Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Most SP Mortars do not have a shell weight in game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> RE: Most SP Mortars do not have a shell weight in game Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Most SP Mortars do not have a shell weight in game - 11/30/2020 4:54:42 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zovs

Good points. In SP and ASL, both systems have built in ROF and for all AT and AFV they have fast, slow, and normal traverse for guns and turrets.

I'd suggest that this level of detail would be overkill for the Operational scale, so could just be bundled into a single factor.

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 31
RE: Most SP Mortars do not have a shell weight in game - 11/30/2020 7:39:21 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

If you want to go to the trouble of putting in shell weights for every weapon then do it. The game will look at it and ignore it if the weapon does not fit the profile for one having an effect as spelled out in the manual.

Huh? The game will "look at it" but as far as I'm aware what it will "look at" is the shell weight. Thus if you've added shell weight which was previously zero, then that will increase the effectiveness of that equipment at flipping defenders to a "mobile" status.

Or are you suggesting that this effect is somehow hardcoded to the equipment, and can't be edited?

"look at" as in made aware of...an 81mm mortar should not be able to cause a unit to go from entrenched to mobile or any other state. They just don't have the ability to destroy earthworks. They are simply not that powerful. They can suppress entrenched forces and cause some casualties but that's about it. And they certainly are not precision weapons. It doesn't take much to move them a few yards off because of their high arch, low velocity and low shell weight. They do actually stop moving at the top of the arch if it's steep enough. They did not fire todays precision ordinance.

< Message edited by Lobster -- 11/30/2020 7:40:43 PM >

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 32
RE: Most SP Mortars do not have a shell weight in game - 12/1/2020 12:44:58 AM   
Zovs

A counter point to that Jack is that all armies since 1914 have used mortars in some fashion or another over the last century. Mortars are cheap and easy to train a crew on and get HE and smoke out to the company that is fighting. I agree that they don't remove entrenchments, but for sure they cause lots of suppression.

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 33
RE: Most SP Mortars do not have a shell weight in game - 12/1/2020 1:17:50 AM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zovs

A counter point to that Jack is that all armies since 1914 have used mortars in some fashion or another over the last century. Mortars are cheap and easy to train a crew on and get HE and smoke out to the company that is fighting. I agree that they don't remove entrenchments, but for sure they cause lots of suppression.

Yup. A units mortars were the fastest on call close support artillery there was. With smart munitions they are better than ever.

So back to the OP's concerns. Mortars carried by an apc are made to be used dismounted too. They are no different than any other mortar of the same size.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 34
RE: Most SP Mortars do not have a shell weight in game - 12/1/2020 12:34:27 PM   
dpabrams

quote:

So back to the OP's concerns. Mortars carried by an apc are made to be used dismounted too. They are no different than any other mortar of the same size.

I have contracted myself to add shell weight to all the SP mortars in my update of the Lebanon 82 scenario. Which incidentally had several broken events that have been fixed and was in need of custom IDF equipment and a downgrade of Syrian AT rounds in the 125mm. But I digress.

Vote for Pedro

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 35
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> RE: Most SP Mortars do not have a shell weight in game Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI