Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

If you ever wanted to see an RAF Tallboy bomb explode

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> If you ever wanted to see an RAF Tallboy bomb explode Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
If you ever wanted to see an RAF Tallboy bomb explode - 10/14/2020 1:03:29 PM   
JohnDillworth

This is probably your last chance:
https://www.reuters.com/article/poland-bomb-tallboy/biggest-world-war-two-bomb-found-in-poland-explodes-while-being-defused-idINKBN26Y2IM

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
Post #: 1
RE: If you ever wanted to see an RAF Tallboy bomb explode - 10/14/2020 1:15:34 PM   
JohnDillworth

Seems those bombs make a big hole in things:

Attachment (1)

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 2
RE: If you ever wanted to see an RAF Tallboy bomb explode - 10/14/2020 1:30:06 PM   
btd64

....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

Post #: 3
RE: If you ever wanted to see an RAF Tallboy bomb explode - 10/14/2020 2:25:14 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

Seems those bombs make a big hole in things:

That looks like pocket battleship Lutzow. IIRC, Hitler ordered her scrapped or sunk as a blockship after she was heavily damaged by one of the bombing attacks. He was frustrated that his big ships achieved so little of propaganda value while being costly to keep in service thanks to persistent British attacks. The Wehrmacht needed men, and taking a big ship out of service delivered a thousand or more of them. He could also get some high quality steel for the tanks he loved so much.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 4
RE: If you ever wanted to see an RAF Tallboy bomb explode - 10/14/2020 2:54:43 PM   
geofflambert

If they used a charge to destroy the bomb, that likely wasn't the full yield. All the divers survived so it looks like they did that on purpose.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 5
RE: If you ever wanted to see an RAF Tallboy bomb explode - 10/14/2020 3:08:06 PM   
JohnDillworth

Apparently the name Lutzow could apply to 3 ships. One was a WWI BC....I think that one was scrapped. The next one was a CA that was sold to the U.S.S.R while incomplete but did fire some shots in anger from 2 working turrets. Then there was the pocket battleship Deutschland, which was completed but Hitler thought it would be bad for moral if the ship named after the country was sunk so it was renamed Lutzow. Interesting thing is that they are not quite sure what happened to her after the Soviet occupation. For a long time it was thought she was scrapped in 1947 but it turns out that was the OTHER Lutzow. It is thought that this one was raised and then sunk on the way to the breakers but the records are not clear. Interesting design with 2x3 turrets of 11" guns and fast. Didn't do much outside of the Baltic but a bold design choice

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

That looks like pocket battleship Lutzow. IIRC, Hitler ordered her scrapped or sunk as a blockship after she was heavily damaged by one of the bombing attacks. He was frustrated that his big ships achieved so little of propaganda value while being costly to keep in service thanks to persistent British attacks. The Wehrmacht needed men, and taking a big ship out of service delivered a thousand or more of them. He could also get some high quality steel for the tanks he loved so much.

< Message edited by JohnDillworth -- 10/14/2020 3:22:48 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 6
RE: If you ever wanted to see an RAF Tallboy bomb explode - 10/14/2020 4:15:52 PM   
RangerJoe

That bomb was the little version. That specific detonation may not have been of a full order of magnitude due to age of the explosives plus the way that it was being deactivated. I have seen videos of bigger blasts from my area. Shallower hole but a larger area affected. The earth rattled several miles away. It seemed to be on a schedule as well . . .

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Post #: 7
RE: If you ever wanted to see an RAF Tallboy bomb explode - 10/14/2020 8:01:41 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

That bomb was the little version. That specific detonation may not have been of a full order of magnitude due to age of the explosives plus the way that it was being deactivated. I have seen videos of bigger blasts from my area. Shallower hole but a larger area affected. The earth rattled several miles away. It seemed to be on a schedule as well . . .

Little version? AFAIK all Tallboy bombs weighed in at six tons. The only thing bigger at the time was the 11 ton Grand Slam - is that what you refer to?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 8
RE: If you ever wanted to see an RAF Tallboy bomb explode - 10/14/2020 8:10:02 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

Little version? AFAIK all Tallboy bombs weighed in at six tons. The only thing bigger at the time was the 11 ton Grand Slam - is that what you refer to?

To put it simply, yes.

― Julia Child

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 9
RE: If you ever wanted to see an RAF Tallboy bomb explode - 10/14/2020 8:18:23 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

To put it simply, yes.

AFAIK, Grand Slam was never used against ships - it was the "earthquake bomb" designed to destroy structures by landing nearby and boring into the earth where it would explode and create a void under the structure, causing it to collapse. The Lancaster had to have the bomb bay doors removed to be able to sling the bomb partly in the bomb bay, partly hanging below the aircraft. Must have been dicey taking off with that thing!

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 10
RE: If you ever wanted to see an RAF Tallboy bomb explode - 10/14/2020 8:23:23 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

To put it simply, yes.

AFAIK, Grand Slam was never used against ships - it was the "earthquake bomb" designed to destroy structures by landing nearby and boring into the earth where it would explode and create a void under the structure, causing it to collapse. The Lancaster had to have the bomb bay doors removed to be able to sling the bomb partly in the bomb bay, partly hanging below the aircraft. Must have been dicey taking off with that thing!

As long as you could get rid of it before landing, especially if the landing gear did not want to go down . . .

― Julia Child

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 11
RE: If you ever wanted to see an RAF Tallboy bomb explode - 10/14/2020 8:53:40 PM   
JohnDillworth

Since are talking about RAF bombing procedures I can not recommend The Fire and the Darkness: The Bombing of Dresden, 1945 by Sinclair McKay highly enough. Besides the obvious story of the bombing it goes into great detail about how these huge firebombing raids were organized. From the pathfinders lighting the skies with huge flares so they could color mark the target to the bomb loads the Lancaster carried. One 4,000 bomb to open the roofs up and hundreds of incendiaries per plane to burn the exposed buildings. After the first wave burnt a large part of the city down the next group of pathfinders dropped new flares in a different location for the the next wave so they could burn the rest of the city down. The USA 8th Air Force followed up in the morning with a 3rd raid to destroy the marshaling yards to prevent any train service from getting to the eastern front. All of this was exacerbated by the fact that the Wehrmacht has stripped the City of all of it's AA guns to use against the Russians.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 12
RE: If you ever wanted to see an RAF Tallboy bomb explode - 10/15/2020 4:42:46 PM   
Yaab

I expected something more flashy. This was somewhat subdued performance.

< Message edited by Yaab -- 10/15/2020 4:45:34 PM >

Post #: 13
RE: If you ever wanted to see an RAF Tallboy bomb explode - 10/15/2020 7:18:20 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

I expected something more flashy. This was somewhat subdued performance.

Like the Grand Slam, Tallboy was designed to penetrate the earth, concrete, steel, whatever. To keep it from breaking up when it hit something solid, the tip would be armoured and the sidewalls of the bomb would be thick - the time delayed detonator was in the tail section. So proportionally, there would be a lot less explosive and a lot more steel than an ordinary contact bomb.
But when the bomb is already into the vitals of the target, you don't need as much boom anyway.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> If you ever wanted to see an RAF Tallboy bomb explode Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI