Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apbarog(A) vs OPilot(J)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apbarog(A) vs OPilot(J) Page: <<   < prev  67 68 [69] 70 71   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 11/11/2020 5:39:29 PM   
apbarog

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Are you confident that the enemy mines at Iki Shima and Tsushima have been cleared? The map doesn't show any but I don't recall a concerted effort to clear them. You will need at least one of those cleared to pass the TFs you will need for a landing on the North Coast of Japan. Also be aware that if you let the AI plot the TF paths going east and west through the Straits of Tsushima, it will normally use one hex row for east and another hex row for west. If you only have one of Iki Shima or Tsushima cleared, you have to use a waypoint at the cleared hex to ensure your TFs avoid the still-mined hex. When I first took Tsushima and tried to pass ships through, they would go eastbound through Tsushima, but westbound they routed themselves through Fusan, which had enemy mines and naval forts/CD units.

There are mines at Iki Shima. I placed them there during the initial landings. Tsushima had mines earlier in the war. A US sub hit one there. I assume there are more now. I hope to take Tsushima with more paras in the next couple of weeks. Otherwise, I'll carefully route shipping through Iki Shima, which I hope to clear sometime. If I do land further east, it won't be for awhile. At least several weeks. I want to clear Kyushu completely and build it up. A massive bombing campaign will follow. That may be enough to get a surrender.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2041
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 11/12/2020 2:42:35 AM   
apbarog

21 Apr 44

Allied battleships bombarded Kumamoto and Kagoshima. British destroyer Rocket hit a mine. It will survive. The ship, that is. Not the mine.

P-38s swept Truk and found the same Zero unit that has been there. 6 Zeros lost for the cost of 2 P-38s.

A huge carrier fighter sweep of 191 Hellcats swept Yokohama, finding 18 Rufes, 36 Zeros and 9 J1N1-S Irvings. There were many other fighters there, mostly Zeros, and they showed up in the replay but were not engaged. Could have been in training. I wonder if they would show up that way, and not be engaged, if they were fighter units training for kamikaze. Anyhow, the CAP was far less than anticipated when the mouseover had been showing 200+ fighters there. But all didn't go as planned. The B-29s that were supposed to hit Yokohama's airfield at night didn't fly. The 100+ P-47s at Oita that were supposed to sweep Yokohama didn't fly. The carrier bombers didn't attack the enemy battleships at Yokohama due to weather. They did attack sub chasers and minesweepers to the south. B-24s did hit Yokohama's port.

Total air losses were 26 Zeros, 14 Rufes, 5 Irvings and 3 Franks for the cost of 3 Hellcats, 3 B-24Js, 2 P-38Gs and a F4U-1.

DD Hatsushima, Bomb hits 1
DD Hatakaze, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
SS I-179, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage
DD Hatsuharu, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CL Noshiro, Bomb hits 2
PB Toko Maru #4, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DD Shiokaze, Bomb hits 2, and is sunk
CMc Kuroshima, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
CMc Ashizaki, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
CMc Kurokami, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage

PB Kinsyo Maru #2, Bomb hits 1, on fire
ACM Tamozono Maru #2, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
DD Minekaze, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
DD Nenohi, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
PB Shinkyo Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DD Hatsushima, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Kamikaze, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CMc Kuroshima, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage

The enemy continued to get destroyed at Kumamoto.

Ground combat at Kumamoto (102,59)

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 93021 troops, 1426 guns, 1610 vehicles, Assault Value = 2862

Defending force 34553 troops, 235 guns, 25 vehicles, Assault Value = 645

Allied adjusted assault: 3742

Japanese adjusted defense: 37

Allied assault odds: 101 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: disruption(-), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+)

Japanese ground losses:
9692 casualties reported
Squads: 555 destroyed, 121 disabled
Non Combat: 60 destroyed, 303 disabled
Engineers: 21 destroyed, 5 disabled
Guns lost 97 (85 destroyed, 12 disabled)
Vehicles lost 15 (11 destroyed, 4 disabled)
Units destroyed 1

Allied ground losses:
1719 casualties reported
Squads: 23 destroyed, 97 disabled
Non Combat: 3 destroyed, 45 disabled
Engineers: 3 destroyed, 38 disabled
Vehicles lost 60 (8 destroyed, 52 disabled)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 2042
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 11/13/2020 7:26:49 PM   
apbarog

22 Apr 44

US subs moved to Tsushima to drop off some supply for the paratroopers there. They also started sweeping mines there.

SST Nautilus, Mine hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
SST Argonaut, Mine hits 1, heavy damage

Nautilus sank later in the day. Argonaut immediately moved to adjacent Fukuoka, a size 10 port. It will repair there.

P47s swept Hiroshima, finding 18 Irvings, 25 Georges, 43 Tonys and 49 Franks. The Thunderbolts did well, coming in very high at 35000 feet. 17 P-47D25s were lost. The enemy lost 24 Tonys, 19 Franks, 10 Georges and 8 Irvings.

Allied bombers hit Ayuthia and Bangkok, damaging the airfields. There are no enemy fighters here at the moment. This has been a quiet sector for awhile. Thought I'd stir it up a bit and see if fighters return. Allied troops are slowly advancing from the direction of Singapore. Victoria Point and the adjacent rail line base have been captured. The enemy continues to retreat towards Bangkok. Not a priority for me, but I'll advance as far as I can. Indian and Commonwealth troops lead the way here. The British were sent to China, for the most part.

First attack at Kagoshima goes ok. The enemy continues to show movement to Kagoshima from the north, but no units have arrived yet. They may, any day. I have just one division here, so no more attacks until reinforcements arrive.

Ground combat at Kagoshima (102,60)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 12796 troops, 206 guns, 287 vehicles, Assault Value = 433

Defending force 12072 troops, 132 guns, 81 vehicles, Assault Value = 134

Allied adjusted assault: 320

Japanese adjusted defense: 478

Allied assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 4)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), experience(-)
Attacker: leaders(+)

Japanese ground losses:
1139 casualties reported
Squads: 3 destroyed, 47 disabled
Non Combat: 4 destroyed, 37 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 12 disabled
Guns lost 20 (2 destroyed, 18 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
462 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 26 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 12 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Vehicles lost 11 (2 destroyed, 9 disabled)

Assaulting units:
25th Infantry Division
3rd USMC Tank Battalion
4th USMC Tank Battalion

Defending units:
64th Naval Guard Unit
63rd Construction Battalion
64th Construction Battalion
2nd Medium Mortar Battalion
36th JNAF AF Unit
20th AA Regiment
34th Ind.AA Gun Co
140th JAAF AF Bn
Kagoshima Fortress
2nd Port Unit
11th JAAF AF Bn
74th JAAF AF Bn
54th JNAF AF Unit /1
175th JAAF AF Bn
21th JNAF AF Unit
27th JAAF AF Bn /1
66th JAAF AF Bn /1

Second big attack at Nagasaki. Good progress. Fatigue and disruption are now high for the US troops, with values around 50 and 70. A few days of rest are in order, then the base may fall.

Ground combat at Nagasaki/Sasebo (102,58)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 64173 troops, 1131 guns, 925 vehicles, Assault Value = 1891

Defending force 37045 troops, 437 guns, 313 vehicles, Assault Value = 502

Allied adjusted assault: 472

Japanese adjusted defense: 169

Allied assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 2)

Allied Assault reduces fortifications to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: disruption(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
2708 casualties reported
Squads: 47 destroyed, 210 disabled
Non Combat: 62 destroyed, 82 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 28 disabled
Guns lost 108 (25 destroyed, 83 disabled)
Vehicles lost 50 (4 destroyed, 46 disabled)
Units destroyed 1

Allied ground losses:
1367 casualties reported
Squads: 5 destroyed, 120 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 19 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 46 disabled
Guns lost 54 (3 destroyed, 51 disabled)
Vehicles lost 27 (1 destroyed, 26 disabled)

The enemy continues to lose huge numbers of troops at Kumamoto. US divisions are now alternating attacks, with some resting and some attacking. It's a massacre, with huge enemy losses days in a row.

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 55513 troops, 855 guns, 1227 vehicles, Assault Value = 2739

Defending force 25094 troops, 175 guns, 16 vehicles, Assault Value = 245

Allied adjusted assault: 950

Japanese adjusted defense: 12

Allied assault odds: 79 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: disruption(-), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
7527 casualties reported
Squads: 309 destroyed, 47 disabled
Non Combat: 127 destroyed, 225 disabled
Engineers: 7 destroyed, 2 disabled
Guns lost 97 (80 destroyed, 17 disabled)
Units destroyed 2

Allied ground losses:
258 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 22 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 9 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Vehicles lost 14 (4 destroyed, 10 disabled)

With the Allied carriers sweeping Yokohama yesterday, the enemy battleships there now moved to Kobe. Allied CVs are moving to Naha for rearming. Allied CVEs are moving to near Amami Oshima to meet up with some AOs. From Kobe, the enemy BBs threaten Oita, so the 100+ P-47s there are moved back to Kurume.

B-29s will try to hit the city of Hiroshima at night. My B-29 pilots are trained to around 70 in ground bombing, but are green, with experience below 50. I'm contemplating replacing them with experienced pilots. Just not sure that the B-29s are more important than the B-24s, considering that I have bases on Kyushu now. Thinking about it. The low experience level is undoubtedly affecting the effectiveness of the B-29s, or even whether they fly at all, particularly at night.

< Message edited by apbarog -- 11/13/2020 8:33:06 PM >

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 2043
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 11/13/2020 8:14:04 PM   
BBfanboy

Nice progress at Kumamoto - looks like he has no vehicles left and you knocked out half of his guns last time. Should not take long now. Any unit not heavily disrupted could continue to attack to slow down the movement to Kagoshima. As you noted earlier, their getting there will mean you have to fight them on more favourable defensive terrain.

For clarity, I will mention that Yamamoto probably should be Yokohama/Yokosuka. His BBs must have fled to Kobe at flank speed, using a lot of fuel up. That is all good right now!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 2044
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 11/13/2020 8:35:54 PM   
apbarog

quote:

Nice progress at Kumamoto - looks like he has no vehicles left and you knocked out half of his guns last time. Should not take long now. Any unit not heavily disrupted could continue to attack to slow down the movement to Kagoshima. As you noted earlier, their getting there will mean you have to fight them on more favourable defensive terrain.

For clarity, I will mention that Yamamoto probably should be Yokohama/Yokosuka. His BBs must have fled to Kobe at flank speed, using a lot of fuel up. That is all good right now!

Good catch! Yamamoto... It's an honor to be recognized for an such an egregious misnaming, following in the footsteps of some famous AARs from the past.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2045
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 11/15/2020 1:28:31 AM   
apbarog

23 Apr 44

Enemy ships show up at Oita, as I thought might happen. I had pulled out the 100+ P-47s there, so no aircraft were lost. First, a task force with MTBs, SCs and an AMc appears.

MTB G-543, Mine hits 1, heavy damage
MTB G-538, Mine hits 1, heavy damage

TF 175 encounters mine field at Oita (104,59) - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

12 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
AMc Hino Maru #4, Shell hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage

18th Marine Defense Battalion firing at AMc Hino Maru #4

Then the enemy task force with 6 battleships arrived. They ran into PT-219, with 2 combats taking place, but the single PT boat evaded and escaped. Then the big enemy task force found more than a few mines. There were just about 320 mines there. Best mining result I've seen in a long time.

BB Ise, Mine hits 3, heavy damage
BB Fuso, Mine hits 3, on fire
BB Nagato, Mine hits 2
BB Mutsu, Mine hits 1
DD Suzukaze, Mine hits 1
DD Yamakaze, Mine hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
DD Samidare, Mine hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
DD Yudachi, Mine hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Murasame, Mine hits 1, heavy damage
BB Hyuga, Mine hits 1
CL Kitakami, Mine hits 1
DD Kawakaze, Mine hits 1, heavy damage

PT-219 then engaged 3 battleships and a destroyer at night, at 2000 yards. The PT boat missed Hyuga with a torpedo, and Hyuga promptly destroyed the PT boat. These 3 battleships then bombarded, sinking the 2 ACMs in port and causing moderate base damage.

B-29s arrived in a fragmented fashion over Hiroshima at night. 5871 fires. I've decided to replace all the B-29 pilots with experienced pilots. Culling other bomber unit pilots now, with replacement to start tomorrow.

Sub Lapon sank AMc Heizan Maru just west of Truk.

I went back to Truk with P-38s to kill more Zeros, but found that Georges had arrived. Bad news for the Lightnings. 11 P-38s lost, downing 2 Zeros and 1 George. Rather see Georges at Truk than at Japan though.

Bettys from Rabaul bombed Milne Bay. Some Boomerangs there, with no CAP, so a target of opportunity. I move the C-12s to Port Moresby.

Sub Plaice sank E-boat No.12 near Oki Shoto.

Most of the enemy moved out of Kumamoto, moving south into Kagoshima. Two units didn't make it out today. Thousands more casualties. Kagoshima is now cleared of the enemy. Allied troops head south.

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 65939 troops, 1061 guns, 1348 vehicles, Assault Value = 2772

Defending force 4503 troops, 35 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 28

Allied adjusted assault: 3578

Japanese adjusted defense: 1

Allied assault odds: 3578 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: disruption(-), fatigue(-), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
5493 casualties reported
Squads: 188 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 300 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 16 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 39 (39 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units destroyed 2

Assaulting units:
637th Tank Destroyer Battalion
3rd Marine Division
5th USMC Tank Battalion
6th Infantry Division
40th Infantry Division
1st USMC Tank Battalion
193rd Tank Battalion
18th Cmbt Engineer Regiment
43rd Infantry Division
2nd Marine Division
1st Marine Division
33rd Infantry Division
754th Tank Battalion
110th Cmbt Engineer Battalion
34th Cmbt Engineer Regiment
640th Tank Destroyer Battalion
2/5th Armoured Regiment
147th Field Artillery Battalion
225th Field Artillery Battalion
223rd Field Artillery Battalion
1st USMC Field Artillery Battalion
I US Corps
2/533rd Boat&Shore Engineer Battalion
V Amphib Corps
4th AmphTrac Engineer Battalion
III Amphib Corps
602nd Field Artillery Battalion
601st Field Artillery Battalion
249th Field Artillery Battalion
57th Aus Lt AA Regiment

Defending units:
6th Depot Division
Waifu JAAF Base Force

A US tank destroyer battalion was inadvertently left with orders to continue the attack at Nagasaki, while the rest of the army rested. It took heavy losses. The rest will be ready to attack again in a day or two.

I could put more mines at Oita, but after today's many mine hits on Japanese battleships, I don't think they'll come back. I'll save the mines in case I need to do another landing next month.

< Message edited by apbarog -- 11/15/2020 1:30:11 AM >

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 2046
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 11/15/2020 6:20:24 PM   
Evoken

really good results with mines, congrats!

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 2047
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 11/16/2020 1:23:05 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Ouch on the mines. Well done.

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Evoken)
Post #: 2048
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 11/16/2020 1:41:29 AM   
apbarog

24 Apr 44

Sallys bombed Fukuoka's port at night. They were going after a handful of ships in port. The sub Nautilus is there too, repairing. Just some scratches to the port itself, easily repaired by the end of the day. Night fighters are moved here.

Blackfish sank sub chaser CHa-25 near Nagoya.

Light cruisers Hobart, De Ruyter and Sumatra bombarded Tokara Retto, a bypassed island southwest of Kyushu. 2 vehicles were hit. I wonder if everything that could be picked up by sub or aircraft has left the island, since all that was hit was vehicles.

I don't mention it, but the big British cruiser force has continued to bombard Canton every night. No flak is noted any longer. I think supply has finally run out. Too bad that the Chinese took huge disablements in their attack a couple of weeks ago.

OPilot is resorting to bombing places that show no Allied fighters. Places that don't matter, but are easy targets. The war is almost over, and there isn't much the Japanese can really do about it. 32 Frances bombed Ternate. 27 Peggys bombed Kanhsien. 27 Peggys bombed Changteh.

27 Helens bombed Tanegashima. I should have had fighters there. It's a size 4 airfield just south of Kyushu, and I'm basing recon and search aircraft there. A couple of planes were destroyed.

A first attack at Kanoya shows that one division may not be enough with the defensible terrain. Forts were reduced, and the odds weren't bad, but casualties were in favor of the Japanese.

Ground combat at Kanoya (102,61)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 11837 troops, 202 guns, 135 vehicles, Assault Value = 346

Defending force 5948 troops, 46 guns, 29 vehicles, Assault Value = 66

Allied adjusted assault: 311

Japanese adjusted defense: 196

Allied assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 4)

Allied Assault reduces fortifications to 3

Combat modifiers
Attacker: leaders(+)

Japanese ground losses:
144 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 16 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Allied ground losses:
333 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 35 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled

Assaulting units:
38th Infantry Division

Defending units:
16th Naval Guard Unit
72nd Air Flotilla
57th Construction Battalion
23rd Medium Field Artillery Regiment
Kanoya JNAF Base Force
64th JNAF AF Unit /1

Nagasaki will be attacked today. Many carrier and escort carrier task forces will move in range of Tshushima and hit the ground units there. There had been just the big fortress unit there when I dropped paras. Now there are 2 units there, and the enemy troop strength is increasing by about 100 troops per day. Subs are spotted there every day. He's reinforcing. I'm bombing it today and dropping the rest of the para unit today. Rolling the dice. If I take it good. If not, I'll sit there and wait. Not a priority, as I have a naval path through the area now.

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 2049
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 11/16/2020 6:43:11 AM   
CaptBeefheart

You might want to toss in another para battalion or two if you have the troops and C-47s handy. I usually drop 11th Airborne on Tsushima (which probably doesn't come until later).

Cheers,
CB

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 2050
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 11/16/2020 5:21:56 PM   
apbarog

quote:

ORIGINAL: CaptBeefheart

You might want to toss in another para battalion or two if you have the troops and C-47s handy. I usually drop 11th Airborne on Tsushima (which probably doesn't come until later).

Cheers,
CB

The 11th Airborne recently left San Francisco. The half-of-a-regiment that I dropped on Tsushima is the biggest non-Indian para unit that I have. My limiting factor was that the regiment, and 2 smaller Australian para units, were on Amami Oshima, which is just a size 4 airfield and could use more air HQ support. I was limited in how many C-47s I could fly at once.

Post #: 2051
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 11/16/2020 8:59:04 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: apbarog

quote:

Cheers,
CB

The 11th Airborne recently left San Francisco. The half-of-a-regiment that I dropped on Tsushima is the biggest non-Indian para unit that I have. My limiting factor was that the regiment, and 2 smaller Australian para units, were on Amami Oshima, which is just a size 4 airfield and could use more air HQ support. I was limited in how many C-47s I could fly at once.

For a one-time operation you can overstack and have more aircraft than air support. It just means some un-coordination of the arrivals at the drop site and maintenance getting backlogged when the aircraft return. Easily fixed by flying the excess aircraft out after the op.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 2052
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 11/16/2020 9:11:39 PM   
apbarog

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cheers,
CB

For a one-time operation you can overstack and have more aircraft than air support. It just means some un-coordination of the arrivals at the drop site and maintenance getting backlogged when the aircraft return. Easily fixed by flying the excess aircraft out after the op.

Not worried about the maintenance. Just worried about the overstacking. When I'm dropping paras, I want to know how many will drop. And that they will drop, without a doubt.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2053
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 11/16/2020 9:33:01 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cheers,
CB

Not worried about the maintenance. Just worried about the overstacking. When I'm dropping paras, I want to know how many will drop. And that they will drop, without a doubt.

Hmmm - I have never observed that overstacking completely obviates any units from flying, but then I haven't done it that much. I did one drop on Paramushiro Jima from three of the Kurile islands, all overstacked with transports. I was surprised how much of the para units was left behind, but the four units dropped (three Marine paras, one Aussie Commando/Para unit) had a lot of AV and easily took the island. There were no units that did not fly and no ops losses.

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 2054
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 11/17/2020 5:57:12 AM   
apbarog

25 Apr 44

An enemy MTB hit a mine south of Yokohama.

Battleship West Virginia was the surviving battleship of the US task force of 3 battleships that tangled with 6 enemy battleships at Oita. It made it back to Manila for some minor repairs. I decided to send it back to Singapore for major repairs. It was a risk, particularly with damage at SYS 65/FLOT 5-5/ENG 33-0/FIRE 0.

Sub attack near Jolo at 72,87

Japanese Ships
SS RO-37, hits 12, heavy damage

Allied Ships
BB West Virginia, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage
DE Harold C. Thomas

SS RO-37 launches 4 torpedoes at BB West Virginia
DE Harold C. Thomas attacking submerged sub ....
DE Harold C. Thomas fails to find sub, continues to search...
DE Harold C. Thomas attacking submerged sub ....
Debris floats to surface in area of attack!

West Virginia is now SYS 89/FLOT 45-30/ENG 35-0/FIRE 17, and is 3 hexes northwest of Jolo. Jolo is a size 4 port. Travel time to Jolo is 1 or 2 days, probably 2, at cruise speed. It could make it there in 1 day at full speed, but I don't like the odds of that working out. As it is, I give it a 50-50 chance to make it to port. If the fire gets out of hand, it may not matter if it makes it that far or not.

P-47s swept Tsushima, again finding Franks and Jacks, but this time, it was almost like the enemy wasn't the same as before. The Thunderbolts shot down 18 Franks and 14 Jacks, for the loss of just 3 of their own. It's possible that the enemy has been on LRCAP over Tsushima since I had dropped paras, and they got tired out.

B-24s hit the airfield and port, sinking an ACM there. Every naval bomber on my carriers and escort carriers was ordered to hit the ground troops on Tsushima, but none flew. Bad weather over the carriers.

Most of the rest of the 503rd Parachute Regiment dropped, supporting those already there which also shock attacked. We discovered that the enemy 3rd Raiding Regiment had recently been brought in.

Ground combat at Tsushima (103,56)

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 1271 troops, 12 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 74

Defending force 2763 troops, 37 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 76

Allied adjusted assault: 32

Japanese adjusted defense: 123

Allied assault odds: 1 to 3 (fort level 6)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), disruption(-), preparation(-)
fatigue(-), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(+), leaders(-)

Japanese ground losses:
89 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 12 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Allied ground losses:
280 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 34 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Assaulting units:
503rd Parachute Rgt /1

Defending units:
3rd Raiding Regiment
Tsushima Fortress

Tsushima isn't that important, but now it's important to me. 6 slow US battleships will bombard, braving the big guns of Tsushima. C-47s will drop supply which the paras need. P-47s will again sweep. Carrier naval bombers keep their orders to hit enemy ground troops on Tsushima. 3 units at Manila that had been prepping for Tsushima but weren't going to be used, will now be used. They will board APAs and also take their chances against the big guns. I hope to have worn down the fortress unit by the time they get there from Manila. For now, I'll try to keep the paras alive.

Another US attack at Nagasaki. Some US divisions rest, others attack, then they alternate. The base should fall today.

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 39492 troops, 659 guns, 614 vehicles, Assault Value = 2307

Defending force 34859 troops, 419 guns, 317 vehicles, Assault Value = 321

Allied adjusted assault: 642

Japanese adjusted defense: 358

Allied assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 1)

Allied Assault reduces fortifications to 0

Combat modifiers
Defender: experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
2505 casualties reported
Squads: 108 destroyed, 21 disabled
Non Combat: 11 destroyed, 131 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 5 disabled
Guns lost 69 (34 destroyed, 35 disabled)
Vehicles lost 37 (8 destroyed, 29 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
485 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 52 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 11 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Guns lost 22 (13 destroyed, 9 disabled)
Vehicles lost 53 (3 destroyed, 50 disabled)

Assaulting units:
193rd Tank Battalion
3rd Arm Amphib Battalion
93rd Infantry Division
4th Marine Division
41st Infantry Division
819th Towed Tank Destroyer Battalion
2nd Arm Amphib Battalion
102nd Cmbt Engineer Regiment
Americal Infantry Division
31st Infantry Division
37th Infantry Division
640th Tank Destroyer Battalion
XI US Corps
205th Field Artillery Battalion
154th Field Artillery Battalion
97th Field Artillery Battalion
98th Field Artillery Battalion

Defending units:
Sasebo 3rd SNLF
62nd Naval Guard Unit
9th Tank Regiment
57th Division
Sasebo 6th SNLF
Nagasaki Fortress
208th Ship Eng Coy
Sasebo Naval Fortress
21st Medium Field Artillery Battalion
12th RF Gun Battalion
25th Air Defense AA Regiment
18th Ship Engineer Regiment
61st Air Flotilla
29th JNAF AF Unit
21st Ind.AA Gun Co
206th Ship Eng Coy
15th Ship Engineer Regiment
Kogetsu JAAF Base Force
306th Ship Eng Coy
23rd Field Construction Battalion
21st Air Defense AA Regiment
21st Air Defense AA Battalion
Western Army
63rd JNAF AF Unit
16th Ship Engineer Regiment
106th Ship Eng Coy
1st Mortar Regiment
3rd FF Const Unit
7th Port Unit
109th Ship Eng Coy
309th Ship Eng Coy
6th Ship Engineer Regiment
308th Ship Eng Coy
8th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
108th Ship Eng Coy
Sasebo Naval Base Force
209th Ship Eng Coy
188th JAAF AF Bn /1

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2055
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 11/18/2020 1:37:30 AM   
apbarog

26 Apr 44

It was a rotten day for the good guys. Battleship West Virginia, damaged by the fight at Oita awhile back, and recently torpedoed northwest of Jolo, on the way to Singapore, did make it the three hexes to Jolo but sank during the turn.

xAKL Hatsu Maru hit a mine south of Yokohama. I'm surprised the mines are still there.

A British task force went to Tsushima to bombard. They did, but with poor results. The big US task force with 6 slow battleships pulled up short and didn't arrive. Probably a good thing.

TF 690 encounters mine field at Tsushima (103,56)

Allied Ships
BB Queen Elizabeth, Mine hits 1
BB Valiant, Mine hits 1
CL Caradoc, Mine hits 1
CL Ceylon, Mine hits 1
DD Penn, Mine hits 1, on fire
DD Quickmatch, Mine hits 1, on fire

Caradoc was then hit by a torpedo from I-53 at Tsushima. The battleships were barely scratched, with SYS damage of 3 and 4. Caradoc is SYS 27/FLOT 64-59/ENG 13-8/FIRE 0. Quickmatch is SYS 34/FLOT 32-29/ENG 6-5/FIRE 0. Penn is SYS 16/FLOT 22-22/ENG 0/FIRE 0. All ships made it safely to the size 10 port at Fukuoka, just one hex from Tsushima.

P-47s swept Tsushima, but there was no enemy LRCAP. B-24s hit the airfield and the port, doing minor damage. Poor weather. Hundreds and hundreds of naval bombers from the carriers hit the troops on Tsushima, but the results were very poor. In one strike, 350 bombers caused 29 casualties. The weather was a factor. The fortress unit is difficult to hit, and the terrain is woods. As it turned out, the enemy ground troops did not attack. C-47s flew in adequate supply for the paras, who should be able to hold out now. A further increase of enemy troops is noted, with a sub there. I've had LRCAP over the base, so the troops aren't flying in.

Good results at Nagoya during the night. B-29s hit the city. Mouse-over shows damage of 14 HI and 23 LI, and possibly some aircraft factory damage. Terrible results at Nagoya during the day. Many B-25s attacked the port but ran into 38 Franks. The P-38s swept the base, but after all the B-25s had arrived, and by that point, there were no Franks still flying. 44 B-25s were shot down. They downed 12 Franks. An ACM was sunk in port, but nothing else. The enemy battleships apparently did not disband into port, but continued on to Yokohama. The B-25 pilots had just been replaced before the mission with low experience but adequately trained in ground bombing pilots. The experienced pilots were sent to the B-29s.

Better news on Kyushu. Kagoshima and Nagasaki are both close to being captured.

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 43366 troops, 755 guns, 1139 vehicles, Assault Value = 1431

Defending force 23672 troops, 219 guns, 99 vehicles, Assault Value = 141

Allied engineers reduce fortifications to 3

Allied adjusted assault: 1401

Japanese adjusted defense: 415

Allied assault odds: 3 to 1 (fort level 3)

Allied Assault reduces fortifications to 3

Combat modifiers
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
1155 casualties reported
Squads: 34 destroyed, 84 disabled
Non Combat: 9 destroyed, 95 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 24 disabled
Guns lost 45 (14 destroyed, 31 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
504 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 21 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 22 disabled
Engineers: 3 destroyed, 27 disabled
Vehicles lost 18 (1 destroyed, 17 disabled)

and

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 39363 troops, 637 guns, 703 vehicles, Assault Value = 2244

Defending force 32087 troops, 388 guns, 311 vehicles, Assault Value = 279

Allied adjusted assault: 496

Japanese adjusted defense: 258

Allied assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 0)

Combat modifiers
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
2968 casualties reported
Squads: 29 destroyed, 16 disabled
Non Combat: 96 destroyed, 126 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 9 disabled
Guns lost 57 (26 destroyed, 31 disabled)
Vehicles lost 32 (13 destroyed, 19 disabled)
Units destroyed 1

Allied ground losses:
563 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 82 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 9 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled
Guns lost 19 (1 destroyed, 18 disabled)
Vehicles lost 43 (33 destroyed, 10 disabled)

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 2056
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 11/18/2020 8:46:50 PM   
apbarog

Mississippi

Mississippi was damaged at Namlea, hit by 3 torpedoes dropped by Bettys, on 7 Nov 43. It made its way to Sydney, and has been repairing in a large ARD for months. Cpt Rockwell W. Torrey has been sidelined from the war all this time, stuck in Sydney. Torrey was recovering from a fluke injury to his hand when the wheel spun wildly out of control during the attack. Some say that a Zero's bullet hit the wheel, but no fighters were spotted at Namlea. Regardless, it's been all nurses and no enemy for Torrey in Australia.

Will he get into the fight before the war is over?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 2057
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 11/18/2020 9:19:13 PM   
apbarog

What a Long Strange Trip It's Been

Attachment (1)

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 2058
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 11/19/2020 1:41:44 AM   
CaptBeefheart

It's the little things that make this a great game.

Cheers,
CB

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 2059
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 11/19/2020 2:43:30 AM   
apbarog

27 Apr 44

Battleship Hiei and 3 cruisers were spotted just west of Ominato. Now we have at least one enemy battleship on the "north" side of Japan. The fight at Tsushima is probably drawing the attention. US big carriers will move just NW of Tsushima, to have a chance at hitting the enemy before it gets to Tsushima. B-24s will mine Tsushima at night. This will keep me from invading by sea for awhile, but it may also keep the enemy battleships away. I'll settle for a stalemate on the island.

Sub Pintado spotted an E boat in a separate task force in the same hex as Hiei. Pintado missed E Chiburi with 2 torpedoes, but later in the night, Pintado attacked again and sank Chiburi. Pintado sank another E boat just yesterday in the same area.

B-29s went back to Nagoya for a second night in a row. This is the first time that I did not rest extensively after a raid. They did good work. Mouse-over suggests another 16 HI damaged and an additional 78 LI damaged.

B-24s hit Tsushima, but the carrier bombers did not fly. Their orders remain, with naval strike primary and ground strike at Tsushima secondary. Range is limited to 4 today, to avoid going to Hiroshima.

Progress at Kagoshima and Nagasaki. Capture is near. Divisions continue to cycle in and out of the attack at Nagasaki. The 2 divisions that just attacked are now badly fatigued and disrupted, and will need almost a week of rest to recover. It's up to the other divisions to take Nagasaki now, or we'll have to rest for awhile.

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 42522 troops, 751 guns, 1127 vehicles, Assault Value = 1387

Defending force 22244 troops, 224 guns, 103 vehicles, Assault Value = 90

Allied adjusted assault: 842

Japanese adjusted defense: 232

Allied assault odds: 3 to 1 (fort level 3)

Allied Assault reduces fortifications to 2

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
2156 casualties reported
Squads: 89 destroyed, 21 disabled
Non Combat: 19 destroyed, 99 disabled
Engineers: 6 destroyed, 29 disabled
Guns lost 56 (11 destroyed, 45 disabled)
Vehicles lost 24 (10 destroyed, 14 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
479 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 36 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 9 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 7 disabled
Vehicles lost 15 (2 destroyed, 13 disabled)

and

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 38886 troops, 637 guns, 680 vehicles, Assault Value = 2197

Defending force 30025 troops, 378 guns, 304 vehicles, Assault Value = 256

Allied adjusted assault: 359

Japanese adjusted defense: 300

Allied assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 0)

Combat modifiers
Defender:
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
1571 casualties reported
Squads: 46 destroyed, 12 disabled
Non Combat: 72 destroyed, 77 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled
Guns lost 48 (19 destroyed, 29 disabled)
Vehicles lost 18 (18 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
165 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 55 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 7 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 5 disabled
Vehicles lost 28 (10 destroyed, 18 disabled)

Post #: 2060
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 11/19/2020 2:44:40 AM   
ushakov

The story of the Dewey's escape was greatly enhanced for me when I discovered that the Ethel Edwards was apparently - there are few descriptions of her and no photos that I could find - a 150 ton coaster. Now picturing this tiny thing floating inside the Dewey all the way to Hawaii with fuel barrels stacked across every inch of the deck.

Post #: 2061
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 11/20/2020 8:34:26 PM   
apbarog

It's the small stories, like Dewey's escape from the Philippines, that I'll remember 10 years from now.

28 Apr 44

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ushakov)
Post #: 2062
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 11/21/2020 10:23:36 PM   
apbarog

29 Apr 44

With Kagoshima captured, 4 YMS moved in and started to sweep the many mines there. Still work to be done.

Tsushima gets hit by B-24s and TBFs flying from carriers well to the southwest. The airbase and port are moderately damaged. 2 enemy subs spotted there, with more troops unloading, judging by the mouse-over. B-24s dropped mines at Tsushima to complicate things for those subs.

Greenling sank sub chaser Ch 43 near Wakkanai.

3 battered enemy divisions still at Kagoshima, showing 0 combat value in the replay. 1724 enemy casualties from the US attack. US troops mostly resting at Nagasaki, with just artillery firing. 154 enemy casualties with many enemy unit trapped there.

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 2063
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 11/23/2020 12:36:07 AM   
apbarog

30 Apr 44

The rest of the mines, over 200, were swept at Kagoshima. The port will start taking ships. YMS-293 was lost with a mine hit there.

2 enemy ACMs were spotted fleeing from Kagoshima, but they ran into a transport force and escaped. I knew they were there but didn't bother trying to track them down. Looks like they are headed towards Moppo in Korea.

Beaufighters from Kyushu hit AMc Ataka Maru at Tokuyama, near Oita.

AMc Ataka Maru, Shell hits 10, Bomb hits 20, and is sunk

Aircraft Attacking:
21 x Beaufighter VIc bombing from 100 feet
Naval Attack: 2 x 250 lb SAP Bomb

Must have been bombed while sinking. Can't imagine 20 250 pound bomb hits on a tiny minesweeper.

Sub Cisco was sunk near Ominato, in deep water. E No. 17 hit it with depth charges, forcing it to surface. Cisco then exchanged gunfire with No. 17 and two other E-boats, No. 11 and No. 17. Two of the E-boat were set on fire by single hits from Cisco. It's just much more dangerous for the US subs right at Japan. US subs losses in the past month have exceeded losses for the entire war prior. OPilot has an extensive and effective air ASW operation going in Japan. It was mostly absent everywhere else earlier in the war.

Cleanup at Kagoshima. 2 of the 3 remaining divisions were eliminated.

Japanese ground losses:
4607 casualties reported
Squads: 42 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 622 destroyed, 133 disabled
Guns lost 40 (40 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Vehicles lost 5 (5 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units destroyed 2

Troops resting at Nagasaki, but the artillery did pretty well on its own.

Allied Bombardment attack

Attacking force 672 troops, 68 guns, 56 vehicles, Assault Value = 2182

Defending force 22211 troops, 240 guns, 106 vehicles, Assault Value = 87

Japanese ground losses:
258 casualties reported
Squads: 12 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 6 destroyed, 5 disabled
Guns lost 5 (3 destroyed, 2 disabled)
Vehicles lost 1 (1 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units destroyed 1

This was one of those big planning turns. I may have to go beyond Kyushu to win the war, so I've made a plan. For the next month or so, Allied bases on Kyushu will build big and there will be a major air effort over Japan. If Japan is still standing, then 4 divisions plus support will cross from Kyushu to Shimonoeki. About 50000 enemy are already at Shimonoeoki, so that fight will not be won easily. I hope the crossing will draw more enemy to Shimoneoki. After a few days or so, I will then land 4 divisions plus support at Tokuyama, which is next to Shimoneoki and very near to Oita. A deeper landing will take place on the "north" coast at Tottori, where 6 divisions plus support will land. Landing at Tottori and moving from there one hex west would cut the island, isolating the fight at Shinonoeki. Tottori is clear terrain and is not heavily defended at the moment. Paras may be used if there is a target of opportunity that could contribute to the landings.

All of this won't happen in the next month. APAs are upgrading and I'm sending several battleships and a bunch of light cruisers to Manila to upgrade, which will take about 3 weeks. So, if bombing doesn't end the war in the next month, these landings should end the war not long after. The big prize of Hiroshima would be cut off and captured.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 2064
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 11/24/2020 3:48:33 PM   
Bif1961

Captain Rockwell Torrey was relieved of command of his heavy cruiser at Pearl Harbor as it was torpedoed chasing the ghost of the KB. In the attack he was thrown against the bulkhead and hatch opening and broke his arm. Man he has had bad luck with injuries.

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 2065
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 11/24/2020 5:37:37 PM   
apbarog

1 May 44

All mines cleared at Nagasaki. An AMc and a YMS hit mines there and sank.

Enemy bombers made night port attacks at Naha, Fukuoka and Amami Oshima. Fukuoka and Amami Oshima had a few night fighters up. The bombers didn't hit anything, but it is annoying. Sometimes I react in the same manner with a big night raid. The Allies can do it ten times better than the Japanese can. Then night activity goes away for awhile. I just dislike the night air activity. It's a mini-game within the game that is used when day bombing is too costly or impossible.

I don't have problem with strategic night bombing though. I think that works out realistically. B-29s hit Okayama at night, but did little damage in severe storms.

US destroyers from Fukuoka headed northeast to patrol, and they found the enemy battleship task force just east of Ulleungdo.

Day Time Surface Combat, near Ulleungdo at 109,52, Range 12,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
BB Hiei, Shell hits 2
CA Takao, Shell hits 1
CA Chokai
CA Mikuma, Shell hits 3
DD Yugumo, Shell hits 2
DD Kazegumo, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Takanami, Shell hits 1
DD Hamanami, Shell hits 10, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Kiyoshimo, Shell hits 7, on fire
DD Umigiri, Shell hits 1

Allied Ships
DD Lewis Hancock
DD Isherwood, Shell hits 1
DD Ringgold, Shell hits 1
DD John Rodgers, Shell hits 12, and is sunk
DD Sigsbee, Shell hits 3
DD Sproston, Shell hits 8, heavy fires, heavy damage

Low visibility due to Rain
Maximum visibility in Rain: 15,000 yards

In the early fight, the US DDs did very well, tangling mostly with the enemy DDs and getting the better of the fight. After the US force was ordered to disengage, the range actually closed and Hiei and the cruisers became more involved, getting some damaging hits on 2 DDs. John Rodgers sank during the fight. Sproston sank just after combat. The other destroyers are minimally damaged. All in all, the US force performed well and may have prevented a bombardment of Tsushima. We'll see. The enemy was not spotted later in the day.

P-38s swept Okayama. The early sweeps found no CAP. The later one found Nicks training. 5 Nicks shot down. B-24s then bombed the city, doing more damage than the B-29s did. Slightly better weather for the B-24s, and day bombing.

Multiple P-47D25 squadrons swept Hiroshima, one at a time. The best of the best enemy fighters and pilots are at Hiroshima, the most front-line base. Initial CAP was 18 Zeros, 31 Jacks, 54 Georges and 80 Franks. The early Thunderbolt sweeps took even losses with the enemy. The later sweeps did much better. Corsairs and Hellcats swept last, which was the best scenario, but they did poorly and got shot down in big numbers. They just can't go up against the best Japanese planes and pilots, even after the enemy has been worn down. I have to stick to using my best against their best. Remember, this is a PDU OFF game. I like to keep all my planes involved, but some things just don't work out. Total air losses were 27 Jacks, 22 Franks, 15 Georges and 10 Zeros for the cost of 27 P-47D25s, 19 F6F-3s and 11 F4U-1As. The ratio had been much better before the Hellcats and Corsairs swept.

A US destroyer force headed towards Saipan from Okinawa, hoping to sneak in close and raid the port the next night. Many ships there. But they were spotted about 8 hexes NW of Saipan, and Frances attacked. All torpedoes missed. The DDs will retire to Manila.

Northwest of Rabaul, Boomerangs from Port Moresby found a surface group that had been spotted in the area recently. 5 Boomerangs shot down by flak.

Morning Air attack on TF, near Cape Gloucester at 102,123

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid spotted at 14 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Allied aircraft
Boomerang C-12 x 23

Allied aircraft losses
Boomerang C-12: 4 damaged
Boomerang C-12: 1 destroyed by flak

Japanese Ships
DD Minazuki, Shell hits 1, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CL Tama
DD Fumizuki
DD Satsuki
DD Asagumo
DD Minegumo, Shell hits 2

Aircraft Attacking:
22 x Boomerang C-12 bombing from 100 feet
Naval Attack: 2 x 500 lb SAP Bomb

and

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Cape Gloucester at 102,123

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid spotted at 27 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Allied aircraft
Boomerang C-12 x 17

Allied aircraft losses
Boomerang C-12: 9 damaged
Boomerang C-12: 1 destroyed by flak

Japanese Ships
DD Nagatsuki, Shell hits 1
DD Fumizuki, Shell hits 8, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DD Natsugumo, Shell hits 6

Aircraft Attacking:
17 x Boomerang C-12 bombing from 100 feet
Naval Attack: 2 x 500 lb SAP Bomb

A nuisance attack in a generally quiet area. The enemy makes supply runs to Lae occasionally, and may pick up troops also sometimes.

Sub Dorado sank ACM Kyo Maru #11 near Kochi. 2 ACMs were running east from Kanoya.

Kagoshima is cleared of the last enemy division. Some troops will move to Kanoya.

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 41216 troops, 743 guns, 1102 vehicles, Assault Value = 1378

Defending force 2781 troops, 9 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 9

Allied adjusted assault: 619

Japanese adjusted defense: 1

Allied assault odds: 619 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), leaders(-), disruption(-)
preparation(-), fatigue(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
3365 casualties reported
Squads: 8 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 298 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 10 (10 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units destroyed 1

Enemy troops isolated at Nagasaki will be attacked today. Lots of enemy there, mostly support troops.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 2066
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 11/24/2020 6:42:58 PM   
BBfanboy

Fighters seem to be your main resistance at the moment. I'm not sure how many fighter factories you destroyed on Kyushu, but if you can figure out where they are you might be able to target your air attacks and invasions to match. For example, Gifu and the mountain base NW of Tokyo are big aircraft manufacturing bases. There is a chance the ground forces there are weak and a big para drop (sacrificial for the paras) might take the base and thereby destroy all that air opposition.
Recon of the bases would likely be taken as a prelude to a night Strat bombing attack rather than a para drop, so his fighters would be mostly set for night defence and he likely would not place more troops there. It's a gambit, but if you have lots of transports and paras it might be worth it.

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 2067
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 11/24/2020 6:46:13 PM   
BBfanboy

Re: the port attack at Ominato - are those hundreds of ships disbanded or in TFs. TFs call for naval attack and there is no way to set the target. If disbanded you will get great results with Port attack whether night or day - you could do both. Chances are fighter cover will be light.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2068
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 11/25/2020 2:55:03 AM   
apbarog

quote:

Re: the port attack at Ominato - are those hundreds of ships disbanded or in TFs. TFs call for naval attack and there is no way to set the target. If disbanded you will get great results with Port attack whether night or day - you could do both. Chances are fighter cover will be light.

The ships were all disbanded in port. A few weeks ago. A plan is in motion to hit whatever is still there.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2069
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 11/25/2020 2:56:08 AM   
apbarog

2 May 44

Sub Hackleback spots a huge convoy of xAKLs west of Ominato. 2 torpedoes missed xAKL Tihuka Maru, and Hackleback was hit by a depth charge from PB Kunitu Maru.

Fortunate events north of Fukuoka. A British task force with battleships Valiant and Queen Elizabeth were just north of Fukuoka, and east of Tsushima, guarding the approaches in case that enemy BB task force showed up. Judys and Lilys were moved to Korea, probably to hunt the US destroyers involved in the combat yesterday. But the dive bombers found bigger targets. Fortunately for me, I had some P-38s at Fukuoka on range 1 CAP. I intended for them to help cover Kurume, but they responded to the attack on the British ships. Many enemy were shot down, and many more were lost to flak. A few dropped bombs that all missed. 25 Judys and 19 Lilys were shot down.

Helldivers from a US carrier attacked the 2 ACMs at Moppo, still in a task force there. Both were easily sunk.

Cleanup continued at Nagasaki. The US troops really take a hit to fatigue and disruption with these attacks, so some rest is called for again. I'll let the artillery continue for a couple of days.

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 63722 troops, 1041 guns, 962 vehicles, Assault Value = 2259

Defending force 22457 troops, 237 guns, 104 vehicles, Assault Value = 87

Allied adjusted assault: 583

Japanese adjusted defense: 101

Allied assault odds: 5 to 1

Combat modifiers
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
2799 casualties reported
Squads: 162 destroyed, 15 disabled
Non Combat: 73 destroyed, 134 disabled
Engineers: 10 destroyed, 12 disabled
Guns lost 79 (57 destroyed, 22 disabled)
Vehicles lost 27 (14 destroyed, 13 disabled)
Units destroyed 3

Allied ground losses:
143 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 28 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Vehicles lost 19 (1 destroyed, 18 disabled)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 2070
Page:   <<   < prev  67 68 [69] 70 71   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apbarog(A) vs OPilot(J) Page: <<   < prev  67 68 [69] 70 71   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI