Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Demo war story! (pathetic indeed)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Scourge of War Gettysburg Series >> After Action Reports >> Demo war story! (pathetic indeed) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Demo war story! (pathetic indeed) - 10/10/2020 11:08:38 PM   
Protonic2020

Interesting? More hilarious in the sense that though i´m an old avid gamer in any gaming genre there is, i still had a hard time getting into this game, up to this moment of typing this also.
But i guess nobody will be perfectly comfortable with how SOW Gettysburg works at first and right away but i can still appreciate what´s gone into making a game like this and well, what happened then?

I started the demo like a good boy would through the tutorials first movement lesson to try to get familiar with how to move the units around. Thought i knew it basically at least but then came the first engagement, heavy big corps, division level and Meade the general and Grant or whatever and all that, and i felt like a rookie put in charge of something big, important and... expensive which i was sure to mess up or even break, and so i did, but i won?
Well it must have been my excellent technique of being able to totally, or almost totally not being able to maneuver at least not the core of the force in place, i did it... but just a little, some units.

And while trying to get a hang of it all i managed to notice that; "Oh so those units are moving as well? The brigades of, yes, they´re supposed to be under my control indeed. Moved by themselves now or did i do that?", neat nonetheless and i got a score of 1300 something on the lowest difficulty level.
Courier messages and all that flew over my head, too hardcore at this point and i just tried to stick to; "Stay on the eleventh core´s left flank, mainly". I think i did, but most of the units under my command i believe stayed put back in the resting zone instead of helping out at the front, we still won though.

I just typed this little and rather short war story since there´s so little of them here now and i´m a rookie at this ATM. But i would like to see what this game is about when it´s at its best. There´s something there for sure to explore.

< Message edited by Protonic2020 -- 10/10/2020 11:21:05 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Demo war story! (pathetic indeed) - 10/17/2020 4:12:18 PM   
simovitch

You really have to get the "Bugles and Flags" mod or have access to the hotkeys definitions to get full enjoyment from this game. Understanding the consequences of "TCing" your subordinates, and when to give them AI orders is paramount, otherwise it can become the sh**show you describe. Get it right and it can really be a rewarding experience.

I bought all the DLC and user scenarios over the years and my only regret is that there are no more new scenarios for me to play.

simovitch

(in reply to Protonic2020)
Post #: 2
RE: Demo war story! (pathetic indeed) - 10/18/2020 3:40:40 AM   
RebBugler

quote:

ORIGINAL: simovitch

You really have to get the "Bugles and Flags" mod or have access to the hotkeys definitions to get full enjoyment from this game. Understanding the consequences of "TCing" your subordinates, and when to give them AI orders is paramount, otherwise it can become the sh**show you describe. Get it right and it can really be a rewarding experience.

I bought all the DLC and user scenarios over the years and my only regret is that there are no more new scenarios for me to play.

Really appreciated this message...It made my day! The Demo is provided so folks can see the potential of this game, it's unfortunate that some see it broadly as a "pathetic sh**show". Your message defended the game's essence perfectly...It's all about command and control, and learning when to let the AI alone to do its thing once the player has their troops strategically positioned.

Thanks for the B&F promo, with the help of many, this mod has evolved to handle all the command and control necessities this game demands, expanding and assisting the learning curve as the player hones their battle skills.

Really neat to hear you've gone through all the SOW scenarios available, you're definitely a SOW veteran. If you're still interested, this past year we've introduced 32+6 new and revised Gettysburg scenarios that feature SR1 (1:1 sprite to soldier ratio) play. Here's the link to this thread at the NSD forum:

'True Ground SR1' - Scenarios & OOBs

< Message edited by RebBugler -- 10/18/2020 8:53:26 AM >

Designer - Scourge of War

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Scourge of War Gettysburg Series >> After Action Reports >> Demo war story! (pathetic indeed) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI