Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Game Runs Loudly

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Game Runs Loudly Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Game Runs Loudly - 11/4/2020 10:59:40 PM   
rmwood6426

Seems my PC's fan starts running very loudly after playing a game for a period of time. Has anyone else experienced this as well; and if so is there a quick fix? I'm concerned how the program is impacting my PC. Any feedback would be great.
Post #: 1
RE: Game Runs Loudly - 11/4/2020 11:18:30 PM   
pbrowne

Could be many things. What are you computer specs? Does it happen with any other programs? Try changing your advanced power and cooling settings.

Windows 10: In Control Panel under 'Power Options' choose 'Change Plan Settings' then choose 'Change Advanced Power Settings'. Under 'Processor Power Management' change 'Maximum Processor State' from 100% to 90%. Also set 'System Cooling Policy' to 'Passive'.

Try that and see how it goes.

You could also install the Open Hardware Monitor to check your systems temp etc.

https://openhardwaremonitor.org/

< Message edited by pbrowne -- 11/4/2020 11:19:31 PM >

(in reply to rmwood6426)
Post #: 2
RE: Game Runs Loudly - 11/4/2020 11:25:49 PM   
thewood1

Common PC sense would say you are using enough of your CPU that its generating heat and the fans are kicking in. Some info, as stated above would be helpful:

PC, in order of importance: desktop or laptop, CPU, graphics processing unit (GPU like an nVidia, AMD, or Intel), RAM, type of HD, etc.

Software: Windows 7 or 10, other programs running, version of CMO, scenario, running TacView (3D window for CMO)

I would get those answers before installing anything. One way to get a lot of the hardware specs is run a windows app call dxdiag. If its windows 10, click on the start button on the lower left, type dxdiag, and hit enter. If it asks a question, say no. You can look at your hardware on the first screen and GPU on the second tab.

Large scenarios can take a lot of CPU cycles and that can cause heat and then fan speed up.

(in reply to pbrowne)
Post #: 3
RE: Game Runs Loudly - 11/5/2020 11:44:59 AM   
thewood1

btw, I run on a pretty beefy laptop with an i9-10 series CPU and when I run CMO at fastest acceleration on medium-sized scenarios (1000 units), the fan runs pretty fast. Just for reference.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 4
RE: Game Runs Loudly - 11/5/2020 11:34:05 PM   
pbrowne

I have a mid-size tower with an i7 with water cooling. Never hear the fan, even when running very CPU intensive applications such as 3D rendering.

Overheating is generally caused by the CPU not having adequate heat dissipation when running intensive processing. Having good air circulation can reduce the heating, as can having a good heat sink on the CPU and effective fans. A larger case and water cooling obviously helps as well. Sometimes the problem can be exacerbated by having a build-up of dust, e.g. on the motherboard and around the CPU heat sink which reduce airflow.

< Message edited by pbrowne -- 11/5/2020 11:38:15 PM >

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 5
RE: Game Runs Loudly - 11/5/2020 11:47:31 PM   
thewood1

Well, its all well and good to speculate, but lets start with his basics first before we head down the physics rabbit hole. If he has a laptop, fans are going to run with CMO at heavy load. Nothing you can do about it. If he has a stock Dell desktop, fans are going to potentially run. If he has a home-built desktop with a top-end custom cooling loop with an alloy distribution plate, then he might have an issue. He might also be overclocking a desktop. He might have old/bad thermal paste. Lets see what he has.

(in reply to pbrowne)
Post #: 6
RE: Game Runs Loudly - 11/6/2020 5:02:42 PM   
rmwood6426

Feedback much appreciated. As for hardware I have an HP All in One desktop with an i7 processor. No fan issues with any other application I've run. Fairly certain it's a CMO specific event. Mainly with medium or larger scenarios.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 7
RE: Game Runs Loudly - 11/6/2020 8:10:55 PM   
thewood1

Well, we have no idea what other programs you run. CMO can be demanding with large scenarios, but no more demanding than a top end flight sim. I doubt its a CMO problem beyond it takes more resources than other programs. Please post the specs. Your asking for help, but not giving much back.

btw, fans running are not a bad thing. If your computer is locking up and freezing, thats a bad thing. All-in-ones are not built for high end applications and are known for poor circulation leading to high fan speeds. In fact, older ones didn't have any liquid cooling and ran relatively high temps. With so little to go on, the only remedy is just deal with fan noise or play smaller scenarios. The fans are there to be used. If its crashing or freezing, you'll need to move on to more aggressive remedies.

(in reply to rmwood6426)
Post #: 8
RE: Game Runs Loudly - 11/7/2020 1:39:29 PM   
BDukes

quote:

ORIGINAL: rmwood6426

Seems my PC's fan starts running very loudly after playing a game for a period of time. Has anyone else experienced this as well; and if so is there a quick fix? I'm concerned how the program is impacting my PC. Any feedback would be great.

This happen to me one time right after starting game after recent steam update. Thought was strange but didn't think CMO. It has not reoccur. Will keep in eye on and report finding with files when happen.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 9
RE: Game Runs Loudly - 11/7/2020 6:30:54 PM   
AndrewJ

quote:

Seems my PC's fan starts running very loudly after playing a game for a period of time. Has anyone else experienced this as well..

Yes, for sure. Large CMO scenarios, run at high speed, cause my processor fan to go to highest speed. Not a lot to be done about it, unfortunately. Large processor demands mean lots of heat. CMO's certainly the most processor intensive of the programs I run. Typical Office applications etc. don't require anywhere near as much as CMO.

(in reply to rmwood6426)
Post #: 10
RE: Game Runs Loudly - 11/7/2020 8:27:01 PM   
BDukes

quote:

ORIGINAL: AndrewJ

quote:

Seems my PC's fan starts running very loudly after playing a game for a period of time. Has anyone else experienced this as well..

Yes, for sure. Large CMO scenarios, run at high speed, cause my processor fan to go to highest speed. Not a lot to be done about it, unfortunately. Large processor demands mean lots of heat. CMO's certainly the most processor intensive of the programs I run. Typical Office applications etc. don't require anywhere near as much as CMO.

If what RMWood is talking about is same things I see it was far above the normal CMO processing. It was really strange but no replication. So no alarm just yet, just keep eye on here.

(in reply to AndrewJ)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Game Runs Loudly Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI