RE: OT: Russian Warship Collision - 9/23/2020 8:12:18 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: fcooke

A little odd. Why would a small ASW ship need to be in Danish waters (assuming the article has its facts straight).

Could have been transiting to the Atlantic. Not sure if the Skagerrak and Kattegat are considered international or Danish/Norwegian waters.
But most likely, the Russians had some other excuse like a port visit so that they could gather intel on NATO strength/activities in the area. I base this on the way they have used subs to probe into Norwegian and Swedish waters, and sometimes got caught.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 4
RE: OT: Russian Warship Collision - 9/23/2020 8:13:20 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Bumper ships!

But how does Switzerland build and launch merchant ships? I don't think that the river there are really large enough to send large merchant ships down them.

Switzerland only needed to build the flag it carries and collect the licensing fee for using it.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 5
RE: OT: Russian Warship Collision - 9/23/2020 8:35:49 PM   
GetAssista

Russians collided with Swiss ship you say? I smell some money laundering scheme

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 6
RE: OT: Russian Warship Collision - 9/23/2020 9:27:46 PM   
Walloc

Its common for Russian warships to transit Danish waters. Any transferes between the Baltic fleet and Northern Fleet by default will hafta transit danish waters. For what ever reason training, repairs, transferes, visiting for fleet day(around this day there usually an increased number) and more nefarious reason if you want to go down that path. Theoriticly they could use the Kieler kanal, but i dont think its ever used. I doubt the russians want ships in so constricted waters. This is some thing that happens several times a month on average with danish authorization and russian notification. Usually they transit the Great Belt, but smaller ships can go through Øresund. As mentioned in this article there was severly limited visibility in Øresund this morning. Fog limiting the visibility to between 20m to 50m according to DK newspapers.

Kind regards,
Rasmus

< Message edited by Walloc -- 9/23/2020 9:33:15 PM >

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 7
RE: OT: Russian Warship Collision - 9/23/2020 9:58:46 PM   
fcooke

Thanks for that info. It seems like the USN and the Russians don't know how to use radar.

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 8
RE: OT: Russian Warship Collision - 9/23/2020 10:16:10 PM   
RangerJoe

It was at a bridge so there would have been interference with radar.

― Julia Child

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 9
RE: OT: Russian Warship Collision - 9/23/2020 10:22:50 PM   
Walloc

https://politiken.dk/indland/art7935727/Russisk-milit%C3%A6rfart%C3%B8j-er-st%C3%B8dt-sammen-med-fragtskib-ved-%C3%98resundsbroen

Map with location of the incident. I doubt it had any thing to do with interference from the bridge. Thats 10-15km from the bridge.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 10
RE: OT: Russian Warship Collision - 9/23/2020 11:23:57 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Walloc

https://politiken.dk/indland/art7935727/Russisk-milit%C3%A6rfart%C3%B8j-er-st%C3%B8dt-sammen-med-fragtskib-ved-%C3%98resundsbroen

Map with location of the incident. I doubt it had any thing to do with interference from the bridge. Thats 10-15km from the bridge.

I don't read Danish. But this is what the original article stated with no actual distance:

quote:

A Russian navy vessel collided with a Swiss-owned container ship in Danish waters on Wednesday near the Oresund Bridge linking Denmark and Sweden, Danish defence authorities told Reuters.

The article that you posted with the map does not have any kind of distance legend on it. I have not yet been in that area so I don't know the distances personally.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 11
RE: OT: Russian Warship Collision - 9/24/2020 3:21:55 AM   
Walloc

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe
The article that you posted with the map does not have any kind of distance legend on it. I have not yet been in that area so I don't know the distances personally.

No, but i have been. My father lives on the DK side of the bridge and my younger brother lives on the Swedish side of the bridge. So you will either have to trust me or not. Thats 10-15km.
Legend on google earth said 11,98 km to roughly that area. Toke me 15 secs or so to check.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 12
RE: OT: Russian Warship Collision - 9/24/2020 7:58:35 PM   
Orm

Sweden just objected to Russian intrusions into Swedish air space, and Swedish waters. And recent Russia exercises near Gotland has caused Sweden to send reinforcements to the area.

With that said it is more common that Danish, or US, intrude into Swedish air space. Although when the Russians do it they are often very aggressive.

A few years ago the Russian air force simulated nuclear air strikes against Sweden (twice if I recall correctly).

6 years ago.
https://www.vice.com/sv/article/dpwk4q/why-is-russian-military-hanging-out-on-swedish-territory

And more recent (posted a couple of weeks ago).
Sweden Raises Alarm over Russian Military Exercises
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKfIAc-EV4Q

Some time ago this picture was leaked. It was taken from a Swedish signal intelligence plane flying well inside Swedish air space.

Attachment (1)

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 13
RE: OT: Russian Warship Collision - 9/25/2020 5:52:31 AM   
Fishbed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Some time ago this picture was leaked. It was taken from a Swedish signal intelligence plane flying well inside Swedish air space.

Perhaps we might want to be careful about the sort of info we spread. This was taken in international airspace (unless the reports I have read were wrong). This Su-27 didn't intrude into Swedish air space, nor was the Swedish plane inside Russian air space of course.

Doesn't make the Su-27's intimidation legal or acceptable of course, just saying we have a fighter playing with its food on a plane that is obviously collecting SIGINT, perhaps in the vicinity of Kaliningrad. And when we say "international airspace", in reality it simply means anything beyond 12 nautical miles, which means that spy planes might very well fly less than 30 klicks from the coastline they monitor - and know very well that it's a dangerous game that is played both ways (sometimes tragically if we take the US Orion Hainan incident in 2001 as an example). It's been decades, that's what these guys are paid for - on both sides of the aisle.

The Russians enjoy scaring these intel teams with gross intimidation (not switching on transponders, flying in a dangerous way). The Swedish complain, call it provocative but never take actual action, because obviously the plane ain't sightseeing (although obviously the Swedes having found pieces of Russian naval equipment, sometimes whole, along their coast, are well-aware of how this sort of intel gathering activity feels to the monitored side). Part of the deal, until something stupid happens.

< Message edited by Fishbed -- 9/25/2020 6:12:03 AM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 14
RE: OT: Russian Warship Collision - 9/25/2020 10:11:59 AM   
Walloc

Agreeing with both posters here. You should be carefull about the info you spread, but the experience from the Danish air force and cooperating NATO air assets. Is that training in the Baltic in international airspace you have seen a change in russian behaviour in the last 5-10 years.

Just a month ago a Su 27 violated danish airspace and followed a B-52 strait across the island of Bornholm. This isnt normal.

https://ac.nato.int/archive/2020/russian-fighter-jet-violates-nato-airspace-over-bornholm-island

The behavior of the russian fleet seems to have a less threating posture. One could think that the russian fleets knows its depency of being allowed to transit danish waters so no need to risk that. Last year a Typhoon class sub transited danish waters both ways going and leaving the Russian navy day parades in St Petersburg and was trailed in danish waters by a danish patrol boat. Not a pep from the russians about that.

(in reply to Fishbed)
Post #: 15
RE: OT: Russian Warship Collision - 9/25/2020 3:38:45 PM   
fcooke

Maybe the next time the Swedes or Danes catch a sub in their waters they should just go on and sink it, instead of being polite. I guess Norway as well.

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 16
RE: OT: Russian Warship Collision - 9/25/2020 4:38:16 PM   
Alpha77

"a new level of Russian provocative behavior." from link...

When Russians do it, it is provocative, if US/Nato do it it´s ok I guess...(and they have done "intel flights" close to Russian borders since the 60ties sometimes also veering into the airspace itself, also remember U2s right OVER their lands)

These flights by Russian fighters (if reports are correct) might also show a newer, more agressive (=also better trained) air force. Of course they now also have the planes to do it, older designs were too shortlegged and not the best radar/avionics (compared to Nato)

Eg. I have a video about (west) German F4s using (east) German Mig21 as "target practice" meaning getting behind them. The incident was over the Ostsee, I do not know to which side the waters belonged. It was even hailed by Nato as sign how much better their pilots are if F4 can get behind Migs them pilots being quite passive..

< Message edited by Alpha77 -- 9/25/2020 4:44:28 PM >

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 17
RE: OT: Russian Warship Collision - 9/25/2020 8:23:42 PM   
fcooke

I am mostly a student of WW2, but do not recall a Western nation taking out a civilian airliner - Korean Airlines 007 comes to mind. And if anything I have read is correct, Russia is getting way more aggressive with its AF. Buzzing USN ships and planes in a fairly dramatic way. China too. Though that P3 from a decade or so ago is likely to be the only patrol craft to have taken down a fighter since WW2. Though in an unconventional way.

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 18
RE: OT: Russian Warship Collision - 9/25/2020 8:32:02 PM   
RangerJoe

You may not heard about them, but the US did lose aircraft to the USSR after WWII. Not just the U2 with Francis Gary Powers.

― Julia Child

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 19
RE: OT: Russian Warship Collision - 9/25/2020 8:51:58 PM   
fcooke

But I think military, not civvies? I know an RB-47 got taken out.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 20
RE: OT: Russian Warship Collision - 9/25/2020 10:18:49 PM   
RangerJoe

Who needs cannons?

quote:

Newsweek
Russian Fighter Jet Accidentally Shot down by Friendly Fire in Military Exercise
Brendan Cole 1 day ago
Russian Fighter Jet Accidentally Shot down by Friendly Fire in Military Exercise

A Russian fighter jet was accidentally shot down out of the sky during military exercises by a pilot who did not know their plane had cannons which had not been disarmed, according to reports.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/russian-fighter-jet-accidentally-shot-down-by-friendly-fire-in-military-exercise/ar-BB19nXxw

― Julia Child

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 21
RE: OT: Russian Warship Collision - 9/25/2020 10:20:22 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: fcooke

But I think military, not civvies? I know an RB-47 got taken out.

Air-to-air combat losses between the Soviet Union and the United States

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air-to-air_combat_losses_between_the_Soviet_Union_and_the_United_States

― Julia Child

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 22
RE: OT: Russian Warship Collision - 9/25/2020 10:37:30 PM   
Alpha77

More:

Secret Casualties of the Cold War
Gary Powers wasn’t the only one. More than 200 airmen were shot down while spying on the Soviet Union.

https://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/secret-casualties-of-the-cold-war-180967122/

Also @fcooke
"but do not recall a Western nation taking out a civilian airliner "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655

Iran Air Flight 655 was a scheduled passenger flight from Tehran to Dubai via Bandar Abbas that was shot down on 3 July 1988 by an SM-2MR surface-to-air missile fired from USS Vincennes, a guided-missile cruiser of the United States Navy. The aircraft, an Airbus A300, was destroyed and all 290 people on board were killed.

< Message edited by Alpha77 -- 9/25/2020 10:44:41 PM >

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 23
RE: OT: Russian Warship Collision - 9/25/2020 11:44:14 PM   
fcooke

You are right - I forgot about that one. Tough when a Tico decides to take you down.

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 24
RE: OT: Russian Warship Collision - 9/25/2020 11:48:10 PM   
fcooke

and it was that long ago? I hate this age thing.

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: Russian Warship Collision Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI