Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Angry Bear

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Angry Bear Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Angry Bear - 10/31/2020 1:33:30 PM   
Mike McCreery

Most of us know one of the basic Japanese tactics is to collapse China in 1942/1943 to get major victory points and eliminate that front from the game, at least temporarily.

I am really interested in the contest between NJP and Lowpe because they are top notch players and illustrate the technical weaknesses of China. It has been stated that there is no sure defense against a determined Japanese attack early in the game.

So, my question is not about can you do it or should you do it, it is more political and related to game mechanics.

Do the historians and philosophers on this forum believe that Russia would have allowed China to completely collapse and wait passively by while Japan rested and re-formed it's troops along their border?

My contention is that at some point, regardless of the AV strength held in reserve that the Russians would have attacked Japan prior to August 1945 if they had gotten close to the complete conquest of China.

I would love to hear some educated opinions on this.

Post #: 1
RE: Angry Bear - 10/31/2020 1:55:41 PM   
GetAssista

Russia had its hands more than full on the German front to try open up the game in China. Japan had its hands more than full with the Allies. I see no space for them to try irritate one another in 42/43

(in reply to Mike McCreery)
Post #: 2
RE: Angry Bear - 10/31/2020 2:12:32 PM   
tolsdorff

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

Russia had its hands more than full on the German front to try open up the game in China. Japan had its hands more than full with the Allies. I see no space for them to try irritate one another in 42/43

Agreed. the Soviet Union survived 1942 by the skin of their teeth at staggering cost. If it would have had to divert assets to the far east in that period, it would have collapsed, there should be no doubt about that. 1944 and 1945 is a different story though.

Perhaps the western allies would have changed their Germany-First policy in the face of an imminent chinese collapse. They could have diverted production, units and resources against Japan instead of a buildup against Germany.

Who knows. I certainly don't. A lot of would be's and if's.

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 3
RE: Angry Bear - 10/31/2020 5:21:03 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: tolsdorff

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

Agreed. the Soviet Union survived 1942 by the skin of their teeth at staggering cost. If it would have had to divert assets to the far east in that period, it would have collapsed, there should be no doubt about that. 1944 and 1945 is a different story though.

Perhaps the western allies would have changed their Germany-First policy in the face of an imminent chinese collapse. They could have diverted production, units and resources against Japan instead of a buildup against Germany.

Who knows. I certainly don't. A lot of would be's and if's.

I think the US was firmly fixated on dealing with Japan directly, as soon as it could get a pathway to bombing and then invading Japan. They tried using the first B-29s from China and it just did not work - too far and to many losses, too hard to get supplies and parts, etc. When they were making good progress in the Central Pacific and SWPAC/Philippines, China became irrelevant to the plan to knock out Japan directly and thereby make the other Japanese conquests untenable.

The pre-war US economic involvement in China was fairly minimal, compared to the British for example, so I don't think anyone in the US had big notions of setting up a market economy and establishing major trade after the war - China had no money to spend on US goods anyway.

And while the US was opposed to Communism, no one really expected the Chinese Communists to take over the country as quickly as it did. In typical fashion, the US beat the enemy and withdrew, war weary after only 3 and half years. Occupying and developing Japan and West Germany were seen as necessary to prevent the Soviet Union from moving in, but I don't think China was large in anyone's thoughts.

The British meanwhile had their hands full trying to keep India, Malaya and Burma from leaving the empire they still thought existed. They pretty much knew they could not also fight Chinese Nationalism.

So China was just too big a problem for anyone to solve during the mid war period and by late 1944/45, all the players were short on manpower and money to finish the fights they were pursuing. China was pretty much on her own and no one would have had much anguish if Japan totally conquered it because Japan itself was soon going to be knocked out.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to tolsdorff)
Post #: 4
RE: Angry Bear - 10/31/2020 9:19:01 PM   
jdsrae

quote:

ORIGINAL: tolsdorff

This is an interesting “what if” as it relates to allied strategy on a global scale.
The allies could only have one priority #1, so I think that Germany would have stayed top of the list.
I also think the Soviets would have stayed focussed on Germany and left supporting China to the US.

The US invested a huge amount into the Hump airlift and the Stilwell road. Lots of aircraft, base forces and engineers. Just relatively few combat units.
A diversion of a bit more of everything to support those efforts in NE India seems plausible to me.
The CBI theatre could have been bumped up the global priority list a place or two.

Forces could have been diverted away from the Europe build up or from SWPAC once Australia was secure.
This describes the situation in my pbem right now with Aus I Corps and lots of US Army units diverted to NE India.

Currently playing my first PBEM, no house rules Scenario 1 as IJ.
AAR link (no SolInvictus): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655

(in reply to tolsdorff)
Post #: 5
RE: Angry Bear - 10/31/2020 9:29:52 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike McCreery

Most of us know one of the basic Japanese tactics is to collapse China in 1942/1943 to get major victory points and eliminate that front from the game, at least temporarily.

I am really interested in the contest between NJP and Lowpe because they are top notch players and illustrate the technical weaknesses of China. It has been stated that there is no sure defense against a determined Japanese attack early in the game.

So, my question is not about can you do it or should you do it, it is more political and related to game mechanics.

Do the historians and philosophers on this forum believe that Russia would have allowed China to completely collapse and wait passively by while Japan rested and re-formed it's troops along their border?

My contention is that at some point, regardless of the AV strength held in reserve that the Russians would have attacked Japan prior to August 1945 if they had gotten close to the complete conquest of China.

I would love to hear some educated opinions on this.

No, for several reasons:

- Japanese involvement in a war with the Western Allies (particularly the US) puts the Japanese position in Asia on a timer anyways.

- On a related point, with the Allies involved, China in effect becomes their problem. The advantage of keeping China in the war is to enable the Western Allies to use the combination of Chinese manpower and British/American equipment to win the war. As a result of this, the Western Allies will keep China in the game, not the Soviets

- Soviet entry against Japan puts lend-lease via Vladivostok in peril. The Pacific Route is worth far more to wider Soviet interests than keeping China as a drain on resources.

(in reply to Mike McCreery)
Post #: 6
RE: Angry Bear - 11/1/2020 3:09:48 AM   
PaxMondo

Yeah, I would tend to agree with the majority here. until '44, the SOV isn't in a position to do much. They "stole" a lot of their experienced units from the Far East trading them down as it were. React to an IJ offensive against the SOV Far east? Yes. But with respect to Chine, I cannot see much.

The real question is how much would the US/Brit allow and then what would they shift from Africa/Europe time tables? To me this is the aspect that would need a LOT of thought. And for the US/Brits, up until early '44 they didn't really have a lot to spare. The IJ offensive in CHI in '42 would have been difficult for them to react to with much more than they historically did. Allied players tend to ship a lot of US forces to India/OZ, but politically (and with the lack of historical hindsight) could the real life leaders have done so without massive unrest? 1942 was just a succession of imagined IJ invasions of the West Coast, but very real to the population of the time.

Pax

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 7
RE: Angry Bear - 11/1/2020 1:06:11 PM   
fcooke

And the Brits were running on fumes by late 44. The manpower shortage was getting acute. IIRC they were consolidating units to make up for combat losses - no young men left to throw into the fray.

In the game Japan can take out China, in real life I don't think it would be possible.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 8
RE: Angry Bear - 11/1/2020 5:04:41 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: fcooke

In the game Japan can take out China, in real life I don't think it would be possible.

+1.

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 9
RE: Angry Bear - 11/2/2020 8:17:24 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

quote:

+1.

In the interests of a debate, I'll challenge that - I think it would be possible to "take out" China from the war. However, it would likely have involved a Japanese withdrawal from mainland China, in order to provoke the resumption of the civil war that had been bubbling over for decades.

I'll preface all of this with the comment that the mindset of the Japanese leadership in 1941 would likely make this course of action be viewed as outrageously radical.

In 1941, "China" is not a single entity, nor is it really "in" the war. I consider it more of an interlude of the Chinese Civil War.

Chaing and the KMT on one side, Mao and the Communists in Yan'an, the Japanese puppet RGC. Interspaced is a handful of warlords that will align to whichever way the wind blows.

Japan "wins" by forcing the KMT, RGC and Communists to fight for control of China in a manner that all external considerations are secondary. It can do this by:

- conventional military operations to put the RGC Government in control of additional population and military centres and provide additional challenge to Chaing's role as the legitimate leader of China.

- let the Communists control the countryside to enable the CCP to build a rival powerbase to the KMT/RGC factions

- negotiate favourable industry and resource interests from the RGC in exchange for large scale provision of surplus arms and equipment to RGC troops, with Japanese detachments serving in an advisory/voluntary capacity and Japanese garrisons in the major coastal cities.

- pragmatic provision to financial and military aid to ambitious Chinese warlords to fragment central KMT authority.

- time-limited intervention by IJA forces if one faction appears to be in the position to deliver a decisive blow.

This would represent a "win" for Japan in my eyes as it gives them the major benefit of an occupied China (the industrial and commercial interests) without the downside of requiring a large occupational force. However, it would be costly (but less so that the historical commitment of troops).

In the absence of the common enemy Japan, it becomes a Chinese conflict with Japan able to hold the balance of power. Any Allied aid to Chaing will be immediately turned against the Communists or RGC forces (never mind Japan) while the RGC would be in a dependant relationship with Japan. The Communists would likely prosper the most given the popularity of their land policies, but in the absence of a secure industrial base or the provisions of weapons en-masse they would find it challenging to engage in the conventional operations needed to bring victory.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 10
RE: Angry Bear - 11/2/2020 9:05:05 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

quote:

quote:

+1.

In the interests of a debate, I'll challenge that - I think it would be possible to "take out" China from the war. However, it would likely have involved a Japanese withdrawal from mainland China, in order to provoke the resumption of the civil war that had been bubbling over for decades.

I'll preface all of this with the comment that the mindset of the Japanese leadership in 1941 would likely make this course of action be viewed as outrageously radical.

In 1941, "China" is not a single entity, nor is it really "in" the war. I consider it more of an interlude of the Chinese Civil War.

Chaing and the KMT on one side, Mao and the Communists in Yan'an, the Japanese puppet RGC. Interspaced is a handful of warlords that will align to whichever way the wind blows.

Japan "wins" by forcing the KMT, RGC and Communists to fight for control of China in a manner that all external considerations are secondary. It can do this by:

- conventional military operations to put the RGC Government in control of additional population and military centres and provide additional challenge to Chaing's role as the legitimate leader of China.

- let the Communists control the countryside to enable the CCP to build a rival powerbase to the KMT/RGC factions

- negotiate favourable industry and resource interests from the RGC in exchange for large scale provision of surplus arms and equipment to RGC troops, with Japanese detachments serving in an advisory/voluntary capacity and Japanese garrisons in the major coastal cities.

- pragmatic provision to financial and military aid to ambitious Chinese warlords to fragment central KMT authority.

- time-limited intervention by IJA forces if one faction appears to be in the position to deliver a decisive blow.

This would represent a "win" for Japan in my eyes as it gives them the major benefit of an occupied China (the industrial and commercial interests) without the downside of requiring a large occupational force. However, it would be costly (but less so that the historical commitment of troops).

In the absence of the common enemy Japan, it becomes a Chinese conflict with Japan able to hold the balance of power. Any Allied aid to Chaing will be immediately turned against the Communists or RGC forces (never mind Japan) while the RGC would be in a dependant relationship with Japan. The Communists would likely prosper the most given the popularity of their land policies, but in the absence of a secure industrial base or the provisions of weapons en-masse they would find it challenging to engage in the conventional operations needed to bring victory.

So this will be your strategy for extracting Scotland from the stick England/Wales/Ireland situation? And you negotiate with them to get all their sheep?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 11
RE: Angry Bear - 11/2/2020 10:09:02 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

quote:

quote:

+1.

So this will be your strategy for extracting Scotland from the stick England/Wales/Ireland situation? And you negotiate with them to get all their sheep?

Not quite sure how that's relevant, but water is the resource you want in the UK - don't want any of that liquefied rock they call water in the south-east!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 12
RE: Angry Bear - 11/3/2020 12:47:07 AM   
spence

quote:

While I agree with your premise that the Japanese leadership in 1941 might view with disfavor withdrawing from mainland China I find it unreasonable that getting involved in the Chinese Civil War would be the Japanese road to victory. The US got involved in a civil war in Vietnam. It is a slippery slope and the ending is the ending for Japan would very likely be the same as for the US 30 yrs later.

Post #: 13
RE: Angry Bear - 11/3/2020 1:27:00 AM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: spence

quote:

While I agree with your premise that the Japanese leadership in 1941 might view with disfavor withdrawing from mainland China I find it unreasonable that getting involved in the Chinese Civil War would be the Japanese road to victory. The US got involved in a civil war in Vietnam. It is a slippery slope and the ending is the ending for Japan would very likely be the same as for the US 30 yrs later.

The only way Japan "wins" in China is if it gets a negotiated settlement with the Chinese faction that:
1: owns sufficient territory to give Japan what it wants
2: doesn't become strong enough that it can renege on the agreement and turf Japan out.

Vietnam is probably not the most suitable comparison, given that:
- public opinion is not a factor for the Japanese leadership
- Japan is not likely to be iffy around bombing
- the framing of the Chinese Civil War is more nuanced than a simple ideological struggle, thanks to the numerous warlords with a sense of realpolitik.

To my mind, it's more along the lines of a firmer intervention than the Japanese moves in Siberia during the Russian Civil War.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 14
RE: Angry Bear - 11/3/2020 1:58:50 AM   
RangerJoe

If the Japanese withdrew from China, the embargoes from the US and other nations would have ended. Hence no Pearl Harbor attack. Japan would have been free to attack a weakened USSR in the Far East.

One thing that I have noticed, however, in the USSR infantry divisions is that the manpower seems to be the same as other countries divisions yet they were smaller. Think if that was modeled in the game, as well as newer divisions being under strength and forming up. That would make the USSR more vulnerable if that was modeled.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Angry Bear Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI