Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Can the game run in different resolutions?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> Korsun Pocket Support >> Can the game run in different resolutions? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can the game run in different resolutions? - 8/5/2003 6:37:59 AM   
FTW7

I was wondering if anyone can help me. I am having a very hard time seeing the information on the unit counters.
Can I change the games resolution?
I have a 17 inch monitor running at 1024x768.
Maybe I will get used to how small everything looks, compared the TAO, but it very hard to make out the information on the unit counters unless I am very close the my screen, about a foot away.
On another note, KP looks like a fine game otherwise, nice presentation, and the players guide coming printed was a nice touch.
Thanks for your time and a wonderful game

Charlie
Post #: 1
- 8/5/2003 7:27:51 AM   
e_barkmann

Charlie,

as far as I am aware it only runs in 1024x768. I also have a 17' monitor and I remember it took me a couple of days to adjust to the new resolution compared to TAO2 (which is too much "in yo face" imho :-)

However, all the really useful unit information is displayed either as a large right-click popup or on the right hand side of the screen if you left click on the unit - the counters themselves are generally only colour informational - eg colours indicate whether the unit is out of supply, what quality the unit is, how many units are in the stack, Divisional insignia etc...so these should be relatively easy to spot without having to get really up close and personal.

Hope you enjoy the game!

Cheers Chris

(in reply to FTW7)
Post #: 2
- 8/7/2003 1:30:40 AM   
Miller Logan

Anyone know if there might be a work around to change the resolution? I have a LCD monitor with a 1280/1024 native resolution and everything looks better at that resolution.

Just wondering.

(in reply to FTW7)
Post #: 3
- 8/7/2003 7:50:48 PM   
Sonny

Geez, I am going to go more blind than I already am. So far the game looks good - what I can see of it. The eye strain is gonna do me more harm than enemy units - or are those ants on the screen?

I finished all the tutorials but I am having a real hard time finding stuff on the map. And on the OOB screen trying to see which Russian units have been eliminated...:(

Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "

(in reply to FTW7)
Post #: 4
- 8/8/2003 9:03:01 AM   
Capitaine

I have to agree I found myself looking for a "zoom" key to display the map/units at different levels of zoom. Funny that's missing... :confused:

(in reply to FTW7)
Post #: 5
- 8/8/2003 9:15:20 PM   
AstroCat

I agree, a zoom feature would be really helpful!

Jordan "AstroCat"

(in reply to FTW7)
Post #: 6
- 8/8/2003 9:37:04 PM   
Capitaine

The resolution really is fine, IMO. If you have a really big monitor you could go to a higher resolution, but I'd guess most of us have around a 17" one and KP at any resolution higher than that would really be straining the eyes; anything less and you might lose interface functionality.

Truly, a zoom feature for the map/units (less of the map shows, but when you want to focus on a particular area, you can see details of terrain and the units better) with a true sliding zoom (IOW, no set descrete zoom levels) would be perfect! :)

Dunno if the code can permit this, but it would be awesome baby!!! :cool:

(in reply to FTW7)
Post #: 7
To small - 8/9/2003 12:53:12 AM   
Severe

I gotta agree , this game does ware on the eyes and looks like it was made for people that have 2020 vision. I was hoping it would be the size of the toaw counters. Ahh Maybe a magnifying glass would help. I think that the game is great when you can make it out Severe

(in reply to FTW7)
Post #: 8
- 8/9/2003 11:30:07 AM   
johnasl

I'm finding it hard to see the roads. They seem to blend in with the background. I end up doing a lot of right-mouse clicking to see where the roads are going. Still, it's a great game.

(in reply to FTW7)
Post #: 9
- 8/10/2003 4:38:03 PM   
Warrior Poet

I have to agree with Capitaine, I feel the resolution is fine. Though I will say up front I am lucky enough to have a 19in monitor.

If things like bridges are little hard to find at times, the right click funtion solves this easily. And I like having funtions like motor pool, and replacements out in the open instead of buried in a sub-menu. Even if they do limit the amout of screen available for the map and unit.

(in reply to FTW7)
Post #: 10
what about a different monitor - 8/11/2003 2:12:35 AM   
Severe

I am using a 3 yr old 17 Adi non-trinitron type monitor which can do 1280, but wondering what kind of difference a 19" descent quality crt will make with this game. ???? Severe

(in reply to FTW7)
Post #: 11
- 8/11/2003 4:07:49 AM   
Warrior Poet

After getting my Sony 19", I would NEVER go back to 17".
It may not seem like much, since it's only 2". But because of the way monitor size is measured diagonally. It's a noticable difference

But it's not only the size of the monitor, it's the quality also. This can vary dramatically between manufacturers. Just go to a good computer store and take a look at their monitor display to see what I mean. If they have the same image on all the monitors you will notice at once that some look much better than others.

Sony monitors are very good IMO, they design them for the graphic design market so the colors are very sharp and crisp. But they are not cheap. But the quality seems pretty good, mine is 8 years old and on it's 4th CPU.
I have also heard good things about NEC monitors.

One last thing about display settings, the Gamma setting for most video cards defaults to 1.00, this is actually too low for most games. Go in to your Display Settings/Advanced and bump the Gamma from 1.00 to about 1.40. This lightens the screen dramatically. You might thinks it's too bright but give it a try, I think you'll find you like it.

(in reply to FTW7)
Post #: 12
- 8/11/2003 4:34:37 AM   
Marc von Martial

[QUOTE]Sony monitors are very good IMO, they design them for the graphic design market so the colors are very sharp and crisp. But they are not cheap. But the quality seems pretty good, mine is 8 years old and on it's 4th CPU.[/QUOTE]

If you want Sony Trinition tubes for a price that does not include the "sony" brand name, then shoot for an CTX PR960f. An excellent monitor in the mid price range.

Several other CTX monitors that are using the Trinition standard are using original Sony tubes too.

Another alternative is to look for good Diamondtron tubes (basically the same as Triniton), IIRC NEC is using these.

(in reply to FTW7)
Post #: 13
- 8/11/2003 6:01:40 AM   
Warrior Poet

Thanks Marc,
I didn't know any of that. That's something to keep in mind when I go monitor shopping again.

(in reply to FTW7)
Post #: 14
- 8/11/2003 7:08:27 AM   
Marc von Martial

Btw, CTX is also offering all the "fancy" addons that only the higher priced monitors offer for most of the part.

The PR960f for example has 4 USB 2.0 ports. Two at the rear, two on the sides. Pretty usefull stuff for quickly hooking up the Digi cam for example, or the mouse if you have an USB one ( I wouldn´t recommend that you hook up a non active USB harddrive though ;) ). I´m not really sure but I think there´s a firewire variant too.

And what´s even most important, they have an ICC profile for the monitor and drivers. Something that´s not really common in that price range.

(in reply to FTW7)
Post #: 15
- 8/11/2003 7:09:43 AM   
Nickel

I agree that a zoom function might help. Minor roads in any heavy woods or even darker forest hexes are next to impossible to see. Don't get me wrong, I think that the work done on the graphics of terrain is outstanding and much of the detail is 3D on my setup. I have been playing TAO3 quite a bit since I got KP and this is a real issue. I have a View Sonic VX900 19" LED and I am driving it w/ Geforce 4 Ti 4800, plenty of hp. Maybe the minor road color could be changed to something with higher contrast if a zoom function is not possible.

never in driblets, but in mass

(in reply to FTW7)
Post #: 16
- 8/11/2003 7:34:53 PM   
Marc von Martial

I strongly recommend that you all make sure to calibrate your monitors properly.

I know I´m runnning a well calibrated one (part of the job ;) ) and I don´t have any issues with visibility or such.

For most of the part visibility problems occur with wrong gamma settings (contrast) and too much backlight or reflecting stuff on the desk, in the room. Even a white T-Shirt can "kill" you ;)

Check it out, a properly calibrated monitor is really something everybody should look for. It´s THE interface between you and your PC ;)

(in reply to FTW7)
Post #: 17
- 8/11/2003 7:51:11 PM   
elmo3

Can you offer any recommendations or is it wholly dependant on the room environment? Thanks.

(in reply to FTW7)
Post #: 18
- 8/11/2003 9:24:51 PM   
Sonny

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Marc Schwanebeck
[B]I strongly recommend that you all make sure to calibrate your monitors properly.

I know I´m runnning a well calibrated one (part of the job ;) ) and I don´t have any issues with visibility or such.

For most of the part visibility problems occur with wrong gamma settings (contrast) and too much backlight or reflecting stuff on the desk, in the room. Even a white T-Shirt can "kill" you ;)

Check it out, a properly calibrated monitor is really something everybody should look for. It´s THE interface between you and your PC ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

Strange that my other games don't have this un-calibrated monitor problem.:rolleyes:

Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "

(in reply to FTW7)
Post #: 19
- 8/11/2003 9:41:54 PM   
Marc von Martial

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sonny
[B]Strange that my other games don't have this un-calibrated monitor problem.:rolleyes: [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, is depends on the level of detail envolved. The more detail,and the broader the actuall palette that is used the more need for a "proper" monitor setup.

KP map = much detail = more need for a proper setup (at least the Gamma, nobody is expecting that you have ICC proofed colors displayed)

What kind of monitor are you running on what resolution and color range? Manufacturer and model please, thanks.

(in reply to FTW7)
Post #: 20
- 8/11/2003 9:43:30 PM   
Marc von Martial

[QUOTE]Originally posted by elmo3
[B]Can you offer any recommendations or is it wholly dependant on the room environment? Thanks. [/B][/QUOTE]

It is dependent on gazillions of variables. Monitor type, tube type, room enviroment and age of the tube are the most important.

I´m currently on the run, but I´ll put up some links later this day.

(in reply to FTW7)
Post #: 21
- 8/12/2003 8:22:42 AM   
Nickel

Thanks Marc, I did some tuning on the contrast/ brightness and have much improvement. Still a little tough when there is a unit in hex, but you can always right click any hex.

never in driblets, but in mass

(in reply to FTW7)
Post #: 22
- 8/12/2003 2:34:31 PM   
Belisarius

Funny to see that my 8 year old 17" is still hanging in there. Ofcourse, considering what it cost back then, it wasn't made of the cheapest parts around....always an advantage with going for premium. :p I might have to replace it soon, though.

Still waiting for my copy, but I'm really happy that it's a high resolution. TAO2 is almost unplayable due to the ENORMOUS graphics. Don't know about you guys, but I don't fancy being able to count the individual pixels in characters. Looks like a 640x480 screen. *brrrr* :D

Got StuG?

(in reply to FTW7)
Post #: 23
- 8/12/2003 6:13:54 PM   
Marc von Martial

[QUOTE]Funny to see that my 8 year old 17" is still hanging in there. [/QUOTE]

:eek: Manufacturer and model please?

(in reply to FTW7)
Post #: 24
- 8/12/2003 6:25:44 PM   
Marc von Martial

Here´s some online and software calibration links:

EasyRGB:
http://www.easyrgb.com/calibrate.php

Monitor Calibration wizard (an "okay" tool)
http://www.hex2bit.com/products/product_mcw.asp

Some basic introduction at about.com:
http://desktoppub.about.com/library/weekly/aa070102a.htm

This is only a few out of a lot of good tool and websites

Using the "sRGB Color Space Profile.icm" color profile as a starting point for your monitor calibration is a "global" solution, but you might want to check your monitors manufacturer for a suited ICM profile (sometimes they label them "drivers") for your monitor.

(in reply to FTW7)
Post #: 25
- 8/12/2003 6:53:24 PM   
elmo3

Thanks Marc.

(in reply to FTW7)
Post #: 26
No real answer to issue yet... - 8/12/2003 9:17:00 PM   
Capitaine

I'm not having problems with brightness, contrast or any of this "calibration" stuff. I run an NEC MultiSync FE700, and it's one of the best monitors I've seen. Better than a comparable Sony, IMO.

Anyway, I have yet to hear any reply to the ability to add a map zoom feature to the game. IMO, the units are too small at times (when I'd just like them and the hex area to be bigger), and no amount of "fine tuning" will increase the size.

This could be a major problem with my enjoyment of the game. I'd like to be able, at least, to zoom the map/counters to where at 1024x768, the counters would be about 1/2" (RL wargame counter size).

Any design personnel able to answer this? (And noting that some kind of zoom feature existed at one time in an earlier build.) :confused:

(in reply to FTW7)
Post #: 27
- 8/12/2003 10:31:13 PM   
Belisarius

[B]:eek: Manufacturer and model please? [/B][/QUOTE]

ViewSonic 17EA. :)

Got StuG?

(in reply to FTW7)
Post #: 28
- 8/12/2003 11:13:38 PM   
Marc von Martial

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Belisarius
[B]ViewSonic 17EA. :) [/B][/QUOTE]

I just hope for your eyes, you don´t run it higher then 1024x768 ;)

(in reply to FTW7)
Post #: 29
- 8/12/2003 11:41:33 PM   
Belisarius

[B]I just hope for your eyes, you don´t run it higher then 1024x768 ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

Haha, actually I run at 1152x864....it's about as high as it goes, beyond that and the tube doesn't have juice enough to 'stretch' the image over the whole screen. ;)

Got StuG?

(in reply to FTW7)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> Korsun Pocket Support >> Can the game run in different resolutions? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI