Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: THE THREAD!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  314 315 [316] 317 318   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/8/2020 2:02:12 PM   
Orm

INP.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 9451
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/8/2020 2:19:39 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: btd64

Good morning everyone....GP

Even Barbarians who put their elbows on the table?

If you knew why people put their elbows on the table, you would realize that picture is incorrect.

I am NOT going to be the one to tell a Barbarian he's doing it wrong. I'll stand behind you when you tell him. 50 feet behind you.

Fine. Back Blast Area Clear!

They have a roast pig that is fine but it looks like those are potatoes with it. They did not know about potatoes at the time, the potato went from South America to Europe, then to North America, so the Vikings would not have known about it, not even in Vinland.

The legs that they are eating appear to be turkey legs. From the size of the bird on the table, that would also be a turkey since the chickens were pretty scrawny at the time. The turkey is from North America and was not known in Europe at the time.

They did not have maize in Europe at that time either and I doubt if it was in Vinland when the Vikings were there either, so they would not have eaten green maize so they would not have had their elbows on the table.

So I see you are in the "Historical" game playing group as opposed to those who want to play the game as an opportunity to do different things ...

I'll pass your critique along to Mr. Larsen so he can correct his cartoon in the next edition...but if Mr. Barbarian wants to put his elbows on the table when eating any kind of dead animal while consuming any flavor of carbohydrates, I'm not going to try and stop him.

At least try to be accurate. It is like seeing a wrist watch on a Roman soldier from two thousand years ago. Or the contrails of a jet in a movie that portrays something before man flew any aircraft.

It does not matter the flavor of the carbohydrates, it is how it normally is eaten. Green maize tends to have individuals put their elbows on the table when they eat the green maize. Green maize is/was processed differently than the various types of corn in Europe.

I think most would have criticized the lack of clothing, the fantasy helmets, and the weird weapons, when they objected to the historical accuracy. I like that you guys went with food instead.

However, maybe the artist think that the Vikings travelled to South America, as they might have done, and got their food from there. If you criticize the food that they are eating then proof is wanted that support your position.

The Vikings did not travel to western South America where they would have found the potato, they traveled to northeastern North America where there were no potatoes and probably no maize. They may have found turkeys when they went farther south or west during their wanderings but I don't know if any of those individuals made it back or just consorted with the natives, resulting in blonde haired, blue eyed natives along the Mississippi River who also had fair skin and sunburned easily. Of course, those traits could also have come from Celtic and Gaelic wanders as well.

Next thing you'll be telling me they didn't have chewing gum in Arthur's time.

The Mayans and Aztecs chewed chicle but Europeans chewed other things. The Greeks chewed Mastic gum which is a tree resin like chicle. In what is now Finland, if that is what you want to call it, birch bark tar with impressions of teeth have been found that is pretty old.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 9452
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/8/2020 2:24:56 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: fcooke

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

If you knew why people put their elbows on the table, you would realize that picture is incorrect.

I am NOT going to be the one to tell a Barbarian he's doing it wrong. I'll stand behind you when you tell him. 50 feet behind you.

They have a roast pig that is fine but it looks like those are potatoes with it. They did not know about potatoes at the time, the potato went from South America to Europe, then to North America, so the Vikings would not have known about it, not even in Vinland.

The legs that they are eating appear to be turkey legs. From the size of the bird on the table, that would also be a turkey since the chickens were pretty scrawny at the time. The turkey is from North America and was not known in Europe at the time.

They did not have maize in Europe at that time either and I doubt if it was in Vinland when the Vikings were there either, so they would not have eaten green maize so they would not have had their elbows on the table.

So I see you are in the "Historical" game playing group as opposed to those who want to play the game as an opportunity to do different things ...

I'll pass your critique along to Mr. Larsen so he can correct his cartoon in the next edition...but if Mr. Barbarian wants to put his elbows on the table when eating any kind of dead animal while consuming any flavor of carbohydrates, I'm not going to try and stop him.

At least try to be accurate. It is like seeing a wrist watch on a Roman soldier from two thousand years ago. Or the contrails of a jet in a movie that portrays something before man flew any aircraft.

It does not matter the flavor of the carbohydrates, it is how it normally is eaten. Green maize tends to have individuals put their elbows on the table when they eat the green maize. Green maize is/was processed differently than the various types of corn in Europe.

I think most would have criticized the lack of clothing, the fantasy helmets, and the weird weapons, when they objected to the historical accuracy. I like that you guys went with food instead.

However, maybe the artist think that the Vikings travelled to South America, as they might have done, and got their food from there. If you criticize the food that they are eating then proof is wanted that support your position.

The Vikings did not travel to western South America where they would have found the potato, they traveled to northeastern North America where there were no potatoes and probably no maize. They may have found turkeys when they went farther south or west during their wanderings but I don't know if any of those individuals made it back or just consorted with the natives, resulting in blonde haired, blue eyed natives along the Mississippi River who also had fair skin and sunburned easily. Of course, those traits could also have come from Celtic and Gaelic wanders as well.

I am blue eyed and dark haired (whats left of it) sunburn quite easily, once in March when I was a few years younger. And have an Irish passport - does that make me a Viking?

And for giggles my Mom hates when I tell her I am not having potatoes with my dinner. It is like a am a demon or something.

That is because the potato is a staple of the Irish diet. In one way, it is surprising that the Irish did not invent vodka but they probably prefer to eat them than drink them, although potato ale is also made. Then again, there is sugar cane beer but that is now usually distilled.

As far as being bald, when you go bald in front, you are a thinker.
When you go bald in back, you are a lover.
When you go bald in front and back, you think that you are a lover.
But since perception is reality, then that is true.

God made only so many perfect heads, the rest he put hair on.

― Julia Child

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 9453
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/8/2020 3:13:33 PM   
fcooke

my late uncle used to say something about busy streets don't have grass on them when describing his baldness. I still have more than he did - but miss him a lot.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 9454
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/8/2020 5:43:36 PM   
Orm

quote:

In one way, it is surprising that the Irish did not invent vodka but they probably prefer to eat them than drink them, although potato ale is also made.

The Irish probably saw no reason to begin with Vodka since they had already perfected how to make Whisky.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 9455
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/8/2020 5:52:33 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: fcooke

my late uncle used to say something about busy streets don't have grass on them when describing his baldness. I still have more than he did - but miss him a lot.

There was a bumper sticker, "Bald Men Have Better Things to do with their Hormones".

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 9456
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/8/2020 5:53:43 PM   
Zorch

quote:

INP.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 9457
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/8/2020 5:54:45 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Mayans and Aztecs chewed chicle but Europeans chewed other things. The Greeks chewed Mastic gum which is a tree resin like chicle. In what is now Finland, if that is what you want to call it, birch bark tar with impressions of teeth have been found that is pretty old.

Very interesting - but could they blow bubbles with it?

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 9458
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/8/2020 7:50:46 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Very interesting - but could they blow bubbles with it?

That is an interesting question but then you have to ask, would bubbles let them?

― Julia Child

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 9459
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/9/2020 1:03:56 AM   
rustysi

Hello all.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 9460
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/9/2020 6:51:21 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

Good morning!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 9461
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/9/2020 10:01:09 AM   
Zorch

Note to Chickenboy: Congratulations to your Cowboys in their pursuit of a high draft pick while pretending to be competitive.
Only in the NFC East can the Eagles increase their lead by not playing...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 9462
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/9/2020 12:46:01 PM   
btd64

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 9463
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/9/2020 2:09:18 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

Note to Chickenboy: Congratulations to your Cowboys in their pursuit of a high draft pick while pretending to be competitive.

I saw a dalmation chase a cat under a spruce tree with very low branches. The dumb dog stuck his nose under the tree, yelped, then ran away.

I also read where a cat played airborne ranger with a 75 pound German Shepard. The dog did not get to its target, a three year old girl. BTW, the cat wanted nothing to do with the girl but she was in the cat's back yard.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 9464
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/10/2020 1:06:06 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Who's pretending?

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 9465
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/10/2020 1:08:50 AM   
Zovs

Good evening...

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 9466
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/10/2020 1:09:21 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 9467
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/10/2020 1:16:53 AM   
rustysi

Hello all.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 9468
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/10/2020 2:38:34 AM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Who's pretending?

Be honest; Jerry wants to draft Trevor Laurence. He engineered all the Cowboy injuries with a Ouija board. If the Jets win then the Cowboys are only a game away from the worst record.
The Iggles seem to think winning the division at 6-9-1 means they are a good team.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 9469
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/10/2020 11:37:44 AM   
btd64

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 9470
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/10/2020 5:04:02 PM   
Orm

Hey,

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 9471
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/10/2020 5:52:47 PM   
Zorch

quote:

Hey,

Hey Joe? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3JsuWz4xWc

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 9472
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/11/2020 3:14:22 AM   
rustysi

Hello all.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 9473
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/11/2020 6:27:29 AM   
Orm

Good morning.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 9474
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/11/2020 8:03:10 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

Good morning!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 9475
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/11/2020 11:16:56 AM   
fcooke

quote:

quote:

I saw a dalmation chase a cat under a spruce tree with very low branches. The dumb dog stuck his nose under the tree, yelped, then ran away.

I also read where a cat played airborne ranger with a 75 pound German Shepard. The dog did not get to its target, a three year old girl. BTW, the cat wanted nothing to do with the girl but she was in the cat's back yard.
Every dog is different but Dalmations have a reputation for being not so bright.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 9476
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/11/2020 11:40:46 AM   
btd64

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 9477
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/11/2020 12:22:30 PM   
Zorch

quote:

Cavemen too.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 9478
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/11/2020 1:50:09 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

Cavemen too.

What is it with you and cavemen?

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 9479
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/11/2020 1:52:43 PM   
Orm

And are cavemen really a thing of our pre-history?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 9480
Page:   <<   < prev  314 315 [316] 317 318   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  314 315 [316] 317 318   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI