Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: AAR 1944

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: AAR 1944 Page: <<   < prev  34 35 [36] 37 38   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: AAR 1944 - 9/23/2020 4:13:08 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jdsrae

Will be interesting to see if the allied attacks start to crumble at Calcutta in coming weeks.
They probably dropped a few brazilian supplies with all those troops though.
What now for the allies? Surely they can’t just leave that much force there to waste away without trying to reinforce.
What do you think they will try to reinforce with and when?

Well, we've spotted BB Indiana coming into the area so I guess this isn't over yet. But to be honest, there is no way he can break IJN naval superiority in the Bay of Bengal. We have KB (about twice as strong as his available carriers) and we have LBA. Both together already decimated him hard so going in again is a Kamikaze run. On the other hand, one can't have nearly 170 Allied units die in the Calcutta area. Will be interesting for sure.

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 1051
RE: AAR 1944 - 9/23/2020 4:20:43 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alpha77

I wonder what the Allied "strategy" was in this game ? Sometimes it seems he thinks to having too many ships and planes and wants to reduce their number on purpose, feeding them to the enemy with "strange" moves...

@castor troy: You reported the ASW issues in this thread and I believe this is not a thing only in this mod, I have the same in a scen2 game. All these patrols are useless except the small subchasers when they eat up enemy torpedoes. Air ASW sometimes reports hits, these seem not to sink subs but damage them, they may be withdrawn then by the enemy. But later will arrive again, so subs needs to be sunk I also do not buy into the "mission kill" thing. However it is true that a good asw/search network protects your convois. I have not lost a bigger tanker or even one of the big fast AKs to subs for quite a while. However Allied subs can sit arrogantly even in mined port hexes...

Btw. I moved some of my own subs near to bigger Allied bases, I got 2 subs hit by air both the smaller ro-class they got hit by smaller bombs from Hudsons, both received quite some damage but no danger to sink. I believe 3 hits by Hudson sized bombs will outright sink the IJN subs. 2 may be enough depending on luck of course. 1 seems to do serious enough damage for back to port. Can Allied players not report on their subs whan hit by IJ air asw?

I believe you also talked about bigger numbers of IJN mines not doing anything - I opened a thread in the main forum, 600 Japanese mines not hitting...

No, he's not throwing them away on purpose. He didn't do that in the Marshalls and he didn't do it in the Bay of Bengal. But things got really bad for him both times as both times it was KB showing up and we've also had LBA doing very good (Frank/George).

I'll give you a what if here. What if I haven't had KB at Singapore for the last 6 months? And what if I only had 1000 av at Calcutta?

The overall Allied plan isn't all that bad. Land at Calcutta, take the biggest base in the area and cut off the whole IJA in India with a huge land force. Who would have thought my troops could withstand such an Allied force? Have Calcutta's airfiled and you dominate the area, no chance KB is going to go close to a level 9 airfield. Now for KB, I expected a move against the SRA, hence I was rebasing the carriers from Truk to Singapore, something he could have figured. Better so, he should have done a landing somewhere big enough or better say threatening enough to draw KB out. Just make sure KB (and I always mean all my carriers in one bag when I say KB) is not in range as long as it takes to move in, land and move out again. Would KB be at Truk everbody would have applauded him as he would have moved in, his carriers would have been strong enough to deal with all my LBA and then the second big what if, what if I only had two divs and some low value stuff at Calcutta. Can only repeat myself, the Army at Calcutta was not there with the primary objective to defend Calcutta, but to be moved West as reinforcements if needed.

He would have taken the base with three or four attacks within one and a halve weeks at the latest with all the stuff he brought.

< Message edited by castor troy -- 9/23/2020 4:23:06 PM >

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 1052
RE: AAR 1944 - 9/23/2020 4:25:23 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

Well, they are also at Madras, right? .. clearly he hopes a pinzer movement. but such a long distance, and if so, why the attacks? not sure at all of the tactics or strategy here ...

No, Madras, Hyderabad, Bombay up to Karachi is still in Japanese hands. I'll post a map soon.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 1053
RE: AAR 1944 - 9/23/2020 4:30:09 PM   
castor troy

quote:

So, looking at the units shown ... it appears to most, if not all, of the deployable US land forces available in early '44. And he is losing prodigious numbers of them.

Run this forward, even if CT were to lose Calcutta, by no means do I think that, but let's just conjecture a bit ... even if the allies take back all of India. Unless CT allows large portions of his armies to be encircled and destroyed in the process, he has already won the war here. The US reinforcements are still coming, but they start to taper off as '44 wears on. And replacement devices simply don't exist to rebuild his current losses.

A very bold move to land so aggressively at Calcutta, but this same landing near Madras using LBA cover from Ceylon would have been far more favorable. His troops would have landed cleanly, or mostly so, and then he is in a strong position to rock India hard. He cannot entrap CT unless CT makes an error as long as IJ controls the Indian ocean, but he can certainly push him completely out and into Burma/Malaysia.

Still, really worth watching, and maybe the allied replacement/reiforcement pool is bigger than I think ... I've never seen or tried such a huge gambit as the allies at this point.

Pretty much my thoughts too. If he can pull this off then it's a critical situation for us, it's really all about Calcutta as the base dominates all in the area.

I've asked Mundy why he didn't land East of Madras as that's what I've expected and he answered he would have been better off doing so. Of course, like mentioned earlier, the losses he took are due to KB showing up and the enemy facing 1350 carrier based aircraft (it's 44 and I'm the IJ...) plus another 1000 land based aircraft. The battle for Calcutta is long not over, nor is the battle for India, we'll see how the end result will look like. The start of course is a Japanese victory already and we got the initiative now.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 1054
RE: AAR 1944 - 9/23/2020 4:33:16 PM   
castor troy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy

Worst statistic ever? Looks like 80% of the modern US fighters, Corsair and Lightnings, never got in the air to fight? But destroyed on the ground or loaded into ships?

Mundy has the prob that he couldn't fly them in from Ceylon, he told me the P-47 for example has one hex short range to reach Diamond Harbour. Not that it would matter as soon as we have naval superiority but that's the reason he has them on ships. He also had AKV but those were trying to run when KB showed up. Why the bombers on the ships? Dunno, but he probably just loaded everything into his convoys instead of creating one that brought the bombers to Ceylon (would have been way better of course).

Guess he was expecting to take the level 9 airfield of Calcutta in fast order and so he probably had way over 1000 air support that would patch up crated aircraft in the hundreds each day.

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 1055
RE: AAR 1944 - 9/23/2020 4:35:53 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

I think that the only way that he could have trapped the Japanese Army in India would have been to quickly capture all of Burma and somehow put an effective blockade of the sea lanes into place. With his previous losses and the Japanese strength, I don't think that it would be possible no completely do so. A painful withdrawl maybe, but complete destruction.

Burma would have been even worse for him. Why? Because KB would have been able to be in range within three days on normal speed. Now take all what you have seen in terms of ship losses and add troops aboard. Literally all sunk ships didn't carry any troops anymore, some did and some carried aircraft. The way it is now he has landed all troops in good shape, landing in Burma would have been a massacre to convoys full of troops.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 1056
RE: AAR 1944 - 9/23/2020 4:42:22 PM   
castor troy

quote:

Greyjoy's move was so much better since the Japanese were way out of position for that!

In no campaigns I'm a fan of these all in operations. To be honest, I've seen and faced several already (both Allied and Japanese) and most ended in a disaster. There was a reason why there was island hopping in real life and not War Plan Orange or an invasion of Japan in late 43 before the defensive perimeter was worn down.

What I've experienced so far were operations that were going deep often achieving something first, then being stalled and six months later being destroyed. I had landings on Luzon way too early as well as landings on Formosa or Hokkaido as the most spectacular. Non of them was nearly as impressive as the one Mundy is pulling off here in terms of ground units though.

One can do this of course, if you have total naval superiority. Why landing in the Gilberts when you can land on Okinawa? But if you don't have full control of the Sea it's suizide in the long run and the Calcutta operation currently is leaning more towards suizide than success. Of course the battle isn't over yet but the odds are in Japan's favour at the moment.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 1057
RE: AAR 1944 - 9/23/2020 4:52:37 PM   
castor troy

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Feb 05, 44
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Diamond Harbour at 52,38, Range 11,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Asashio
DD Yamagumo, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Fubuki
DD Shirayuki, Shell hits 1
DD Murakumo
DD Shikinami
DD Amagiri

Allied Ships
DD Isaac Sweers, Shell hits 8, and is sunk
APD King, Shell hits 12, and is sunk
APA Harris, Shell hits 46, and is sunk
APA President Adams, Shell hits 5, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
APA La Salle, Shell hits 7, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
AK Ganymede, Shell hits 34, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk

EXODUS!!! The remaining Allied ships that were disbanded in port at Diamond Harbour are running! We've had this destroyer squadron at Calcutta set to react if any small numbers of ships would try to run the blocade and at first I've thought it would a small scale evacuation but all ships, no matter if damaged or not, are running West or South West, all heading towards Ceylon of course...

Improved night sighting under 85% moonlight
Maximum visibility in Partly Cloudy Conditions and 85% moonlight: 11,000 yards
Range closes to 28,000 yards...
Range closes to 26,000 yards...
Range closes to 24,000 yards...
Range closes to 22,000 yards...
Range closes to 20,000 yards...
Range closes to 18,000 yards...
Range closes to 16,000 yards...
Range closes to 14,000 yards...
Range closes to 12,000 yards...
Range closes to 11,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 11,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 11,000 yards
DD Isaac Sweers engages DD Murakumo at 11,000 yards
DD Murakumo engages APA La Salle at 11,000 yards
DD Shirayuki engages DD Isaac Sweers at 11,000 yards
DD Isaac Sweers engages DD Fubuki at 11,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages DD Isaac Sweers at 11,000 yards
Range closes to 10,000 yards
DD Amagiri engages DD Isaac Sweers at 10,000 yards
DD Shikinami engages DD Isaac Sweers at 10,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages APA President Adams at 10,000 yards
DD Isaac Sweers engages DD Shirayuki at 10,000 yards
DD Shirayuki engages APD King at 10,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages APA President Adams at 10,000 yards
DD Asashio engages DD Isaac Sweers at 10,000 yards
Range closes to 6,000 yards
DD Isaac Sweers engages DD Shirayuki at 6,000 yards
DD Shikinami engages DD Isaac Sweers at 6,000 yards
DD Isaac Sweers sunk by DD Murakumo at 6,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages APA President Adams at 6,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages APA La Salle at 6,000 yards
Range closes to 4,000 yards
DD Amagiri engages APA La Salle at 4,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages APA President Adams at 4,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages APD King at 4,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages AK Ganymede at 4,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages APA President Adams at 4,000 yards
DD Asashio engages APA La Salle at 4,000 yards
APA President Adams sunk by DD Amagiri at 4,000 yards
DD Shikinami engages APA Harris at 4,000 yards
DD Murakumo engages APD King at 4,000 yards
DD Shirayuki engages APD King at 4,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages APA La Salle at 4,000 yards
APA La Salle sunk by DD Yamagumo at 4,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages APA Harris at 4,000 yards
DD Shikinami engages APA Harris at 4,000 yards
DD Murakumo engages AK Ganymede at 4,000 yards
DD Shirayuki engages APA Harris at 4,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages AK Ganymede at 4,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages APA Harris at 4,000 yards
DD Asashio engages APD King at 4,000 yards
Range closes to 2,000 yards
DD Amagiri engages APA Harris at 2,000 yards
DD Shikinami engages APA Harris at 2,000 yards
DD Shirayuki engages APA Harris at 2,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages APA Harris at 2,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages APA Harris at 2,000 yards
DD Asashio engages AK Ganymede at 2,000 yards
Range increases to 3,000 yards
DD Amagiri engages APA Harris at 3,000 yards
DD Shikinami engages APD King at 3,000 yards
DD Murakumo engages APA Harris at 3,000 yards
DD Shirayuki engages AK Ganymede at 3,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages APA Harris at 3,000 yards
DD Asashio engages AK Ganymede at 3,000 yards
DD Amagiri engages APA Harris at 3,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages AK Ganymede at 3,000 yards
APA Harris sunk by DD Shirayuki at 3,000 yards
Range closes to 2,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages AK Ganymede at 2,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages AK Ganymede at 2,000 yards
Range increases to 3,000 yards
DD Asashio engages AK Ganymede at 3,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages AK Ganymede at 3,000 yards
AK Ganymede sunk by DD Shikinami at 3,000 yards
AK Ganymede sunk by DD Shikinami at 3,000 yards
Combat ends with last Allied ship sunk...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Japanese Ships
DD Asashio
DD Yamagumo, on fire
DD Fubuki
DD Shirayuki
DD Murakumo
DD Shikinami
DD Amagiri

Allied Ships
APD Crosby, Shell hits 3, and is sunk
APD Gilmer, and is sunk
APD Sands, Shell hits 2, and is sunk
APA Callaway, Shell hits 6, and is sunk

note that we don't achieve any torpedo hits here as most torps were spent on the first convoy at very long range, mostly missing...

CONTACT: Allies radar detects Japanese task force at 14,000 yards
DD Asashio engages APD Crosby at 11,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages APA Callaway at 11,000 yards
DD Shikinami engages APD Sands at 11,000 yards
APD Crosby sunk by DD Fubuki at 11,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages APA Callaway at 11,000 yards
Range closes to 9,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages APA Callaway at 9,000 yards
DD Shikinami engages APA Callaway at 9,000 yards
DD Murakumo engages APA Callaway at 9,000 yards
APA Callaway sunk by DD Fubuki at 9,000 yards
APD Sands sunk by DD Asashio at 9,000 yards
APD Sands sunk by DD Asashio at 9,000 yards

Japanese Ships
CA Chikuma
CA Maya
CA Chokai
CA Mikuma
CA Suzuya
CL Naka
CL Jintsu
DD Hatsukaze
DD Natsushio
DD Tokitsukaze
DD Natsugumo
DD Shirakumo
DD Ayanami
DD Sagiri
DD Yugiri
DD Oboro
DD Akebono
DD Sazanami
DD Ushio

Allied Ships
APA Du Page, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
AK Deimos, Shell hits 7, and is sunk

that's our bombardment group running into two heavily damaged ships not able to get out fast enough...

APA Du Page sunk by CA Chokai at 11,000 yards
DD Sazanami engages AK Deimos at 11,000 yards
DD Oboro engages AK Deimos at 11,000 yards
DD Natsugumo engages AK Deimos at 11,000 yards
Range increases to 12,000 yards
CA Suzuya engages AK Deimos at 12,000 yards
AK Deimos sunk by DD Sagiri at 12,000 yards
AK Deimos sunk by DD Sagiri at 12,000 yards

Night Time Surface Combat, near Diamond Harbour at 51,39, Range 11,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Asashio
DD Yamagumo, on fire
DD Fubuki
DD Shirayuki
DD Murakumo
DD Shikinami
DD Amagiri

Allied Ships
APD Kane, Shell hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
APA Arthur Middleton, Shell hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage
APA Warren, Shell hits 6, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
AKA Electra, Shell hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AK Bootes, Shell hits 7, heavy fires, heavy damage
AKA Jupiter, Shell hits 4, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
xAP Aloe, Shell hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Havildar, Shell hits 6, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Jalaganga, Shell hits 11, heavy fires, heavy damage

I have to admit that I was really proud about myself during the replay to have set that destroyer group to patrol and react as they are doing really great as one just can't rely on LBA to sink all those ships...

CONTACT: Allies radar detects Japanese task force at 26,000 yards
Range closes to 25,000 yards...
Range closes to 23,000 yards...
Range closes to 21,000 yards...
Range closes to 19,000 yards...
CONTACT: Allies radar detects Japanese task force at 18,000 yards
Range closes to 17,000 yards...
Range closes to 15,000 yards...
Range closes to 13,000 yards...
DD Amagiri engages APA Arthur Middleton at 11,000 yards
DD Murakumo engages APA Arthur Middleton at 11,000 yards
DD Amagiri engages xAK Jalaganga at 11,000 yards
DD Amagiri engages xAK Havildar at 11,000 yards
DD Amagiri engages APA Arthur Middleton at 11,000 yards
DD Amagiri engages APD Kane at 11,000 yards
DD Amagiri engages AKA Jupiter at 11,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages APA Arthur Middleton at 11,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages AK Bootes at 11,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages xAP Aloe at 11,000 yards
DD Amagiri engages xAK Havildar at 11,000 yards
DD Amagiri engages APA Arthur Middleton at 10,000 yards
DD Murakumo engages AK Bootes at 10,000 yards
DD Amagiri engages AKA Jupiter at 10,000 yards
DD Murakumo engages AKA Electra at 10,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages AK Bootes at 10,000 yards
DD Asashio engages APA Arthur Middleton at 10,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages xAK Jalaganga at 10,000 yards
DD Murakumo engages xAK Havildar at 10,000 yards
AKA Jupiter sunk by DD Shikinami at 6,000 yards
DD Murakumo engages APA Warren at 6,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages APA Warren at 6,000 yards
DD Amagiri engages xAK Jalaganga at 6,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages xAK Havildar at 6,000 yards
Range increases to 7,000 yards
DD Shirayuki engages xAK Jalaganga at 7,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages xAK Jalaganga at 7,000 yards
DD Shirayuki engages xAP Aloe at 7,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages xAK Jalaganga at 7,000 yards
APA Warren sunk by DD Asashio at 7,000 yards
DD Murakumo engages xAK Jalaganga at 7,000 yards
DD Shirayuki engages AKA Electra at 7,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages AK Bootes at 7,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages xAK Jalaganga at 7,000 yards
Range increases to 8,000 yards
DD Shikinami engages APD Kane at 8,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages AK Bootes at 8,000 yards
Allied Task Force Manages to Escape
Task forces break off...

Japanese Ships
DD Asashio
DD Yamagumo, on fire
DD Fubuki
DD Shirayuki
DD Murakumo
DD Shikinami
DD Amagiri

Allied Ships
xAP Jacalope, Shell hits 13, and is sunk
xAP City of Durban, Shell hits 17, and is sunk
xAK City of Yokohama, Shell hits 20, and is sunk
xAK Lavington Court, Shell hits 12, and is sunk

DD Amagiri engages xAP Jacalope at 11,000 yards
DD Amagiri engages xAP Jacalope at 11,000 yards
DD Amagiri engages xAK Lavington Court at 11,000 yards
DD Asashio engages xAK City of Yokohama at 11,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages xAP City of Durban at 12,000 yards
DD Shirayuki engages xAK Lavington Court at 12,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages xAK Lavington Court at 12,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages xAP Jacalope at 12,000 yards
DD Asashio engages xAK City of Yokohama at 12,000 yards
Range closes to 8,000 yards
DD Amagiri engages xAK City of Yokohama at 8,000 yards
DD Amagiri engages xAK Lavington Court at 8,000 yards
DD Shirayuki engages xAP City of Durban at 8,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages xAK City of Yokohama at 8,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages xAP City of Durban at 8,000 yards
DD Asashio engages xAP Jacalope at 8,000 yards
Range closes to 5,000 yards
DD Amagiri engages xAP Jacalope at 5,000 yards
DD Shikinami engages xAP Jacalope at 5,000 yards
xAP Jacalope sunk by DD Shirayuki at 5,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages xAK Lavington Court at 5,000 yards
Range increases to 6,000 yards
DD Amagiri engages xAK City of Yokohama at 6,000 yards
DD Shikinami engages xAK Lavington Court at 6,000 yards
DD Shirayuki engages xAP City of Durban at 6,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages xAP City of Durban at 6,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages xAP City of Durban at 6,000 yards
xAK Lavington Court sunk by DD Amagiri at 6,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages xAK City of Yokohama at 6,000 yards
DD Shirayuki engages xAP City of Durban at 6,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages xAP City of Durban at 6,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages xAK City of Yokohama at 7,000 yards
DD Shirayuki engages xAK City of Yokohama at 7,000 yards
DD Asashio engages xAK City of Yokohama at 7,000 yards
DD Amagiri engages xAK City of Yokohama at 6,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages xAK City of Yokohama at 8,000 yards
DD Shikinami engages xAK City of Yokohama at 8,000 yards
Range increases to 9,000 yards
xAK City of Yokohama sunk by DD Amagiri at 9,000 yards
xAK City of Yokohama sunk by DD Amagiri at 9,000 yards

Sub attack near Pagan at 115,91

Japanese Ships
xAK Toyohasi Maru
PB Hakakisan Maru
PB Tonon Maru
xAK Montreal Maru
xAK Hauraki Maru
xAK Bordeaux Maru
xAK Asuka Maru
xAK Maebasi Maru
PB Nichiryo Maru
PB Kenan Maru
PB Kohoku Maru
PB Kogane Maru

Allied Ships
SS Gabilan

SS Gabilan launches 2 torpedoes at xAK Toyohasi Maru
PB Nichiryo Maru fails to find sub, continues to search...
PB Kenan Maru fails to find sub, continues to search...
PB Kohoku Maru fails to find sub, continues to search...
PB Kogane Maru fails to find sub and abandons search
PB Kenan Maru fails to find sub and abandons search
PB Nichiryo Maru attacking submerged sub ....
PB Kohoku Maru fails to find sub and abandons search
Escort abandons search for sub

Night Time Surface Combat, near Diamond Harbour at 51,40, Range 10,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Asashio
DD Yamagumo, on fire
DD Fubuki
DD Shirayuki
DD Murakumo
DD Shikinami
DD Amagiri

Allied Ships
xAK Clan Mactavish, heavy damage
xAK Elysia, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK City of Exeter
xAK City of Hankow, Shell hits 3, on fire
xAP Clan Macpherson, Shell hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Empire Rani, Shell hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
xAK Empire Niger
xAP Esperance, on fire
xAP Johilla, Shell hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAP Kohistan, on fire, heavy damage
xAK Mahsud
xAK Trevilley, Shell hits 1
xAK Uffington Court
xAP Morton M. McCarver, Shell hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAP Owen Summers, Shell hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAP Peter Silvester, Shell hits 9, and is sunk
xAP William G. Fargo, Shell hits 15, heavy fires, heavy damage

the destroyers start to run out of shells now... as there are literally no escorts left in the area our DDs have a field day...

CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 10,000 yards
Minami L. crosses the 'T'
DD Yamagumo engages xAP William G. Fargo at 10,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages xAP Peter Silvester at 10,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages xAP Owen Summers at 10,000 yards
DD Shirayuki engages xAP Morton M. McCarver at 10,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages xAP Johilla at 10,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages xAP Clan Macpherson at 10,000 yards
DD Asashio engages xAK City of Hankow at 10,000 yards
DD Asashio engages xAP Peter Silvester at 10,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages xAP Owen Summers at 10,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages xAP Morton M. McCarver at 10,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages xAP Johilla at 10,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages xAK Clan Mactavish at 10,000 yards
Range closes to 7,000 yards
DD Asashio engages xAP William G. Fargo at 7,000 yards
DD Shikinami engages xAP Peter Silvester at 7,000 yards
DD Murakumo engages xAP William G. Fargo at 7,000 yards
DD Asashio engages xAP Morton M. McCarver at 7,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages xAP Kohistan at 7,000 yards
DD Asashio engages xAP William G. Fargo at 7,000 yards
Minami L. orders Japanese TF to disengage
DD Amagiri engages xAP William G. Fargo at 4,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages xAP Peter Silvester at 4,000 yards
DD Murakumo engages xAP Owen Summers at 4,000 yards
DD Shirayuki engages xAP William G. Fargo at 4,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages xAP Kohistan at 4,000 yards
DD Asashio engages xAP William G. Fargo at 4,000 yards
DD Murakumo engages xAK Trevilley at 4,000 yards
DD Murakumo engages xAK City of Hankow at 4,000 yards
DD Shirayuki engages xAP William G. Fargo at 8,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages xAP Peter Silvester at 8,000 yards
DD Shirayuki engages xAP Morton M. McCarver at 8,000 yards
DD Asashio engages xAP William G. Fargo at 8,000 yards
DD Amagiri engages xAP Clan Macpherson at 8,000 yards
DD Shirayuki engages xAK Empire Rani at 8,000 yards
xAP Peter Silvester sunk by DD Shikinami at 12,000 yards
DD Shikinami engages xAP Owen Summers at 12,000 yards
DD Shirayuki engages xAP Morton M. McCarver at 12,000 yards
DD Murakumo engages xAP Johilla at 12,000 yards
DD Asashio engages xAP William G. Fargo at 12,000 yards
DD Shirayuki engages xAK Empire Rani at 12,000 yards
Task forces break off...

Night Time Surface Combat, near Diamond Harbour at 51,39, Range 10,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Asashio
DD Yamagumo, on fire
DD Fubuki
DD Shirayuki
DD Murakumo
DD Shikinami
DD Amagiri

Allied Ships
xAP Nightingale, heavy fires, heavy damage

CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 10,000 yards
Japanese TF attempts to evade combat
Range increases to 12,000 yards...
Both Task Forces evade combat

Japanese Ships
DD Kiyoshimo
DD Arashio
DD Minegumo
DD Arare

Allied Ships
APD Kane, Shell hits 3, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
APA Arthur Middleton, Shell hits 4, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
AKA Electra, Shell hits 1, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
AK Bootes, Shell hits 2, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
xAP Aloe, Shell hits 5, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
xAK Havildar, Shell hits 10, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
xAK Jalaganga, Shell hits 8, and is sunk

DD Kiyoshimo engages APA Arthur Middleton at 11,000 yards
APA Arthur Middleton sunk by DD Minegumo at 11,000 yards
DD Minegumo engages AKA Electra at 11,000 yards
AK Bootes sunk by DD Kiyoshimo at 11,000 yards
DD Minegumo engages xAP Aloe at 11,000 yards
DD Kiyoshimo engages xAK Havildar at 11,000 yards
AKA Electra sunk by DD Arare at 11,000 yards
DD Minegumo engages xAP Aloe at 11,000 yards
DD Minegumo engages xAK Havildar at 11,000 yards
xAP Aloe sunk by DD Minegumo at 7,000 yards
DD Arashio engages xAK Jalaganga at 7,000 yards
DD Arare engages xAK Havildar at 7,000 yards
APD Kane sunk by DD Arashio at 6,000 yards
DD Minegumo engages xAK Jalaganga at 6,000 yards
DD Arashio engages xAK Havildar at 6,000 yards
Range closes to 5,000 yards
xAK Havildar sunk by DD Arare at 5,000 yards
DD Minegumo engages xAK Jalaganga at 5,000 yards
xAK Jalaganga sunk by DD Arare at 7,000 yards
xAK Jalaganga sunk by DD Arare at 7,000 yards

Night Time Surface Combat, near Diamond Harbour at 52,38, Range 12,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Asashio
DD Yamagumo, on fire
DD Fubuki
DD Shirayuki
DD Murakumo
DD Shikinami
DD Amagiri

Allied Ships
xAP Chilka, heavy damage
xAK Ozarda, on fire, heavy damage
xAP Benrinnes
xAP Hadleigh, on fire
xAP Derrymore, heavy damage
xAK Salamaua, heavy damage

no more shells, the destroyers retire after having done insane damage...

Both TF attempt to withdraw!
Both Task Forces evade combat

Japanese Ships
DD Kiyoshimo
DD Arashio
DD Minegumo
DD Arare

Allied Ships
APD Kennison, Shell hits 11, and is sunk

that happened by accident, these destroyers were just heading to Calcutta, not meant to run into enemy ships tonight...

Setoyama, B. crosses the 'T'
DD Arare engages APD Kennison at 11,000 yards
DD Minegumo engages APD Kennison at 10,000 yards
DD Arashio engages APD Kennison at 10,000 yards
DD Kiyoshimo engages APD Kennison at 10,000 yards
DD Arashio engages APD Kennison at 7,000 yards
APD Kennison sunk by DD Arare at 4,000 yards
APD Kennison sunk by DD Arare at 4,000 yards

Japanese Ships
DD Kiyoshimo
DD Arashio
DD Minegumo
DD Arare

Allied Ships
xAP Chilka, on fire, heavy damage
xAK Ozarda, Shell hits 9, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAP Benrinnes, Shell hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
xAP Hadleigh, Shell hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAP Derrymore, Shell hits 9, heavy damage
xAK Salamaua, Shell hits 5, and is sunk

they of course do very well too against unescorted transports...

DD Minegumo engages xAP Derrymore at 11,000 yards
DD Arare engages xAP Benrinnes at 11,000 yards
DD Minegumo engages xAK Ozarda at 11,000 yards
DD Kiyoshimo engages xAP Derrymore at 11,000 yards
DD Arashio engages xAK Salamaua at 11,000 yards
DD Kiyoshimo engages xAP Derrymore at 11,000 yards
DD Kiyoshimo engages xAK Salamaua at 11,000 yards
DD Minegumo engages xAK Ozarda at 11,000 yards
DD Minegumo engages xAP Derrymore at 8,000 yards
DD Minegumo engages xAP Hadleigh at 8,000 yards
DD Arashio engages xAK Ozarda at 8,000 yards
DD Minegumo engages xAP Hadleigh at 4,000 yards
xAK Salamaua sunk by DD Kiyoshimo at 4,000 yards
DD Kiyoshimo engages xAK Ozarda at 4,000 yards
Range increases to 5,000 yards
DD Arare engages xAP Derrymore at 5,000 yards
DD Minegumo engages xAP Benrinnes at 5,000 yards
Allied Task Force Manages to Escape
Task forces break off...

Night Naval bombardment of Diamond Harbour at 52,38 - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

2 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
CA Suzuya
CA Mikuma
CA Chokai
CA Maya
CA Chikuma
CL Jintsu
CL Naka
DD Ushio
DD Sazanami
DD Akebono
DD Oboro
DD Yugiri
DD Sagiri
DD Ayanami
DD Shirakumo
DD Natsugumo
DD Tokitsukaze
DD Natsushio
DD Hatsukaze

Allied Ships
AKA Castor, Shell hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Allied ground losses:
1205 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Non Combat: 17 destroyed, 98 disabled
Engineers: 7 destroyed, 31 disabled
Guns lost 14 (4 destroyed, 10 disabled)
Vehicles lost 20 (4 destroyed, 16 disabled)

Airbase hits 11
Airbase supply hits 8
Runway hits 37
Port hits 19
Port supply hits 3

CA Suzuya firing at Diamond Harbour
CA Mikuma firing at Diamond Harbour
E13A1 Jake acting as spotter for CA Chokai
CA Chokai firing at Diamond Harbour
CA Maya firing at Diamond Harbour
CA Chikuma firing at Diamond Harbour
CL Jintsu firing at 3rd Fleet Advn Base Force
CL Naka firing at Diamond Harbour
DD Ushio firing at 259th Coastal Artillery Battalion
259th Coastal Artillery Battalion firing at DD Ushio
DD Sazanami firing at Diamond Harbour
DD Akebono firing at Diamond Harbour
DD Oboro firing at Diamond Harbour
DD Yugiri firing at Diamond Harbour
DD Sagiri firing at Diamond Harbour
DD Ayanami firing at Diamond Harbour
DD Shirakumo firing at Diamond Harbour
DD Natsugumo firing at Diamond Harbour
DD Tokitsukaze firing at Diamond Harbour
DD Natsushio firing at Diamond Harbour
DD Hatsukaze firing at 1st Fleet Advn Base Force

Day Time Surface Combat, near Diamond Harbour at 52,38, Range 17,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Asashio
DD Yamagumo
DD Fubuki
DD Shirayuki
DD Murakumo
DD Shikinami
DD Amagiri

Allied Ships
xAP Chilka, Shell hits 12, and is sunk
xAP Benrinnes, Shell hits 25, and is sunk
xAP Hadleigh, Shell hits 9, and is sunk

still some shells it seems... dozens of enemy ships sunk by these DDs...

Maximum visibility in Partly Cloudy Conditions: 28,000 yards
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 17,000 yards
DD Amagiri engages xAP Chilka at 17,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages xAP Chilka at 17,000 yards
Range closes to 14,000 yards
DD Amagiri engages xAP Benrinnes at 14,000 yards
DD Shikinami engages xAP Benrinnes at 14,000 yards
DD Murakumo engages xAP Chilka at 14,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages xAP Benrinnes at 14,000 yards
DD Asashio engages xAP Benrinnes at 14,000 yards
Range closes to 12,000 yards
DD Murakumo engages xAP Hadleigh at 12,000 yards
DD Shikinami engages xAP Benrinnes at 12,000 yards
DD Murakumo engages xAP Benrinnes at 12,000 yards
DD Shirayuki engages xAP Chilka at 12,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages xAP Hadleigh at 12,000 yards
DD Amagiri engages xAP Benrinnes at 10,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages xAP Benrinnes at 10,000 yards
DD Asashio engages xAP Chilka at 10,000 yards
DD Shirayuki engages xAP Hadleigh at 10,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages xAP Benrinnes at 10,000 yards
DD Asashio engages xAP Hadleigh at 10,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages xAP Hadleigh at 7,000 yards
DD Shikinami engages xAP Benrinnes at 7,000 yards
DD Shirayuki engages xAP Hadleigh at 7,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages xAP Benrinnes at 7,000 yards
DD Asashio engages xAP Chilka at 7,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages xAP Benrinnes at 8,000 yards
xAP Chilka sunk by DD Shirayuki at 8,000 yards
xAP Benrinnes sunk by DD Murakumo at 8,000 yards

Submarine attack near Diamond Harbour at 50,42

Japanese Ships
SS I-173

Allied Ships
LCI-85

LCI-85 is sighted by SS I-173
SS I-173 launches 2 torpedoes at LCI-85

Morning Air attack on Diamond Harbour , at 52,38

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid detected at 39 NM, estimated altitude 35,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-84a Frank x 37

No Japanese losses

Aircraft Attacking:
37 x Ki-84a Frank sweeping at 31000 feet

Attachment (1)

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 1058
RE: AAR 1944 - 9/23/2020 4:57:12 PM   
castor troy

Morning Air attack on TF, near Diamond Harbour at 50,41

Weather in hex: Heavy rain

Raid spotted at 13 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 3 minutes

Japanese aircraft
D4Y4 Judy x 3
N1K2-J George x 58
P1Y2 Frances x 23

Japanese aircraft losses
P1Y2 Frances: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
xAK Mahsud, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
xAP Morton M. McCarver, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
xAK Trevilley
xAK Clan Mactavish, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage
xAK Uffington Court, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage
xAK Empire Rani, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
xAK City of Hankow, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk

then it's Calcutta's LBA to strike... as always most bombers not flying or failing to locate enemy convoys... look at the number of enemy convoys, everyone tries to run as fast as possible, some undamaged, fast transports made it very far South...

Aircraft Attacking:
9 x P1Y2 Frances launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Naval Attack: 1 x 45cm Type 91 Torp
7 x P1Y2 Frances launching torpedoes at 200 feet
7 x P1Y2 Frances launching torpedoes at 200 feet
3 x D4Y4 Judy releasing from 2000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 800 kg AP Bomb

Morning Air attack on TF, near Diamond Harbour at 49,43

Raid detected at 10 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
B6N2 Jill x 27
N1K2-J George x 45

Japanese aircraft losses
B6N2 Jill: 5 damaged

Allied Ships
xAP Benledi, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
xAK Maldive, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
AK Adhara, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
xAP Daisy Moller, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
xAK Elmdale, Torpedo hits 4, and is sunk
xAK City of Canterbury, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
xAP Historian, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk

Aircraft Attacking:
27 x B6N2 Jill launching torpedoes at 200 feet

Morning Air attack on TF, near Akyab at 49,44

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid detected at 12 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
N1K2-J George x 68
P1Y2 Frances x 12

Japanese aircraft losses
P1Y2 Frances: 2 damaged
P1Y2 Frances: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied Ships
xAK Indira, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
xAK Matiana, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
xAP Matsonia, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk

Aircraft Attacking:
11 x P1Y2 Frances launching torpedoes at 200 feet

Morning Air attack on TF, near Akyab at 48,44

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid spotted at 9 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 2 minutes

Japanese aircraft
B6N2 Jill x 4

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
xAK Karoa, Torpedo hits 2, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x B6N2 Jill launching torpedoes at 200 feet

Morning Air attack on TF, near Diamond Harbour at 50,40

Weather in hex: Light cloud

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Japanese aircraft
D4Y4 Judy x 4

Japanese aircraft losses
D4Y4 Judy: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
xAK Mendoza, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x D4Y4 Judy releasing from 1000'

Heavy smoke from fires obscuring xAK Mendoza

Morning Air attack on TF, near Akyab at 47,45

Raid spotted at 6 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 1 minutes

Japanese aircraft
P1Y2 Frances x 6

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
xAP Athlone Castle

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x P1Y2 Frances launching torpedoes at 200 feet

Morning Air attack on TF, near Diamond Harbour at 50,42

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
P1Y2 Frances x 6

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
APA McCawley, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x P1Y2 Frances launching torpedoes at 200 feet

Raid detected at 200 NM, estimated altitude 28,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 63 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-49-IIb Helen x 65

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-49-IIb Helen: 25 damaged

Port hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
21 x Ki-49-IIb Helen bombing from 26000 feet
Port Attack: 4 x 250 kg GP Bomb
21 x Ki-49-IIb Helen bombing from 26000 feet
11 x Ki-49-IIb Helen bombing from 26000 feet
6 x Ki-49-IIb Helen bombing from 26000 feet

Raid detected at 200 NM, estimated altitude 32,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-49-IIb Helen x 31

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-49-IIb Helen: 19 damaged

Aircraft Attacking:
17 x Ki-49-IIb Helen bombing from 26000 feet
3 x Ki-49-IIb Helen bombing from 26000 feet

Raid detected at 200 NM, estimated altitude 31,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-49-IIb Helen x 12

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-49-IIb Helen: 11 damaged

Aircraft Attacking:
12 x Ki-49-IIb Helen bombing from 26000 feet

Morning Air attack on TF, near Cuttack at 48,40

Raid spotted at 1 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 0 minutes

Japanese aircraft
P1Y2 Frances x 8

Japanese aircraft losses
P1Y2 Frances: 3 damaged

Allied Ships
xAP Robert C. Grier, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk

Aircraft Attacking:
8 x P1Y2 Frances launching torpedoes at 200 feet

Morning Air attack on TF, near Diamond Harbour at 49,42

Raid spotted at 15 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes

Japanese aircraft
B6N2 Jill x 3

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
xAK Dagfred

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x B6N2 Jill launching torpedoes at 200 feet

Raid spotted at 19 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Japanese aircraft
P1Y2 Frances x 9

Japanese aircraft losses
P1Y2 Frances: 3 damaged

Allied Ships
xAK City of Exeter, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
xAP Kohistan, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Clan Mactavish, on fire, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 17,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zero x 89
D4Y4 Judy x 67

Japanese aircraft losses
D4Y4 Judy: 2 damaged

Allied Ships
xAK Uffington Court, Bomb hits 3, and is sunk
xAK Clan Mactavish, Bomb hits 3, and is sunk
xAK Empire Niger, Bomb hits 4, and is sunk
xAK Trevilley, Bomb hits 5, and is sunk
xAP Kohistan, Bomb hits 5, and is sunk
xAP Esperance, Bomb hits 6, and is sunk

KB was in range too, that's all we get... these were all sinking ships already...

Aircraft Attacking:
7 x D4Y4 Judy releasing from 3000'
3 x D4Y4 Judy releasing from 3000'
5 x D4Y4 Judy releasing from 1000'
1 x D4Y4 Judy releasing from 3000'
2 x D4Y4 Judy releasing from 2000'
6 x D4Y4 Judy releasing from 3000'
1 x D4Y4 Judy releasing from 3000'
1 x D4Y4 Judy releasing from 1000'
2 x D4Y4 Judy releasing from 3000'
5 x D4Y4 Judy releasing from 2000'
1 x D4Y4 Judy releasing from 2000'
1 x D4Y4 Judy releasing from 2000'
4 x D4Y4 Judy releasing from 3000'
4 x D4Y4 Judy releasing from 2000'

Heavy smoke from fires obscuring xAK Uffington Court
Heavy smoke from fires obscuring xAK Clan Mactavish
Heavy smoke from fires obscuring xAK Trevilley
Heavy smoke from fires obscuring an Allied xAP
Heavy smoke from fires obscuring xAK Empire Niger
Heavy smoke from fires obscuring xAP Esperance

Raid detected at 191 NM, estimated altitude 30,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 47 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-84a Frank x 3

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
APD Crane, and is sunk

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x Ki-84a Frank sweeping at 31000 feet

Morning Air attack on TF, near Akyab at 48,44

Raid spotted at 42 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes

Japanese aircraft
P1Y2 Frances x 9

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
xAK La Pampa, on fire
xAK Shillong, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk

Aircraft Attacking:

Raid detected at 30 NM, estimated altitude 32,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-84a Frank x 32

No Japanese losses

Aircraft Attacking:
32 x Ki-84a Frank sweeping at 31000 feet

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Diamond Harbour at 49,43

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid spotted at 6 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 1 minutes

Japanese aircraft
B6N2 Jill x 27
N1K2-J George x 57

Japanese aircraft losses
B6N2 Jill: 5 damaged

Allied Ships
xAK Ettrickbank, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
xAP Benledi, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
xAK Masula, Torpedo hits 4, and is sunk

again most bombers fail to fly in the afternoon but on the other hand, there was not much left of the roughly 100 ships that were running from Diamond Harbour...

Aircraft Attacking:
27 x B6N2 Jill launching torpedoes at 200 feet

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Diamond Harbour at 50,40

Weather in hex: Thunderstorms

Raid spotted at 11 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
N1K2-J George x 22
P1Y2 Frances x 9

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
xAP Leslie M. Shaw, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1059
RE: AAR 1944 - 9/23/2020 5:02:38 PM   
castor troy

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Feb 06, 44
TF 53 encounters mine field at Hakodate (119,53)

Allied Ships
SS Sturgeon, Mine hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

sink please...

Night Time Surface Combat, near Vizagapatnam at 45,41, Range 11,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Asashio
DD Fubuki
DD Shirayuki
DD Murakumo
DD Shikinami
DD Amagiri

Allied Ships
xAP Samuel Gompers, Shell hits 26, and is sunk

the destroyers and a combat group lead by a heavy cruiser are still on the hunt...

Improved night sighting under 92% moonlight
Maximum visibility in Partly Cloudy Conditions and 92% moonlight: 11,000 yards
Japanese open fire on surprised Allied ships at 11,000 yards
DD Murakumo fires at xAP Samuel Gompers at 11,000 yards
DD Murakumo engages xAP Samuel Gompers at 8,000 yards
DD Amagiri engages xAP Samuel Gompers at 6,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages xAP Samuel Gompers at 6,000 yards
DD Amagiri engages xAP Samuel Gompers at 8,000 yards
DD Shikinami engages xAP Samuel Gompers at 8,000 yards
DD Shirayuki engages xAP Samuel Gompers at 8,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages xAP Samuel Gompers at 8,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages xAP Samuel Gompers at 8,000 yards
DD Amagiri engages xAP Samuel Gompers at 9,000 yards
DD Shirayuki engages xAP Samuel Gompers at 9,000 yards
DD Murakumo engages xAP Samuel Gompers at 9,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages xAP Samuel Gompers at 9,000 yards
xAP Samuel Gompers sunk by DD Asashio at 9,000 yards
xAP Samuel Gompers sunk by DD Asashio at 9,000 yards

Submarine attack near Vizagapatnam at 44,43

Japanese Ships
SS I-9

Allied Ships
xAP Rangitata, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage

my subs didn't do much in the Bay of Bengal so far but now and then kill a straggler...

xAP Rangitata is sighted by SS I-9
SS I-9 launches 2 torpedoes at xAP Rangitata

21 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
CA Suzuya
CA Mikuma
CA Chokai
CA Maya
CA Chikuma
CL Jintsu
CL Naka
DD Ushio
DD Sazanami
DD Akebono
DD Oboro
DD Yugiri
DD Sagiri
DD Ayanami
DD Shirakumo
DD Natsugumo
DD Tokitsukaze
DD Natsushio
DD Hatsukaze

Allied ground losses:
992 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 4 disabled
Non Combat: 15 destroyed, 113 disabled
Engineers: 5 destroyed, 22 disabled
Guns lost 15 (1 destroyed, 14 disabled)
Vehicles lost 23 (7 destroyed, 16 disabled)

Airbase hits 11
Airbase supply hits 5
Runway hits 51
Port hits 15
Port fuel hits 1
Port supply hits 1

CL Jintsu firing at 217th Coast AA Regiment
217th Coast AA Regiment firing at CL Jintsu
DD Ushio firing at Diamond Harbour
DD Yugiri firing at Diamond Harbour
DD Natsugumo firing at 18th Marine Defense Battalion
18th Marine Defense Battalion firing at DD Natsugumo
18th Marine Defense Battalion firing at DD Natsushio
DD Natsushio firing at 18th Marine Defense Battalion
DD Hatsukaze firing at Diamond Harbour

Night Naval bombardment of Diamond Harbour at 52,38

Japanese Ships
BB Musashi
BB Yamato
BB Nagato
CLAA Tatsuta
CLAA Tenryu
DD Suzukaze
DD Umikaze
DD Kawakaze
DD Yamakaze
DD Samidare
DD Yudachi
DD Harusame
DD Murasame
DD Shigure

Allied ground losses:
617 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 11 destroyed, 52 disabled
Engineers: 9 destroyed, 15 disabled
Guns lost 12 (1 destroyed, 11 disabled)
Vehicles lost 13 (7 destroyed, 6 disabled)

Airbase hits 12
Airbase supply hits 4
Runway hits 34
Port hits 9

BB Musashi firing at Diamond Harbour
BB Yamato firing at Diamond Harbour
BB Nagato firing at Diamond Harbour
CLAA Tatsuta firing at 3rd Fleet Advn Base Force
CLAA Tenryu firing at Diamond Harbour
DD Suzukaze firing at Diamond Harbour
DD Umikaze firing at 1st Fleet Advn Base Force
DD Kawakaze firing at Diamond Harbour
DD Yamakaze firing at Diamond Harbour
DD Samidare firing at Diamond Harbour
DD Yudachi firing at 15th Marine Defense Battalion
DD Harusame firing at Diamond Harbour
DD Murasame firing at Diamond Harbour
DD Shigure firing at Diamond Harbour

Day Time Surface Combat, near Vizagapatnam at 43,47, Range 17,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Asashio
DD Fubuki
DD Shirayuki
DD Murakumo
DD Shikinami
DD Amagiri

Allied Ships
xAK Industria, Shell hits 34, and is sunk
xAK Mahout, Shell hits 29, and is sunk

CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 19,000 yards
Japanese open fire on surprised Allied ships at 17,000 yards
DD Amagiri fires at xAK Mahout at 17,000 yards
DD Shikinami fires at xAK Mahout at 17,000 yards
DD Murakumo fires at xAK Mahout at 17,000 yards
DD Asashio fires at xAK Mahout at 17,000 yards
Range closes to 16,000 yards
DD Amagiri engages xAK Mahout at 16,000 yards
DD Murakumo engages xAK Mahout at 16,000 yards
Range closes to 13,000 yards
DD Amagiri engages xAK Industria at 13,000 yards
DD Shikinami engages xAK Industria at 13,000 yards
DD Murakumo engages xAK Mahout at 13,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages xAK Mahout at 13,000 yards
DD Asashio engages xAK Industria at 13,000 yards
DD Amagiri engages xAK Mahout at 12,000 yards
DD Shikinami engages xAK Mahout at 12,000 yards
DD Murakumo engages xAK Mahout at 12,000 yards
DD Amagiri engages xAK Mahout at 8,000 yards
DD Shikinami engages xAK Mahout at 8,000 yards
DD Murakumo engages xAK Mahout at 8,000 yards
DD Shirayuki engages xAK Mahout at 8,000 yards
DD Asashio engages xAK Industria at 8,000 yards
DD Amagiri engages xAK Mahout at 8,000 yards
DD Asashio engages xAK Mahout at 9,000 yards
DD Shikinami engages xAK Industria at 9,000 yards
DD Murakumo engages xAK Mahout at 9,000 yards
DD Shirayuki engages xAK Industria at 9,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages xAK Mahout at 9,000 yards
DD Asashio engages xAK Industria at 9,000 yards
Range increases to 11,000 yards
DD Amagiri engages xAK Industria at 11,000 yards
DD Murakumo engages xAK Industria at 11,000 yards
DD Shirayuki engages xAK Industria at 11,000 yards
DD Amagiri engages xAK Industria at 10,000 yards
DD Murakumo engages xAK Industria at 7,000 yards
DD Murakumo engages xAK Industria at 8,000 yards
DD Shirayuki engages xAK Industria at 8,000 yards
DD Murakumo engages xAK Industria at 9,000 yards
DD Shirayuki engages xAK Industria at 9,000 yards
DD Asashio engages xAK Industria at 9,000 yards
DD Amagiri engages xAK Industria at 8,000 yards
DD Murakumo engages xAK Industria at 8,000 yards
DD Fubuki engages xAK Industria at 9,000 yards
xAK Industria sunk by DD Shirayuki at 9,000 yards

Day Time Surface Combat, near Vizagapatnam at 44,47, Range 19,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Asashio
DD Fubuki
DD Shirayuki
DD Murakumo
DD Shikinami
DD Amagiri

Allied Ships
xAK La Pampa, Shell hits 32, and is sunk

CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 19,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 19,000 yards
DD Asashio engages xAK La Pampa at 19,000 yards
DD Amagiri engages xAK La Pampa at 19,000 yards
DD Murakumo engages xAK La Pampa at 19,000 yards
DD Shirayuki engages xAK La Pampa at 19,000 yards
DD Asashio engages xAK La Pampa at 19,000 yards
Range closes to 17,000 yards
DD Amagiri engages xAK La Pampa at 17,000 yards
DD Shirayuki engages xAK La Pampa at 17,000 yards
DD Asashio engages xAK La Pampa at 17,000 yards
Range closes to 16,000 yards
DD Shikinami engages xAK La Pampa at 16,000 yards
Range closes to 13,000 yards
DD Amagiri engages xAK La Pampa at 13,000 yards
DD Murakumo engages xAK La Pampa at 13,000 yards
DD Shikinami engages xAK La Pampa at 12,000 yards
DD Murakumo engages xAK La Pampa at 12,000 yards
DD Shirayuki engages xAK La Pampa at 12,000 yards
DD Amagiri engages xAK La Pampa at 9,000 yards
DD Shikinami engages xAK La Pampa at 9,000 yards
Range increases to 10,000 yards
DD Amagiri engages xAK La Pampa at 10,000 yards
DD Amagiri engages xAK La Pampa at 7,000 yards
DD Shikinami engages xAK La Pampa at 7,000 yards
DD Murakumo engages xAK La Pampa at 7,000 yards
DD Asashio engages xAK La Pampa at 6,000 yards
DD Murakumo engages xAK La Pampa at 6,000 yards
xAK La Pampa sunk by DD Asashio at 6,000 yards

Day Time Surface Combat, near Vizagapatnam at 42,47, Range 28,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Tone
CL Oyodo
DD Kiyoshimo
DD Arashio
DD Minegumo
DD Arare
DD Uranami

Allied Ships
xAP Sheldon Jackson, Shell hits 18, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk

really not much enemy shipping in range left and our two combat groups are reacting quite far West towards Ceylon... have limited their reaction range not to get all too close to those airfields on Ceylon...

CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 28,000 yards
Japanese open fire on surprised Allied ships at 28,000 yards
CA Tone fires at xAP Sheldon Jackson at 28,000 yards
Range closes to 26,000 yards
CA Tone engages xAP Sheldon Jackson at 26,000 yards
Range closes to 22,000 yards
CA Tone engages xAP Sheldon Jackson at 22,000 yards
Range closes to 20,000 yards
CA Tone engages xAP Sheldon Jackson at 20,000 yards
Range closes to 17,000 yards
CA Tone engages xAP Sheldon Jackson at 17,000 yards
CL Oyodo engages xAP Sheldon Jackson at 17,000 yards
DD Kiyoshimo engages xAP Sheldon Jackson at 17,000 yards
Range closes to 14,000 yards
CA Tone engages xAP Sheldon Jackson at 14,000 yards
DD Kiyoshimo engages xAP Sheldon Jackson at 14,000 yards
Range closes to 11,000 yards
CA Tone engages xAP Sheldon Jackson at 11,000 yards
DD Kiyoshimo engages xAP Sheldon Jackson at 10,000 yards
CL Oyodo engages xAP Sheldon Jackson at 10,000 yards
CA Tone engages xAP Sheldon Jackson at 7,000 yards
xAP Sheldon Jackson sunk by DD Kiyoshimo at 7,000 yards

Morning Air attack on TF, near Vizagapatnam at 42,47

Weather in hex: Moderate rain

Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 26,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 27 minutes

Allied aircraft
B-24J Liberator x 4

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
CL Oyodo

but it seems it's too close already... the B-24 aren't all that much of a threat...

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x B-24J Liberator bombing from 25000 feet
Naval Attack: 10 x 500 lb SAP Bomb

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 30,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 8 minutes

Allied aircraft
Wellington GR.VIII x 4

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
DD Kiyoshimo

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x Wellington GR.VIII bombing from 11000 feet
Naval Attack: 6 x 250 lb SAP Bomb

Raid detected at 28 NM, estimated altitude 27,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 8 minutes

Allied aircraft
B-25G Mitchell x 12

Allied aircraft losses
B-25G Mitchell: 6 damaged

Japanese Ships
DD Uranami, Shell hits 1
CA Tone, Shell hits 2, Bomb hits 1
DD Arashio, Shell hits 8

but there is coming more and more and this one hurt... the DDs took some 75mm hits, which did exactly nothing (attack bombers are modelled real badly) but Tone took a penetrating 500lb bomb, causing 24sys and some flt which is bad news and not worth the couple of ships we've sunk with this move...

Aircraft Attacking:
12 x B-25G Mitchell bombing and strafing from low level *
Naval Attack: 3 x 500 lb SAP Bomb

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Vizagapatnam at 43,47

Weather in hex: Light rain

Raid spotted at 19 NM, estimated altitude 30,000 feet.

Allied aircraft
B-24D1 Liberator x 6

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
DD Murakumo

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x B-24D1 Liberator bombing from 26000 feet

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Vizagapatnam at 42,47

Raid detected at 51 NM, estimated altitude 27,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 17 minutes

Allied aircraft
B-24J Liberator x 4

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
CA Tone

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x B-24J Liberator bombing from 25000 feet

Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 13 minutes

Allied aircraft
Liberator B.VI x 5

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
CA Tone
CL Oyodo

Aircraft Attacking:
5 x Liberator B.VI bombing from 10000 feet

Raid spotted at 17 NM, estimated altitude 26,000 feet.

Allied aircraft
Wellington Ic x 6

Allied aircraft losses
Wellington Ic: 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
CL Oyodo
CA Tone

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x Wellington Ic bombing from 10000 feet *
Naval Attack: 4 x 500 lb SAP Bomb

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by castor troy -- 9/23/2020 5:03:12 PM >

Post #: 1060
RE: AAR 1944 - 9/23/2020 5:32:26 PM   
Bif1961

I am sure he felt behind scheduled as he had suffered a series of reversals in his previous attempts to start a meaningful counter-offensive. The loses he had suffered in carriers, surface forces and LCUs during those operations probably led to a feeling of going for something deep and damaging to the Japanese. Forcing Japan to abandon India by capturing Calcutta and Diamond Harbor complex would have give him the operational initiative and made the Japanese react to his moves and started a major land campaign where his large numbers of LCUs and aircraft could make their weight felt. Lack of recon help the fog of war to the whereabouts of the KB and the troops currently stationed in Calcutta. Fortunes of war and good spidey sense of the Japanese player is making this a very costly affair.

Post #: 1061
RE: AAR 1944 - 9/23/2020 5:58:28 PM   
castor troy

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Feb 07, 44
Night Time Surface Combat, near Vizagapatnam at 43,47, Range 11,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Tone
CL Oyodo
DD Kiyoshimo
DD Arashio
DD Minegumo
DD Arare
DD Uranami

Allied Ships
xAK Jalayamuna, Shell hits 11, and is sunk

we have ordered all ships back to Calcutta, that's a damaged freighter we stumble into...

Improved night sighting under 96% moonlight
Maximum visibility in Partly Cloudy Conditions and 96% moonlight: 11,000 yards
CONTACT: Japanese radar detects Allied task force at 28,000 yards
CA Tone engages xAK Jalayamuna at 11,000 yards
DD Arare engages xAK Jalayamuna at 11,000 yards
DD Kiyoshimo engages xAK Jalayamuna at 11,000 yards
DD Arare engages xAK Jalayamuna at 9,000 yards
CA Tone engages xAK Jalayamuna at 7,000 yards
DD Uranami engages xAK Jalayamuna at 7,000 yards
DD Kiyoshimo engages xAK Jalayamuna at 7,000 yards
xAK Jalayamuna sunk by CA Tone at 8,000 yards
xAK Jalayamuna sunk by CA Tone at 8,000 yards

Sub attack near Chichi-jima at 110,74

Japanese Ships
xAK Hoshi Maru, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
PB Yahonui Maru
xAK Kaiyo Maru #3
PB Daitei Maru
PB Genmei Maru
PB Uruboko Maru

Allied Ships
SS Sand Lance

losing an empty freighter...

SS Sand Lance launches 4 torpedoes at xAK Hoshi Maru
Sand Lance diving deep ....
PB Daitei Maru fails to find sub and abandons search
PB Genmei Maru fails to find sub and abandons search
PB Uruboko Maru attacking submerged sub ....
PB Uruboko Maru fails to find sub, continues to search...

Sub attack near Diamond Harbour at 52,38

Japanese Ships
DD Yugiri, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage
CA Chokai
CA Maya
DD Ayanami
DD Hatsukaze
DD Ushio
DD Sazanami
DD Akebono
DD Oboro

Allied Ships
SS Devilfish, hits 7

damn it... in a base hex... Yugiri is hit and sinks instantly...

SS Devilfish launches 2 torpedoes at DD Yugiri
DD Ushio attacking submerged sub ....
DD Sazanami fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Akebono fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Oboro fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Akebono fails to find sub, continues to search...

24 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
CA Suzuya
CA Mikuma
CA Chokai
CA Maya
CA Chikuma
CL Jintsu
CL Naka
DD Ushio
DD Sazanami
DD Akebono
DD Oboro
DD Sagiri
DD Ayanami
DD Shirakumo
DD Natsugumo
DD Tokitsukaze
DD Natsushio
DD Hatsukaze

Allied ground losses:
816 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 11 destroyed, 73 disabled
Engineers: 4 destroyed, 23 disabled
Guns lost 12 (2 destroyed, 10 disabled)
Vehicles lost 28 (4 destroyed, 24 disabled)

Airbase hits 4
Airbase supply hits 4
Runway hits 45
Port hits 13
Port supply hits 3

CL Jintsu firing at 217th Coast AA Regiment
217th Coast AA Regiment firing at CL Jintsu
DD Sagiri firing at 217th Coast AA Regiment
217th Coast AA Regiment firing at DD Sagiri
DD Shirakumo firing at 3rd Fleet Advn Base Force
DD Hatsukaze firing at 217th Coast AA Regiment
217th Coast AA Regiment firing at DD Hatsukaze

Submarine attack near Koggala at 30,51

Japanese Ships
SS I-39, hits 1

Allied Ships
xAP Duchess of Bedford, Shell hits 1, Torpedo hits 4, heavy damage

fat transport sunk off Ceylon... this is one of the things that surprised me, to see such ships being in the invasion of the Calcutta area, the enemy must have really put everything afloat he could muster for this operation...

xAP Duchess of Bedford is sighted by SS I-39
SS I-39 attacking on the surface

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1062
RE: AAR 1944 - 9/23/2020 6:02:15 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

I think that the only way that he could have trapped the Japanese Army in India would have been to quickly capture all of Burma and somehow put an effective blockade of the sea lanes into place. With his previous losses and the Japanese strength, I don't think that it would be possible no completely do so. A painful withdrawl maybe, but complete destruction.

Burma would have been even worse for him. Why? Because KB would have been able to be in range within three days on normal speed. Now take all what you have seen in terms of ship losses and add troops aboard. Literally all sunk ships didn't carry any troops anymore, some did and some carried aircraft. The way it is now he has landed all troops in good shape, landing in Burma would have been a massacre to convoys full of troops.

If the KB was still at Truk, a Burmese invasion would have been possible. With the forces that you have and where, he would have been better off slowly taking India. He wants to keep going for the big kill, the spectacular thing. He is better off walking before running.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Post #: 1063
RE: AAR 1944 - 9/23/2020 6:22:20 PM   
castor troy

quote:

quote:

quote:

If the KB was still at Truk, a Burmese invasion would have been possible. With the forces that you have and where, he would have been better off slowly taking India. He wants to keep going for the big kill, the spectacular thing. He is better off walking before running.

With KB at Truk he could have landed anywhere that is outside of KB's reach

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 1064
RE: AAR 1944 - 9/23/2020 7:33:40 PM   
castor troy

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Feb 08, 44
Sub attack near Diamond Harbour at 52,38

Japanese Ships
CL Jintsu, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
CA Chokai
DD Asagiri
DD Natsugumo
DD Natsushio
DD Ushio
DD Sazanami
DD Akebono
DD Oboro

Allied Ships
SS Sea Rover

damn it, next ship hit in a base hex... preferre this to a DD hit though as the CL won't sink and can be repaired...

SS Sea Rover launches 4 torpedoes at CL Jintsu
DD Ushio fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Sazanami fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Akebono fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Oboro fails to find sub and abandons search

Sub attack near Iriomote at 92,62

Japanese Ships
SC CHa-49, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage
SC CHa-52

Allied Ships
SS Pogy

wth, happy times for the enemy subs currently?

SS Pogy launches 2 torpedoes at SC CHa-49
Pogy diving deep ....
SC CHa-52 fails to find sub, continues to search...

36 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
CA Suzuya
CA Mikuma
CA Chokai
CA Maya
CA Chikuma
CL Jintsu
CL Naka
DD Ushio
DD Sazanami
DD Akebono
DD Oboro
DD Sagiri
DD Asagiri
DD Ayanami
DD Shirakumo
DD Natsugumo
DD Tokitsukaze
DD Natsushio
DD Hatsukaze

Allied ground losses:
1015 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Non Combat: 13 destroyed, 79 disabled
Engineers: 6 destroyed, 11 disabled
Guns lost 9 (1 destroyed, 8 disabled)
Vehicles lost 21 (4 destroyed, 17 disabled)

Airbase hits 10
Airbase supply hits 4
Runway hits 33
Port hits 12
Port supply hits 4

CA Chikuma firing at 217th Coast AA Regiment
217th Coast AA Regiment firing at CA Chikuma
CL Jintsu firing at Diamond Harbour
DD Asagiri firing at Diamond Harbour
DD Tokitsukaze firing at 217th Coast AA Regiment
DD Natsushio firing at 217th Coast AA Regiment
217th Coast AA Regiment firing at DD Natsushio

Night Naval bombardment of Diamond Harbour at 52,38

Japanese Ships
BB Musashi
BB Yamato
BB Nagato
CLAA Tatsuta
CLAA Tenryu
DD Suzukaze
DD Umikaze
DD Kawakaze
DD Yamakaze
DD Samidare
DD Yudachi
DD Harusame
DD Murasame
DD Shigure

Allied ground losses:
675 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 18 destroyed, 44 disabled
Engineers: 5 destroyed, 9 disabled
Guns lost 11 (5 destroyed, 6 disabled)
Vehicles lost 14 (3 destroyed, 11 disabled)

Airbase hits 8
Airbase supply hits 5
Runway hits 14
Port hits 8
Port supply hits 1

BB Musashi firing at Diamond Harbour
BB Yamato firing at Diamond Harbour
BB Nagato firing at Diamond Harbour
CLAA Tatsuta firing at Diamond Harbour
CLAA Tenryu firing at Diamond Harbour
DD Suzukaze firing at Diamond Harbour
DD Umikaze firing at Diamond Harbour
DD Kawakaze firing at Diamond Harbour
DD Yamakaze firing at Diamond Harbour
DD Samidare firing at Diamond Harbour
DD Yudachi firing at Diamond Harbour
DD Harusame firing at Diamond Harbour
DD Murasame firing at Diamond Harbour
DD Shigure firing at Diamond Harbour

Sub attack near Trincomalee at 32,51

Japanese Ships
SS I-39

Allied Ships
xAP Empress ' Australia

bad performance...

SS I-39 launches 2 torpedoes at xAP Empress ' Australia

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid detected at 199 NM, estimated altitude 28,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
N1K2-J George x 111
Ki-49-IIb Helen x 62

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-49-IIb Helen: 25 damaged
Ki-49-IIb Helen: 1 destroyed by flak

Aircraft Attacking:
20 x Ki-49-IIb Helen bombing from 26000 feet
Airfield Attack: 4 x 250 kg GP Bomb
4 x Ki-49-IIb Helen bombing from 26000 feet
5 x Ki-49-IIb Helen bombing from 26000 feet

Raid detected at 200 NM, estimated altitude 26,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
N1K2-J George x 40
Ki-49-IIb Helen x 25

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-49-IIb Helen: 21 damaged

Aircraft Attacking:
13 x Ki-49-IIb Helen bombing from 26000 feet

Raid detected at 196 NM, estimated altitude 30,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 62 minutes

Japanese aircraft
N1K2-J George x 17
Ki-49-IIb Helen x 26

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-49-IIb Helen: 10 damaged

Aircraft Attacking:
15 x Ki-49-IIb Helen bombing from 26000 feet

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by castor troy -- 9/23/2020 7:34:01 PM >

Post #: 1065
RE: AAR 1944 - 9/23/2020 7:39:30 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

quote:

quote:

A far better solution would have been to ignore India completely. Sumatra, Hokkaido or even deep for the jugular of the Bonins or Ryukyu would have resulted in the "big kill".

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 1066
RE: AAR 1944 - 9/24/2020 1:23:38 PM   
Alpha77

Japanese aircraft
N1K2-J George x 40
Ki-49-IIb Helen x 25

Whow 44ish Allied radar can detect high flying formations at 200nm?

So Castor, did you fake the KB still being at Truk ? Or what indication could the Allies have had that KB would not interfere with this Calcutta OP? Which must be a quite certain one, considering his air protection was not best, how many carriers did he send to provide protection for one of the biggest invasion fleets perhaps in history?

And btw. I am not only critizing the Allied ops in this last adventure but have read severall more pages of this AAR. Eg. I remember another invasion (in the Marshalls)..and I was thinking, hopefully he brings at least 5-6 CVs and 8-10 CVes as protection for this invasion. Then I read further and it turned out to be only 4-5 CVs plus a lot of CVEs, however they were out of position. 3 CVEs did not even had a single fighter in the air. And he "charged" with this already too small force right into the Marshalls. As if the IJ had lost over half of the KB.CAs,BBs, had serious fighter losses and not developed any new fighter. So his first strikes were decimated by Franks on CAP while KB waited..Ofc this op was smashed too..plus severall events putting good forces too far forward. Plus seemingly attacking the same target 2-3 times when the first wave was already decimated. Yes one forgets often to turn on/off missions and own planes get slaughtered this way (happens to me) but not a dozen times in the same area.

Edit, 2 other examples:
-Trying in 3/42 too evacuate or reeinforce Rabaul with bigger transports fleets and bigger cruisers SF fleet (note the date: 42!)
-Building forts to 6 at Changsa and then abandon it so not only the city as present for the IJA but also 6 forts. Then later trying to re-take city ofc failing. 2-3 Chinese corps as sacrifice to get the forts down and slow the IJA would have been the better course.

Btw, I also make grave errors, eg. I forgot to undock a 2xCL+DDs fleet and enemy cruisers showed up with predictable results. Also I left 2 big IJN mining cruisers in air range, plus I neclected air cover for a 4 x SHIMAKAZE fleet, this is the best DD Japan gets, 3 of em sunk. Also was too careless not trying to defend Merauke (even if it is quite isolated I was not sure how to accomplish anything there, but for free?), giving Allies a good forward base. In the last moment I flew some troops in but the enemy paratroopers overwhelmed them.

Sending in some Helens then which accomplished some good hits. But then forgot to turn the raid OFF, as I was 95% sure next turn the base has a CAP and 10 Helens shot down.

< Message edited by Alpha77 -- 9/24/2020 8:12:08 PM >

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 1067
RE: AAR 1944 - 9/25/2020 3:44:05 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

quote:

your ship exp is going to insane soon ... you'll have 50% of your surface fleet with +80 exp soon!

Not really skyrocketing. I've got some ships that are above 80 now (including Musashi) but most haven't gained any experience. Found out that only dealing and RECEIVING damage leads to real gains. Why? No idea.

Interesting. I know I've seen my ships gain exp from bombardment ... now there could be a cap on that gain for that activity though. my gains have always been noted earlier in the war when there are plenty of ships in the 30's - 50's and I've been able to drive them up into the 60's.

Pax

Post #: 1068
RE: AAR 1944 - 9/25/2020 7:48:35 AM   
jdsrae

If he doesn’t try to come again via the Bay of Bengal he’ll have to come overland to try and rescue all those trapped troops.
Whether he has the troops and then whether they make it in time will be interesting to watch!

Currently playing my first PBEM, no house rules Scenario 1 as IJ.
AAR link (no SolInvictus): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 1069
RE: AAR 1944 - 9/25/2020 12:06:44 PM   
Alpha77

quote:

Interesting. I know I've seen my ships gain exp from bombardment ... now there could be a cap on that gain for that activity though. my gains have always been noted earlier in the war when there are plenty of ships in the 30's - 50's and I've been able to drive them up into the 60's.

There is a cap for different classes, I can only talk about IJN but here examples:

AO/AR/AV etc = 25/25
PB/E = 45/45
I am not sure about DD + bigger combat ships I believe 65/65

These are max peacetime exp levels, want more ex=needs combat.
But shooting up defenseless xAKs with your DDs will not yield much if at all exp.I believe none if you are over 65 or 70 already.

< Message edited by Alpha77 -- 9/25/2020 12:08:27 PM >

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 1070
RE: AAR 1944 - 9/25/2020 1:12:26 PM   
castor troy

quote:

Japanese aircraft
N1K2-J George x 40
Ki-49-IIb Helen x 25

Whow 44ish Allied radar can detect high flying formations at 200nm?

So Castor, did you fake the KB still being at Truk ? Or what indication could the Allies have had that KB would not interfere with this Calcutta OP? Which must be a quite certain one, considering his air protection was not best, how many carriers did he send to provide protection for one of the biggest invasion fleets perhaps in history?

And btw. I am not only critizing the Allied ops in this last adventure but have read severall more pages of this AAR. Eg. I remember another invasion (in the Marshalls)..and I was thinking, hopefully he brings at least 5-6 CVs and 8-10 CVes as protection for this invasion. Then I read further and it turned out to be only 4-5 CVs plus a lot of CVEs, however they were out of position. 3 CVEs did not even had a single fighter in the air. And he "charged" with this already too small force right into the Marshalls. As if the IJ had lost over half of the KB.CAs,BBs, had serious fighter losses and not developed any new fighter. So his first strikes were decimated by Franks on CAP while KB waited..Ofc this op was smashed too..plus severall events putting good forces too far forward. Plus seemingly attacking the same target 2-3 times when the first wave was already decimated. Yes one forgets often to turn on/off missions and own planes get slaughtered this way (happens to me) but not a dozen times in the same area.

Edit, 2 other examples:
-Trying in 3/42 too evacuate or reeinforce Rabaul with bigger transports fleets and bigger cruisers SF fleet (note the date: 42!)
-Building forts to 6 at Changsa and then abandon it so not only the city as present for the IJA but also 6 forts. Then later trying to re-take city ofc failing. 2-3 Chinese corps as sacrifice to get the forts down and slow the IJA would have been the better course.

Btw, I also make grave errors, eg. I forgot to undock a 2xCL+DDs fleet and enemy cruisers showed up with predictable results. Also I left 2 big IJN mining cruisers in air range, plus I neclected air cover for a 4 x SHIMAKAZE fleet, this is the best DD Japan gets, 3 of em sunk. Also was too careless not trying to defend Merauke (even if it is quite isolated I was not sure how to accomplish anything there, but for free?), giving Allies a good forward base. In the last moment I flew some troops in but the enemy paratroopers overwhelmed them.

Sending in some Helens then which accomplished some good hits. But then forgot to turn the raid OFF, as I was 95% sure next turn the base has a CAP and 10 Helens shot down.

No, I didn't fake anything about the whereabouts of KB, I just didn't use my carriers like most IJ players do. No reason to go convoy raiding or bombing some bases, none at all. I've just kept ALL carriers together, waiting for the next decisive battle to come. As I've expected the SRA to be the target, Singapore wasn't an unexpected base for KB. From there I could reach anywhere to counter an invasion in the SRA, or do the same what we have done in the Bay of Bengal in areas like the Kuriles, Luzon, Marshalls... the only area where we couldn't react was the South Pacific, but frankly, it's 44 and I don't give much about the outer defensive perimeter (doesn't mean it's not defended). I had KB just sitting in port, saving fuel, avoiding damage, being an unknown threat. In the meantime I was asked several times to attack the Kuriles or Ceylon for example. No, I just kept the carriers where they were and waited.

As to the number of carriers to defend his big fleet. Hmmm, I guess he has pretty much sent ALL he had. Probably halve a dozen CV/CVL plus halve a dozen CVE. The CVE died near Diamond Harbour and his CV/CVL were able to run away when they depleted their air arm against KB (1350 carrier based ac!) and due to my idiotic decision to have all my bombers stood down to sneak North to attack the Allied fleet as I didn't expect his carriers to suddenly turn South.

Mundy is/was in a desperate situation and there were two reasons for this: he lost his four carriers in 42 and then he lost another five plus a dozen CVE in mid 43. That's not something the Allied can shrug off easily. KB has lost NO ships. Not sure how many times you have seen the IJ player operating carrier groups that base 1350 aircraft and in a couple of months this will exceed 1500 aircraft! Then I will have received all carriers I wanted to build, Shinano was cancelled and the rest is forming my super KB.

I know it's easy to critisize operations that go wrong (I'm doing this quite often ) but in the end, Mundy hasn't done much we don't see in other campaigns over and over. He defended forward, something that's the new or modern way to play WITP AE as the Allied it seems. Lol, I was always advocating for a Sir Robin until a certain line, then smash the IJ. Forward defense only works for the Allied if the Japanese player doesn't know how to use his assets. If a forward defense works then it's because the IJ player didn't know how to use a 3 or 4:1 advantage. Mundy tried that at Rabaul, he kept me from taking it the time I wanted it to take. Did I panic like many players did? No, I just left the base alone, isolated it. Took what I wanted to take and finally took Rabaul. Losses were high for the Allied. He did a forward defense at Port Blair. Port Blair? Unlike many or most IJ players, I didn't care about Port Blair. Couple of months later when the defenders there ran out of supply I landed and took it easily. Again, waste of Allied assets. On the other hand, players get applauded in their AARs if this kind of defense works, but like I've mentioned before, if such a defense works against the odds the Japanese have in 42 then it's not a genius behind the defense but a failure in the Japanese offensive.

He used his carriers agressively in mid 42, he did it once, twice and the third time he ended up next to KB. Booom! First decisive blow to the Allied and carrier superiority for the IJN for the next 18 months. Then mid 43 came. He did the same as most Allied players would do. He had 800 carrier based ac and he moved a big invasion fleet against a target. Now imagine I would have done what many IJ players do, split their carriers in two groups then it would have been 1:1 in carrier based ac or even worse for me. A target in my outer perimeter. Nothing wrong so far. What does the average IJ player in such a case? Chasing in with KB to attack the enemy carriers. I had KB at Truk and no, my goal wasn't to engage the carriers but the invasion fleet, so I took a big detour and moved around the Allied fleet and attacked them from behind, better say from the North while Mundy expected me to show up from West where he moved his carriers to. Not trying to sound arrogant but that move with KB was my best tactical move in this campaign so far. As to his carriers fighting my LBA fighters, well, all he could do was standing down his bombers. Who would do that when he expected to fight KB. I had 1100 carrier based ac by that time and no, I wouldn't have wanted to attack the Allied carriers head on, I even planned to run after the initial strike at his invasion fleet if the enemy carriers would still have all their aircraft. But they had to fight my LBA for three days IIRC losing a couple of hundred aircraft both to defense as well as to offensive strikes. When KB was bombing the invasion fleet for two days he decided to turn around with his carriers and engaged KB. That was a fault, he should have just moved away with his carriers, leaving the rest to die. And the result of this was that even though the Allied carriers were depleting their air arm earlier they were still able to down hundreds of my bombers even though the enemy carriers died which lead to a total victory in the Marshalls. But from there on, KB didn't have enough bombers to finish all the rest of the fleeing ships.

I'm not playing like most IJ players do. I never split my carriers so I always have a Schwerpunkt. This of course leads to the problem that if someone fools me and KB moves the wrong way the backdoor is far open. In this campaign, we will see a super KB carrying 1500+ aircraft in mid 44. Not sure I've seen this in any AAR before, just like the invasion at Calcutta, never seen anything that big. And to top this, in mid 44 I will start replacing the Zekes with Sams. Means KB will show up with around 950-1000 Sams plus 500 bombers in late 44.

< Message edited by castor troy -- 9/25/2020 1:17:39 PM >

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 1071
RE: AAR 1944 - 9/25/2020 2:06:45 PM   
castor troy

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Feb 09, 44
Submarine attack near Diamond Harbour at 52,38

Japanese Ships
DD Natsugumo
CA Chokai
CA Maya
CA Takao
CL Naka
DD Ayanami
DD Hamakaze
DD Natsushio
DD Ushio
DD Sazanami
DD Akebono
DD Oboro

Allied Ships
SS Devilfish, hits 19, and is sunk

we take revenge for the destroyer that was sunk in the area and the light cruiser that was hit, this time the sub pays for it's attempt...

SS Devilfish launches 2 torpedoes at DD Natsugumo
Devilfish bottoming out ....
DD Sazanami attacking submerged sub ....
DD Akebono attacking submerged sub ....
SS Devilfish forced to surface!
DD Akebono firing on surfaced sub ....
DD Oboro firing on surfaced sub ....
Sub slips beneath the waves

7 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
CA Suzuya
CA Mikuma
CA Chokai
CA Maya
CA Takao
CA Chikuma
CL Naka
DD Ushio
DD Sazanami
DD Akebono
DD Oboro
DD Sagiri
DD Asagiri
DD Ayanami
DD Shirakumo
DD Natsugumo
DD Hamakaze
DD Tokitsukaze
DD Natsushio
DD Hatsukaze

Allied ground losses:
876 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 12 destroyed, 48 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 8 disabled
Guns lost 8 (2 destroyed, 6 disabled)
Vehicles lost 21 (2 destroyed, 19 disabled)

Airbase hits 5
Airbase supply hits 3
Runway hits 37
Port hits 6
Port supply hits 5

18th Marine Defense Battalion firing at CA Chokai
CA Chokai firing at 18th Marine Defense Battalion
CA Takao firing at Diamond Harbour
DD Sagiri firing at 1st Fleet Advn Base Force
DD Asagiri firing at Diamond Harbour
DD Hamakaze firing at 217th Coast AA Regiment
217th Coast AA Regiment firing at DD Hamakaze

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by castor troy -- 9/25/2020 2:07:01 PM >

Post #: 1072
RE: AAR 1944 - 9/25/2020 2:09:49 PM   
castor troy

Sub attack near Bassein at 48,51

Japanese Ships
CVL Ryujo, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
CL Yahagi
CL Noshiro
DD Makigumo
DD Hayanami
DD Fujinami
DD Onami
DD Suzunami

Allied Ships
SS Peto

oh damn it, damn it, damn it... Peto hits with only one torp but that is likely to sink Ryujo as she is 20+ sys 70+ flt 20+ eng due to a devastating follow on explosion in her magazines... the light carrier was split off the carrier group and tries to stay afloat with a single escort nearby... halve a dozen destroyers come in as the ship tries to limp one hex a DAY towards Rangoon... I expect the CVL to sink which is quite a severe loss as she carries 48 aircraft... just had to happen at some point, IIRC that's the first carrier that was hit by a sub...

Ammo storage explosion on CVL Ryujo
SS Peto launches 4 torpedoes at CVL Ryujo
Peto diving deep ....
DD Hayanami fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Fujinami fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Onami fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Suzunami attacking submerged sub ....
DD Hayanami fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Suzunami attacking submerged sub ....
DD Suzunami is out of ASW ammo
DD Suzunami is out of ASW ammo
DD Suzunami fails to find sub, continues to search...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by castor troy -- 9/25/2020 2:10:20 PM >

Post #: 1073
RE: AAR 1944 - 9/25/2020 2:14:21 PM   
castor troy

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Feb 13, 44
Night Naval bombardment of Calcutta at 52,37 - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

16 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
CA Suzuya
CA Mikuma
CA Chokai
CA Maya
CA Takao
CA Chikuma
CL Naka
DD Ushio
DD Sazanami
DD Akebono
DD Oboro
DD Sagiri
DD Asagiri
DD Ayanami
DD Shirakumo
DD Natsugumo
DD Hamakaze
DD Tokitsukaze
DD Natsushio
DD Hatsukaze

Allied ground losses:
238 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 13 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 13 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Guns lost 8 (1 destroyed, 7 disabled)

CA Suzuya firing at 8th Indian Division
CA Mikuma firing at 3rd Marine Division
3rd Marine Division firing at CA Mikuma
CA Chokai firing at 4th Marine Division
4th Marine Division firing at CA Chokai
CA Maya firing at 8th Indian Division
E13A1 Jake acting as spotter for CA Takao
CA Takao firing at 6th Infantry Division
CA Chikuma firing at 8th Indian Division
CL Naka firing at 8th Indian Division
DD Ushio firing at 10th Indian Division
DD Sazanami firing at 8th Indian Division
DD Akebono firing at 8th Indian Division
DD Oboro firing at Americal Infantry Division
DD Sagiri firing at 4th Marine Division
4th Marine Division firing at DD Sagiri
DD Asagiri firing at 4th Marine Division
4th Marine Division firing at DD Asagiri
DD Ayanami firing at 25th Infantry Division
DD Shirakumo firing at 8th Indian Division
DD Natsugumo firing at 10th Indian Division
DD Hamakaze firing at Americal Infantry Division
DD Tokitsukaze firing at 10th Indian Division
DD Natsushio firing at 10th Indian Division
DD Hatsukaze firing at 8th Indian Division

Raid detected at 200 NM, estimated altitude 28,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
N1K2-J George x 114
Ki-49-IIb Helen x 75

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-49-IIb Helen: 32 damaged

Runway hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
26 x Ki-49-IIb Helen bombing from 26000 feet
19 x Ki-49-IIb Helen bombing from 26000 feet

Raid detected at 197 NM, estimated altitude 28,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
N1K2-J George x 12
Ki-49-IIb Helen x 19

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-49-IIb Helen: 8 damaged

Aircraft Attacking:
17 x Ki-49-IIb Helen bombing from 26000 feet

Raid detected at 197 NM, estimated altitude 28,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-49-IIb Helen x 12

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-49-IIb Helen: 7 damaged

Runway hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:

Raid detected at 199 NM, estimated altitude 30,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-49-IIb Helen x 11

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-49-IIb Helen: 3 damaged

Aircraft Attacking:
10 x Ki-49-IIb Helen bombing from 26000 feet

Ground combat at Poona (36,26)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 3234 troops, 40 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 120

Defending force 6132 troops, 4 guns, 942 vehicles, Assault Value = 571

Allied adjusted assault: 65

Japanese adjusted defense: 163

Allied assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 0)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), op mode(-), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
Vehicles lost 12 (1 destroyed, 11 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
230 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 40 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Mundy is mopping up Western India now as two para units enter Poona which is an important railroad station in the area... recon has kept an eye on them and we had our tank rgts nearby to rail them in when the Allied attack... damage done was light as all my units are still in strat mode for this day but we have ordered an attack tomorrow that should shred the enemy... should HAVE shred the enemy as guess what, the enemy moved out of the hex tomorrow!!! OMFG how the hell could those infantry units move 45 miles in ONE day??? When my tanks tried to attack the enemy already teleported South on the road... we followed them the next days and the two units were able to move faster than my tank rgts... something is so seriously wrong with land combat/movement it just hurts...

Assaulting units:
3rd USMC Parachute Battalion
50th Indian Para Brigade

Defending units:
9th Tank Regiment
3rd Tank Regiment
18th Tank Regiment
4th Tank Regiment
2nd Tank Regiment
11th Tank Regiment
22nd Tank Regiment
8th Tank Regiment
19th Tank Regiment
12th Tank Regiment
14th Tank Regiment
23rd Tank Regiment
3rd South Seas Gsn

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1074
RE: AAR 1944 - 9/25/2020 3:33:32 PM   
Alpha77

Hope I did not sound to damning on the Allies, I am not an expert at all. Also your own moves of course led to the disasters too, not only Allies faulty planning.

I have some ideas how I would have approached the Marshalls OP as Allied in a somewhat safer way, but do not want to share them (my opponent may read)

Also I agree about KB employment, I do this wrong at the moment, sailing around trying to hit something of worth. But I can only afford this because the former Allied player in my game lost so many CVs, Actually your opponent reminds me a bit on my 1st opponent (he gave up end of 42 or so - I found then another Allied player who seems more careful or methoticly and rarely gives one the chance for "cheap shots"). However the big ships BBs/CVs eat just too much fuel sailing around, rather stockpile this fuel in the HI for the future running the industry at full speed. The newer CAs and DDs of the Japanese however are quite efficient fuel wise.

Btw, how do you organize KB ? In my case I have a main fast KB and a slow one, but at the moment operating seperatly. I use the slow one more for defense and the fast one for offense (if the Allied actually would present a target to hit, which he does very rarely lol). If a serious thread exists I combine the 2 in the same hex.

< Message edited by Alpha77 -- 9/25/2020 3:42:06 PM >

Post #: 1075
RE: AAR 1944 - 9/26/2020 3:14:16 AM   
jdsrae

CT, did you save the pilots from Ryujo by sending them to general reserve?
The planes can be replaced easier than those pilots.
I figure that transferring the pilots off the CV even though they can’t fly off is like letting them climb down a cargo net into a Destroyer, which later transfers them ashore.

Currently playing my first PBEM, no house rules Scenario 1 as IJ.
AAR link (no SolInvictus): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 1076
RE: AAR 1944 - 9/26/2020 10:21:04 AM   
castor troy

quote:

I figure that transferring the pilots off the CV even though they can’t fly off is like letting them climb down a cargo net into a Destroyer, which later transfers them ashore.

Ryujo is safe, so are the pilots. She was towed back into harbour which took over a week.

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 1077
RE: AAR 1944 - 9/26/2020 10:30:13 AM   
castor troy

quote:

Hope I did not sound to damning on the Allies, I am not an expert at all. Also your own moves of course led to the disasters too, not only Allies faulty planning.

I have some ideas how I would have approached the Marshalls OP as Allied in a somewhat safer way, but do not want to share them (my opponent may read)

Also I agree about KB employment, I do this wrong at the moment, sailing around trying to hit something of worth. But I can only afford this because the former Allied player in my game lost so many CVs, Actually your opponent reminds me a bit on my 1st opponent (he gave up end of 42 or so - I found then another Allied player who seems more careful or methoticly and rarely gives one the chance for "cheap shots"). However the big ships BBs/CVs eat just too much fuel sailing around, rather stockpile this fuel in the HI for the future running the industry at full speed. The newer CAs and DDs of the Japanese however are quite efficient fuel wise.

Btw, how do you organize KB ? In my case I have a main fast KB and a slow one, but at the moment operating seperatly. I use the slow one more for defense and the fast one for offense (if the Allied actually would present a target to hit, which he does very rarely lol). If a serious thread exists I combine the 2 in the same hex.

Super KB are actually three carrier groups. The first one consisting of the carriers that were forming the "real" KB reinforced by Shokaku, Zuikaku and some Unryu class CVs, something like 650+ carrier based aircraft. Covered by the Kongos, Akizuki and Yugumo class DDs. Second group are a couple of Unryus and the slower carriers like Junyo and Hiyo plus some CVL. Last group are the CVEs that carry only fighters (pure CAP as the CVE can't provide enough sorties for offensive operations), usually 27 each except Hosho that carries 20. In total some 1350 carrier based aircraft in three groups. First "fast" group could go 8 hexes max speed, second group can go 7 and the CVE can move 6 on max speed. I rarely use max speed for the carriers though and each group can move 4 hexes on mission speed, usually resulting in 9 hexes per day.

All this is lead by the surface combat group around the evil twins which results in a very potent force. Add in an ASW group or two depending on how high I rate the sub threat. When this force leaves port and returns low on fuel after mission accomplished it sucks up way over 100,000 tons of fuel.

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 1078
RE: AAR 1944 - 9/27/2020 2:02:10 AM   
29000Kevin

quote:

quote:

Ryujo is safe, so are the pilots. She was towed back into harbour which took over a week.

The Ryujo made it through the ammo detonation of death and destruction?

Wow I'm impressed and surprised that the large CVL survived through that punishment, I guess Japanese Fire Control actually learned some lessons from the lost of the IJN Furutaka and IJN Kinugasa and put them into great use for once.

Still the CVL is mission killed for the half of the year presumably and won't be available for the next Carrier showdown and those 47 planes would've been quite useful.

Oh if you haven't noticed I'm new here, I've have been lurking on this form for half the year now and I have already read this entire AAR and some other's.

Now with the ability to speak my thoughts I can ask every question I ever wanted to for the last 5 months .

Don't worry I have enough self control so my questions will not flood you or appear at the same time rather slowly instead (I've only just Registered like 20 minutes ago).

But I have to scratch the itches that keeps annoying me in my brain whenever I read the AAR so here goes my first of probably many questions to come in the future.
(Don't worry I only have like 6 other questions stored in my brain since other people on the form have already asked them (like the fate of the Ryujo) so I'm not going to pester you to death CT )

So the first actual question:
Did you have the option to build the Shinano as a Yamato-Class hull instead of the giant piece of rubbish that had the exact same capacity of the CVL Ryujo?

Or did the mod and scenario prevent you from doing that, I know building Shinano would = something like 10-25,000 planes not being built plus wasted everything in the economy but it would've been nice to have a third evil Sister + Airplane magnet, the China and Indian Industry were under Japanese control so building the late 44 monster would've been possible.

Second question
What vehicle types are you using in your I forces stationed on India and Calcutta?

I just wanted to know so we have a general idea of what Japan has against the American M4 Sherman's and British tanks.
Maybe I can come up with some bs explanation of how American and Indian Paratroopers are able to out run the IJA Tank regiments, maybe counter-paratroopers are the answer to that problem...

And my third and last question for the night
Is Bombay being turned into a bloody fortress?

That city has always been infamous for most AAR's I read of Japan invasion of India scenario with the city commonly being turned into a unbreakable fortress of 200K supplies, not even a daily BB bombardment could break it before the AAR ended.

Of course any units sent into there will all be dead, unless a air evacuation of some elements of it are possible, but we are talking about the Imperial Japanese Army here not the Navy.

The army can easily get re-bought and reequipped by the time September 1945 rolls and the Soviets attack.

1944 is the year the IJA gets it's emergency reinforcements and it's best AA guns it can field, it would be handy to station some of the best AA guns Japan has to offer to Bombay via Airlift since the city will become the no.1 bomb target for 4E and 2E bombers if defended.

Or Mundy could just turn it into a POW camp, Bombers getting free exp (and ops losses), still a half hearted defense must be done to destroy/damage the city.

------------------------------------------
Also side note but credit where credits due Mundy pulled off one of the most largest and impressive amphibious operations in Witp history, even if he got unlucky/lucky with it with the destruction of most of his dedicated landing ships and surface combat forces + the guns of Calcutta firing back at his invasion.

If the KB and IJAAF weren't cursed in the region then the carnage would have been so much worse.

Post #: 1079
RE: AAR 1944 - 9/28/2020 4:49:05 PM   
castor troy

Hi and welcome to the forum as an active member!

Don't hesitate to ask, that's one thing an AAR is there for.

To be honest, losing a carrier to one torp would be really bad luck, even if it's just a CVL. It was enough bad luck to suffer the ammo storage explosion but usually a single torp isn't enough to get it done. Mind the carriers aren't somewhere far in the South Pacific, they are just a one day normal (undamaged movement) from a level 8 port. Ryujo's size is ok to move up the river to Rangoon.

No option to build Shinano as a BB, if I had, I would have built her. Not going to spend some 150+ nav building pts per day to have a heavily armored CV with an aircraft capacity of 50. I've always thought the comparison to build xy aircraft instead of a ship is a bit mood as shipyards don't build aircraft and even comparing the needed ressources, aircraft aren't built of that much steel either.

All tank units have upgraded to the latest tanks, no idea which ones they are. No expert on Japanese tanks here and they are pretty much all the same when it comes down to their soft value, only the hard value is increasing on the later IJA "medium" tank if you want to call it so. I'd give way more on a short barreled anti inf tank like an early PzIV as you mostly fight enemy infantry.

Bombay is defended but it's neither as important nor as heavily defended as Calcutta. It's a stop gap not easily taken.

(in reply to 29000Kevin)
Post #: 1080
Page:   <<   < prev  34 35 [36] 37 38   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: AAR 1944 Page: <<   < prev  34 35 [36] 37 38   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI