Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Can't start game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> Korsun Pocket Support >> Can't start game Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can't start game - 8/9/2003 11:01:03 PM   
jokyonim

Hi folks,

I can't seem to get the game to run. I got cocky on my first install and changed the default path to c:/programfiles/matrix... rather than just c:/matrix...

After that didn't work, I uninstalled and reinstalled with all defaults. Korsun menu comes up, but hitting play game gets me nowhere.

I'm Win98, P3-500, 256 RAM, 16MB video, directx9, 1024x768

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!
Post #: 1
- 8/9/2003 11:16:50 PM   
Fallschirmjager

I dont think the menu works for anyone

Have you tried it from the start menu and the .exe in the file itself?

(in reply to jokyonim)
Post #: 2
- 8/9/2003 11:42:13 PM   
jokyonim

Dbl-clicking on korsun.exe gives me nothing. Though I can run korsun_editor.exe and edit things...

Ctl-Alt-Del shows me that Korsun is an active program after I try running it, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything.

(in reply to jokyonim)
Post #: 3
- 8/10/2003 12:33:45 AM   
Marc von Martial

It´s beeing not clear from your first post. Did you install a first time, then uninstall, and then install to another location?

[QUOTE]I dont think the menu works for anyone[/QUOTE]

The menus have been tested extensivly on various Ms OS's and different machines. They do work. But as every piece of software there might be problems, especially on messy systems.

(in reply to jokyonim)
Post #: 4
- 8/10/2003 1:27:46 AM   
jokyonim

Sorry about that. Yes, I installed the first time without using the default file path. Instead, I told the installer to install under c:\Program Files\Matrix Games\etc. I tried running Korsun from this first install and the menu worked, but hitting Play got me nowhere.

I uninstalled everything and then re-installed. This time I let the installer pick the file path. It wants c:\Matrix Games\etc (instead of nesting under Program Files as I would prefer). I let it install and I got the same result. The menu opens up. I can get to Forums and other links from the menu, but hitting Play gets me nowhere.

Ctl-Alt-Del shows me that both Korsun menu and Korsun are active programs (after I hit Play), but Korsun does not show up as a running program on the toolbar.

I also tried double-clicking korsun.exe straight from the original icon and get the same result. korsun_editor.exe works though.

My system resources say they have 69% free (under System/Performance) when I have nothing running. When I have Korsun menu open and Korsun trying to run I have 65% free. Considering I have 256MB RAM, I can't imagine that's the problem. I have Directx9, not 9a, but the box says it will run on 8.1. So, I'm thinking that's not it either.

Not sure what to think, but would really like to start playing... Thanks again for any help!

(in reply to jokyonim)
Post #: 5
Video Settings - 8/10/2003 5:07:13 AM   
Bender

Greetings,

Hope this helps……….

I run a Compaq AMD-k6 333MHz with 96MB laptop (small screen, which is important here) on Windows 98SE

This is what I found, and I think (hope) it will help.

On my first install every thing went perfect, no problems, the game installed just fine. By the way, I don’t think the install directory will make a difference, the shortcuts should point to the correct location regardless.

My video set up (control panel) was as follows.

High Color 16 bit
Screen area 800 x 600
THIS PART IS IMPORTANT

Advanced \ Monitor \ Change……… click Next
Set (select) display list- Show all. I had “laptop 1024 x 786” selected. (more detail on this at the end)

This was how I had the system set up, and every thing worked just fine!!!

OK, so I decided to get fancy and make things better right, and this is what I did, AND THE PROBLEM I HAD SOUNDS EXACTLY LIKE THE ONE YOU ARE HAVING.

I changed my display to the following.

256 color
Screen area 800 x 600
Advanced \ Monitor \Change \ Next
I set this to 800 x 600 to match my screen area ** this is were I think the problem is happening**

After I did this, the game would not start, just as you describe. When I put it back to the original settings, everything worked fine. I’m not sure what you Video settings are, but this might help.

Again, the tricky part (for me anyway) was getting to the advanced settings which are as follows,

Control Panel /Display/Settings/Advanced
- NEW WINDOW-
Monitor Tab/Change, select next…
Click on the “Select a list of all Drivers….” Option
Select next….
Click on the “Select all Hardware” option

This is were it gets tricky, again this is only “advice” so don’t blow up your system. hehe

I’m not sure what to select here, but as in my problem I had the screen selection here to small. Originally it was 1024 x 768 and it worked perfect. When I changed this to 800 x 600, the game stopped loading, just as you said (or in your case never loaded). And when I put it back, whamoooo it works fine.

It could be the 16 bit high color vs. 256 color, but I don't think so, anyway, give that a try as well, it might help.

Hope this helps let me know how it works. I think this is the best game engin out there it’s a great game!!!!!!!!

Regards,

Bender (a.k.a. Vader)

PS. The menu works fine for me, I just let it load.:D :D

(in reply to jokyonim)
Post #: 6
- 8/10/2003 6:22:51 AM   
jokyonim

Hi Bender,

Thanks for the thoughts. I scrolled through the items you mentioned. I'm 16 high color, 1024x768, and going to adv/monitor/change/all drivers/all hardware I found I have a Plug and Play driver. If I don't pick all drivers/all hardware, Windows tells me that the Plug and Play Driver is the only one compatible with my monitor, which is a generic 19".

I'm a little nervous to change it to say "Super VGA 1024x768" driver, when it appears to be not compatible. The other driver has worked for a lot of other games/softwares I have installed. I'll hold off a little longer to pull that trigger and see if Matrix staff or others have a solid answer.

By the way, since korsun_editor.exe works, I'm thinking its not a driver issue, cause I can see the game in the editor mode and the graphics are fine. I think its something with korsun.exe specifically, but not sure what.

Thanks again, and I hope to be up and running soon.

(in reply to jokyonim)
Post #: 7
- 8/10/2003 4:19:03 PM   
Warrior Poet

A driver that is designed for your video card should be more stable in most applications. If you know the makers of the card, or the maker of you computer you should be able to find drivers on the applicable website.

And since no one has mentioned this yet, make sure you have the latest service pack for 98. That usually effects stability.

Just because the editor works doesn't mean it's not a driver error, the game has an intro video that the editor doesn't. That video could trigger an error. Stranger things have happend, I had a network card refuse to work on me because it didn't like the slot it pluged into on the motherboard:)

And just for the record Fallschirmjager...The menu works great on my system.

Win XP
P4 2.26 Ghz
512 Ram
WinFast A250 128mb (GeForce 4 chipset)

(in reply to jokyonim)
Post #: 8
- 8/10/2003 6:03:45 PM   
Marc von Martial

[QUOTE]I don’t think the install directory will make a difference, the shortcuts should point to the correct location regardless.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, the game doesn´t care about a specific install path. Whenever you run the installer the install paths get´s set in the registry. This is were the game picks it´s informations about the install path. So as long as you don´t move the complete dirctory around (by cut and paste for example) after a standard installation nothing can happen here.

Can you please do me a favour and attache your DirectX dialog file to a reply here? If you feel unsafe about posting it here you can also send it to me via a PM or Email.

How to get the DirectX Diag file:

Search on your Operation System partition for a file called:

dxdiag.exe

You can generally find it in the "system32" folder of your OS's directory.

Run the dxdiag.exe, perform all checks and test and then click on "save all information", save to your desktop and attach the TXT file to your reply.

(in reply to jokyonim)
Post #: 9
- 8/12/2003 7:33:43 AM   
John Pancoast

Add me to this list. Re-installed, etc. Nothing happens upon startup. Just sits there, no noise, etc.

Got to go now, try messing with it again later.

Already using the correct directx, fwiw. Does having a different desktop res than the game uses matter ?

(in reply to jokyonim)
Post #: 10
- 8/12/2003 8:47:12 AM   
John Pancoast

[QUOTE]Originally posted by John Pancoast
[B]Add me to this list. Re-installed, etc. Nothing happens upon startup. Just sits there, no noise, etc.

Got to go now, try messing with it again later.

Already using the correct directx, fwiw. Does having a different desktop res than the game uses matter ? [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, this stinks, really stinks.

Tried different desktop res. color, etc. Still no go. Installed the dx from the disc, worth a try, no go.

And fwiw, my system is far from "messy."

(in reply to jokyonim)
Post #: 11
- 8/12/2003 9:00:18 AM   
John Pancoast

[B]Well, this stinks, really stinks.

Tried different desktop res. color, etc. Still no go. Installed the dx from the disc, worth a try, no go.

And fwiw, my system is far from "messy." [/B][/QUOTE]

My dix test file is attached.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jokyonim)
Post #: 12
- 8/12/2003 12:44:37 PM   
e_barkmann

John, update your Nvidia graphics driver. I had many issues with the old 41xx series drivers.

(in reply to jokyonim)
Post #: 13
- 8/12/2003 6:11:13 PM   
Marc von Martial

[QUOTE]And fwiw, my system is far from "messy."[/QUOTE]

That reference was only in regard to the Windows "AutoPlay" feature ;).

[QUOTE]Does having a different desktop res than the game uses matter ?[/QUOTE]

No, it doesn´t matter.

I´m on it guys, just give me a few.

(in reply to jokyonim)
Post #: 14
- 8/12/2003 7:27:07 PM   
John Pancoast

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Marc Schwanebeck
[B]That reference was only in regard to the Windows "AutoPlay" feature ;).

No, it doesn´t matter.

I´m on it guys, just give me a few. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know Marc, np :) Thanks for the info.

Chris, yep, tried that too. Applied destroyer to the current drivers, tried card maker stock drivers, updated Nvidia, etc.
Still no dice.

But thanks for the tip.

(in reply to jokyonim)
Post #: 15
Me too! - 8/13/2003 3:48:53 AM   
bulsi2001

I am also having a similar problem. I'm running Win2k, directx 9b, an ati9700 with an amd xp2500+.

It seems to me like a CD copy protection issue. When I try to launch the game, the CD spins up, the HDD spins up, and thats it!

The korsun.exe program shows up as a running process, but it can not be killed. The graphics stop refreshing properly, and then I have to hard reset just to get my computer back.

(in reply to jokyonim)
Post #: 16
- 8/13/2003 4:50:04 AM   
Marc von Martial

Jsut a quick question, is anybody of the people having the problem running two CD/DVD drives, or a burner and a CD/DVD?

(in reply to jokyonim)
Post #: 17
- 8/13/2003 4:58:59 AM   
bulsi2001

I'm running a cd player/burner and alcohol 120% BUT the game is NOT running on the virtual drive.

(in reply to jokyonim)
Post #: 18
- 8/13/2003 6:31:02 AM   
John Pancoast

[B]Jsut a quick question, is anybody of the people having the problem running two CD/DVD drives, or a burner and a CD/DVD? [/B][/QUOTE]

Nope. Single cd here, no dvd at all. No sound, hard drive action of any kind.

Korsun shows when I ctrl-alt-del, and I can end task it immediately.

Question: Is there supposed to be a message about rebooting upon end of installation ? If so, I have not seen it.

Comment: If it helps, I fired up the manual, and noticed that the chapter titles are cut off at half length. I.e., "How to move units" would show as "How to"

Don't think it's an Adobe issue, but who knows.

(in reply to jokyonim)
Post #: 19
- 8/13/2003 6:37:17 AM   
Marc von Martial

[B]

Question: Is there supposed to be a message about rebooting upon end of installation ? If so, I have not seen it.

Comment: If it helps, I fired up the manual, and noticed that the chapter titles are cut off at half length. I.e., "How to move units" would show as "How to"

Don't think it's an Adobe issue, but who knows. [/B][/QUOTE]

The installer checks if you need to reboot, depending on your OS and setup.

As for the PDf things, what version of Arobat reader are you running?

(in reply to jokyonim)
Post #: 20
- 8/13/2003 6:46:07 AM   
John Pancoast

[B]The installer checks if you need to reboot, depending on your OS and setup.

As for the PDf things, what version of Arobat reader are you running? [/B][/QUOTE]

Ok, thanks. Fwiw, I've re-installed around six times. Only once was I asked for a reboot, if that helps.

Using 5.0 Acrobat. I should install 5.1 off the cd and take a look.

(in reply to jokyonim)
Post #: 21
- 8/13/2003 7:09:10 AM   
Marc von Martial

[QUOTE]Using 5.0 Acrobat. I should install 5.1 off the cd and take a look.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, it should work well with 5.0, don´t think a 5.1 upgrade will help, but who knows ;).

Actually the PDf has been exported with 4.0 compatibility.

Maybe a complete uninstall and reinstall of Acrobat Reader will help.

(in reply to jokyonim)
Post #: 22
- 8/13/2003 7:34:47 AM   
John Pancoast

[B]Hmm, it should work well with 5.0, don´t think a 5.1 upgrade will help, but who knows ;).

Actually the PDf has been exported with 4.0 compatibility.

Maybe a complete uninstall and reinstall of Acrobat Reader will help. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'll give it a try. The actual manual text is fine, just the chapter headers.

(in reply to jokyonim)
Post #: 23
- 8/13/2003 7:41:25 AM   
elmo3

John

I haven't followed the whole thread here but have you tried installing on another computer to see what happens?

elmo3

(in reply to jokyonim)
Post #: 24
- 8/13/2003 8:03:12 AM   
Marc von Martial

[B]Yeah, I'll give it a try. The actual manual text is fine, just the chapter headers. [/B][/QUOTE]

wierd, hmmm

Will check the appropiate forums, to see if it´s a "known issue" in some occasions

(in reply to jokyonim)
Post #: 25
- 8/13/2003 8:19:04 AM   
John Pancoast

[QUOTE]Originally posted by elmo3
[B]John

I haven't followed the whole thread here but have you tried installing on another computer to see what happens?

elmo3 [/B][/QUOTE]

What other computer ? :)

(in reply to jokyonim)
Post #: 26
- 8/13/2003 9:43:32 AM   
jokyonim

[B]Jsut a quick question, is anybody of the people having the problem running two CD/DVD drives, or a burner and a CD/DVD? [/B][/QUOTE]

I have two CD drives. My D is a 50x CD-ROM. My E is a SONY CD-RW CRX100E. Neither is DVD. I've only used the D drive to try to install and run Korsun.

When I try running it, I don't crash like Bulsi2001. Korsun.exe just gets stuck (nothing appears either), but I can 'end task' with Ctl-Alt-Del.

(in reply to jokyonim)
Post #: 27
- 8/13/2003 11:16:34 AM   
Fred98

The question of 2 drives came up because of the problem in Uncommon Valour.

In that game patch 2.3 was released and something weird happened.

Some people have 2 CD drives (EG: CD ROM and CD burner)

The game was installed and run from the first drive.

After installation of patch 2.3, the game will not run from the first drive. You must move the CD to the 2nd drive and run it from there.

A very weird bug indeed.

If you cannot run the game then there is a conflict with a piece of hardware or software in your system. Which piece I have no idea.

I note that Microsoft can test their software on virtually every combination of software and hardware but Matrix doesn’t have that sort of ability.

If you specify all your hardware your software specs (those that affect game play) Matrix might find the problem.

The more info the better.

(in reply to jokyonim)
Post #: 28
- 8/13/2003 11:38:34 AM   
gus

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jokyonim
[B]Dbl-clicking on korsun.exe gives me nothing. Though I can run korsun_editor.exe and edit things...

Ctl-Alt-Del shows me that Korsun is an active program after I try running it, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. [/B][/QUOTE]

Hi jokyonim,

This sounds sounds like a copy protection issue as the KP editor does not require a CD check to run, i.e. it will start without the CD ROM in the drive.

The KP main program however does require it and I believe that is why your CD spins and the program just hangs waiting for the check to complete which apparently it never does.

Also many people will tell you to look at your hardware and update your drivers etc.. While there are certainly times when this may be necessary this course of action should only be taken when all other avenues have been exhausted.

-g

(in reply to jokyonim)
Post #: 29
- 8/13/2003 11:41:18 AM   
John Pancoast

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gus
[B]Hi jokyonim,

Also many people will tell you to look at your hardware and update your drivers etc.. While there are certainly times when this may be necessary this course of action should only be taken when all other avenues have been exhausted.

-g [/B][/QUOTE]

Especially when every other piece of software works fine :)

(in reply to jokyonim)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> Korsun Pocket Support >> Can't start game Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI