Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Being out produced...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Being out produced... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Being out produced... - 11/28/2020 9:55:14 AM   
MrDave

I usually set up a medium map w/ 3 players, stone age and 1 town to start.

In evitably, the AI is out producing me from the very start and begins it's attack before I can generate the PP's to buy the units to defend with.

Is this what you are experiencing as well? How do you work around this?
Thanks.

In Him,
MrDave
TOAW OOBP PC ATG CoH
Post #: 1
RE: Being out produced... - 11/28/2020 8:13:03 PM   
Ormand

This is generally the case. The AI has a few advantages over you. It has free strategic movement and if I recall, it can reassign HQs with the readiness loss (but it does suffer from readiness loss for transfers from one HQ to another). Also, the AI doesn't pay PPs to upgrade raw and oil. You will also need to set up all your HQs and reassign units, which will reduce your readiness. So, it tends to get a head start in the game, and will sometimes start with a furious attack that you need to blunt. It is not often that you will get to start off as the "bad guy" as it is hard to be ready as quickly as the AI.

The AI, however, isn't very bright when it comes to its attacks, and will sometimes take pretty heavy losses that eventually catch up with it.

I would say that one weakness with the game, is that it is difficult to play against the AI and be the aggressor at the very start. But, the battles can be furious and very tense. Although, one strategy is to build a defensive line, and wait until the AI has bled itself down, and then crush it.

I started to look at a scenario with two regimes where the aggressor was chosen at random. In this case, the aggressor "catches" the other regime by surprise and gets start things off. The defensive regime then gets some bonuses, like higher morale, etc., to give it a chance to recover.

(in reply to MrDave)
Post #: 2
RE: Being out produced... - 11/29/2020 5:39:26 AM   
Queenswu66

Web telephone service providers have actually come to be much more popular than traditional telephony companies. All thanks to the current breakthroughs in Internet modern technology. These advancements have resulted in cheaper telephone service and more feature-rich solutions.

(in reply to Ormand)
Post #: 3
RE: Being out produced... - 11/30/2020 9:44:09 PM   
Paul43

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrDave

I usually set up a medium map w/ 3 players, stone age and 1 town to start.

In evitably, the AI is out producing me from the very start and begins it's attack before I can generate the PP's to buy the units to defend with.

Is this what you are experiencing as well? How do you work around this?
Thanks.

Yeah, personally I wish they'd just give the AI more Oil, Raw, and cities to start with instead of having it play by different rules than the player. Not only does it come off as unfair but it negates some legitimate strategies, like strategic bombing. I've read that the AI has as much fuel and raw as it wants, so the only place you use strategic bombers would be on a city and AI cities are bristling with flak and enemy fighters.

But that's how it is. It does create a balanced game in the end so I can't complain too much.

Anyway, there's a few things which can counter this.

1. Never get into a direct arm-wrestling contest with the AI. That is, have only one front, its production lined up against your production. You'll lose that every time. Use diversionary attacks like sea landings which aren't enough to be a major threat, but strong enough that the AI has to do something about them. Have a minor offensive airforce and force the AI to counter it. The energy the AI uses to address these threats will be a lot more than what you used to create them, and that's what you want. I've had no luck using paratroops, either my transports get shot down or I drop the troops on top of a panzer division... but I've heard some other players are really effective with them and they do the same thing my landings do.

2. Never let the AI sit next to you with readiness 100 forces, lining up its attack. Use artillery or aircraft on any potential attacking force. Not with the objective of causing casualties, but to reduce their readiness. That winds up being a big deal. An attacking force with a readiness of 60 will take a lot more casualties than the same force with a readiness 100. Artillery is a massive part of the game and IMO it is impossible to win without being strong in that category.

3. If the AI leaves a piece of land undefended or poorly defended on the front, go take it even if there's no cover and you won't be able to hold it. The main threat from the AI is that you'll just plain run out of land before they tire out. If you take some land cheaply, put some defensive-oriented forces there, and set that force to retreat quickly, it's just another thing that the AI is forced to deal with and diverts their strength for a round or two. It's all about buying time while you get organized, and again, making the AI use more energy than you.

4. A lot of people don't like fortresses, but I do. A fortress might only last a few rounds before it gets shelled into rubble, but its the fortress taking those hits and not your troops. It's especially good when you're the french and have the different fortress options available. Engineers are really important overall. Building bases and fortresses, but also putting up roads and bridges, making the terrain favor you.

5. Last, your units. Don't spend too much on them at first. Assault guns are just as good as tanks in defense, they're a lot cheaper, and they don't get annihilated by artillery like infantry do. Infantry and bazookas are good enough when operating in rough terrain. Don't build more mechanized units than you can supply. If you go into the AI round with 0 oil, your fighters can't intercept and your tanks suffer a penalty if attacked. Also, let new units gain experience if possible. Once a unit is built I turn off TOE for it because I don't want their experience to get diluted by raw recruits. When experienced units get whittled down I merge them. And with new units, I try and put them on garrison duty or have them hold a quiet part of the front until their experience gets to 40 - experience climbs to 40 automatically over time, so sending units with 10 exp into a meat grinder will cost you a lot of resources over time and isn't really productive, since they'll gain that experience anyway without needing to get shot to bits.

A lot of little things like this are needed to overcome the AI advantages, but these extra things add up and are what make the game fun IMO.

< Message edited by Paul43 -- 11/30/2020 9:50:47 PM >

(in reply to MrDave)
Post #: 4
RE: Being out produced... - 11/30/2020 9:49:53 PM   
ernieschwitz

Good advice there :)

(in reply to Paul43)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Being out produced... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI