Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[Logged] Unexpected AAW intercept mission and wingman behaviour

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [Logged] Unexpected AAW intercept mission and wingman behaviour Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[Logged] Unexpected AAW intercept mission and wingman b... - 11/12/2020 9:49:05 AM   
Zathred

I'm confused as to what is going on in the attached simple test scenario.

The unfriendly Red side has sent a Tu-160 to watch over a USA carrier battle group. When it closes to within 100nm of the carrier the USA launches an AAW intercept mission using F-35C fighters.

The behaviour of the AAW mission is not deterministic with each re-run of the scenario but usually:

1) All x8 F-35s are immediately launched as x4 flights assigned to the AAW Intercept mission

2) One flight heads towards the Tu-160. Sometimes the lead splits from the wingman and heads separately towards the Red A-50U

3) All other flights head north west and then go for a sightseeing tour around the northern coast line despite having both the Tu-160 and A-50U targeted and no Red or unfriendly units anywhere near their course

Enter the attached scenario as the USA side to see this in action

Steam Command V1.02 build 1147.14

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rory Noonan -- 11/13/2020 2:06:21 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Unexpected AAW intercept mission and wingman behaviour - 11/12/2020 9:51:12 AM   
Zathred

Example outcome

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Zathred)
Post #: 2
RE: Unexpected AAW intercept mission and wingman behaviour - 11/12/2020 10:00:49 AM   
Zathred

I've run the same scenario from the same save multiple times. In one run the lead for one flight intercepts the Tu-160 while his wingman joins the rest of the flights in their northern coastline sightseeing tour.

I would expect to see repeatable deterministic behaviour from the algorithms in a simple scenario with the same starting point

< Message edited by Zathred -- 11/13/2020 9:22:11 AM >

(in reply to Zathred)
Post #: 3
RE: Unexpected AAW intercept mission and wingman behaviour - 11/13/2020 2:06:32 AM   
Rory Noonan

Logged for investigation.

(in reply to Zathred)
Post #: 4
RE: Unexpected AAW intercept mission and wingman behaviour - 11/30/2020 9:57:27 AM   
Geoffropi

Hi Zathred,

I am not sure to understand the issue. I have run the save you've provided and patrol and intercept behaviours work as expected.

If the issue you are mentioning is having a non-deterministic behaviour between saves: this is normal as there is a great deal of randomization in the simulator.
IIRC, CMO uses pseudo-random number generation with the computer's system time as a seed.

Geoffroy.

(in reply to Rory Noonan)
Post #: 5
RE: Unexpected AAW intercept mission and wingman behaviour - 11/30/2020 11:15:41 AM   
Zathred

How many times did you re-run the scenario?

In a number of re-runs of the scenario the pair of F-35s that engage the TU-160 split with one closely tracking the bomber whilst the other flies off to the north where there are no contacts despite having both the TU-160 and A-50M targetted.

As Jester said to Maverick in Top Gun: "You NEVER leave your wingman"

I don't expect the exact same behaviour in each run but in this case I see an example of the "butterfly effect" where tiny differences in timings and PRNs lead to major changes in behaviour. Maybe it's something to do with reloading an existing scenario in the same session etc

(in reply to Geoffropi)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [Logged] Unexpected AAW intercept mission and wingman behaviour Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI