Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Shadow Empire’s Future

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Shadow Empire’s Future Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Shadow Empire’s Future - 10/11/2020 10:03:38 PM   
FAA

Any news regarding addition of air forces/navies? The game is amazing but feels quite shallow and a bit artificial without them.
Post #: 1
RE: Shadow Empire’s Future - 10/11/2020 10:06:43 PM   
beldurax

I wholeheartedly agree

(in reply to FAA)
Post #: 2
RE: Shadow Empire’s Future - 10/11/2020 11:44:48 PM   
mroyer

"shallow" and "artificial" aren't the words I'd use but I get where you're coming from. I'm involved in a campaign right now with three other players. The world has long, thin, north-south running oceans. Between that and long mountain chains on the planet, the global strategies become very limited and channeled along predictable axes.

More than once I wished I could have launched an amphibious assault across the narrow sea, or a bombing run over the hump.

I'm sure those features will come. For now, there's more than I can handle just figuring out how to feed the army, let alone how to supply marine commandos on a remote beachhead or drop troops behind enemy lines.... for now...

-Mark R.

< Message edited by mroyer -- 10/11/2020 11:46:10 PM >

(in reply to beldurax)
Post #: 3
RE: Shadow Empire’s Future - 10/12/2020 9:20:20 AM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: mroyer

"shallow" and "artificial" aren't the words I'd use but I get where you're coming from. I'm involved in a campaign right now with three other players. The world has long, thin, north-south running oceans. Between that and long mountain chains on the planet, the global strategies become very limited and channeled along predictable axes.

More than once I wished I could have launched an amphibious assault across the narrow sea, or a bombing run over the hump.

I'm sure those features will come. For now, there's more than I can handle just figuring out how to feed the army, let alone how to supply marine commandos on a remote beachhead or drop troops behind enemy lines.... for now...

-Mark R.

I really don't get "Shallow" at all. One of the deepest games I've played in a very very long time.

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 4
RE: Shadow Empire’s Future - 10/12/2020 10:39:55 AM   
Ekaton

I understand where that sentiment comes from - this game is a great simulation of a post-apocalyptic state, with so many elements being portrayed so deeply and plausibly. To have a world where the economy is simulated with hundreds of buildings, civilian economy, resources, trade, budgets and more, but completely lack basics like planes and ships, seems very odd.

I'm buying the world of SE. It feels so real, nuanced and plausible that I would find it going back to Civilization series. I would be somewhat fine with it if there was some sort of a lore-based explanation for that - all of these planets can't support planes, or water is too unpredictable for ships. These don't seem as realistic or plausible as the rest of the game, but more so than simply not having them or addressing them in the game.

I would even be fine with a tech and a modifier as a temporary solution, or a card you can play on an enemy unit of choice to weaken it, with the number of cards depending on your industry.

At present, this is the main thing preventing me from getting back to the game. I'd rather wait for the DLC, although I won't buy it if it's just ships or just planes.

< Message edited by Ekaton -- 10/12/2020 10:40:23 AM >

I need ten females for each male...

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 5
RE: Shadow Empire’s Future - 10/12/2020 11:12:00 AM   
eddieballgame

Personally, I like that it is all about the ground troops, tanks, & such.
It is all about the terrain, though I would be ok with some mobility on the waters.
I suspect most folks are playing this solo (though missing out on a fantastic experience per 'mp') & unless the AI will be able to handle air assaults...it could ruin the experience.
Thus an option to turn that off would be welcome, if & when it does get implemented.

(in reply to Ekaton)
Post #: 6
RE: Shadow Empire’s Future - 10/12/2020 4:32:51 PM   
ASHBERY76

I worry about adding more stuff like this will just make the A.I even weaker.I am fine with land only.

(in reply to eddieballgame)
Post #: 7
RE: Shadow Empire’s Future - 10/12/2020 6:32:35 PM   
eheiser

I think it sea units would be a great handicap for the AI (judging by Advanced Tactics Gold), but fantastic in multiplayer. Perhaps it should be an option to turn on or off if/when implemented.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 8
RE: Shadow Empire’s Future - 10/12/2020 7:20:14 PM   
ASHBERY76

Well it's not that simple.With a good naval design integrated inot the game with Trade lanes,ect.

(in reply to eheiser)
Post #: 9
RE: Shadow Empire’s Future - 10/12/2020 8:31:03 PM   
solops

I like the game as is. Lack of naval and air as discrete elements does not particularly bother me. That said, their inclusion could be in many forms. Also, the variation in atmospheric composition and density would have a profound effect on the type and usefulness of air support and the techs required to have air forces. Wide gravity variations further complicate the tech that effective air force's would require. The same issues apply to a lesser extent to naval equipment and operations.

< Message edited by solops -- 10/12/2020 11:44:34 PM >

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 10
RE: Shadow Empire’s Future - 10/14/2020 9:55:19 AM   
GazBot

Id love to see air and sea forces as well.

My one concern is given the depth of the game as it is - this would be a massive under taking in order not to break the existing game balance....which Im by no means qualified to comment on with my relatively low hours on the game....

I mean do to this justice I'm guessing you'd have to implement aerial and sea logistics and supply systems / networks, new supporting infrastructure etc...AA defenses, shore to Sea weapon systems, naval bombardment I mean the list goes on....

Doing this and keeping the game balanced I m guessing would be a massive task - I suspect it would involve creating and integrating in whole new sub systems to the game....

Id say polishing the existing mechanics and systems currently seen would be a good start - ie Im not sure their is any ballistic missile defense to counter the ICBMs and rockets currently in game??? or is this what shields are for???

(in reply to solops)
Post #: 11
RE: Shadow Empire’s Future - 10/20/2020 4:54:20 AM   
KingHalford

I'm still trying to get my head round why navies would even be a thing in the future? Or how airforces work with varying atmospheres... I think they'd be fun additions but, particularly with navies, how would that be justified, lore wise? They're a thing on earth because we've not developed air/space tech enough that it's outdated, but I don't really see why Shadow Empire would really bother with boats at all... I guess if the argument is that each planet is rediscovering technologies, there'll be a brief, earth-like period where air power isn't quite good enough to project itself across the planet, and maybe carriers might be necessary there for a short while, but after that?

Ben "BATTLEMODE"
www.eXplorminate.co

(in reply to GazBot)
Post #: 12
RE: Shadow Empire’s Future - 10/20/2020 11:19:01 AM   
mroyer

quote:

ORIGINAL: KingHalford

I'm still trying to get my head round why navies would even be a thing in the future? Or how airforces work with varying atmospheres... I think they'd be fun additions but, particularly with navies, how would that be justified, lore wise? They're a thing on earth because we've not developed air/space tech enough that it's outdated, but I don't really see why Shadow Empire would really bother with boats at all... I guess if the argument is that each planet is rediscovering technologies, there'll be a brief, earth-like period where air power isn't quite good enough to project itself across the planet, and maybe carriers might be necessary there for a short while, but after that?

There's a lot of latitude for story-development on that; "a short while" could be 500 years, for example, if the author puzzles it in that way. Air forces, and other analogs that remain aloft without atmosphere, might exist but not be capable (for centuries) to mount or supply a D-Day sized invasion, for example.

Or, the relative relevance of navies vs air forces vs ground forces might vary widely depending on planetary conditions and the happenstance of discovery in a particular game. This is the way I hope it ends up - one game, navies might be critical, and the next anti-grav barges are discovered early and ocean-going ships are never built. That could make for some great variability in play.

-Mark R.

-Mark R.

(in reply to KingHalford)
Post #: 13
RE: Shadow Empire’s Future - 10/20/2020 3:32:25 PM   
Vic

I think we'll make an announcement within 2 weeks approx about what the big extra feature will be.

Seen that the Steam release date is set on december 3. :)

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 14
RE: Shadow Empire’s Future - 10/27/2020 11:25:45 AM   
KingHalford

quote:

ORIGINAL: mroyer

quote:

ORIGINAL: KingHalford

There's a lot of latitude for story-development on that; "a short while" could be 500 years, for example, if the author puzzles it in that way. Air forces, and other analogs that remain aloft without atmosphere, might exist but not be capable (for centuries) to mount or supply a D-Day sized invasion, for example.

Or, the relative relevance of navies vs air forces vs ground forces might vary widely depending on planetary conditions and the happenstance of discovery in a particular game. This is the way I hope it ends up - one game, navies might be critical, and the next anti-grav barges are discovered early and ocean-going ships are never built. That could make for some great variability in play.

-Mark R.

-Mark R.

That's a good point. I think the setting justifies all sorts of "unusual" situations :)

Ben "BATTLEMODE"
www.eXplorminate.co

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 15
RE: Shadow Empire’s Future - 10/28/2020 10:46:11 PM   
Dampfnudel

I do not need air and naval units.

I want in that order:

1. Modding support.
2. Balance Patches
3. Deeper Economy
4. Deeper Internal Politics
5. Deeper Diplomacy

(in reply to KingHalford)
Post #: 16
RE: Shadow Empire’s Future - 10/29/2020 6:07:38 AM   
Daza99

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vic

I think we'll make an announcement within 2 weeks approx about what the big extra feature will be.

Is it suppose to say this on the Steam page? because it still has Planned Release Date: Later this (Earth-like) year.

And is the announcement you mention going to appear soon?

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 17
RE: Shadow Empire’s Future - 10/30/2020 9:41:48 AM   
Quilargo

i am waiting for planes and ships,cant play a strategic game without all three branches- in this current status of the game i am just watching a few lets plays.

But great work from the developer, hope you get support for implementing ships/planes

< Message edited by Quilargo -- 10/30/2020 9:43:05 AM >

(in reply to FAA)
Post #: 18
RE: Shadow Empire’s Future - 10/30/2020 3:44:11 PM   
jpwrunyan

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

I worry about adding more stuff like this will just make the A.I even weaker.I am fine with land only.

Exactly. Let's make the game good at what it already has instead of adding more crap to junk up the works.

I'm still miffed about all the crap that got added to Distant Worlds when what it really needed was some serious QoL improvements (that game was a hot mess that just conflagrated more with each new content addition). Alas, QoL doesn't make for profitable DLC/expansions... and the prevailing attitude of consumers like the OP contribute to this problem.

No offense, OP, but your desire for something better I firmly believe would result in something worse.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 19
RE: Shadow Empire’s Future - 10/30/2020 4:01:45 PM   
nukkxx5058

My wishes so far:
- Naval and air units are a must.
- More political
- More dipomatic options
- More economics
- Terraforming / land development
- Open to mods

< Message edited by nukkxx5058 -- 10/30/2020 4:02:37 PM >

(in reply to jpwrunyan)
Post #: 20
RE: Shadow Empire’s Future - 11/4/2020 5:40:45 PM   
zuekamo

quote:

Hey!we are ate 2 weeks + 1 day

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 21
RE: Shadow Empire’s Future - 11/5/2020 5:20:37 PM   
Emx77

Two weeks, two days and still counting. :-)

(in reply to zuekamo)
Post #: 22
RE: Shadow Empire’s Future - 11/6/2020 7:25:46 PM   
Malevolence

Let it be done, when it is done. Zero pressure.

Nicht kleckern, sondern klotzen!

*Please remember all posts are made by a malevolent, autocratic despot whose rule is marked by unjust severity and arbitrary behavior. Your experiences may vary.

(in reply to Emx77)
Post #: 23
RE: Shadow Empire’s Future - 11/7/2020 2:47:22 PM   
Ekaton

quote:

Any news on the announcement?

I need ten females for each male...

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Shadow Empire’s Future Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI