Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Secondary attributes in unpacked device files

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Secondary attributes in unpacked device files Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Secondary attributes in unpacked device files - 11/24/2020 3:23:33 PM   
AtParmentier

Hello,

I know there are secondary attributes you can change for devices when you unpack the files.
I would like to know when these values are used instead of the primary ones. Especially for dual purpose and AA guns.
If somebody could help me out with this I would be grateful.

Greetings,
Parm.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Secondary attributes in unpacked device files - 11/24/2020 10:40:09 PM   
Alfred

Learn the game first. Without knowing the actual game code, tinkering with secondary attributes will break the game.

Alfred

(in reply to AtParmentier)
Post #: 2
RE: Secondary attributes in unpacked device files - 11/25/2020 1:03:20 PM   
PaxMondo

+1

you can easily break quite a bit playing with the editor.

play the game a LOT first. you need to understand and have a good feel for the many and various ways that the game models reality. Then never, ever assume that you know what/how a field is used in the game without a LOT of data to support your assumption. So many players look at a field and based upon their background assume (wrongly) the impact in the game.

This is an old engine written in a day when code speed (and hence size) was critical.

Then go back and start reading ALL of the dev threads, and there are a lot of them. There is a ton of insight on a lot of topics shared.

Finally, when Alfred (or one the devs) speaks, listen. Don't argue. Often they cannot give a full answer due to NDA, but what they give is accurate.

Good Luck!

Pax

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 3
RE: Secondary attributes in unpacked device files - 11/25/2020 3:06:03 PM   
Evoken

1)Just because someone doesnt post on forums it doesnt mean they dont play the game.

2)Its a simple question that can be answered by ; its under NDA its not something i can share with forum etc(even not answering would have been more usefull) , no need for childish snarky answer Alfred.

And Pax , we share knowledge with each other because there is no need to Re-invent wheel when knowledge is out there , question is simply asked to have a better understanding of the mechanic and not break stuff

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 4
RE: Secondary attributes in unpacked device files - 11/26/2020 3:13:59 PM   
JuanG

The secondary device values provide alternative device stats for DP and AA devices in the anti-air and anti-surface roles. IIRC they are not used in the official scenarios, but Babes and many of the modded scenarios make use of them.

For AA type devices (type #12), if the secondary values are set, and Sec_Attr is 1, they are used to set the weapons anti-surface performance. The primary attributes thus become the anti-air ones.

For DP type devices (type #18), if the secondary values are set, and Sec_Attr is 2, they are used to set the weapons anti-air performance. The primary attributes thus become the anti-surface ones.

Original thread where this was brought up; https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2874609&mpage=1&key=

EDIT: From the original readme when it was added to witploadae;
There are a couple of new fields for each device;
"Sec_Attr", "Sec_Eff", "Sec_Pen", "Sec_Acc"

Sec_Attr
This is a secondary attributes field. Its values are '1' and '2' of which only '2' has meaning to the game at the moment.
A value of 2, means that this device has a secondary function of Anti-Air, which implies that the primary function of the device is as an Anti-Surface type. eg DP gun
A value of 1, means that this device has a secondary function of Anti-Surface, which implies that the primary function of the device is as an Anti-Air type. eg Flak gun

Sec_Eff, Sec_Pen, Sec_Acc
These are the secondary values for effect, penetration and accuracy respectively as per the main values. 

For the flak routines, if a device has a secondary function of Anti-Air, it will use the "Sec_" values rather than the normal main values in the calculations.
In the case of the DP for instance, you can set up devices to use different values in the AAA calcs than are used in the naval surface actions.

By default, if the secondary attribute is not on, then the normal values are used which would adjust the DP rating for AAA.

If you add a secondary attribute (1, or 2) and don’t put in any secondary data, you are screwed. The default is then ‘0’ and nothing will function.

Nothing here says what should go into the secondary data fields. They are there for your modding convenience and if you break it, please don’t complain on the tech thread. Only the Babes people support this stuff.

< Message edited by JuanG -- 11/26/2020 3:33:54 PM >

(in reply to Evoken)
Post #: 5
RE: Secondary attributes in unpacked device files - 11/26/2020 4:30:27 PM   
AtParmentier

Thanks a lot, this clarifies a lot.
Thank you for the information and the link. Very helpful and far better than the go away feeling I got from some of the other replies.

(in reply to JuanG)
Post #: 6
RE: Secondary attributes in unpacked device files - 11/26/2020 4:59:39 PM   
Nomad

I would also suggest that you unpack a DBB scenario into CSVs files and see what values they used. I would be very careful about going outside those values by any appreciable amount.

(in reply to AtParmentier)
Post #: 7
RE: Secondary attributes in unpacked device files - 11/26/2020 5:08:43 PM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: JuanG

The secondary device values provide alternative device stats for DP and AA devices in the anti-air and anti-surface roles. IIRC they are not used in the official scenarios, but Babes and many of the modded scenarios make use of them.

Just to clarify that a bit, all of Andy's scenario updates include the secondary device values. But yes, the as-delivered ones do not. One more reason to update your scenario files!

(in reply to JuanG)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Secondary attributes in unpacked device files Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI